REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #76
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Look up a concept about your "emotional fuel tank".

Basically, there's things that fill (fun, rest, sex, etc..) and drain your tank (work, finances, people, etc..). You have to make sure you do stuff that fills your tank. Otherwise, your fuel is going to run out, and you'll be 'stranded'.
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #77
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
I haven't read all the responses, but I'll add my thoughts.
You seem to have a "destination addiction." Its a big part of being goal oriented, but always ends up with someone looking forward to the future, as needing to accomplish something before they are allowing themselves to enjoy the present. I have felt like this before, and felt like this for the last year. I always needed to accomplish something before I could just enjoy my time. An obsession of thinking ahead that once I finished a certain goal or task, I could relax, and always would end up finding something else I needed to do.
A major turn around happened for me about a month ago. I quit my job, even with the fear of making less money, and more importantly, a job that I, and my family and friends were very proud of.
My wife supported my decision and said we could do whatever it took to make ends meet, whether it meant her picking up OT, money from our parents, etc if I couldn't get back to work right away. That was a total worst case scenario, and something looking back I don't even understand why I was that worried, as its not like we couldn't afford for me to make less money, but when you are so anxious about something your brain naturally tends to overreact.
I went on a vacation with 10 of my closest friends. We all talked about everything, and I realized, none of the people closest to me gave a fuck if I was successful financially, or if I was a janitor. They cared if I was happy, and so many of them went through similar problems to me.
I realized they all felt the same way about me as I did about them. I never cared if they were a business owner or a plumber or a chef or a cop. We just wanted to talk about what made us happy. Our interests, our families, the hilarious thing that happened to us last week or last decade. Our notions of self image were shattered, and replaced with something much more important.

My advice is: make some time for your family, and your closest friends. Reach out and let someone who cares, know that you need to talk, and you need to have some fun.

Don't let your desire for perceived success (money and belongings) outweigh your desire for true success (happiness.)

Don't be afraid to talk to a professional. Good luck, I know the feeling, and it sucks, but nothing is fucked. You can get through it, but you will need to be willing to make a change.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 04-16-2018 at 09:46 AM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #78
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I went on a vacation with 10 of my closest friends
I too have many friends.

Spoiler!

OP - Learn to stop and smell the roses, once you figure that one out, life becomes much more enjoyable.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #79
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Regardless of whether OP - who hasn't come back yet - was trolling, pretending he's Marco, etc. this is one of the best threads on RS in a long time.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #80
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Regardless of whether OP - who hasn't come back yet - was trolling, pretending he's Marco, etc. this is one of the best threads on RS in a long time.
my thoughts exactly. I think this was important for a lot of people to see - myself included
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #81
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Don't let your desire for perceived success (money and belongings) outweigh your desire for true success (happiness.)
happiness vs pleasure

I really think this is what it comes down to. I came across this article and it really resonated with me. I'd go as far as to say that true success might not even equal happiness... sometimes you just need to let go and that's all it takes. Remember being a kid and care free? - that. but responsibly obviously lol
Old 04-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #82
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am going something similiar. Is gotten so bad even my co-workers/family is noticing it. I mean I am not sad but also not happy either. I have no drive to do anything. Not sure why but I didn't have to shower I prolly wouldn't lol.

I actually didn't know what happen. I was actually fine a few months back. I used to love playing videos so I went back to that to get my drive up again. That didn't work, Is gotten so bad I couldn't even get hard at all even watching pron. Is so wired too out of the blue last week I just deleted my pron collection, like everything. Not reason no though into it. My mind was blank. Maybe I am just too stress but doesn't notice it. Another wired thing I notice is that I could not sleep at all. I would be wide awake till 2 in the morning get up at 5:30am to get ready for work and I will be fine. Before if I didn't get at least 6 hours of sleep I will be super tired. Not anymore.

I do still try to force myself to go out, exercise hang out with friends, see my parents and niece. Hopefully this will be over soon.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 04-21-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #83
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I am going something similiar. Is gotten so bad even my co-workers/family is noticing it. I mean I am not sad but also not happy either. I have no drive to do anything. Not sure why but I didn't have to shower I prolly wouldn't lol.

I actually didn't know what happen. I was actually fine a few months back. I used to love playing videos so I went back to that to get my drive up again. That didn't work, Is gotten so bad I couldn't even get hard at all even watching pron. Is so wired too out of the blue last week I just deleted my pron collection, like everything. Not reason no though into it. My mind was blank. Maybe I am just too stress but doesn't notice it. Another wired thing I notice is that I could not sleep at all. I would be wide awake till 2 in the morning get up at 5:30am to get ready for work and I will be fine. Before if I didn't get at least 6 hours of sleep I will be super tired. Not anymore.

I do still try to force myself to go out, exercise hang out with friends, see my parents and niece. Hopefully this will be over soon.

Don't worry, it won't. You'll just find something else to occupy you time and attention. That'll get you sleeping again
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #84
I subscribe to Revscene

There are philosophers to help people figure out and navigate through this energy sucking debt machine system we're in.

Inspirational Nomad
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd...Hu7pUzQ/videos

Timothy Ward
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4O...NelwTag/videos
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #85
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've a friend who was diagnosed with cancer in November 2017. Today, he may not live to see May 2018. I've seen him on and off since 2010 and this made me realize.. wow time goes by quick and when you've 1 life to live...don't waste it.

EDIT: I forget to mention that he turns 25 in June. We celebrated his birthday early last week.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #86
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
If he's still mobile, get him to take care of that bucket list. If he doesn't have one, it's never too late to start/make one. Chemo and Radiation is a bitch. My wife in the end said, "No more. I want to die with dignity and eat the foods I love and still taste it." There comes a point where you know nothing is going to work. It's better to live happy for two days than suffer for two weeks in misery. How's he handling it?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 AM   #87
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I’m currently on a vacation (half work and half pleasure). I’m floored at the number of comments and shares.

I’ve messaged a few of you privately.

It’s incredible to see the comments in this thread. I remember the days where threads like this would turn into flame wars and burst into chaos.

I’m really lost for words. Thank you all so much and for what it’s worth, if there is any way I can help, even if it’s just as a sounding board, feel free to reach out.

I hope this thread can help if only so that those feeling a bit beat up, know that you’re not alone.
Marco.911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2018, 03:38 AM   #88
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco.911 View Post
I’m currently on a vacation (half work and half pleasure). I’m floored at the number of comments and shares.

I’ve messaged a few of you privately.

It’s incredible to see the comments in this thread. I remember the days where threads like this would turn into flame wars and burst into chaos.

I’m really lost for words. Thank you all so much and for what it’s worth, if there is any way I can help, even if it’s just as a sounding board, feel free to reach out.

I hope this thread can help if only so that those feeling a bit beat up, know that you’re not alone.
Looks like RS has grown up and turned into an actual community instead of a bunch of kids back in the day arguing over the internet who's got the bigger e-dick. All the 18 year olds turned into middle aged men, which only means one thing, no matter how old we get, how much we make, or where in the world we've moved to, we still waste time on RS. LOL
Old 04-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #89
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I'm bumping this. I think there's a lot of sage advice and valuable perspective from the posts here that can help those who are going through the challenges of physical distancing, financial uncertainty, anxiety, depression etc.

"Things could be worse" is an empty platitude without examples or context. This thread does a really good job of filling that gap.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #90
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
To continue on, was touched to see you have 10 close friends to go travel with.

Had buddies who play poker EVERY week for the last 10 years yet have NO clue what sort of job he/she does in the group.

Broke the bond to really get to know one another; no homo shit, but it was still hard.

Found out few things
1) WE ALL had family issues. Mom or dad passed away / serious illness
2) Marriage issues are brushed off to the side due to kids.
3) Kids should never come first; each other comes first.
4) Do not have too many bros keeping each other accountable;
eg// a) shady work stuff
b) relationship / martial issues
c) addiction.

I'll stop for now. Bro are always ... fuck let's just watch the game / play poker or grab a beer, but never really had a chance to sit down and talk. Took a while, and really hope to embrace this trend is finding a good support group.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: