REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 07-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #26
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,152 Times in 389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Things also got really confusing when I found out that Sharp and Toshiba are made by hisense in North America.
Sharp sold their TV factory and licenced their name to Hisense in 2015/16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhas00 View Post
Yeah i read that too. The funny thing is sharp and toshiba are respected brands aswell. The problem buying the highest end tv is that in 2 or 3 month the tech is already old and something new and "better" is available.
Were respected brands. Not sure how they are now after Hisense took over.
Keep in mind what sources you're using too..no point in having the bells and whistles unless you have the sources to use it (all the different hdr formats for example.) Or the TV has great upscaling.
Advertisement
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
I haven't seen a Toshiba TV since 1999, and Sharp hasn't been relevant since 2010 though I like their IGZO technology

my philosophy is different
buy something relatively high-end and ride on that for 8 years
mind you i'm not someone who has their TV on 30 hours a week so I haven't seen failures before
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,401 Times in 3,474 Posts
A friend was looking for a TV. Told him to buy a Vizio after seeing all the reviews online. He bought it from openbox and has had no problems. The picture looks pretty good. unless you look at 2 TV's side by side most new TV's will look pretty good.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #29
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
mind you i'm not someone who has their TV on 30 hours a week so I haven't seen failures before
Me and my parents used to have this mentality before when I was young, and the philosophy used to hold true. We've always had a midrange Sony tv of some sort, and each one lasted us somewhere between 8 to 12 years while getting a 6 - 8 hour workout nearly each and everyday. We are on our 3rd Sony tv that I remember, and this one is probably ~10+ years old as well?

The problem is, I am just not sure whether the same philosophy still works with any manufacturer anymore. My personal experience tells me that Samsung and LG tvs will probably not last that long (and almost certainly not 10+ years). Two of my friends have had their Samsung and LG LCD tvs die within 2 - 3 years after purchasing it brand new. Several others have had less than 5 years with their Samsung / LGs as well.

At this point, I almost feel like I should just treat TVs (esp Samsung and LG?) like smartphones -- esp those from Samsung and LG as well -- be prepared to throw them out after 2 - 3 years when they die.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #30
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
I haven't seen a Toshiba TV since 1999, and Sharp hasn't been relevant since 2010 though I like their IGZO technology

That's what I did for my first flatscreen. Spent a lot on a 40" Sony XBR 10 years ago... Said I would use it til it died but it's a long time and opinions change... Been wanting to upgrade to something bigger for years now and the only thing holding me back was I spent so damn much on that TV. That's why now, I have a price point and I buy as big a TV as I can get for that price point. Upgrading it in 4-5 years won't bother me so much now.

I only managed to upgrade it recently because my dad said his monitor was on its way out. Gave the TV to him as a monitor and got myself a $900 65" hisense.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #31
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,400 Times in 5,672 Posts
For me personally I’d rather have a higher quality smaller panel than a lower quality larger panel.

It’s kind of a shitty time to buy right now because OLED’s are still so expensive.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
that's still like 6 months away lol
6 months is perfectly acceptable since it's summer at the moment (most people stay out rather than stay in)

Have people actually lined up to buy the boxing day deals or just ordered online?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #33

none of the deals you have to "line up" for are worth it imo. Those are all the bottom end models
Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #34
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,177 Posts
I bought my Vizio M55-E0 (2017) model on clearance for $600 from Costco. Add on an extra 3-year warranty (total of 5 years) for $60, and I'm set until 8K TVs become a reality.

The Vizio M series is a great sweet spot, it has HDR, 4K, local dimming (enhances bright/dark contrasty scenes) and now has a normal remote not the weird tablet one. The built-in Chromecast is also great for streaming stuff from online sources. The P Series is better picture quality if you are OK with the slight extra cost.

Vizio P55-F1 (2018 model) at Costco for 1049/999. Hard to beat this unless you go OLED, and that's going to be double the price.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #35
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Brother bought his Samsung 4k TV from Vancouver Electronic Depot by the corner of Boundary and 2nd Ave awhile back. The guy helping us was really easy going and answered all our questions and wasn't your typical pushy salesman

Vancouver Electronic Depot
1790 Boundary Road, Burnaby, BC V5M 4M2
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #36

bought our Sony XBR6 52" 10 years back, still works like day 1 although it looks tiny now and the colours look very average by modern standards

got a Samsung F8500 64" in 2014 (a model from previous year) it's a 1080p plasma that still gets the job done for console games and blu-rays...with an emmisive display i haven't felt the need for HDR and 4K for casual but dark-room consumption

I have high res monitors for editing and pc gaming where I need/crave the pixel density

don't think I can go back to medium/small TVs for the living room any more...8K mLED 80"+ may you be affordable one day lol
Old 07-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
For me personally I’d rather have a higher quality smaller panel than a lower quality larger panel.

It’s kind of a shitty time to buy right now because OLED’s are still so expensive.
I'm looking into getting a 65" OLED this Black Friday, but I just walked through best buy the other day and saw the Sony X900F in the 75" model and god damn, the sheer size difference over the 65" models makes it a very tough choice.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but they do say the biggest regret when buying a tv is that you didn't go big enough. The 900F is getting great reviews though, and I agree with you that I'd rather have a smaller good TV over a huge entry level piece of crap.

