REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #101
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
So I guess you like to see 50% of your income goes towards tax then? Wait how about 90%?

Is not about how much tax revenue gov gets is how they chose to waste it on useless things/research and when the money runs out they just hike tax. Be a more effective gov and on spending and there is no need to increase tax.
Misguided and misinformed.

You should move to the USA. Despite your obvious beliefs, Canada has one of the most efficient governments in the world given the limited taxable population and amount of services provided. Check out the pie chart below, now remove things that don't, in any significant form, exist in a place like the USA such as elderly benefits, employment insurance, medical benefits and child benefits... that's nearly 50% of what's being allocated from each tax dollar you pay.

Don't care about those things? Move somewhere else that also doesn't care about them and pay less tax. It's asinine to move to a country for the aforementioned benefits/reasons which created a lifestyle you found beneficial to yourself and then complain about having to pay for those things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tax.jpg (92.3 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2019, 07:29 AM   #102
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Are you trying to imply that those tax increases upped your taxes substantially Mr.happysilp?
I don't really get negatively effected by a couple extra grand tax a year. I just by a couple less Americanos and make them at home.
I do however want some accountability for where my taxes go.
Healthcare, education, social programs are all important to me.
Keep in mind the giant foreign buyers tax NDP put in place is the only way you could afford your new condo.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #103
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Only one option for actual change
Spoiler!
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #104
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

You should move to the USA. Despite your obvious beliefs, Canada has one of the most efficient governments in the world given the limited taxable population and amount of services provided. Check out the pie chart below, now remove things that don't, in any significant form, exist in a place like the USA such as elderly benefits, employment insurance, medical benefits and child benefits... that's nearly 50% of what's being allocated from each tax dollar you pay.

Don't care about those things? Move somewhere else that also doesn't care about them and pay less tax. It's asinine to move to a country for the aforementioned benefits/reasons which created a lifestyle you found beneficial to yourself and then complain about having to pay for those things.
HMMM let's see spending millions on bikes lanes that no one wants and cause more grind lock, less parking is sure what everyone wants! Oh and let's keep dumping money into "Research project" such as if ride sharing is feasible only to come up with such a stupid conclusion that you need to have class 4 liscense and there is a limit on how many uber drivers there can be in a given time. Or how about stopping the Site C project only to see that is actually better just to go ahead and wasted millions of dollars on the so call "research" . And the list goes on where our gov waste our tax dollars.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #105
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Check out the pie chart below, now remove things that don't, in any significant form, exist in a place like the USA such as elderly benefits, employment insurance, medical benefits and child benefits... that's nearly 50% of what's being allocated from each dollar you pay.
All other department and agencies
Pretty vague description for the biggest slice of the pie.
Must be where the billions of dollars in corporate welfare, gender based analysis, and reconciliation derive.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #106
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Only one option for actual change
Spoiler!
For once I agree with you. I hope he gets at least 20 to 30% of the conservative vote.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #107

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Well said, and very true.

Quote:

mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #108

The US actually spends a higher percentage (19.3%) of its gdp on social welfare programs than Canada (17.2%) does.
According to the OECD.
https://data.oecd.org/socialexp/social-spending.htm
Common misconception amongst Canadians
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 01-01-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I'm not voting for the candidate i think will win. I'm voting for the candidate i think should win.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #110

Quote:
I'm not voting for the candidate i think will win. I'm voting for the candidate i think should win.
Out of curiosity, why is it that you think he should win?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #111
Performance Moderator

Quote:
All other department and agencies
Pretty vague description for the biggest slice of the pie.
Must be where the billions of dollars in corporate welfare, gender based analysis, and reconciliation derive.
Come on man you’re smarter than that nonsense assessment. That would be DFO, RCMP, Passport, PWGSC, Industry Canada, INAC and every other federal government office/service that employs across the entire country.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #112
Performance Moderator

Quote:
HMMM let's see spending millions on bikes lanes that no one wants and cause more grind lock, less parking is sure what everyone wants! Oh and let's keep dumping money into "Research project" such as if ride sharing is feasible only to come up with such a stupid conclusion that you need to have class 4 liscense and there is a limit on how many uber drivers there can be in a given time. Or how about stopping the Site C project only to see that is actually better just to go ahead and wasted millions of dollars on the so call "research" . And the list goes on where our gov waste our tax dollars.
I guess every project or business you start always goes for a profit? Just cuz you think something is a waste of money doesn’t mean it actually is a waste of money.

Are you an expert on all subjects and aware of all the nuances of every societal situation and the policies that govern them? Or are you just extremely arrogant? I’m guessing the latter.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #113

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Uh the conclusion of the Site C review was that we’re fucked with any of the 3 options (continue, delay, or halt), and continuing and halting the project were basically a wash in terms of loss (with delaying being by far the worst option).

How you interpreted that as we were better off to just go ahead and finish it is incredible (well, it would be if you actually read the review). The review basically said it shouldn’t have been done to begin with as it relied far too heavily on as yet to be built LNG plants (3 minimum required to justify the project).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #114
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,874 Posts
Quote:
And the list goes on where our gov waste our tax dollars.
There will always be mistakes made, and everyone will disagree with the funding of something or another. Obviously it's good to minimize waste but it's impossible to eliminate it completely.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #115

Quote:
Come on man you’re smarter than that nonsense assessment. That would be DFO, RCMP, Passport, PWGSC, Industry Canada, INAC and every other federal government office/service that employs across the entire country.
Sure, those are some of them. But it's a big umbrella.
This government spent nearly the same amount, annually, on reconciliation ($2.5b) as it did the rcmp ($3.5b).
What do you think the results from that vast amount of money have/will be? Think about that honestly for a second.
It's only one example.
You know, it boggles my mind that we live in this country of such mass, so sparsely populated, so rich with natural resources, and yet the average Canadian is stretched financially, overloaded with debt. Something doesn't add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Out of curiosity, why is it that you think he should win?
-end to corporate welfare
-revising the equalization payment formula
-scrapping the federal carbon tax and allowing individual provinces to dictate.
-end to provincial trade barriers
-SUSTAINABLE immigration
-revising foreign aid spending
Just to name a few.

Basically, he's the only candidate running on a free market platform. He's also the only candidate not looking to our number one trading partner with hostility.
Foreign investment has been plummeting in this country since Trudeau. That much we know. What's not documented is how many businesses and firms are heading south for a much more favorable climate. I'd imagine that number to be very high though.
It's pretty frustrating to see this happening while our current PM focuses on BS gender and racial disparities.

I'm not disillusioned though. I'm fairly certain we'll be stuck with another four years of Trudeau. As painful as that is to admit. But like i said, voting my conscience.
By 2023 we'll be so screwed that we'll be ready to vote for someone with some semblance to sanity. By then, Bernier will have gained enough popularity, IMO.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #116

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The review basically said it shouldn’t have been done to begin with as it relied far too heavily on as yet to be built LNG plants (3 minimum required to justify the project).
The review also preceded the government's new goal of 100% emissions free vehicle sales by 2040. The electrical capacity needed to attain this new goal is going to be far greater than those 3 LNG plants.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #117
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Sure, those are some of them. But it's a big umbrella.
This government spent nearly the same amount, annually, on reconciliation ($2.5b) as it did the rcmp ($3.5b).
What do you think the results from that vast amount of money have/will be? Think about that honestly for a second.
It's only one example.
You know, it boggles my mind that we live in this country of such mass, so sparsely populated, so rich with natural resources, and yet the average Canadian is stretched financially, overloaded with debt. Something doesn't add up.

-end to corporate welfare
-revising the equalization payment formula
-scrapping the federal carbon tax and allowing individual provinces to dictate.
-end to provincial trade barriers
-SUSTAINABLE immigration
-revising foreign aid spending
Just to name a few.

Basically, he's the only candidate running on a free market platform. He's also the only candidate not looking to our number one trading partner with hostility.
Foreign investment has been plummeting in this country since Trudeau. That much we know. What's not documented is how many businesses and firms are heading south for a much more favorable climate. I'd imagine that number to be very high though.
It's pretty frustrating to see this happening while our current PM focuses on BS gender and racial disparities.

