REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:16 AM   #76
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
What? A senior killing a dog? WTF? Why wasn't he at home watching reruns of Matlock? That's what seniors are supposed to be doing........ hee hee, hue hue, pew pew.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2018, 05:01 AM   #77
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Am I missing something here? CTV interviewed this guy. He's not a wanted fugitive
I wasn't trying to say he was one. I was leaning towards public awareness. An incident happened and witnesses are needed and they need to hear his side of the story. They know what he looks like and throw it out there hoping people are able to identify him so he can come forward.
I'm not sure if it was ctv or global or one of the other stations but they did a segment not to long ago about taking peoples photos in public. I belive they were saying if you're in a public setting on public property a photo can be taken with or without their consent.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #78
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
I bet if ya'll saw the dude on the street, you wouldn't do fuck all anyways. If it's something you can't deal with, why does it matter to you? Leave it up to the police.

And why would it not matter on how the dog was injured or handled during the attack? It's these situation where I like to take the opportunity to discuss on what I would do, how it was handled, etc. and perhaps share knowledge with each other. If you don't feel like learning from it, that's your choice, but don't go telling others not to.

Simply put, if you don't have an opinion or anything to share on the situation, you don't have to respond to my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
You can play armchair veterinarian all day for all I care, but don't defend this lowlife.
As I said above, I couldn't care less what your opinion on harness safety is. Not my dog, not my problem.

Lol did I say I was going to do anything? I'm not the one pretending to be Mr. I'm-an-expert-who-knows-what-to-do-in-every-situation (hint: that's you). I'm not stupid enough to risk my life over some dude's dog who I don't even know. My only issue is that you seem to think that appealing to the public for help is useless. Guess you must know something that all of the law enforcement agencies on the planet don't. They must be wasting their time. Kudos to you.

If I saw this guy in public I would definitely have called the police and at least kept eyes on the guy if the police showed any interest in appearing.

You know what though, you're right. If something you care about gets fucked up and I see the guy on the news, I'll call the police and ask first "hey is this the guy who fucked up mr. chin (you may know him as the Bear Grylls survival expert of Revscene)'s ____?" "yes" "ok never mind" . I won't do fuck all anyways. Wouldn't want to be a witch hunter
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #79
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Oh.
My.
God.

There's a footage of the dog lying on the ground twitching in the CTV news footage.... My heart dropped.... Poor thing and its owner. Cannot imagine if the same thing happens to me.

Any dog shouldn't feel the need to "defend" itself if the owner is in control. Dogs fight because the owner lost control. I would say the owner of the deceased dog also lost control but it's unfortunate it happened so quickly, I'm not sure I would have done more than him in that split seconds. The pitbull has no business being off-leashed in the first place assuming it's an on-leash area.

Dogs' aggressiveness has little to do with the breed and a lot to do with how they were brought up from the puppies stage and if boundaries were set by the owner(s) or not. A pit or rot having massive strength doesn't mean it's "inherently aggressive". Banning an entire breed is ignorant.

Owning dogs and bringing up dogs to be well-mannered pets are super hard work. Unfortunately there is no standard or check & balance to owning one. Maybe I'm biased but you can kinda tell from the footage that the pit's owner is a cunt. His first reaction was to get into the other owner face, pushing him around and then proceed to walk away like a little bitch with 0 responsibility. It's a good thing there was a footage and there is possibility for the other owner to go after him, otherwise it would have been hearsay.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Let's ban all cars over 300hp while we're at it. Good drivers or not they are way too fast for any street driving and all they do is cause accidents.
Well, in the future, I actually hope they ban all cars that are not autonomous. Manual driving cars only for tracks.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #81
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
There's a HUGE difference in having a plan, and being prepared to execute it.

Unless the owner is literally practicing on how to defend his dog from other dogs on a regular basis, it's only head knowledge on the "what to do" that won't translate to real execution in the heat of the moment, especially if it's something that requires split second thinking. It doesn't matter how well of a plan you have.

---

What caused the most damage was when the other dog jumped and latched on. That pretty much ripped the other dog right off the leash. I'm sure swinging around a noose wouldn't be fun, but it would be a lost worse if someone grabbed on and pulled you hard enough so your head slipped through it.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #82
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

https://www.facebook.com/darrenandphillip/

https://www.instagram.com/the_blueboys/?hl=en

not the breed but the owner
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #83
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
The argument is like saying not everyone who wears Ed hardy clothes is a douche

Sure maybe the 1% isn’t, but the other 99% are.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #84
I bringith the lowerballerith

Remember when Ed hardy clothing was banned from clubs
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #85
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Not my dog, not my problem.
Yup, and yet you would call the police on the dude. But wait, isn't it not your problem?

Pathetic.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #86
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Yup, and yet you would call the police on the dude. But wait, isn't it not your problem?

Pathetic.
So if you saw someone getting mugged or attacked or saw a wanted person would you not call the police?
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #87
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Harness are there for a reason, so you can lift a dog like that in any situation with out strangling it..

Its unfortunate that the event happened and even more so the outcome.

I think going to the news was probably a great thing to do. People need to be held responsible for their actions or inaction. Just like the thread about the Sheltie or the other one. the other owners did not care or walked away.
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9 View Post
So if you saw someone getting mugged or attacked or saw a wanted person would you not call the police?
Old 02-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #89
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9 View Post
Nope, have you seen the content of his posts?

He would just sit back and then discuss - at length - on an internet forum about the advanced martial arts techniques he would have employed if it had happened to him. And then whine about how the police are committing a "witch hunt" by appealing to the public to find the person responsible.

Since apparently these days it's "pathetic" to do the bare minimum as a citizen.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #90
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
in the follow up video its pretty clearly some kind of pitty cross, they zoom in on it in the news story portion after the surveillance video.

While it is a blanket statement, in my experience pittbulls are pretty shit dogs imo.. and i've -never- known any respectable person or family to own one. They are an aggressive breed, period, thats not an opinion its fact. These stories are ALWAYS this type of dog whether its a pure bred or cross, notice how it's never a golden retreiver, or hell, even shepherds etc.
Thats fucking bullshit man. Have you ever heard of media bias? Anytime a pitbull is involved they will feature the story because it gets a reaction like that.
A fucking dog was killed 2 weeks ago by a shepherd at the mosquito creek dog park yet it didn't get a mention on any news source because they couldn't create an online comment shitshow to get people to watch their ads.
If my dog kills another dog the news would call him a "pitbull mix." If he pulled a baby out of a burning building he'd be a "mixed breed" dog by the media.
Here is a list of dogs responsible for fatal attacks on humans. (edit: In canada, since the statistics have been recorded until 2017)
Quote:
Breed of Dog (# Attacks):
Husky 10.5 25%
Unknown Mix (northern dogs) 10.1 24%
German Shepherd 4.7 11%
Rottweiler 3.95 9%
Sled Dog 3 7%
AmStaff/Pit Bull 1 2%
Bullmastiff 1 2%
Chow Chow 1 2%
Labrador 1 2%
Malamute 1 2%
Maremma Sheepdog 1 2%
Mixed Breed 1 2%
Unconfirmed 1 2%
Collie 0.5 1%
Jack Russell 0.5 1%
Wolf 0.5 1%
Border Collie 0.25 1%
Heres a dangerous dog article posted by global vancouver in 2017.
Quote:
So-called dangerous dogs have been in the spotlight over the last year, after a series of attacks left multiple people in hospital.

But an investigation by CKNW has discovered the breed most often classified as “dangerous” might not be what you’d expect.

In many media reports, Pit bulls were identified as the aggressive dog.

READ MORE: Two dogs to be put down after attacking 75-year-old Surrey man

But through Freedom of Information requests, CKNW has learned the breed with the most number of incidents in Metro Vancouver is actually… the German Shepherd with 103 dogs registered.

Despite popular belief that the Pit Bull breeds are the most “aggressive,” the bull took spot number two at 86.

Number three on the list? The Labrador Retriever.
Are pits dangerous? Sure, they can be.
Are dogs over 60lbs dangerous? Sure, they can be.
Are pits the most likely to be in a poor situation with trash owners because of an image? Probably.
A series of circumstances leads to pits bad reputations, based on:
1. consequences due to a powerful bite
2. overbreeding and frequency of pitbulls in shelters
3. likelihood of pitbulls being owned by fucking garbage due to their media image
4. any short haired, blocky headed mutt being mislabelled in any sort of fight due to peoples uneducated and preconceived notions of the breed.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 02-05-2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: for clarity about stats.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #91
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
While it is a blanket statement, in my experience pittbulls are pretty shit dogs imo.. and i've -never- known any respectable person or family to own one. They are an aggressive breed, period, thats not an opinion its fact. These stories are ALWAYS this type of dog whether its a pure bred or cross, notice how it's never a golden retreiver, or hell, even shepherds etc.
That’s a condender for the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on revscene.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 AM   #92

Quote:
Nope, have you seen the content of his posts?

He would just sit back and then discuss - at length - on an internet forum about the advanced martial arts techniques he would have employed if it had happened to him. And then whine about how the police are committing a "witch hunt" by appealing to the public to find the person responsible.

Since apparently these days it's "pathetic" to do the bare minimum as a citizen.
I think the wisest thing to do IS discuss in case it does happen to us and I've stated that before. What else are you gonna do? Start a gang and go hunt down the dude? Yeah, you're a big man now.

At least I don't have double standards like you. "Not my dog, not my problem, but I would call the cops on him". Dogs without a leash isn't illegal. The dude isn't guilty of anything, hence why he hasn't been charged? You have no facts, no evidence, nothing, and you want to call the police on him. Lol. This is why you're pathetic.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #93

Having an off leash dog in an on leash dog area is actually the main factor in who is determined at fault, pending an investigation from the SPCA, when there are dog attacks.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #94
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post

Are pits dangerous? Sure, they can be.
Are dogs over 60lbs dangerous? Sure, they can be.
Are pits the most likely to be in a poor situation with trash owners because of an image? Probably.
A series of circumstances leads to pits bad reputations, based on:
1. consequences due to a powerful bite
2. overbreeding and frequency of pitbulls in shelters
3. likelihood of pitbulls being owned by fucking garbage due to their media image
4. any short haired, blocky headed mutt being mislabelled in any sort of fight due to peoples uneducated and preconceived notions of the breed.

Kinda number 2, but more specifically, number of pits out there compared to other breeds.
Those statistics don't take into account per capita. So they're not really an accurate measure, IMO.
I'm not arguing one way or the other. Just pointing out that those statistics do not completely detail the case.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #95

Stats are a tough one with pitbulls, because they aren't solidified as an actual breed. Pits to one person are only an ABPT, to another are ABPT, Amstaff, english staffy, bull terrier, dogo argentino, cane corso, etc, then to another could be any short haired mutt with a blocky head and large chest. A friend of mine had a "pitbull" that when she was DNA tested she ended up being a great dane and cocker spaniel or something ridiculous like that. 0% pitbull DNA, and 100% a pitbull by visual identification.
As always, statistics never paint 100% accurate picture, but I'd be willing to bet there are as many pits as shepherds around metro Vancouver. Labs who came in third I'm sure their are tons more, but then when you get down the line you'd likely see huskies in there and there are barely any around the city.

I really want to get across the point that I totally get pits can be dangerous, but the media hysteria creates an unreasonable fear of them over any other dog. They all come from the same family tree, and while certain traits are higher in breeds than others, there is no genetic "snapping" trait that a pitbull has, THEY DO NOT LOCK THEIR JAWS as somebody on here so inaccurately posted, and they actually have a lower bite pressure than shepherds, rottweilers and several other dogs.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 02-05-2018 at 07:47 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #96
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts
Just randomly reminded of a case on People's Court a while back about the plaintiff suing the defendant for vet bills after both their dogs got into a fight. The plaintiff had a big dog while the defendant had a rat dog. The rat was unleashed and picked a fight with the big dog. Both dogs were ultimately injured but what was interesting was the notion provided by people outside the courtroom and the judge herself that the small dog can't do much damage while the big dog can kill, therefore blame should be placed on the owner of the big dog (the plaintiff) despite the small dog being the aggressor and off leash.

The plaintiff ended up losing because he only supplied the vet bills (payment) and not the work order showing the medical procedures done to his dog.

There should be special licensing required to own dogs. That way only passionate dog lovers can go through the process to own them rather than the mental midgets who do end up owning them.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #97
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
The breed list of attacks pretty much lines up with what I would have thought. I don’t really know much about Rottweilers but the rest of the list are dogs that definitely seem to be more aggressive/tempermental

With pitbulls it just goes back to shit owners, the husky that has some fob owner like all the ones roaming around downtown that probably doesn’t know a lick of training is just as likely imo to attack another dog than a pitbull, but people in general don’t look as huskies as an overly aggressive dog because of their “cute” factor when infact they are probably as wild as any other breed.

Pit bulls though are just on a whole other level when it comes to bad/stereotypical owners. And with that comes typically bad training and a poorly behaved/non integrated dog

I think a lot of people here completely underestimate what it takes to “train behavior out” of a dog. I’ve known a few breeders and a few people who essentially their whole lives are their dogs. One former landscaper I used to work with had an absolutely beautiful Belgian Maliois who are notoriously smart and hard to train. This guy spent 90% of every day with this dog and it would even come to work with him (she had her own high-vis vest) he told me that this was like his 10th dog or so and second Maliois and he had a crazy training regiment for all his dogs, with this newest dog he nearly got rid of it twice because even spending 90% of your day with it she would get bored and mishbehave if she constantly wasn’t challenged.

That is the type of training you need to breed tendencies out of dogs, not buddy guy toss a bowl of food out back to a dog chained to its dog house.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 02-05-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote