REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #51
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

In Calgary there are some of these requirements as well which result in higher costs with Uber but it's still cheaper and easier then a taxi. Example on Monday I took an Uber downtown for $39 and the return trip via taxi was $58.00.
Advertisement
roopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
5k is for the company if I read it correctly. They wipe their ass with 5k.
exactly, they could have made it $50K and Uber/Lyft would still jump at entering the market.

I do see the class 4 as being the real show stopper
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I'm pretty sure the 5K fee is for the company like Uber or Lyft and not each individual driver
Ah ok then it's no big deal.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #54
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Class 4 is super easy to get, just annoying
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
I don't see a problem with class 4, it's a commercial drivers license, why even have class 4 if you're not going to require it for uber drivers.

My bigger concern is how this will effect traffic, especially dt, uber and Lyft have contributed to 60% traffic increase in San Fran and they're being restricted in New York and London.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/8/18...increase-study
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #56
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
I don't see a problem with class 4, it's a commercial drivers license, why even have class 4 if you're not going to require it for uber drivers.

My bigger concern is how this will effect traffic, especially dt, uber and Lyft have contributed to 60% traffic increase in San Fran and they're being restricted in New York and London.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/8/18...increase-study
If DT Vancouver didn't change so many roads to bike lanes only it would be fine.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #57
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
5k is for the company if I read it correctly. They wipe their ass with 5k.
That's what I think but Uber drivers are independent contractors so that may make a difference.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #58
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Locally I've used the Chinese Uber a bunch of times, so easy! My one experience with Uber in Honolulu was fantastic as well. Thinking back to all my taxi experiences in this City it's been a mix bag of poor to ok, never amazing.
Can you explain how this works? I know it's off of wechat.
Can they do with non canto/mando speakers?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #59
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
u will see so many people driving around downtown (those granville, Howe, Hornby, Burrard) with LOTS more vehicle who are uber driving trying to wait for business. that's the only part i don't like.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #60
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
At least you’ll be able to get a ride.

I’d rather sit in traffic in a car than take a bus through skid row.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
how much will insurance jump up as a p/t driver?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #62
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Are they allowing ppl to bypass the license if they just do a few rides a week/month?

I was thinking the class 4 may hinder ppl looking to just save a bit of gas money from their daily grind from joining
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #63

ya just think how much better the commute into downtown could get if people started doing ride share there and back.

Reduce the hassle for parking downtown, jump in a car with someone else already heading down there for work

If done with some thought, and car share, it could save alot of traffic.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #64
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Can you explain how this works? I know it's off of wechat.
Can they do with non canto/mando speakers?
The one I use is called "Udi Kuaiche" and it's an actual app you can download from the app store. The app more or less is exactly like an Uber app, you open it, put in an address and book a ride. Then within minutes the driver will call you to confirm the ride/details but yes if you don't speak Mandarin or possibly Canto (most drivers are Mandarin only) then you're hooped at this point.

Price is already confirmed up front because you would have given a destination address. Driver shows up get in, pay cash at the end and see ya later.

I don't speak Mandarin so every time I've used it I had to have a friend book the ride for me but I am Chinese so no issues when the driver pulls up and see's that I'm at least Chinese. We have also booked the ride for a couple White friends before but we explained it up front to the driver on the phone and met the driver with our White friends when the driver arrived so they were cool with it. All in all I've used it about 5 times for myself and had no issues.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #65
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Uber and Lyft have been granted license's in metro Vancouver.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/01...tro-vancouver/
Old 01-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #66

Finally after goof Horgan let the cabs get their finally hurrah after the Xmas season.

We had a New Years party at our place and people started calling cabs at 130am, the hold times were so long you couldn’t even hold, it just said call back

People waited until 330/4 when they were sober and ducking drove home because you couldn’t even reach a fucking cab.. fuck em
Old 01-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #67
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Rekt; PTB has rejected taxi-industry backed company Kater's application to work anywhere in B.C
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Rekt; PTB has rejected taxi-industry backed company Kater's application to work anywhere in B.C
Old 01-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #69

finally, fuck the taxi companies and their shitty service, drivers and cars
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #70
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Finally after goof Horgan let the cabs get their finally hurrah after the Xmas season.

We had a New Years party at our place and people started calling cabs at 130am, the hold times were so long you couldn’t even hold, it just said call back

People waited until 330/4 when they were sober and ducking drove home because you couldn’t even reach a fucking cab.. fuck em
This exact thing happens every year at our work Xmas party.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #71
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

We can give Horgan and the NDP as much shit as possible for the long ass hold up, but the fact remains that the NDP government has done more to move this along than the Liberals ever did
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #72
I subscribe to Revscene

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/01...11-a-m-friday/

Whoa
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #73
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
The one I use is called "Udi Kuaiche" and it's an actual app you can download from the app store. The app more or less is exactly like an Uber app, you open it, put in an address and book a ride. Then within minutes the driver will call you to confirm the ride/details but yes if you don't speak Mandarin or possibly Canto (most drivers are Mandarin only) then you're hooped at this point.

Price is already confirmed up front because you would have given a destination address. Driver shows up get in, pay cash at the end and see ya later.

I don't speak Mandarin so every time I've used it I had to have a friend book the ride for me but I am Chinese so no issues when the driver pulls up and see's that I'm at least Chinese. We have also booked the ride for a couple White friends before but we explained it up front to the driver on the phone and met the driver with our White friends when the driver arrived so they were cool with it. All in all I've used it about 5 times for myself and had no issues.
You trust your ass with Asian drivers that only speak canto/mandarin ... are these ones genetically modified or something?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #74
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts

every cab driver will take you where you wanna go and be super nice now lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #75
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
You trust your ass with Asian drivers that only speak canto/mandarin ... are these ones genetically modified or something?
I'm not sure being able to speak English makes you a better driver. I can tell you my experiences riding Chinese uber has felt much safer than being in a taxi.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote