REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #326
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
Your right to vote, by all means. But I cannot believe you would give a vote to this party based on a budget that sets the country back an additional $19+ billion. True ignorance must be bliss.

Let's list off some of our Prime Idiots achievements:
My reply to the post

- Inherited a nearly balanced budget and a country that had one of the strongest economies in the G8, has put it tens of billions in debt and ground that economy to a halt so we are now teetering on the edge of a recession.
Debt can be good or bad depending on what it's spent on. Looking at debt solely is not the whole picture. The real value is seeing the effects of the spending years down the line, then taken credit for in a new government.
- Peoplekind.
He's a fag, but has some good ideas. If there are results, I could give a fuck less.
- Veterans asking 'for more than he can give' (while holding back $372 million meant for Veterans).
I assume you are speaking about the townhall meeting when the vet asked for support.
1) He had a prosthesis already.
2) Soldiers know the risks they take when they sign up. The life insurance details what and how much is covered as well.
3) The military still has considerable benefits compared to any other industry

- Tweets a TV show host that he's donating $50 million to a charity on a whim. Wasn't in the budget and there are 40,000 veterans still waiting for their financial aid.
This was retarded
- The budget will balance itself.
With the right planing, it might.
- Ummm uhhhh ummmm ummm.
- Canada has no core identity. Elaborate.
- The only PM in history to be convicted of ethics violations. Hasn't even had a trial yet.
- Used $215,000 of taxpayer money to take his family on vacation to hang with Aga Khan.
- Embarrasses himself in India wearing Indian wedding clothes and Bollywood dancing.
- Takes an Indian chef on a government trip... to India.
- Gets India to invest $250 million in Canada but we have to invest $750 million in India first.
- Invites a man convicted of trying to murder an Indian government official to a Canadian state dinner... in India. Accuses the government of India of setting it up when they complain.
This was indeed a shit show. PM should have done better vetting.
- Can’t get a trade deal done with anyone. USMCA
- Can’t get a pipeline done in any direction. Not even Trump could get KXL going. This is the world we live in, NIMBY hippie land.
- More selfies than a class of teenage girls.
- Uhhhhhh
- Vows to have open and transparent competition to replace the CF-18, as long as it doesn't include the F35.
- Replaces Canada’s old F18's with Australia’s older F18's.

Unit cost
F-35A: $89.2M (low rate initial production lot 11 (LRIP 11) including F135 engine, cost in 2020 to be $80M)[8]
F-35B: US$115.5M (LRIP 11 including engine)[8]
F-35C: US$107.7M (LRIP 11 including engine)[8]
Right now Canada spends about $25 billion annually on national defence. How many planes, and their maintenance do you want to buy, sir?

- Waves to an empty tarmac when boarding the government plane.
- Says “referendums are a bad thing to happen because it gives people a chance to lash out at institutions”. Speaking to the Italian PM, maybe in their case, it could be, I'm not familiar with their government
- Thinks we should thank Muslim refugees for moving to Canada.
- Imposes tough regulations and taxes on oil from Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Newfoundland but not oil from Saudi Arabia. Saudi Oil applies to Quebec, the special province.
- Every new project has to undergo strict environmental assessments... except cement plants in Quebec.
- Says that a proposed pipeline must consider “the intersection of sex and gender with other identity factors” (what does that even mean?)
- Thinks old stock Canadians should be replaced. C3
- Chases foreign companies (and their investment capital) out of the country like they have the plague. Warren Buffett invested 300m into Suncor recently. Capital flight out of our country is not a concern.
- Chases our WW1 soldiers out of our national anthem... lest we forget. Yeah, a piece of me died inside as well.
- Has a “scheduling conflict” when Trump calls to talk about the new NAFTA trade deal.
- Illegal migrants are just “irregular border crossers”.
- Brings in tens of thousands of unemployable “refugees”. Tweets out a welcome to tens of thousands more fake refugees from the US (and even gets the RCMP to be their bellhops). The solution would have been to shoot them on sight?
- Gives $50k to each “refugee” family while our homeless sleep in the streets and our First Nations don’t have clean water. It's a loan to be repaid, as far as I know.
- Holds a meeting to talk with First Nation leaders... then complains they talk too much.
- All his fake refugees get better healthcare than Canadians do, while they put a strain on all our public services and contribute little to zero.Sauce?
- Continuously uses identity politics... then complains about identity politics.
- Pays $10.5 million CAD to a convicted terrorist who murdered an unarmed US Army medic. The dude was in a shitty spot while he was young due to his father. Sat in a prison for most of his life, what dollar amount would you put on your youth? Even the US soliders that testifed against him didn't think he did it.
https://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/episode...of-the-shadows

- Says nothing while Freeland makes anti-Trump speeches while negotiating a new NAFTA. It's a hornets nest with Trump.
- Forgot Alberta was a province.
- Called small business owners “tax cheats” while he sucks at the teat of a family trust fund. Source?
- Says “diversity is our greatest strength” but his divisiveness tear us apart.
- $8 million for a skating rink. Schools cost 50m these days. It's not out of the ordinary.
- $4.5 billion for a 65 year old pipeline (and KM uses that money to build a pipeline in Texas) It'll get build eventually, I have no doubt.
- Billions added to the national debt.
- Kokanee groper, simply said he 'disagrees' with the woman's version of events.
- Compared returning ISIS terrorists to Italian immigrants and says they will be an extraordinary powerful voice for Canada.
- Terrorists deserve to keep their Canadian citizenship. Already replied on the matter. However if they give Khdar permission to leave the country. I will have lost faith in the court system.
- Thinks businesses should hire immigrants over Canadians. Depends on the industry, Most immigrant workers outclass Canadians in terms of work ethic. Maybe it's because we're entitled as fuck.
- Gives Canada Summer Jobs funding to a Imam that calls for the destruction of Israel. This shit was going on even before Trudeau
- Thinks Canada is 100 years old instead of 150. Yes, I'm sure he still thinks that /sarcasm
- Calls the Official Opposition “disgusting” when they pose questions about ethical breaches of his Ministers. Which one?
- Generally making life less affordable for the average Canadian. Elaborate, clear examples?
- Gave Canadian taxpayer’s money to the Clinton Foundation.
- Gave Canadian taxpayer’s money to Hamas.
- Still gives foreign aid to China.
Foreign aid to charities is not out of the ordinary.
- Gives $1.37 Billion to BC who obstructs the TransMountain pipeline but cuts funds to Saskatchewan for not wanting to impose a carbon tax on their hard pressed citizens.Welp, we own a pipeline now, when it gets built, gas should be cheaper =)
- Responds to criminals in Toronto shooting spree using smuggled handguns by saying law abiding Canadians shouldn’t have handguns. What is the legitimate use that a civilian has for a hand gun?
- Increasing the number of personal pronouns to 50 and making it illegal not to use them. I don't get this statement
- Screws up our trade relations with our most important trade partners China and the United States, costing our economy billions to come.Elaborate.
- Calls construction workers a problem for communities because they're primarily male. WTF?
- Puts bumbling idiot as ambassador to China, a key trade partner, has to fire him when he bumbles like an idiot.LOL, noob ambassador gave in to China's demands.
- Pressured the Attorney General of Canada, and instructed other members of his staff in the Prime Ministers Office to pressure her to give SNC-Lavalin a deferred prosecution agreement because he's an MP in the Quebec riding where they're based. Multiple members of his staff and Cabinet resign.
- Silences the former AG by shutting down the inquiry early, and not giving her full permission to speak on the matter. Also refuses to testify himself.
The matter is still on going. I don't think it'll go away.
- Allows member of his Caucus to make racist remarks about former AG.bet you it won't be happening again with that minister.

Have I forgotten anything? It's been a LONG four years.

Justin Trudeau is a fucking moron, and the 2015-2019 Liberals are the worst and most incompetent leadership this country has ever had.

FYI I found the source of this post.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fthe ofleury14%2Fposts%2F10155778459271931&width=500" width="500" height="242" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

https://www.facebook.com/theofleury1...5778459271931/

FYI, those of you who complain about indigenous spending. The sooner we can get them off the government teats, the sooner they can fend for themselves. That's the way I see it. How many of you have spoken to First Nations? Know them? They're people just like anyone else, except in their culture it's about how the white man fucked them up and are taught to live with a grudge. How does that benefit anyone. In another 50 years, if they're as Canadian as everyone else I know, then it's money well spent.
Advertisement

Last edited by DragonChi; 03-20-2019 at 09:47 AM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #327
Banned By Establishment

I’m not going to quote the entire previous post but re: veterans - As someone who is currently serving I don’t agree with “they signed up for it”. The government sends troops into dangerous areas on their behalf and injured veterans need lifetime care for their injury related to service. With that said, there are too many people abusing this system which is causing a massive backlog preventing those who need actual care. I could care less which fighter jet we fly, just don’t touch my salary, my benefits and pension.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #328
HELP ME PLS!!!

