REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #76
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
It's not a big deal for governments to be in deficit. Governments takes on debts all the time to finance projects. Countries like US or Canada don't have to pay it all back before taking on more debts. Perks of having healthy economies and a wealthy population.

"Balancing the budget" or "hey, we're fucked we're in deficits" are soundbites to trick the people who don't know any better.
I rather Canada be the nation to lend other nations money rather than the ones to be borrowing. When you have money to lend to other nations you have power over them and more leverage over them.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #77
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
It's not a big deal for governments to be in deficit. Governments takes on debts all the time to finance projects. Countries like US or Canada don't have to pay it all back before taking on more debts. Perks of having healthy economies and a wealthy population.
You're under the assumption that the text in bold will somehow remain the standard.
What happens when a recession hits and employment insurance needs to be paid out, among other costs? Just doesn't matter?
The average Canadian pays 42% of their income in taxes. New carbon tax is going to increase the cost of living here even higher. Yet he's still projected to spend more of our money.
Maybe you don't think it's a big deal that we're overtaxed AND in debt. Others may beg to differ.

Quote:
"Balancing the budget" or "hey, we're fucked we're in deficits" are soundbites to trick the people who don't know any better.
So when Trudeau ran on "balancing the budget" he was tricking those who didn't know any better.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #78

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Compared to similarily populated/wealthy nations and compared to similarly sized areas, Canada is at a bit of a disadvantage. We have such a large country to maintain yet such a relatively small tax base to maintain it and keep it connected from sea to sea to sea. We have all these natural resources, but none of the infrastructure to process any of it. What little we had, ie Petro Canada, was quickly outpowered and dismantled by cheaper competition from the US. We allow foreign operations access to our resources, they get to sell them back to us at a premium. They provide us short term profits in order to prevent us from building up our own industries because governments are addicted to short term profit/success and letting the next government, and Canadians, suffer the long term consequences.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #79
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Legalizing it just tricked the dummies to get out and vote, if anything the legal system is worse than what we had in place before

How much tax revenue do you generate from ONE dispencery ffs..
There will be an excise tax of $1 per gram or 10 per cent of the retail price, whichever is greater. Provinces will take 75 per cent of the revenue, and the federal government will reap 25 per cent of the profit from this tax. Ottawa’s piece of the pie will not exceed $100 million for the first two years of legalization.

-About 4.9 million Canadians used cannabis and consumed more than 20 grams of marijuana per person in 2017, spending a total $5.6 billion on the product, according to estimates from Statistics Canada.

10% x 5.6 billion = 560 million in taxes.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-s...bers-1.1096027

It's hard to determine the total at a dispensary level since I don't think the numbers published.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #80
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I rather Canada be the nation to lend other nations money rather than the ones to be borrowing. When you have money to lend to other nations you have power over them and more leverage over them.
Lol this is not how it works. China and Japan owns trillions of US debt. Does that means they have leverage over US? Not really. It is a double-edge sword for them. If they dump US T-bills, they are fucked too. It's a lose-lose scenario. They have incentives to hold on to them and receive payments.

US spent most of its years in deficit, saved for a brief period under the Clinton administration. Being in deficit alone isn't a bad or good thing. The US debt clock? Nobody worths any salt would give a shit. But politicians like to parade that to the unwashed because to them, debt = bad.

Trudeau used the same tactics to get votes, now the opposite use the same tactics. If you buy into that shit, the jokes are really on you.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #81
I am Hook'd on RS

DEBT = BAD.

When you have debt, you have to pay the interest.

When the interest is billions on a 20+ trillion dollar debt, you have to print money to pay that interest.

When you print money to pay that interest, you increase the supply of money in the market and create inflation.

When you increase the money supply and inflation increases, the purchasing power of the dollar falls.

When the purchasing power of the dollar falls, you end up paying more for the same goods.

Who suffers? Everyone living in the country.

I remember an article about a month back that said that the average annual grocery bill should increase by about $500 per household next year. This is directly due to policies like taking on debt and printing money to pay for it.

The purchasing power of the US dollar has fallen something like 98% in the past 100 years, mainly due to the creation of the Feds and going away from a gold standard.
birddog3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #82
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

USD currently at 1.37CAD, our money is toilet paper.

Most of our healthcare/government supplies are bought with USD too. That's going to do wonders to the budget.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #83
I STILL don't get it

If the average joe educated themselves enough on politics and general macro/micro economics they’d probably come to the conclusion they are fiscally conservative and socially liberal. From there they could start understanding there is an order to things, especially when running a county. Like your household, your debt needs to be under control in order to properly help.

Are there exceptions to this like the environment where regardless of fiscal conditions something needs to be done right away, sure. But most other issues need to follow a strategical order.

Last edited by wreck; 12-25-2018 at 12:48 PM.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #84
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
I think someone has said it somewhere else in RS before:

Our Canadian economy is relatively strong now, but this useless pretty face PM is still racking up debt like money is free. So what happens when we hit a downturn and our national as well as global economy hit the rocks?

As bad as Scheer might be, I really have to sit down and think whether his flavour of shxt is more tolerable than JT's.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #85
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
I'm confused why people always seem to think that a conservative government will balance the budget.
The history of deficits run deep in both parties.

1984-1993 was a conservative government and ran the most consistently large deficit that Canada has run in most of our lifetimes. Liberals ran 1993-2006. Cons were back in 2006-2015.
This isn't indicative of peoples personal finances at the time, but my question remains.

