REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #101
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Which Team Negative 1 already did several years ago at 1080p. They took an original theatrical reel from the 70's and scanned it all at 1080p and called it the Silver Screen Edition (SSE), which is what I've been referring to and apparently you haven't heard of. Now they've done the same thing again but at 2160p. I know about Harmy's despecialized, I've seen the special edition crap, but after seeing the original SSE and knowing the poor quality of the theatrical reels it comes from I'm struggling to see why scanning the same low quality source at an even higher res is going to make it look any better.
So why are you asking "what's the point" of a 4K release?

What's the point of a 4K anything?

SSE was very grainy... This one comes in super grainy form as well, but also with DNR that came out this week.

I don't know what else to say... To each their own I guess.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #102
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
4k is great if you're starting from something high quality, but what's the point of 4k scans of something low quality? Taking a blurry image and scanning it at a higher and higher resolutions isn't going to make it less blurry. The DNR will help but it would help the SSE just as much.

Now that you have a copy of 4k77 try flipping between them and see if the non-DNR UHD looks any different from SSE in HD. It'd be great if it was an improvement over HD somehow but I'd like to know before committing another 130GB of storage to edits of SW. I've already got the SSE and despecialized and the ADM versions so the amount of space being used up by SW is starting to approach excessive lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #103

Quote:
4k is great if you're starting from something high quality, but what's the point of 4k scans of something low quality? Taking a blurry image and scanning it at a higher and higher resolutions isn't going to make it less blurry. The DNR will help but it would help the SSE just as much.

Now that you have a copy of 4k77 try flipping between them and see if the non-DNR UHD looks any different from SSE in HD. It'd be great if it was an improvement over HD somehow but I'd like to know before committing another 130GB of storage to edits of SW. I've already got the SSE and despecialized and the ADM versions so the amount of space being used up by SW is starting to approach excessive lol.
Dude these are the original prints, it's literally the highest quality of source that exists for a movie filmed in 1977. Even 4K isn't high enough to match what a native pixel-by-pixel scan would be (that would be something like "6K" probably, you can probably look it up.. something like 5400x3600) It's a bit dirty and very grainy, but as you saw in the video I posted, that is taken care of for the most part. After all, it would have been grainy in theatres in the 70's and 80's anyway (of course if you're watching it on a TV rather than projecting it, you'll want to get rid of some of the grain artificially, since most of it wouldn't show up there either)

The prints won't be any more "blurry" than they were in 1977.

DNR would help the SSE too of course, but SSE was scanned at 1080p, so only really suitable for 38" screens and below.

If you have a big TV or a projector, you'll want the highest resolution scans possible. Obviously projecting the original prints on a silver screen would be the best, but not many people have access to 35mm film projectors... Hell even most theatres don't have them anymore

If you're happy with SSE then good for you All I'm saying is that the 4k77 isn't a total waste of time or storage space if you have a large TV or a projector, and want something as close to the original source as possible.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #104

I'm not saying they'd be more blurry, I'm saying that because the original print is so blurry the effective resolution (if you took a pixel-by-pixel scan and then combined all the identical pixels and counted up what resolution it ends up at) is going to be low, certainly lower than something made from a higher quality print filmed more recently (like Terminator 2). All the noise on top of the blur makes it even worse, so I'll likely get it anyways just for the DNR.

To me the main appeal isn't added clarity of HD to begin with, it's being able to watch it as the theatrical edit, so I guess a large part of why I'm questioning the point of this is because we have the SSE of ANH but no real equivalent for ESB or RotJ (just the despecialized editions which as you said aren't that great), so creating a SSE of those would be a much bigger jump than ANH going from HD to UHD.

I mean after watching SSE going and watching any version of ESB or RotJ is a downgrade, with the DNR of 4k77 that gulf only gets bigger. On the plus side they're working on RotJ next, then hopefully ESB, and at the rate they did 4k77 the trilogy will be done when my kid is old enough watch them so they can see it very close to the same way their grandparents did back in the 70's/80's which is pretty sweet.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 AM   #105

I think in a roundabout way, we're agreeing with each other

Why not give it a look and see how you like it. Sure 40GB is a big download, but if it fits within your limit, why not? It's on TPB (use their tor site, and make sure you have your VPN on during download).

You might like SSE just fine (for me the grain would be too much on a TV screen) but the 4K DNR looks great. It might not look as good as if Lucasfilm were to do their own 4K release, but theirs would be the shitty SE versions, so those don't count. If they did an HDR version, they might convince me to give it a look... might....

I do like the idea of introducing your kids to the movies in their original form

Edit: Someone made an 8-bit low bitrate version, which is 5Gb and may be enough to let you know if you want to bother with the full version.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 PM   #106

I bit the bullet and got 4k77, 4k77 DNR, and 4k77 Grindhouse because fuck it why not. Talking about this and looking at how much debris there was in SSE made me want the DNR. To me that takes it from the version you watch sometimes to see the original edit to the version you watch every time. The Grindhouse version is interesting because it hasn't been touched up at all so you're seeing as close to the actual reels as you can get.

Reading about it more I learned that they started with a better copy of the film than they did for SSE as well, I mistakenly thought it was the same reels as before. Since they were going to have to rescan it anyways to get a digital copy to do the DNR it makes more sense to just do it in 4k.

For the kids I'm torn on which order to show them in. Release order or numerical order? Normally I'd want to see a story in order but numerical gives away the family connections which are some of the big surprises.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #107

Quote:
I bit the bullet and got 4k77, 4k77 DNR, and 4k77 Grindhouse because fuck it why not. Talking about this and looking at how much debris there was in SSE made me want the DNR. To me that takes it from the version you watch sometimes to see the original edit to the version you watch every time. The Grindhouse version is interesting because it hasn't been touched up at all so you're seeing as close to the actual reels as you can get.

Reading about it more I learned that they started with a better copy of the film than they did for SSE as well, I mistakenly thought it was the same reels as before. Since they were going to have to rescan it anyways to get a digital copy to do the DNR it makes more sense to just do it in 4k.

For the kids I'm torn on which order to show them in. Release order or numerical order? Normally I'd want to see a story in order but numerical gives away the family connections which are some of the big surprises.
Yea SSE was always a copy to begin with, so not quite as close to original

As far as order goes, I'd say go in order of release. Sure it's not the way the story goes chronologically, but it's the way it was told. Playing them in chronological order might be like re-editing Pulp Fiction to play chronologically

Plus they won't have expectations of CG going from the prequels to the OT..

That's IMO anyway, I don't have kids so I can't say. That's how I would do it though, and I think it would be really fun!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #108

Bumping this back up cause I can't find the other thread, 4k83 is out now too.

I've got a few things in 4k and my inlaws just bought a mahoosive 4k TV so I'd like to watch some of it, the TV supports video playback via a USB port but what kind of transfer rates do I need to playback 4k60 smoothly? I'm guessing USB 2.0 isn't up to the task so I'd need a fast drive in a good 3.0 case.

I might just bring a whole tower computer over there, from my understanding a GTX 770 should be able to push it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #109

Is there a newer version of 4K83 than the one in November?

USB 2.0 should be plenty fast enough, as long as it's not a super cheap slow stick. 4K83's video bitrate is 65 Mbps
Old 01-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #110

I think just that version, I was just late on the uptake. I've got some decent sticks but the file size becomes a problem. I might have to split it into a couple files and use multiple sticks.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #111

Yeah that's what I do currently when I watch a 4K movie. Kind of a pain in the ass, but better than low bitrate encodes. Planning on buying this, since the write speed is so fast (most memory sticks have really low write speeds, even expensive USB 3.0 ones)

If you plan on buying a new stick, I highly recommend looking up the write speed. Most manufacturers don't list it either, so you may have to look up reviews of each one. Amazon customers usually share benchmarks which helps. (don't read their comments though, most people don't know how any of this stuff works)
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:45 AM   #112

Update: USB arrived and I get around 240 MB/s true write transfer speed with it. Totally happy with it!
This post thanked by: