REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
God

Advertisement
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,253 Posts

best god

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
I guess the closest i would categorize myself would be agnostic. That is, i don't know.

I never gave religion too much thought. Just always figured if it helps you to be a good person, makes you happy, and you're not harming anyone, i can't be judgmental of that.

The words "faith" and "belief" imply that it's not something that can be proven.
And I know that if everything meaningful in my life required definitive proof, i wouldn't have much in the way of meaning.

Even our theory of how existence came to be requires as big a leap of faith as the idea of a creator.
The fundamentals of matter itself are inexplicable. That 99.99% of an atoms density are contained in .01% of its volume. What does that say of reality?
Particle wave duality? These are phenomena that defy anything we know.

And science can attempt to explain the "what". But what about the "Why"?
I know it's all up to each individuals interpretation, but for myself, I'm having a little trouble putting all my eggs in that one basket.

PS, What's dmt?
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #29
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Agnostic

To claim I don't know is to be humble.

To claim I do know would be arrogant.

As for religion itself, I find religions like Christianity and Islam to be super boring. Give me Nordic, Greek or Hinduism any day. So many epic stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
PS, What's dmt?
Dimethyltryptamine

It's a psychedelic
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #30
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'll disagree with anyone who insists humans have everything figured out.
how full of their own shit would they have to be to claim to think humans have figured EVERYTHING out lol.

i think there is a type of humble experience just knowing that you're at some level in the universe where you cannot understand most of what is above you. and most of everything... is above you. we're just some cosmic ants with 4 legs and 5 mini legs on top of every other leg, kinda gross if you think about it... and i'm fine with that.

lets find some alien's house to invade

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 08-12-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #31
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Imo the creation and widespread use of the Internet was arguably a greater creation to mankind than the electricity which powers it. Edison creates the lightbulb,a single person has that knowledge. It lives in the Internet, everyone has it
Like I've said many times, the internet was the greatest leap forward in hive mind (psychic?) evolution (sounds corny yeah i know).

from a biological standpoint, when viewed from the outside... there's no discernible evidence as how we share information so fast. at the speed of light. eventually internet 2.0... then v9000... bio implants or whatever. shit that basically makes our access to information (internet) super efficient and near instantaneous...

we'd basically be psychic, or appear to be, to the less evolved, or to something that would view us as completely alien.

and if you think about it, we are evolving at a frightening speed. when we research animals, we tag em, watch em, maybe come back in a year or years later to check up what they've been doing.

you do that with humans, and its like, one time you see them they were riding horses, the next time you see them, they have global instantaneous communication, harvest nuclear power, and they can figure out problems faster than every human mind in previous existence put together... im very surprised the exterminator hasn't fuckin come by and cleansed this sector of space from any hyper evolving potential monsters such as ourselves. or perhaps we're so dangerous there's a huge cosmic sign that says "DO NOT ENTER, CONTAMINATED AREA", that's why we havent seen anything, cuz everything INTENTIONALLY avoids this area. too big of a headache to deal with, easier to just ignore.

i take back what i said in my previous post about just being weird looking ants... we're like very primitive psychic alchemists.

seemingly communicating faster and faster at greater and greater distances, and more efficiently pulling energy out of smaller and smaller things. being able to convert or create materials that would take thousands or millions of years in nature to happen.

there might be a god now, but in the very end, we could take his place, if we don't kill ourselves or get killed off first.

let's not forget that God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness”

we'll succeed where Satan failed. we'll overthrow god. just give us 1000 trillion years to evolve. BRB.

PS I am not agnostic... as

"a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God"

well, I don't know if god exists. BUT if god DOES exist, then it is obvious that everything about god is all around you. and the existence and nature of god is literally everything.

it would be like going into someones self created virtual world from scratch... and saying "there can be nothing known or can be known about the existence or nature of this words creator"... which is ridiculous. you learn a lot about what something is, or who someone is, by looking at what they create. and if god created this world and us and everything, then we can deduce a lot about him just by looking around us and in the mirror.

but if he DOESNT exist... well fuck me, something must exist? i mean, the universe exists already, isnt that already by some definition, god? lol.

god could be a "space" in which things can exist and happen.

outside of that god, nothing exists. just a void of voidness. lol.

I think the real question for those that dont believe in god is what is outside the universe? and that? and that? and on and on... IS there an ultimate apex where you can firmly point your fingers and say "that is the highest level you can get to... ever"

and then for those that do believe in god... the question is... is that god?

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 08-13-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #32
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
YALL NEED JESUS
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #33
RS controls my life!

dont believe in god but if there is a god, then the best way to describe is that it could be anything and not a physical being. God could be something that created all existance in the universe. It could be an energy form or some type of matter we dont even know yet thats there but invisible in space. The existance of the universe and life in general is too complex. There are such weird and amazing things even on our planet and we cant explain why. For example, dolphins and whales have sonar built in their heads, and their capability to detect things in the ocean are far greater than that of any on board a submarine. There are fish and animals that create their own light in the deepest parts of the oceans and there are animals that can camouflage. Who is to say some humans have not developed their use of the pineal gland in their head?

anyways the universe is just a mysterious place and just about anything can happen and exist. There has to be an end to everything in space, if not, what is beyond space if it keeps going? is there just whiteness outside of the blackness of space? Its hard to imagine there is no end because theres got to be something at the tip. Too confusing for me to even try to explain all this!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #34
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Grew up in a Catholic household. My moms side of our family grew up the same way and it carried on.

It started with my grandmother as a child and her parents immigrating from Italy making their way to Canada. She lived in an abusive household and ended up running away before the age of 10 and wound up living at a nuns covenant for the majority of her youth into her 20's. Married before WWII and after that started having kids (I've a big family). They all grew up religious and so did their kids, my cousins. I lived beside a church my mom still goes to and I was baptized, had my 1st communion there, went to catechism, and was an alter boy for years just like RRxtar was.

Do I believe everything in the bible? No. But I like to believe in something greater than what we are. I no longer attend church except for the important days to my mom - Christmas and Easter. I don't ever talk "god chat" to anyone as I have an RPM rule - no religion, politics, or money with people.

Even though people don't believe in something it never stops them from praying to something in times of crisis. Who are you praying to or your thoughts going to?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Raised Catholic but I'm an Atheist. I don't have an issue with anyone believing in anything they feel enriches their life but just don't ram it down my throat.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #37
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
i'm an athiest. i suppose there is a chance that there is a god but it's not disprovable, but that doesn't make it any more likely to be the truth.. and the truth is what i'm concerned about. if believing in rare earth stones, crystals, or the holy bible make your life better, then go ahead.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #38
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Nobody, it's a figure of speech. I say "god damn it" a lot but I'm not literally asking god to damn whatever I'm referring to at the time. They're just phrases that worked their way into everyday speech and have lost all religious meaning.
Yup, atheist/agnostic here, and I use god all the time as an idiom. It's just part of the english language. Thank god most people realize that
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #39
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
What a surprise, everyone here is agnostic/atheist. I think BC is one of the least religious places in the world. Is it any wonder this is THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH TM?

Seriously, I sometimes think everyone here is just too high on themselves and their own farts to believe in God.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #40
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
God dammit.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #41
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,330 Times in 5,645 Posts
For me as well, the history of most religions is so miniscule relative to the history of even the earth and human society that it begs the question as to what makes it believable outside of just using faith as a crutch in your life.

As kinda far fetched as that first Zeitgeist movie is, the part on religion has a lot of good points in terms of how Christianity and most modern religions all have their basis in Egyptian beliefs and even prior to that. IE. the winter solstice or whatever of the run falling for 3 days then being "reborn" and begin longer days mimics christs death and rebirth etc. Everything is tied into shit like that.

I spent some time yesterday reading up on Judaism and honestly their Torah actually seemingly makes more sense than the Bible, as most consider the Torah to be founded prior to creation and the basis on life itself.

Just saying somthing was created prior to creation seems to make it more believable than a book thats been re-written by kings and whatnot in the bible.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #42
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
I've had this conversation as joking around with co workers many times. If you've no belief at all in any religion should you be entitled to religious holidays? Christmas, good Friday and Easter Sunday/Monday?

Christmas - birth of Jesus Christ
Good Friday - Jesus crucified
Easter Sunday - "The third day he rose again from the dead." - apostles creed prayer
Easter Monday - I'm not actually sure why but I'll take it.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #43
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Allahu Akbar
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #44
Need to Seek Professional Help

God fearing Catholic. Born and raised... Whether I believe it or not...
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #45
I am Hook'd on RS

I studied several religions and my final stop was Jehovah's Witnesses.

They have, in my opinion, the best translation and understanding about the bible.

They don't believe in Hell or Heaven and they say it's your choice to serve god and that we've been given free will to chose our path. They have a good explanations for everything I ever questioned and very little "it's a mystery my son" type answers.

But anyways, walked away from there with the idea if there is a God - the only punishment is death. If there is no God - then the end is death.

So at the end of the day - we're just going to die...and I'm good with believing that.

I can sleep at night now not worrying about what comes after death LOL.

The whole concept of the afterlife is the only thing that kept me questioning everything. The idea that something happens to our minds after death to me always sounded wack.

So at the end of the day, I've chosen to believe God is real and that he's given us free will to do what we want - therefore I live my life how I want - Sex Drugs & Rock n Roll!
XSSIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Atheist.

My father doesn't like to discuss his upbringing much so I'm not sure what Protestant denomination he was raised on but he was agnostic in his teens and an atheist by the time he was a Marine in Vietnam.

My mother is agnostic, raised Anglican. She still believes in a god, an afterlife, and such.

Neither of my parents discussed beliefs or a lack there of and left my sister and I to figure it out on our own. Once in a while, one of my grandmas would give us a book of Children's Bible Stories or something of that nature, which we largely ignored as it.

I know the Lord's Prayer through and through thanks to the public school system, which still allowed it in the mid 80's. My grade 1 teacher made us recite it every morning. While all the kids had their heads down and eyes closed, the IE girl and I would try to make faces at each other or draw funny pictures to get laugh without getting caught. The words had no meaning, and seemed to be on par with singing O Canada in the mornings.

If a god were to reveal himself, demonstrate his abilities, etc., I imagine I would treat him like Pickard and crew treat Q in Star Trek.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #47
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yup, atheist/agnostic here, and I use god all the time as an idiom. It's just part of the english language. Thank god most people realize that
Most people use "Let us" all the time and never ask who's letting you... lol... it's just speech.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #48
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Have any of you who are atheist/agnostic been in a situation where your life may end and you turned to a "god"?

Lets say you were skiing and fell off the side of a cliff and no one was around to see or hear you. Would you start "praying" to a higher power for some sort of salvation?

I've never myself been in a situation like this but like mentioned above I used "god" as an idiom in day to day speech. This may stem from being raised catholic many many years ago.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #49
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
dont believe in god but if there is a god, then the best way to describe is that it could be anything and not a physical being. God could be something that created all existance in the universe. It could be an energy form or some type of matter we dont even know yet thats there but invisible in space. The existance of the universe and life in general is too complex. There are such weird and amazing things even on our planet and we cant explain why. For example, dolphins and whales have sonar built in their heads, and their capability to detect things in the ocean are far greater than that of any on board a submarine. There are fish and animals that create their own light in the deepest parts of the oceans and there are animals that can camouflage. Who is to say some humans have not developed their use of the pineal gland in their head?

anyways the universe is just a mysterious place and just about anything can happen and exist. There has to be an end to everything in space, if not, what is beyond space if it keeps going? is there just whiteness outside of the blackness of space? Its hard to imagine there is no end because theres got to be something at the tip. Too confusing for me to even try to explain all this!
This isn't a knock on you or anything but a huge chunk of the population just doesn't have a good understanding of science. Most people don't take the time to learn because it doesn't interest them. That's how we have things like fear of chemicals, belief in the supernatural, etc... Sure there are things that science can't explain but science is knowledge up until now. If it's worth exploring, science will eventually be able to explain the currently unexplainable.

Using your examples of an energy being and animals...

Energy isn't something tangible, it's not something you can see, touch, feel, etc... It's a measurement of something's ability to perform work. The units are Joules, Watts, Calories, etc... If someone says that ghosts are pure energy, ask your self how many Joules are in a ghost or.... if ghosts=E and E=MC2 then ghosts=MC2....

Animals are the way they are because of millions of years of evolution. A series of random genetic mutations resulted in their current form today. For example, bears in the north didn't used to be white. A few bears born with a genetic mutation that resulted in white fur gave them the ability to blend in with their surroundings. It gave them the ability to hunt better than the black and brown bears. This gave them a higher probability of survival, they start breeding with other white bears and that genetic trait is passed down while the other bears slowly died off. Traits and abilities of animals don't just show up, it's a result of millions of years of fine tuning.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #50
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
What a surprise, everyone here is agnostic/atheist. I think BC is one of the least religious places in the world. Is it any wonder this is THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH TM?
A lot of that has to do with the general demographics of people on this site. I am sure that is predominantly males aged 18-30.

As far as hobbies go, being a car enthusiast is probably one of the more costly pastimes. To afford that, most of us are well educated and/or come from families who are.

A strong facet of being well-educated is the ability to have an open mind. Which is why I think such a great percentage of us are Agnostics.

If we were to ask people aged 50+, I am sure the answers would be very different. Or in rural vs. urban communities, etc....
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: