REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #1801
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Should ask Cain what his DB (in this case DoucheBag) meter says when he holds it up to his own face every time he opens his mouth.
someone please try that during a VI stop

good things will happen to your car.
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #1802
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Someone should wipe poop under his door handle
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #1803
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Quick update on the police complaint situation. A sergeant from the VPD Professional Standards Section tried calling me today to arrange for a time to discuss my complaint. Unfortunately, I had missed his call. I will obviously get in touch with him and see where things go from there.

Will keep the thread posted if any new developments come.

Additionally, I have purchased a 1 year online subscription to the CVSE vehicle safety and inspection standards manual. If anyone on RS wants to have something checked out in the manual because you received a VI, or have concerns about whether something would pass a CVSE inspection or not, let me know and I will do my best to look up the relevant clauses for you.

And on that note, this is the preliminary impression that I got after quickly skimming through the manual regarding the camber and ride height issues that I have complained about:

Camber
It needs to be within manufacturer specs. If it is not within the manufacturer's tolerance, the inspection will fail. This one is extremely clear cut.

Ride Height
The springs cannot be missing, broken, welded, improperly seated in the spring saddle or sagged so as to lower vehicle more than 38 mm (1 1/2 in.) from manufacturer’s specified height. Does not operate as intended.

I personally see different interpretations can be argued here, and my own personal take is, I still don't see anything in the MVA or CVSE manual that disallows vehicle ride height changes as long as the change is within 10cm, and no other MVA / CVSE inspection requirements are violated.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #1804
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Quick update on the police complaint situation. A sergeant from the VPD Professional Standards Section tried calling me today to arrange for a time to discuss my complaint. Unfortunately, I had missed his call. I will obviously get in touch with him and see where things go from there.

Will keep the thread posted if any new developments come.

Additionally, I have purchased a 1 year online subscription to the CVSE vehicle safety and inspection standards manual. If anyone on RS wants to have something checked out in the manual because you received a VI, or have concerns about whether something would pass a CVSE inspection or not, let me know and I will do my best to look up the relevant clauses for you.

And on that note, this is the preliminary impression that I got after quickly skimming through the manual regarding the camber and ride height issues that I have complained about:

Camber
It needs to be within manufacturer specs. If it is not within the manufacturer's tolerance, the inspection will fail. This one is extremely clear cut.

Ride Height
The springs cannot be missing, broken, welded, improperly seated in the spring saddle or sagged so as to lower vehicle more than 38 mm (1 1/2 in.) from manufacturer’s specified height. Does not operate as intended.

I personally see different interpretations can be argued here, and my own personal take is, I still don't see anything in the MVA or CVSE manual that disallows vehicle ride height changes as long as the change is within 10cm, and no other MVA / CVSE inspection requirements are violated.
There are cars that stock, allow ride height adjustment (BMW M4 GTS comes to mind). If ride height adjustment was illegal, then those cars would have been illegal to begin with.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
There are cars that stock, allow ride height adjustment (BMW M4 GTS comes to mind). If ride height adjustment was illegal, then those cars would have been illegal to begin with.
I agree. All the more reason why this is so ridiculous if changing ride heights (within the MVA-implied amount of 10cm or less) is illegal.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #1806
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

yes. Or that!
Great movie.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #1807
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I wonder what Cain & Co think of this terrorizing their streets this summer?

inb4 "all cars louder than 83 dB are banned from entering BC."
joonzn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #1808
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzn6 View Post
I wonder what Cain & Co think of this terrorizing their streets this summer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wecVzPzf8R4

inb4 "all cars louder than 83 dB are banned from entering BC."
7 speed automatic is the only trans option. Friend is putting a deposit down on one as soon as they let him lol.

Berz out.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #1809
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
7 speed automatic is the only trans option. Friend is putting a deposit down on one as soon as they let him lol.

Berz out.
I'm okay with the auto, just wished it wasn't a rotary shifter.

Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #1810
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,777 Times in 3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
I'm okay with the auto, just wished it wasn't a rotary shifter.