The problem in the store is that they are all playing 4k demos and look great, it's only when you get home and hook it up to cable TV where you see what a good tv and a shitty one really looks like.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:22 AM   #38

usual 720p streaming looks like absolutely crap on the samsung 64"

I didn't realize hisense 65" was under $800...I might understand why people don't care if their kid smashes one few years down the road then
Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 AM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

didnt full read thru the thread.

theres a place on first boundry and first ish called Vancouver Electronic Depot.

they carry cheap tvs sometimes. website too.

pay in cash they usually let you go away without taxes
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Me and my parents used to have this mentality before when I was young, and the philosophy used to hold true. We've always had a midrange Sony tv of some sort, and each one lasted us somewhere between 8 to 12 years while getting a 6 - 8 hour workout nearly each and everyday. We are on our 3rd Sony tv that I remember, and this one is probably ~10+ years old as well?

The problem is, I am just not sure whether the same philosophy still works with any manufacturer anymore. My personal experience tells me that Samsung and LG tvs will probably not last that long (and almost certainly not 10+ years). Two of my friends have had their Samsung and LG LCD tvs die within 2 - 3 years after purchasing it brand new. Several others have had less than 5 years with their Samsung / LGs as well.

At this point, I almost feel like I should just treat TVs (esp Samsung and LG?) like smartphones -- esp those from Samsung and LG as well -- be prepared to throw them out after 2 - 3 years when they die.

yeah, that's how i think alot of us were raised.

now i treat everything as disposable. i had a samsung plasma that lasted 3-4 years before it wouldn't turn on anymore. before i used to care more about what brand things were (i don't know if it actually made a difference in the past, but i'm sure goldstar was crap back then...) but now, i have no qualms about getting a hisense/vizio/whatever.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #41

Thanked 8,939 Times in 3,884 Posts
I want to get a ~65" sometime in the next year but I'm way out of the game on features. From what I gather everything big is 4k @ 60Hz, unless you spend a lot more and get 120. Most seem to be "smart" TVs which provides zero benefit to me. I don't even need 4k (there's hardly any content, and has cable even made it past 720p yet?) but it looks like I don't have a choice for a big screen.

Is it possible to get a 4k @ 120 regular TV without spending a fortune or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #42
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,152 Times in 389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I want to get a ~65" sometime in the next year but I'm way out of the game on features. From what I gather everything big is 4k @ 60Hz, unless you spend a lot more and get 120. Most seem to be "smart" TVs which provides zero benefit to me. I don't even need 4k (there's hardly any content, and has cable even made it past 720p yet?) but it looks like I don't have a choice for a big screen.

Is it possible to get a 4k @ 120 regular TV without spending a fortune or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?
Cable still compresses the HD signal so you're not getting "true" HD (1080i/p 720P) unless you're using an over the over the air antenna.

There's no need for the 120hz, as your TV is extrapolating the extra frames to smooth out the video. It leads to that "realistic" soap opera effect you get. It's the first feature I turn off if the TV has it, as I can't stand the effect.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #43

I have video that is 1080@120 and I like the smoothness. I don't have cable, I just find it funny that everyone is producing and buying 4k TVs that just get hooked up to the same terrible feed that still hasn't caught up to the screens made over a decade ago.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #44
HELP ME PLS!!!

That was the case with 1080p as well. When those TVs were released, there was not very much content for them.

Pretty long read, but here are the display technologies, and their descriptions, coming out in the next few years.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-e...ntumdot-future
Old 07-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #45

Telus 4K boxes output true 4k content now, as well as HDR 4k content

4K Netflix is also a true native 4k signal and they have literally thousands of hours of 4k content now. Every series released is now in 4k.

I felt like it was worth it when breaking bad and a handful of series were in 4k. Now it’s bexoming more and more common place and is, IMO, completely worth the upgrade for the 4k Netflix alone.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #46

4k streaming is still worse than Blu-ray 1080p
but that's earlier stuff like breaking bad...may be they've improved the codec further with higher bitrate...im a bit out of the loop now
Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #47

New stuff like Altered carbon is as good if not better I’d say just from my experience.

Problem with blu rays is no one is watching them anymore. It’s a dieing medium so you’re going to have to get that full quality via streaming services
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #48
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Problem with blu rays is no one is watching them anymore. It’s a dieing medium so you’re going to have to get that full quality via streaming services
I've been so out of the loop on this AV stuff, and I am both surprised and not surprised to hear this.

On the other hand, the VPL's BluRay collection has been steadily getting better. Been raiding their collection on a regular basis in the last little while, and it makes DVDs look like an ancient joke.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #49

That's unfortunate, since I prefer to own my content. Streaming is great but I've seen enough things disappear from Netflix to know that I want hard copies of the stuff I really like.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #50

I havent read much into the situation on forums like AVSforums etc but before, even like 4 years ago there was a big demand for "high end" BR players like the OPPO etc

now i almost never see BR discs being used as baselines etc outside of like home theatre tests.

They are still way too expensive to justify, i'm not paying $30 for a 15 year old movie