I have admiration for anyone serving in the military, the discipline required to prepare for adversaries trying to win a battle in varies ways is astronomical. It is within the realm of possibilities when in the Canadian Armed Forces, to see combat. To join and hope to never see combat would be delusional. To receive care for service related injuries is very reasonable. The nuances on what reasonable care is, is hard to define. It is different from person to person.

Last edited by DragonChi; 03-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #329
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
How in the hell is this budget remotely acceptable?

In 2015, with the Canadian economy humming along nicely, Trudeau promised no more than 10 billion per year deficit, and no deficit by 2019. Now in 2019 hes promising a $20billion deficit, about the same as the last 3 years, and is expecting the deficit to still be in excess of $11billion in 5 years from now, and I guarantee that is based on 2018 economy, not the likely huge slowdown.

How can anyone be okay with promising 3 years of deficits and about 30 billion, and instead getting 10+ and probably close to 200 billion added to the public debt? holy shit. canadaians (that means YOU) are already paying almost $30 billion per year in debt servicing. How many social handouts could that pay for? Hell the difference between what that payment was in 2015, and what it could be in 2024 sure could help the 'middle class' taxpayers.
Don't worry the budget will balance itself in 2075.

The middle class never ever gets any aid from the gov. Coz there a lot more low income family then middle class and rich people. In order to buy votes the budget have to gear towards low income family otherwise he can't buy his way in as PM again. Beside is not like he will be PM forever most likely if people do vote for him he will just get another 4 years and resign, get his share of "corrupt" money and go work for a private company making millions every year coz he give them favors.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #330
HELP ME PLS!!!

Who is the creditor who receives the debt service payments?

It might be worth it to look at the debt to GDP, as a measure of our ability to pay back those debts.

Last edited by DragonChi; 03-20-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #331
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Lovely~ Another one jumps of the JT ship~

https://globalnews.ca/news/5077202/c...erals-trudeau/
Quote:
MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes leaves Liberal caucus following criticism of Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appears to have lost the confidence of another female member of his team, following two high-profile resignations from female cabinet ministers over the last month.

Trudeau told reporters on his way into question period on Wednesday that he learned from his office that Whitby, Ont., MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes has decided to sit as an Independent for the remainder of the parliamentary session.

But this bit is interesting though:

Quote:
Caesar-Chavannes is a first-term MP who announced earlier this year that she will not be running for re-election.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #332
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Not going to reply to every single point of JD's post, but I will say that several of them need to be corroborated by sources in order to check their validity. More importantly, some of them are just plain incorrect.

A lot of that content reminds me of whats going on in the UK over Brexit. Just a lot of political bluster/misinformation/outright lies being fed to the public, and unfortunately the general public buys into that garbage because it appeals to their emotions. When, in fact, if they took some time to do proper research and understand issues they'd realize how badly they are being misled.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #333
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Lovely~ Another one jumps of the JT ship~

https://globalnews.ca/news/5077202/c...erals-trudeau/

But this bit is interesting though:
Meh, just another backbencher.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #334
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Meh, just another backbencher.
worse. a crazy identity politics complete whack job. the country is better off without her.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #335
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Good read for anyone who's thinking the new budget is going to help you enter the housing market.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5076924/a...affordability/

The 2 big things, increasing the rrsp amount from 25 to 35k. How many of you have 35k on rrsps?

More importably the second part where they are helping with a small loan on the purchase. You only qualify with a household income less than 120,000, and the price of the home can't exceed 4 times your gross income. How many people with a household income under 120k are even close to being in the market, but secondly, how many homes in Vancouver selling for under $480k?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #336
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
There are about 33 million people in Canada that don't live in GVRD, so it might have a positive effect on them.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #337
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Good read for anyone who's thinking the new budget is going to help you enter the housing market.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5076924/a...affordability/

The 2 big things, increasing the rrsp amount from 25 to 35k. How many of you have 35k on rrsps?

More importably the second part where they are helping with a small loan on the purchase. You only qualify with a household income less than 120,000, and the price of the home can't exceed 4 times your gross income. How many people with a household income under 120k are even close to being in the market, but secondly, how many homes in Vancouver selling for under $480k?
You know what will help?

Rob Carricks Money Guide on Globe and Mail. Because I get a tax credit for the G&M subscription that I just signed up for.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #338
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I can't believe Trudeau can be so corrupt that he would rather buy votes to stay elected at the expense of Canadians.

How can he continue to spend money like he's doing. $9B for indigenous???

Whether you agree with it or not, governments in this country have no choice but to try to address the legacy of poor decisions, mismanagement, and discrimination relating to Indigenous people in this country. If not, there are many lawyers who are willing to take the taxpayers in this country to court on behalf of their Indigenous clients. Given the track record of the government in the courts over the years, the costs are likely to be far greater than $9 billion.

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-20-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #339
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts

Wilson-Raybould says she'll provide more evidence — including texts and emails — on SNC-Lavalin affair

Quote:
The former attorney general will provide a written statement to the committee, including further information to back up her testimony such as texts and emails
OTTAWA — Liberal MPs on the House of Commons justice committee may have shut down further hearings on the SNC-Lavalin affair, but Jody Wilson-Raybould has still found a way to provide more evidence.

In a letter to committee chair Anthony Housefather, Wilson-Raybould says she will provide a written statement to the committee that will include more information supporting her testimony, including texts and emails.

The letter, dated March 21, notes that because the committee has concluded its study, she understands she will “not be re-called as a witness to complete my testimony or to respond orally to statements that were made by witnesses after I testified.”

Wilson-Raybould testified at the committee on Feb. 27, after the Globe and Mail reported allegations that while attorney general she had been inappropriately pressured to intervene in the criminal prosecution of Montreal-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin. Other key witnesses testified after her, however, including Gerald Butts, who recently resigned as principal secretary to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and Michael Wernick, who recently announced his early retirement as Privy Council Clerk. Wernick had first testified before Wilson-Raybould’s appearance, but was asked to appear a second time.

“In the course of my testimony there was a request for me to provide further information,” says Wilson-Raybould’s letter. It specifically cites the request for “copies of text messages and emails” related to her testimony.

“Related to these requests, I also have relevant facts and evidence in my possession that further clarify statements I made and elucidate the accuracy and nature of statements by witnesses in testimony that came after my Committee appearance.”

View this document on Scribd
However, the letter also says her submission to the committee will stay “within the confines” of the waiver of privilege Trudeau provided in February. That means it will not address any events that happened after she was informed in January she was being removed as justice minister and attorney general as part of a cabinet shuffle. Wilson-Raybould has said she will not discuss those events unless she gets a further waiver of privilege from Trudeau.

On Thursday, Maclean’s published an interview with former Treasury Board President Jane Philpott, who resigned from cabinet over the government’s handling of the affair, in which she said there is still “much more to the story that should be told.”

“I believe the former attorney general has further points to make,” Philpott said in the interview. “I believe that I have further issues of concern that I’m not free to share … I believe we actually owe it to Canadians as politicians to ensure that they have the truth. They need to have confidence in the very basic constitutional principle of the independence of the justice system.”

Curious to see where this goes and how it unfolds.

So there's things she's not allowed to say without Trudeau's consent to a waiver of privilege but what if she says F it and says it all anyways? What's the worst that can happen to her?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #340
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Alberta NDP just released a short documentary on Jason Kenny. Makes him look pretty bad.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #341
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Gross... dude shouldn’t be a politician for any party in Canada
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #342
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Jason Kenney is an absolute piece of shit, I hope and pray that he somehow gets bounced as a result of his leadership race shenanigans.

IMO Notley has done well, I think she has earned the right to another 4 years in office. Having said that, it's a shame she's associated with the NDP, they can fuck right off with that goofy pseudo-utopian Leap Manifesto.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #343
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
My reply to the post
Unfortunately you make it pretty clear from your reply that you're not paying much attention to major issues. I suggest you start googling some key points.

I'll give you this one, Trudeau broke federal ethics laws. Here's the report:
http://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/Document...u%20Report.pdf
"Mr. Trudeau contravened sections 5, 11, 12, and 21 of the Conflict of Interest Act (Act)."

Get busy. You're voting in a few months.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #344
HELP ME PLS!!!

I agreed to that. In which ways is there a lack of attention?

It is more so that not only did you plagiarize your post, a few of the statements are lies.

Edit: FYI, having broke the law, been charged with something, and convicted are all different things.

Last edited by DragonChi; 03-23-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #345
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
The spin was that SNC Lavalin was all about saving jobs

Trudeau insists he was trying to protect SNC-Lavalin jobs — even as its CEO says he didn’t raise them
[
URL="https://globalnews.ca/news/5087912/trudeau-snc-lavalin-ceo-jobs/"]https://globalnews.ca/news/5087912/trudeau-snc-lavalin-ceo-jobs/[/URL]

Maybe this is the real reason
Former SNC-Lavalin exec charged with illegal federal political contributions
https://globalnews.ca/news/4215730/f...contributions/

Last edited by whitev70r; 03-23-2019 at 11:49 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #346
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
The spin was that SNC Lavalin was all about saving jobs

Trudeau insists he was trying to protect SNC-Lavalin jobs — even as its CEO says he didn’t raise them
[
URL="https://globalnews.ca/news/5087912/trudeau-snc-lavalin-ceo-jobs/"]https://globalnews.ca/news/5087912/trudeau-snc-lavalin-ceo-jobs/[/URL]

Maybe this is the real reason
Former SNC-Lavalin exec charged with illegal federal political contributions
https://globalnews.ca/news/4215730/f...contributions/
So you think Trudeau was protecting a company based on an exec, that is no longer affiliated with the company, contributing to Conservative, and liberal parties, 11-4 years before he was voted in?
Also, you think he was protecting the person that was appointed to a government position by Harper from 2006-2014?
Odd angle.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #347
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
NDP screwed up and are losing a lot of support from farmers and the South Asian community.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #348

Damn... another round of salvos just got released by the House of Commons against JT and his staff:

Justice Committee-released documents:
Brief and audio file submitted by: Hon. Jody Wilson-Raybould, P.C., M.P., from Vancouver Granville - JUST (42-1) - House of Commons of Canada

corresponding news article:
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/03...ice-committee/

Quote:
OTTAWA – Former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould secretly recorded a conversation with Michael Wernick in which she claims the country’s top public servant issued veiled threats that she’d lose her job as justice minister if she didn’t intervene to stop the criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin.
I had a quick skim through the transcription of the recorded telephone conversation, and holy shxt... I cannot imagine how JT or his staff can get out of the accusation for political interference (and on the justice department, no less!). The message from Wernick is loud and clear.

I kind of feel badly for the Wernick dude as well -- in a sense, he is just the messenger, and you are normally not supposed to shoot the messenger. He was certainly put into a tough spot by JT, but the right thing to do at the time would have been to quit and not oblige with JT's bidding, instead of passing the message (and threat) along. IMO, his subsequent resignation is all but meaningless now, and he need to be prosecuted as well, along with JT and the rest of his gang.

You go, JWR! Hunt all these corrupt bastards down! The Canada that I know is not supposed to operate this way.

Last edited by Traum; 03-29-2019 at 01:15 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #349
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Apparently SNC-Lavalin did threaten to move its operations out of Canada if things didn't go their way.
Quote:
SNC-Lavalin blasts leak of ‘Plan B’ that warned of U.S. move
SNC-Lavalin warned federal prosecutors last fall about a possible plan to split the company in two, move its offices to the United States and eliminate its Canadian workforce if it didn't get a deal to avoid criminal prosecution, newly obtained documents show.

The documents, part of a PowerPoint presentation obtained by The Canadian Press, describe something called "Plan B" -- what Montreal-based SNC might have to do if it can't convince the government to grant a remediation agreement to avoid criminal proceedings in a fraud and corruption case related to projects in Libya.

Under that plan, SNC would move its Montreal headquarters and corporate offices in Ontario and Quebec to the U.S. within a year, cutting its workforce to just 3,500 from 8,717, before eventually winding up its Canadian operations.

"The government of Canada needs to weigh the public interest impact of the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin," the presentation reads.
"We must humbly ask whether the public interest is served to prosecute SNC-Lavalin, and to try to achieve a guilty verdict. Such a decision would effectively lead to the end of SNC-Lavalin as we know it today and has been for more than 100 years."

Of all the options for the future of the company, the plan in the presentation was the "most obvious" to follow and "well advanced" in terms of planning, say the documents, which the Privy Council Office confirmed receiving in late September, at the same time as prosecutors.

RELATED
'We've never said that': SNC CEO denies head office, jobs threats
'I agree with Mr. Trudeau': Former top Caisse exec makes a case for government intervention on SNC
Quebec sets aside funds to protect head offices amid SNC scandal

The company's board and senior management were prepared to quickly bundle parts of the business that had no role in the Libya case into a new entity, putting the "trio of possibly convicted entities" into another organization that would operate "on a reduced business level in Canada or heading into eventual wind-up," they read.

The details appear to contradict public statements by chief executive officer Neil Bruce, who has denied both that the company threatened to move its headquarters, and that the company cited its some 9,000 Canadian jobs as a reason the construction giant should be granted a remediation agreement.

The company walked back the comments days later in a statement, saying a remediation deal was the best path to protect its Canadian workforce.

In a March 20 interview with BNN Bloomberg, Bruce adamantly denied that he threatened to move the company’s headquarters from Montreal.

“I don’t know what people make up, or what they have in their minds,” Bruce said, when asked about media reports alleging SNC threatened to relocate.

“We’re proud of being a Canadian company. We have 130 offices across Canada,” he said. “This is where we want to be in terms of our base.”

Late Thursday, SNC-Lavalin spokesman Nicolas Ryan confirmed the authenticity of what he called a "confidential document" that was submitted to the Public Prosecution Service of Canada to allow the director of public prosecutions to consider the company's request for an agreement.

“It is unfortunate and deeply concerning that a confidential and commercially sensitive document submitted to the Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has been leaked to the media, for reasons that remain unclear and are frankly baffling to us,” Ryan said in a statement.

“As part of the considerations evoked, and as SNC-Lavalin’s CEO Neil Bruce has articulated in media interviews, the company provided information on potential outcomes should it not have the opportunity to negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA),” the statement continued. “We have been clear and transparent for several months that the company has a fiduciary duty to shareholders and employees, to have a Plan B in place should a DPA not be available.”

The presentation, which was delivered by mail to The Canadian Press anonymously and without a return address, also suggests the end of seven-figure donations and sponsorships for various community causes, hundreds of millions more in lost tax revenues, and the loss of spending on research positions at universities.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has held up the threat of job losses as the main reason he and others pressed former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to look into the prosecutor's decision.

Wilson-Raybould told the Commons justice committee last month she came under "consistent and sustained" pressure -- including veiled threats -- from Trudeau, his office, the Privy Council Office and Finance Minister Bill Morneau's office to halt the criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin.

The ensuing political fallout has cost Trudeau two cabinet ministers -- Wilson-Raybould and former Treasury Board president Jane Philpott, who said she had lost confidence in the government's handling of the affair -- as well as one of his top aides, Gerald Butts, and Michael Wernick, clerk of the Privy Council, who will leave his post as the top federal civil servant before the fall election.

Bruce and Wernick met on Sept. 18 about the company's legal troubles.

Notes taken at the meeting, tabled as evidence with the House of Commons justice committee, show that Wernick told Bruce to take the public interest argument to the director of public prosecutions, adding the company "will want to get it right."

Wernick testified earlier this month that he spoke with Wilson-Raybould the next day where the former attorney general appeared "very firm in her mind" that the prosecutor's decision to not negotiate a deal with SNC-Lavalin was final. Wernick said Wilson-Raybould told him the only option for the company was to make public interest arguments through its lawyers.

A spokeswoman for the prosecution service said any discussions or documents in the case are confidential.
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/snc-lava...move-1.1236436
Old 04-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #350

Literally JT / Liberals WTF??? Are you guys and your PR team all stupid and brain-dead? Have you forgotten that you have an election coming in just a tad over 6 months? I am basically in disbelief mode that these guys can be so stupid to do dumb shxt as stupid as this...

Jody Wilson-Raybould removed from Liberal caucus
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04...iberal-caucus/

JT / Liberals, you have just handed over your October election victory to Scheer and the Conservatives with your hand hands.
This post thanked by: