REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 09-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #76
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I don't use a lot of widgets either but they let you customize your phone your way. If I want the iPhone experience, I'll open my app drawer.
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
This may be a surprise but I had an iPhone 7+ then went to iPhone X for a bit but due to my car accident and the fact I wasn't getting a pay out for a while I know I needed some cash, so I sold the x and went with a 6s plus that I still had from before.

I know the x with applecare+ will do me pretty well as I have used it in the past but its the form factor of the Xr that gets me. Just a bit bigger in my hand to me, is a bit better. When using the X I felt it was a bit small. Not the screen mind you just the overall shape was smaller than I liked.
U tried the xr already? Lol
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
As ^ said, that's purely a matter of perspective and how to spin it.

I can just as easily say Samsung owned up to their mistake, recalled everything, and tried again - whereas Apple just said whatever, your fault. Granted bad reception isn't as catastrophic as exploding cellphones, but the philosophy is relatable.
Yeah they recalled the exploding phone, then re-released it saying they fixed the issue when they didn't do shit and it started exploding again until finally scrapping it altogether.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #79
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Not really true. Been using my Samsung S8 for almost a year now. Now when I woke up the battery dips around 85%. I usually go to bed around 12am and gets up at 5:30am. Checks the battery usage is usually device idle, call standby and andorid system and Android OS that's draining the battery. The only fix I have is to reset the phone so I lose all the apps I downloaded and everything. After awhile the issue will come back again.

Also when playing music on spofity it will lag for 5 to 7 secs randomly. Sometimes it won't happen at all and others really often. Again the fix is to delete the apps and download it again.

I am also finding the S8 is having issue from time to time to open simple apps and like wechat and what's app where it would freeze for a few seconds and the only way to get around this is close the app and open it again. Again doesn't do it all the time.

Haven't had those issue at all on my iphone (no battery drain issue on my iphone 6s before I sold it last year) and no weird spofity issue on my ipad air.
Buy a smart plug and have it set to turn on 30 minutes before you wake so your phone will be 100% when you wake up.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #80
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
I find widgets pretty essential, but maybe if you're used to not having them they don't seem as useful. I can't imagine wanting to open a bunch of apps individually to check on them when I can glance at a main screen of widgets and see everything in one glance.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #81

One of the things I did like about Windows Phone was the live tiles. Would give me the info without needing to open the app. And my Lumia had a always on display to show me the info as well... back in 2013.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #82
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
This may be a surprise but I had an iPhone 7+ then went to iPhone X for a bit but due to my car accident and the fact I wasn't getting a pay out for a while I know I needed some cash, so I sold the x and went with a 6s plus that I still had from before.

I know the x with applecare+ will do me pretty well as I have used it in the past but its the form factor of the Xr that gets me. Just a bit bigger in my hand to me, is a bit better. When using the X I felt it was a bit small. Not the screen mind you just the overall shape was smaller than I liked.
the X/XS form factor works the best for me
the Plus-sized phablets were too cumbersome
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:59 AM   #83
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
U tried the xr already? Lol
just from the sizing chart I saw on reddit

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the X/XS form factor works the best for me
the Plus-sized phablets were too cumbersome
the Xr is just a bit bigger which makes it a bit better for me.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #84
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I feel the opposite on the Xr, I think promoting a phone as the “inexpensive” option when it’s starting over $1000 CAD is a marketing error.

As a share holder I’m hoping the opposite. But I’m not very happy with this move by Apple and the pricing. I’ve upgraded every “generational” phone since the 3 and I won’t be this time around. 2k is just too much for a facelifted X

Will save up for next year when it will hopefully be a new phone
This struck a chord with me too... I upgraded every single generation of iPhone since the original iPhone 1 4GB until the X came out last year... I didn't do it... I got a 7 from the USA on a deal... now the new line came out... and I think I'm going to skip again. I feel priced out of the market... the budget model XR is too expensive to be budget... and it feels so fail to buy an 8 that's like 1.5 years old at this point and still be spending huge $$$ relatively speaking.

I'm also a shareholder.. I can't complain on that front I've been holding since $90 a share... but this direction is so elitest.

Also, I know it's not the same field, but another "premium products" company for example --> I bought kind of expensive Bose Soundsport Wireless headphones... the rubber started stretching around my power button and I called Bose... they did not even ask me when I bought it or where I bought it from (I got it from Amazon USA last Black Friday so I was worried I was SOL) they just said pop it in a box, we'll email you a shipping label, soon as we get it we'll send you a new one no questions asked. Incredible! I go to Apple with 2 brand new charging cables that both shredded after like 3 months of use and the "genius" can't even be bothered to look up from their tablet and just tells me to stop pulling on the cord funny and fuck off basically. That's pretty shit, especially when it's a known issue with their cords, what's it cost for them to replace that? 10 cents? They're getting too arrogant for their own good.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #85

^wow that's piss poor on apples part....form my experience with their laptops, some iphones I have got from them I haven't had any issues going back to the stores for any problems. To me I guess paying the premium on their products to get good customer service at their stores if there was any issue was justifiable. But if they are acting so arrogant on a POS iphone cable then I wouldn't want to see how they are when theres something major wrong with a laptop ect....
Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #86
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
This struck a chord with me too... I upgraded every single generation of iPhone since the original iPhone 1 4GB until the X came out last year... I didn't do it... I got a 7 from the USA on a deal... now the new line came out... and I think I'm going to skip again. I feel priced out of the market... the budget model XR is too expensive to be budget... and it feels so fail to buy an 8 that's like 1.5 years old at this point and still be spending huge $$$ relatively speaking.

I'm also a shareholder.. I can't complain on that front I've been holding since $90 a share... but this direction is so elitest.

Also, I know it's not the same field, but another "premium products" company for example --> I bought kind of expensive Bose Soundsport Wireless headphones... the rubber started stretching around my power button and I called Bose... they did not even ask me when I bought it or where I bought it from (I got it from Amazon USA last Black Friday so I was worried I was SOL) they just said pop it in a box, we'll email you a shipping label, soon as we get it we'll send you a new one no questions asked. Incredible! I go to Apple with 2 brand new charging cables that both shredded after like 3 months of use and the "genius" can't even be bothered to look up from their tablet and just tells me to stop pulling on the cord funny and fuck off basically. That's pretty shit, especially when it's a known issue with their cords, what's it cost for them to replace that? 10 cents? They're getting too arrogant for their own good.
To be honest, as a previous employee from Apple we were under strict rules to follow our SOP.

Now I may get flack for this but here goes. The cable isn't the problem it's the way its been used.

The cable by my bed side is the same cable I used since my iPhone 6. Yes it has yellowed over time but it has not failed. The cable does not leave my end table and my phone is never used when plugged in. Essentially the cable goes thru very little stress.

Some users like my wife goes thru a lot of cables cause she charges the device + uses the device at the same time causing more strain on the cable itself. That's fine battery life is short etc. But there are 3rd party cables that's designed for this strain like the Anker Powerline cables that can take the abuse.

Should Apple have made the cable more durable? Probably.
Is Apple to blame for the cable? Probably

But for someone that used the same cable for the past 4 years. I don't think they're that bad.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #87

u are probably a hand full of people that can keep the cable from disintegrating. With a apple being a monster company they should really develop the cable from falling apart with normal wear and tear. Unless they purposely made it this way so people can buy more of them..
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #88

See what I mean about Apple blaming the user? You can probably bring a brand new defective cable and they'll say you broke it.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #89
Performance Moderator

Well, on top of it, a lot of aftermarket cables end up suffering rejection by the iPhone... I've seen way too many "This accessory is not supported" notifications in my time. Partly because something physically failed on the circuit board of my 6 in this manner where I'd have to try plugging it in 50+ times to get it to charge even with an Apple cable... but I digress...

Point is, they're a massive company charging a massive premium for a product and they wouldn't even keep a customer happy and build brand loyalty over a menial part? Whereas Bose, also a huge company but nowhere near the scale of Apple, doesn't even ask me if my warranty is still valid or what I did to the headphones (and I will admit I am HARD on those headphones to the point I wasn't even really upset as they begin to fall apart, figured I should consider them disposable... just called on a whim cuz I was bored at work hahaha). I used to trash talk Bose sometimes, but I never will again... but Apple? I'm glad I only use their phones and even there I'm now trying to force my mind to consider using Android (has not gone well in the past).
Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #90
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
thats why Apple is the first 1st trillion dollar company.. they know how to milk their customers... now with the dongle thing.. pretty soon the sim tool is gona be sold separately for $2 with a proprietary way to open the sim tray.. Why? because they can
Old 09-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #91

Quote:
Well, on top of it, a lot of aftermarket cables end up suffering rejection by the iPhone... I've seen way too many "This accessory is not supported" notifications in my time. Partly because something physically failed on the circuit board of my 6 in this manner where I'd have to try plugging it in 50+ times to get it to charge even with an Apple cable... but I digress...

Point is, they're a massive company charging a massive premium for a product and they wouldn't even keep a customer happy and build brand loyalty over a menial part? Whereas Bose, also a huge company but nowhere near the scale of Apple, doesn't even ask me if my warranty is still valid or what I did to the headphones (and I will admit I am HARD on those headphones to the point I wasn't even really upset as they begin to fall apart, figured I should consider them disposable... just called on a whim cuz I was bored at work hahaha). I used to trash talk Bose sometimes, but I never will again... but Apple? I'm glad I only use their phones and even there I'm now trying to force my mind to consider using Android (has not gone well in the past).
Apple is the best at keeping loyalty. Their customer service ranking is always at the top. They've replaced my 8 year old Macbook Pro's dead battery (obviously well out of warranty) for free, no questions asked. I've had a Macbook charger chewed up by my dog, brought it in and they just gave me a new one.

There are plenty of aftermarket cables that are certified by apple, if you're buying some cheap shit on Aliexpress without any certification to save 5 bucks well that's on you.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #92
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
ive always been impressed with the service work by apple, never had an issue.

Even yesterday when i decided to buy a $50 screen protector for my 7+ as opposed to $2400 X Max, i was in and out in 5 minutes and the screen protector (although $50) couldnt be better, or better installed.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #93
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
There are plenty of aftermarket cables that are certified by apple, if you're buying some cheap shit on Aliexpress without any certification to save 5 bucks well that's on you.

Clearly wasn't, glad to hear you had some good experiences though... wonder if they're still true today.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #94
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
thats why Apple is the first 1st trillion dollar company.. they know how to milk their customers... now with the dongle thing.. pretty soon the sim tool is gona be sold separately for $2 with a proprietary way to open the sim tray.. Why? because they can
well in the future I would think they would go with E-sim like in the watch/ipad so you wouldn't need a sim tray
Old 09-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #95
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Phone is weak, wait another year. The watch heart monitor stuffs is next level tho. Gonna get the watch.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #96
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:

Even yesterday when i decided to buy a $50 screen protector for my 7+ as opposed to $2400 X Max, i was in and out in 5 minutes and the screen protector (although $50) couldnt be better, or better installed.
50 Indian Rupees right? Please tell me you didn't spend $50 CAD on a screen "protector" !
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #97
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
$50 bucks on a screen protector?!

I could probably get two cases and two tempered glass protectors for that price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #98

Quote:
Clearly wasn't, glad to hear you had some good experiences though... wonder if they're still true today.
I've bought Anker branded and the amazon basic branded lightning cables years ago and I've had zero problems.

I've never had a bad experience at an Apple store, although whenever I need something repaired/replaced I book online for a Genius appointment.

Quote:

Just get a screen protector for 12 bucks on amazon...Glass is glass, they even come packaged in two just in case you somehow fuck up installing the first one lol.

Last edited by iwantaskyline; 09-14-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #99
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
$50 lifetime warrantee which I’ve already honored once before on a different phone.

For those that haven’t seen them put it on it sits in a machine specific to each phone model and puts the glass screen protector on perfectly. I’ve purchased the cheap ones on eBay before for my work galaxy, still has air bubbles etc in it.

Walk in, walk out, perfect screen protector with a lifetime warrantee, spotless underneath and feels much smoother than the one on my work phone.

$50 May be steap, but I’ll pay for the convenience.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #100
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Thats why Apple loves you guys... just saying...