The biggest effect on our personal finances is going to be the valuation of the Canadian dollar since we so heavily rely on imported products to dictate price of goods.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #86
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm confused why people always seem to think that a conservative government will balance the budget.

The history of deficits run deep in both parties.
In my case above, I wasn't necessarily suggesting a Conservative government would be a better manager of our federal finances. Rather, it is more of a reflection of what I have seen with JT and Morneau, and how their spendy ways (and often idiotic policies) in the past 2 - 3 years weren't exactly the most convincing in terms of fiscal responsibility and capability. Throughout the Harper years, I thought the Conservatives had been very responsible managers of our national finances, although I would also attribute that mostly to Jim Flaherty. In particular, I thought Flaherty was exemplary in steering the Canadian economy out of the global finance crisis.

Can Scheer and his party repeat what Harper / Flaherty can achieve? I can't answer that because I don't know. It is really more of a question of how much (or how little) faith I have left in the JT/Morneau combo, and I can tell you right now that my faith in them is fairly abysmal.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #87

Morneau is definitely among the worst of politicians around, and the fact JT has kept him around speaks volumes about his inability to control his government.
Scheer's history on social issues is appalling though however, and can not be ignored.
The politics of division as of late makes it impossible as its all left vs. right, black and white ideologies, and as usual, elements of both, are best for everyone, as well as horrifically wrong.
Its a shame Trudeau just keeps making poor decision after poor decision, as I thought there was a chance for balance, early in his term.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #88

Looks like those who voted ndp will be having their wishes fulfilled; more business killing policy and cost increases across the board.
https://www.terracestandard.com/news...-set-for-2019/
-Norm Franz
Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #89
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
This thread reminded me of Kristie Kreme. I had all but forgotten about the, "Hey I guess I am a MILF," former leader of this not so proud, land of dogwood.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #90

To be honest welfare all those tax hikes I’m in favour of except and STRONGLY except the MSP payroll tax. It’s absolutely appalling how it will affect small businesses that are huge contributors to the middle class in employers and employees alike.
Huge fuckup on that one.
The 3 million dollar plus home, school tax should be multiplied by 10 after seeing these people in point grey crying about how hard life is owning a home on Canada’s most desirable street is.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #91

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I can't stand any sources that reference/interview the Canada Taxpayers Federation, as if they actually represent the average Canadian taxpayer. They're a special interests group.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...mont-1.3802441
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #92

Quote:
To be honest welfare all those tax hikes I’m in favour of except and STRONGLY except the MSP payroll tax. It’s absolutely appalling how it will affect small businesses that are huge contributors to the middle class in employers and employees alike.
Huge fuckup on that one.
The 3 million dollar plus home, school tax should be multiplied by 10 after seeing these people in point grey crying about how hard life is owning a home on Canada’s most desirable street is.
If you thought the cost of living in this province was already strained, give these non revenue neutral carbon taxes a few years, while they continue to increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I can't stand any sources that reference/interview the Canada Taxpayers Federation, as if they actually represent the average Canadian taxpayer. They're a special interests group.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...mont-1.3802441
What in the article do you disagree with?
There isn't much opinion that i can see of it.
-Norm Franz
Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 AM   #93

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
If you thought the cost of living in this province was already strained, give these non revenue neutral carbon taxes a few years, while they continue to increase.

What in the article do you disagree with?
There isn't much opinion that i can see of it.
I'm not saying I agree with or disagree with any of it.

What I'm saying is:
1) I'm skeptical of sources that use CTF as a reference, especially those that use them as their only reference
2) Media often misrepresents CTF as a public watchdog when they're an anonymously-funded special interest group
3) Media often just quotes CTF instead of citing the publicly-available information themselves, which is lazy journalism.

As for the carbon tax, it was revenue neutral under Gordon Campbell's government, but that changed under Christie Clark and, unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll change back with the NDP.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #94

Quote:
I'm not saying I agree with or disagree with any of it.

What I'm saying is:
1) I'm skeptical of sources that use CTF as a reference, especially those that use them as their only reference
2) Media often misrepresents CTF as a public watchdog when they're an anonymously-funded special interest group
3) Media often just quotes CTF instead of citing the publicly-available information themselves, which is lazy journalism.
So your opinion of the CTF aside, there's nothing in the article that you dispute then.

Quote:

As for the carbon tax, it was revenue neutral under Gordon Campbell's government, but that changed under Christie Clark and, unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll change back with the NDP.
It may not have been neutral the past few years, but it was frozen.
Now it'll be increasing every year and won't be offset.
So we'll be paying more for everything without any easing.
It's a relatively universal sentiment that British Columbians pay too much for everything. Now it's only going to get worse. "The new normal".
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 12-30-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #95

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
...here's the 'conservative' party for 2019.. lol... this guy is another moronic Leitch.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #96

We literally have no options.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #97
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Only 14,305 views since the 23rd and no comments. LOL.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #98

Quote:
We literally have no options.
Only one option for actual change
Spoiler!
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2019, 12:51 AM   #99
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,452 Times in 5,114 Posts
Holy shit that Andrew Scheer video was even more terrible than I could have ever imagined...

Was anyone else waiting for him to toss the book into the fire and laugh like an evil maniac?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #100
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Huge fuckup on that one.
So I guess you like to see 50% of your income goes towards tax then? Wait how about 90%?

Is not about how much tax revenue gov gets is how they chose to waste it on useless things/research and when the money runs out they just hike tax. Be a more effective gov and on spending and there is no need to increase tax.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote