REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2024, 09:11 AM   #5826
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,202 Times in 7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Federal govt. going after restaurants with wood burning pizza ovens to see if they meet their emissions goals

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-e...ards-1.6732971
lol don't worry about the oil companies though.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 10:19 AM   #5827
RS controls my life!

Quote:
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...irports-surge/

100,000+ refugee asylum seekers filling Vancouver’s homeless shelters..

And this..

Quote:
Toronto is toying with a tax increase to fund more shelters for asylum seekers. The city estimates 5,800 refugee claimants are using up more than half of the city’s shelter capacity.
We live in a fucking clown world!!!!
Its even better. Toronto mayor Chow is warning that property taxes will be jacked up to 16.5% (from +10.5%) if the federal govt doesn't pitch in 250m to support the refugees that they have been accepting. Yea why don't we continue to decimate the middle class.. Those greedy homeowners should show some compassion hahaa. Toronto is a liberal stronghold so I guess you get what you vote for? Brilliant move on Chow's part squeezing funds out of the federal govt by pitching their own voters against them.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/toronto-...%20the%20city.
Mayor Olivia Chow has warned that the number could jump to 16.5 per cent if Ottawa does not provide more funding to support refugee claimants in the city.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 12:53 PM   #5828
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Fart monitors are next, pay by the fart, we all have to wear beeping wrist monitors that turn red and flash when a fart is detected and automatically debits $25 from your account
I'd be fucked.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:56 PM   #5829
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Grandma Chow is a smart woman, esp at this stage in her life. At the end of the day, refugees is a federal issue, but in the front lines, it ended up becoming a problem for the muni gov to handle.

Essentially, she has deftly lobbed a large chunk of the Toronto municipal deficit ball back into Turd's court while completely removing herself from any blames for the property tax hikes. Her recent negotiations to upload Gardiner Expressway and DVP back to the provincial gov (in exchange for giving up the fight on Ontario Place) also permanently reduced a massive recurring expense for the muni gov.

I wish Sim is 1/2 as good as Chow Por Por is.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 01:09 PM   #5830
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,413 Times in 5,678 Posts
Here’s a crazy thought… don’t accept their refugee claim.

Like, will the feds ever take into consideration Canadians over virtually anyone else? Lol ffs..
Old 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM   #5831
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,623 Times in 5,179 Posts
I mean, I don't mind helping other countries out when they're fucked... but we're kind fucking them over too... imagine getting off a plane from war country with all sorts of promises of a better life in your head and then finding out that anywhere nice you'd have to work until you're 250 years old at a service industry job to pay off a condo and you end up in a shelter?

I don't know why so many in the fed government still think Canada is in nineteen dickety two and that we need farmers and people to make homesteads out of plots of land hahaha those days are long long long gone. It's not the land of opportunity if you just work hard, it's land of familial wealth.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 02:27 PM   #5832

So take the Gaza refugees

Egypt doesn’t want them, Jordan doesn’t want them, Lebanon doesn’t want them

So Canada should? No.

If those stats regarding refugees taking up space in homeless shelters are even remotely true, no fucking wonder this problem has exploded and become as prolific as it currently is. It’s like the perfect storm
Old 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM   #5833
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,965 Times in 3,895 Posts
Quote:
Here’s a crazy thought… don’t accept their refugee claim.

Like, will the feds ever take into consideration Canadians over virtually anyone else? Lol ffs..
They should accept their claims, but they need to do both. The feds should be responsible for ensuring everyone in the country is properly housed. Leaving it to the individual municipalities makes zero sense.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 02:31 PM   #5834

Yea like that seems crazyyyyyy

You arrive at YVR, you have your federal refugeee claim processed, and you end up in a fucking homeless shelter on the downtown east side? That’s so fucked.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:15 PM   #5835

Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,478 Posts
Quote:
Yea like that seems crazyyyyyy

You arrive at YVR, you have your federal refugeee claim processed, and you end up in a fucking homeless shelter on the downtown east side? That’s so fucked.
Better than being dead by an Israeli bomb.

We still live in a country where hard work pays off.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:18 PM   #5836
Performance Moderator

Just cuz your 1 cousin or uncle or whatever it is came here and pulled a bunch of best timing in the world RE deals out of his ass doesn't mean hard work pays off man.

Also I dare you to walk over to the homeless shelter in Nanaimo and say "Hey why are you guys so sad at least you're not in Gaza or Ukraine" see what happens lol
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 11:36 PM   #5837
GS8

Thanked 7,305 Times in 1,981 Posts
Quote:
Just cuz your 1 cousin or uncle or whatever it is came here and pulled a bunch of best timing in the world RE deals out of his ass doesn't mean hard work pays off man.

Also I dare you to walk over to the homeless shelter in Nanaimo and say "Hey why are you guys so sad at least you're not in Gaza or Ukraine" see what happens lol

And to say it from the safety of your Audi. Yeah, that V10 one.
Added edit
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2024, 11:43 PM   #5838
GS8

Meanwhile, this trash keeps happening...

Some arrested in relation:

Quote:
Six young men have been arrested after shootings and arsons that police say have been connected to the extortion cases.
Parminder Singh, 20, was arrested on 12 firearms-related charges stemming from an incident on Oct. 19 where shots were fired at a home in the Laurel area.
Singh is currently in custody.
Hassan Dembil, 18, Manav Heer, 18, Ravinder Sandu, 19, and a youth were all charged with arson-related offences in relation to a house fire in the Cy Becker area on Dec. 19.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:45 PM   #5839
in the butt

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
When are we gonna ban summer BBQs?
The old old place i lived at, i started a petition to get ACs allowed in the strata lot, when i was going around getting votes from owners, one lost it on me for whatever reason. Then proceeded to lose it even more that BBQs are allowed on the patios
"I can smell the shit the person below me cooks several times a week! Unbelievable, disgusting bylaw that should be banned blah blah blah"
Im just standing there mind blown, then her husband shows up with a "oh no she opened the front door AND her mouth again" look on his face

Quote:
Fart monitors are next, pay by the fart, we all have to wear beeping wrist monitors that turn red and flash when a fart is detected and automatically debits $25 from your account
Demolition man

https://youtu.be/5rVQGT01Kzg?si=eAv9RIfR_cV99d6v

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 12:15 AM   #5840

Quote:

It's not just my cousin. South Asians are some of the top earners in Canada.
I know a number that are doing well. Go to any small town in Canada and you will see a lot of South Asians. Even Whitehorse has a Sikh temple.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...-and-education

There is low barrier housing near my house. They seem to be pretty happy they even had bonfires under the trees in front of the building. The fires stopped after the city removed all the lower branches.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:07 AM   #5841
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Where can you possibly have pulled data from to corroborate this? That study is fundamnetally flawed from the getgo by this fact alone:

"Sixty per cent of all people of colour in Canada live in just three cities — Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. That compares to only 27 per cent of white people"

Wow what a surprise, people made more on average when they lived in the biggest cities. Shocking.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:36 AM   #5842
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,837 Times in 3,186 Posts
According to that link he posted up

"Most Canadian visible-minority women earn more than white females, who averaged $1,120 a week.

Korean-Canadian women earned $1,450 a week on average; Chinese women $1,440; South Asian women $1,330; Japanese $1,320; Filipino $1,260; and Arab and Iranian $1,120. Meanwhile, Black women earned less, at $1,080, while Latin-American women made $1,000 a week."

poor white women!!!!...... now are these women making this on their backs or.....?!?!
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:49 AM   #5843
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,930 Posts
It seems like we have a convergence of factors and trends that are really affecting housing in major cities in Canada:
1. General homelessness and the unhoused.
2. International students (let too many in, profits for no name 'colleges' and 'Universities')
3. Refugees from Ukraine, now Gaza, and previously from Afghanistan and other areas through Cdn government process and sponsorship.
4. Refugee claimants, individuals who arrive and declare refugee ('jumping the queue' so to say).

all this undergirded with not enough rentals, resulting in rent going sky high, high interest rates, people foreclosing or forced to sell -> rental market.