I'm not disillusioned though. I'm fairly certain we'll be stuck with another four years of Trudeau. As painful as that is to admit. But like i said, voting my conscience.
By 2023 we'll be so screwed that we'll be ready to vote for someone with some semblance to sanity. By then, Bernier will have gained enough popularity, IMO.
You mean instead of saying mankind we should all say peoplekind!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #118

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The review also preceded the government's new goal of 100% emissions free vehicle sales by 2040. The electrical capacity needed to attain this new goal is going to be far greater than those 3 LNG plants.
Actually, the review did account for increased EV sales out to 2036, which match the numbers set out in the NDP's CleanBC legislation (10% by 2025, 30% by 2030). The review only projects to 2036, which was as far out as BC Hydro provided, but there's a non-linear uptick in EV sales accounted for.

Obviously, there's a lot of other stuff accounted for like DSM, microgeneration, etc.

From Site C review documentation:
Quote:
Some proponents of Site C claim it will be needed if we move to electric cars in the future. This is not justified.
If 2/3 of BC's existing fleet (approximately 1.9 million light duty vehicles), the ANNUAL projected consumption in the report is 5.6 GWh.

I think you're also underestimating how much electricity LNG plants use. The initial BC Hydro forecast under the Liberals was 2.85 Gigawatts (not GWh) for the new LNG plants they planned to have built. Site C is a 1.1 Gigawatt power plant.

Last edited by Jmac; 01-02-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #119
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
According to this article here:

https://www.fleetcarma.com/electric-...3-2018-canada/

new EV sales already account for over 15% of total new car sales in BC. Quite frankly, I'm surprised by the number because I certainly don't see that many EVs around town. But at parking spots that offer free EV charging, I rarely see an open and available spot. Unless there is some sort of major battery tech / charging breakthrough though, I am still rather skeptical about EV sales expanding beyond a certain percentage.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #120
HELP ME PLS!!!

I can see that sales figure increasing, as more automakers start to offer cheaper options. People with EVs might be charging at home overnight, so you might not see them at stations through out the day.

I can see a case for site C with EVs in mind, in terms of demand. In terms of ethics, that's another story.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #121
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Does the electricity production capacity in British Columbia today match th expected electricity requirement for bc in 2050? If no, where does that power come from?

Most infrastructure megaprojects like site c take in excess of 20 years from idea and studies to completion. If we realize in 20 years that we need more electricity, when do new generation projects come online? Secondly, what does a project like site c cost in 20-30 years? I bet it's a lot more than it does today, and I bet it doesn't even get off the ground, at the site c location, or anywhere else.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #122
HELP ME PLS!!!

Construction started with site preparation activities in summer 2015 and will be completed in 2024.

That's just construction, there was probably years of design and planning before that.

Project capital cost estimate of $7.9 billion is peer-reviewed
https://www.sitecproject.com/sites/d...-case-2014.pdf

Demand was calculated based on LNG plans, I don't know if that's changed, but here is the resource explaining it.

https://www.sitecproject.com/sites/d...feb-2018_0.pdf

I wonder if there are transmission lines that run down to Vancouver from site C. It will probably just service Northern BC, in reality.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post

I wonder if there are transmission lines that run down to Vancouver from site C. It will probably just service Northern BC, in reality.
I can't imagine that they wouldn't connect it into the 500kV lines that run down from Peace & Bennett Dams to feed the lower mainland and all the rest of the grid.

https://www.bchydro.com/content/dam/...s/transplt.pdf
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #124
HELP ME PLS!!!

Yeah, looks like you're right, they've got some lines close to site.

https://app.bchydro.com/content/dam/...ystems-map.pdf

It makes sense to put up another dam.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
bet it's a lot more than it does today, and I bet it doesn't even get off the ground, at the site c location, or anywhere else.
It's guaranteed any project like this in the future would cost orders of magnitude more. Higher labour & material costs, more red tape, more protesting, all guaranteed to be more than today.

We should be thanking our lucky stars that our leaders in the 60's had the fortitude to get this shit all built back then, or we'd never get it built today if we had to start from scratch.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4