They even put these in the new dodge rams. Kind of ridiculous to me. Still nether than the push button select gears
Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #1811
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I wonder what would happen if someone gets pulled over and they show Cain and other officers this thread ... lol
ricecookerboi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #1812
My homepage has been set to RS

can anyone find the mva clause where it says decibel testing is 3 feet away from the exhaust etc?
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #1813

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
I could only find the testing guideline for Burnaby but presumably it is fairly similar across the board.

Note the bolded part - so the guy with the decibel reader shoved up his tailpipe as the grounds for his box 1 VI, tough...

Quote:
City of Burnaby Noise or Sound Abatement Bylaw 1979

11. No person shall operate on a highway a motorcycle alone or with or near another motorcycle or motorcycles,

(a) which makes or causes noise or sound the noise or sound level of which exceeds 80 dBA's in a fifty (50) kilometres per hour zone and 85 dBA's in an over fifty (50) kilometres per hour zone;

(b) which after the 1st day of December, 1981 makes or causes noise or sound the noise or sound level of which exceeds 75 dBA's in fifty (50) kilometres per hour zone and 80 dBA's in an over fifty (50) kilometres per hour zone.

12. The noise or sound emanating from a motor vehicle or a motorcycle shall be measured at a distance of not less than six (6) metres from the motor vehicle exhaust pipe opening or from the motorcycle.

17. The Inspector and a Peace Officer are hereby authorized to measure noise or sound levels.

18. The Inspector or a Peace Office shall measure noise and sound levels with a Sound Level Meter. Noise and sound levels shall be measured on the A-weighting network and the slow meter response. The Sound Level Meter shall be complete with calibrator and wind screen and shall be operated in the manner as set out in Schedule “A”.

SCHEDULE A

(1) All sound levels shall be determined with a sound level meter on the “A” scale and “slow” meter reading.

(2) Sound level meters shall be used and operated in accordance with manufacturers' instructions. The sound level meter shall be calibrated before and after readings have been taken.

(3) When determining the sound level from a source the ambient or background noise or sound level shall be established at the appropriate position and during the relevant period of time wherever possible before taking sound measurements from the source. No measurement should be attempted if the difference is 3 db or less.

(4) Noise or sound measurement should, in general, be made at a height of approximately one (1) metre and a distance of three (3) metres from any wall, building, or other reflecting structure with the microphone appropriately oriented.

(5) Precautions shall be taken to ensure that the values recorded correspond to the noise or sound being investigated and are not due to wind, or extraneous sources.

(6) When the wind velocity is above eight (8) kilometres per hour, a wind screen must be used. No test should be attempted when the wind velocity is above forty (40) kilometres per hour.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalCloud View Post
can anyone find the mva clause where it says decibel testing is 3 feet away from the exhaust etc?
There is nothing in the MVA that I can find regarding the exhaust noise measuring procedures.

In the CVSE inspection manual, the only thing regarding exhaust noise that I can find so far is the following:

Quote:
noise emissions
- confirm noise level with decibel meter for anyvehicle with non-OEM, modified or alteredexhaust system

excessive
The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engineand exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether noise level is excessive. Must be comparable to OEM and confirmed with decibel meter. – is equipped with any noise enhancing device
I have not been able to find any measuring procedures (yet?). But if I come across it, I'll report back.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #1815
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,045 Posts
Thinking aloud here. Considering what has been transcribed as Cain saying he will be paying a visit to the shop that's "passing cars illegally"; the VPD isn't the one administering the licenses, the shop gets its license from the CVSE? The shop can theoretically just tell him to GTFO and stop harrassing/hindering his business.

If Cain is harrassing a shop and "trying to get their license revoked". The shop itself can file a complaint?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #1816
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,623 Times in 5,179 Posts
ICBC hands out the licenses to shops. Cain is just using intimidation tactics when he says he will go to shops and take their licenses, it's completely out of his jurisdiction to do so and the absolute most he could do is compel ICBC to send an inspector to the shop to see if they are complying with the guidelines to be a licensed inspection facility and that the people doing the inspections are licensed inspectors. He's basically full of shit.

Also, for the dB reading... it's pretty clear in the MVA that a reading is only binding if it's done in a designated testing facility and at that facility it reads over 83 dB (for light duty). It's not valid to test outside with so much ambient noise from traffic and other sources modifying the readings:

"A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with
section 7.03 of the regulations.
The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than
that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston
displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled
with excessive noise.
When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and
exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards."

Also it pops up here specifically from VPD's own Brian Montague in a 2015 article:

"Police can issue a ticket if, based on their experience, they believe the driver is making too much noise. If the officer has any doubt or the driver argues the noise level is acceptable, the officer can direct the driver to a vehicle-testing site, Montague said."

And, if you do get a ticket for too loud exhaust from Cain... this is for motorcycles and it's 91 dB... but the logic is identical for a car:

"Brown said a motorcyclist could challenge a ticket based on objective, decibel-meter evidence anyway, because of a clause in the Motor Vehicle Act that says the 91-decibel limit is applied to an engine or exhaust “when tested in an inspection station.”"

That all said, it appears that the City of Vancouver is the ONLY municipality locally that doesn't get specific on sound levels and how they are measured. Annoying.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #1817
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
Does the CVSE inspection manual apply to commercial vehicles only? Do those rules and procedures necessarily apply in this context?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #1818

from 1:25 of this video in Edmonton, it's 20 inches, 45 degree angle from the pipe? comes from sae standards, sae j1169

Last edited by FatalCloud; 01-16-2019 at 01:55 PM.
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #1819
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Does the CVSE inspection manual apply to commercial vehicles only? Do those rules and procedures necessarily apply in this context?
No it applies to private and commercial vehicles on truck route networks and highways.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #1820
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
He would be the type of cop without any logical discretion and would pull you over if you go 1kmph over the speed limit.
More like he pulls you over for doing 45 in a 50 zone and hands you a non-disputable speeding ticket because he heard your car speeding, because he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I agree. All the more reason why this is so ridiculous if changing ride heights (within the MVA-implied amount of 10cm or less) is illegal.
There are two problems here, the MVA being severely outdated being one of them. Please also keep in mind that the CVSE manual is what an inspector uses during an inspection, and in no way covers everything in the MVA. A vehicle inspection following the entire MVA can bankrupt an individual who may be innocent in the first place.

I have personally witnessed an officer training a junior officer in a traffic stop on how to quickly determine whether an aftermarket exhaust is illegal, much like in the video posted a few pages earlier, yet many cars have been equipped with straight through mufflers from the factory since the early 2000s...

Last edited by JL9000; 01-17-2019 at 06:36 AM.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #1821
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalCloud View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_p-Zuur2-Q

from 1:25 of this video in Edmonton, it's 20 inches, 45 degree angle from the pipe? comes from sae standards, sae j1169
20" at 45 degrees, at the same height as the pipe. Idle test and 2500rpm test is the standard.

Berz out.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #1822

Not sure if this is very relevant to us or not, but Perrin got back to me with their sound tests with their LOUDEST exhaust that they make for the 86 platform, and this is the data:

https://monosnap.com/file/17CbGSrD9n...5o5gQ9Tda7EO03

Here is the email itself:

https://imgur.com/a/IWIMOfJ

Something tells me Cain did not follow the proper procedure for conducting a sound test...
Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #1823
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,029 Times in 1,900 Posts
^don't forget weather affects the amount of noise coming out of the exhaust so assuming Perrin tested in a warmer setting, I can see how the road side test would read higher than what Perrin claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #1824

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
^don't forget weather affects the amount of noise coming out of the exhaust so assuming Perrin tested in a warmer setting, I can see how the road side test would read higher than what Perrin claims
At the same time, I wasn't able to verify the distance and angle at which the testing was done.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
20" at 45 degrees, at the same height as the pipe. Idle test and 2500rpm test is the standard.

Berz out.
Standard according to ? What can we quote this if we notice that he is shoving that thing in the exhaust tip?

Also, *DOES* the dB test need to be performed at a designated inspection facility to be valid, as previously suggested?