Recipe for disaster really.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:09 AM   #5844

Thanked 8,965 Times in 3,895 Posts
Oh yeah I'm sure choosing to come here as an immigrant is totally the same as coming here as a refugee.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:18 AM   #5845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I know a number that are doing well. Go to any small town in Canada and you will see a lot of South Asians. Even Whitehorse has a Sikh temple.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...-and-education

There is low barrier housing near my house. They seem to be pretty happy they even had bonfires under the trees in front of the building. The fires stopped after the city removed all the lower branches.
Crazy what happens when you have 15 people sharing a home. That’s totally sustainable for the rest of society.

We’ve reached the point where there is no “Canadian/anerican dream” anymore, the dream is just to bring the values and lifestyle from wherever you came from and then abuse the system to its absolute max for personal gain.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:01 AM   #5846
GS8

Quote:
Crazy what happens when you have 15 people sharing a home. That’s totally sustainable for the rest of society.

We’ve reached the point where there is no “Canadian/anerican dream” anymore, the dream is just to bring the values and lifestyle from wherever you came from and then abuse the system to its absolute max for personal gain.
I've been going to Alberta quite a bit over this past year and speaking to newish immigrants, mostly Asian, they tell me that Canada mostly sucks and that the dream isn't what it is. Some were so late to receiving the memo that they had already sold everything in their homeland to get enough money to come here. I didn't even have to tell them that their method was outdated and relegated to history. They knew within a few weeks of landing that their dream turned into a fever dream.

The silver lining is most I spoke with will just work their hardest here, collect whatever they can and eventually return home to either start their own business, purchase land and / or retire early with family. I always remind them to take care of themselves here since, just because, we have national health care, it doesn't mean you'll get the best health care.

I should mention that none of them hate Canada, but rather they're not seeing or experiencing the happiness or growth that older generation immigrants felt. Many also feel stuck and growth does not seem possible due to varying factors. In fact, very few of them ever see themselves settling down here permanently, which kind of implies that Canada will forever be a revolving door of cheap temporary labour while rich offshore money launderers will jump the queue and push the other classes downward until someone earning $85k is now sharing a basement suite with 4 other people due to the affordability crunch. The politicians will look so good either way.

Last time I went to Crossiron, it felt more like Guildford

Like yooooo buddyyyyy, we gonna dip down to Dil's place and take his Daytonaaaa up to Hari's and get looooaded, gonna be hactic wut

Ohh and don't message Gur, dat fuckin jalebi brain. If he messages us, tell him ਦੂਰ ਫਿੱਟੇ ਮੂੰਹ
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2024, 11:10 AM   #5847

Quote:
That's nothing new. When my parents lived in England they had 10 in a 1 bedroom.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:13 AM   #5848

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
The silver lining is most I spoke with will just work their hardest here, collect whatever they can and eventually return home to either start their own business, purchase land and / or retire early with family
People have been saying that since the first pioneers from India came. After a few years their plans change.

Last edited by Manic!; 01-20-2024 at 11:19 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 01:09 PM   #5849

This whole mentality of Canada is a place to come work hard and you’ll succeed is a complete fallacy

People who are already well established here who have been here for a generation or two, have a great education, debt free, making 6 figures can’t survive. But yea just come here and work extra hard and live a totally skewed lifestyle which you accept as the norm and yea things are peachy if you can bear the stank of living in a basement suite for 10 years with 8 other TFW

Quality of life is garb compared to 20 years ago.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:18 PM   #5850
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,356 Times in 975 Posts
Different countries are going thru the same thing.

Germany "Towns and municipalities are "at the absolute limit of their capacity" to accommodate people "at least halfway humanely," reads a letter from the county council to the state and federal governments, which a large majority of local lawmakers endorsed in mid-July. "We need to limit the number of people arriving," said District Administrator Bernd Woide, a member of the center-right Christian Democratic Union (CDU). "It is not only that there is a lack of accommodation options — services are also stretched in childcare, in schools, medical treatment in many other areas."
so yes, this was back in July.

I can't find an article of the 40 yr old refugees dying in tents in Toronto... surely it happens in Germany and other parts of the world.

Does it suck, yes, will there be better homes yes... i think some Euro places have their own refugee camps... BTW, how does all the mexicans go when they land in US.. do they have refugee camps to stay....

Are we doing the best we can.. nope... can we do better.. yes....
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote