REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #251
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
But I mean, I just don't care whatever the fuck they were doing halfway across the world. .
Except it isnt just the Libya thing. They bribed the Canadian government for the contract on Montreal’s Jacques Cartier Bridge and the recipient of the bribe is already in jail for it, and the former CEO of SNC has been convicted of bribes and fraud for a $1.3billion montreal hospital.

It's one thing for it to happen 'over there' but it is happening over here too.

The total amount SNC is currently being charged with bribes and fraud for are in the neighbourhood of $200,000,000, and that is just what the RCMP have discovered so far. $130million on Libia, $2.5million on the montreal bridge, and $60million on the hospital

when is enough enough? Apparently Canada's Attorney General thinks its been enough. And apparently the bribes run so deep that our Prime Minister has tried so hard to prevent any justice from happening in such a panic that he blundered the whole thing
Advertisement

Last edited by RRxtar; 02-28-2019 at 01:11 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #252
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
The Canadian Government has ALWAYS been in bed with major Canadian firms.

As much as I am not a fan of JT, I really don't put any of this on him. If you think the Conservatives did not cover up corruption for Canadian corporations, or would do the same as JT, you have another thing coming. He just happens to be the guy in power carrying the hot potato that every previous Canadian government would have carried.

Boring story, I don't need to hear Andrew Scheer complain about the actions in which his party would do under the same circumstances. Boring.

It does suck how trash these candidates are for all three major parties, though.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #253
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Whether the cons were in bed with them or not, it really comes down to getting caught and put out in public.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #254
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
The irony here is the liberal party looks the worst here when they are the only party in recent history that had a member of parliament that was willing to stand up to government wrongdoing.
If they were really wanting to play the game, as a party, they’d send Trudeau up the river without a paddle and nominate JWR to be the new party leader.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #255
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
^
B.C. Chief Bill Wilson tells then-prime minister Pierre Trudeau his daughter wants the PM's job.

https://www.facebook.com/CBCPolitics...9333251762175/
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #256
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
I kinda laugh at the mess the libs are in now.. they are gonna fuck so many groups HARD if they lose the election next time..

your SJW, LGBTQ, and ESPECIALLY the native population had the biggest opportunity they may -EVER- have had to deal with all their reconciliation shit etc. and now with all their internal feuding and bitching about this and that if a new govt. comes into power, esepcially if its a conservative govt again. They are going to lose all the ground they made up plus more, and will likely never have the same opportunity they did under JT
Old 02-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #257

I knew someone immediately was going to say the Conservatives probably did it too. Except the difference is the Conservatives haven't been caught in a scandal about it, regardless of how much harper haters hope. The reality is the current liberal government has now been caught in a scandal meddling with the judicial system, likely due to crony corruption, and the previous liberal government under Paul Martin was also caught in a scandal.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #258

As a follow up, and take this for what its worth, but apparently the current situation is happening BECAUSE the Conservatives, in 2006, created a law to catch scanadals and prevent the attorney general from interfering, because of the (Also Liberal government's) sponsorship scandal. So not only have the Conservatives not been caught in a scandal like this, but they've actually created laws to help prevent cover ups. And Justin Trudeau's office is vocally upset about it.

In 2006, one of the first actions of the new government of Stephen Harper was the Director of Public Prosecutions Act, a measure designed to prevent future occurrences of the Sponsorship Scandal. Now, that act is at the centre of events apparently showing an attempt by the government of Justin Trudeau to halt a criminal prosecution for political reasons.

“Gerry (Gerald Butts, former principal secretary to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau) talked to me about how the statute was set up by Harper (and) that he does not like the law,” former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould said in Wednesday testimony before the House of Commons justice committee.

Previously, Canadian attorneys general had full discretion over which criminal cases were pursued and which were abandoned. Since the Attorney General is also a sitting cabinet member, the door was left open for easy – and quiet – political meddling in the judicial process.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...box=1551449592
Old 03-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #259
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
JT had his shot of ruining the country
let someone else have a chance to screw us over

any prediction on voter turnout in oct? is it gonna be well under 50% like most elections?
what drastically different problems we're facing in mere short 4 years...trump, pipeline, security and china

time and again we see JT's inexperience showing, but all things considered, couldve gone even worse

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-02-2019 at 12:21 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #260
HELP ME PLS!!!

I don't know what the platforms the parties are going for, but here is what I want.

Twinning of TMX
Universal pharmacare
Maybe a Green New Deal type of plan (tax breaks for small-medium renewable energy companies maybe, incentivize EV makers into Oshawa )
New born tax break

Liberals have sure painted themselves into a corner with the SNC, and Huawei issue. In terms of how the justice system was not supposed to be influence by politics. But hey, it's not like politicians make laws or anything. lol... I think this is how Huawei is going to get off the hook. SNC will be given a free pass, well they did restructure their company and put out a ethics handbook, so they have made changes since the bribes took place.

Last edited by DragonChi; 03-02-2019 at 09:38 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #261
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
So the newly appointed Treasury Board President Jane Philpott resigns over the JWR scandal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5020112/j...lson-raybould/

Perhaps I am oversensitive, but the first thought that came up in my mind is, the Liberals brass is starting to abandon the JT ship. With an election coming up in Oct, this does not surprise me at all.

If we get a couple more Liberals ministers or even back benchers coming out to severe ties with JT, he is finished. Can't say I'd be disappointed about that.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #262
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
So the newly appointed Treasury Board President Jane Philpott resigns over the JWR scandal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5020112/j...lson-raybould/

Perhaps I am oversensitive, but the first thought that came up in my mind is, the Liberals brass is starting to abandon the JT ship. With an election coming up in Oct, this does not surprise me at all.

If we get a couple more Liberals ministers or even back benchers coming out to severe ties with JT, he is finished. Can't say I'd be disappointed about that.
After seeing all the dumb sh/t posted by the extreme right on facebook I don't see the cons winning.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #263
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
What did I MISS? I was away on a trip for last couple of weeks. Seems things have change a lot... Seems a lot of people are not happy with JT right now......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What did I MISS? I was away on a trip for last couple of weeks. Seems things have change a lot... Seems a lot of people are not happy with JT right now......
Says who..? The Libs' ratings are up in Quebec since the SNC-Lavalin situation became public.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #265
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
2 star power female cabinet minister resign for the feminist PM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #266
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I kinda laugh at the mess the libs are in now.. they are gonna fuck so many groups HARD if they lose the election next time..

your SJW, LGBTQ, and ESPECIALLY the native population had the biggest opportunity they may -EVER- have had to deal with all their reconciliation shit etc. and now with all their internal feuding and bitching about this and that if a new govt. comes into power, esepcially if its a conservative govt again. They are going to lose all the ground they made up plus more, and will likely never have the same opportunity they did under JT
The only way to fix that situation is to stop throwing money at it needlessly, which is what every political party does because it looks good and gets votes.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #267
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Cons and Libs are both crooked as shit, where the Libs/JT went wrong was appointing someone to a critical position that had not yet been indoctrinated to the typical political corruption that most politicians assimilate to while coming up through the party ranks.

The only reason this didn't happen to the Cons is because they would NEVER take a chance like that, normally the Libs wouldn't have either, but JT was all hot and bothered with the idea of being recognized for appointing a female first nations individual as AG.

What do I want out of the next election? I want less...

- Less debt
- Less taxes
- Less red tape for energy projects and resource development
- Less hand outs
- Less visible corruption
- Less pandering to snowflakes

Having said that, I dislike all the party leaders, please save us Mark Carney.

At the end of the day, I would suggest that Canada is no better off that it was 4 years ago, and we have managed to tack on something like 80-90B worth of debt during a time of nearly unprecedented global economic growth.

I look back and struggle to understand how people were so critical of Harper, I also struggle to understand how the Libs believe it is reasonable to include cannabis sales (legal and ILLEGAL???) in the GDP measure.. how TF do you collect data on ILLEGAL CANNABIS SALES? Based on the current shrinking GDP, bad stats for an election year, I believe the inclusion of cannabis in the GDP is nothing more than a shameless strategy to ensure that that the GDP number is not in negative territory coming into the election.

Have a blessed day!
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #268
HELP ME PLS!!!

I agree with most of those points. Though, they are kind of general.

They could possibly use the census to determine the population who uses cannabis. Match that up with current sales and the difference between the two would be illegal sales.

How is Cannabis different from any other industry? It should be included if it contributes to the economy.

Yeah, JT showed his political inexperience by appointing someone who wouldn't play ball over determining what is best for the national interest.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #269

Good point on some how piling on nearly 100 billion in debt in 5 years during an era of one of the largest global economic booms recently. The economy could have gone the complete opposite direction but we're here because of Trudeau's, not only inability, but almost refusal to get anything done to take advantage of the high demand for energy right now. And the worst part is the window is all but closed, and Canada's economy is already slowing significantly.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #270
HELP ME PLS!!!

Might want to verify your data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada#Data
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #271
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Cons and Libs are both crooked as shit, where the Libs/JT went wrong was appointing someone to a critical position that had not yet been indoctrinated to the typical political corruption that most politicians assimilate to while coming up through the party ranks.

The only reason this didn't happen to the Cons is because they would NEVER take a chance like that, normally the Libs wouldn't have either, but JT was all hot and bothered with the idea of being recognized for appointing a female first nations individual as AG.
Fully agree. Trudeau is a neoliberal hack and doesn't have control of actual progressives within his party.

Quote:
What do I want out of the next election? I want less...

- Less debt
- Less taxes
- Less red tape for energy projects and resource development
- Less hand outs
- Less visible corruption
- Less pandering to snowflakes
Do you not believe in the impact of our energy economy on climate change?

How about less corruption period?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #272
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
2 star power female cabinet minister resign for the feminist PM.
Quote:
help me understand what gender and ethnicity has to do with a corruption fallout?

Quote:

- Less debt
- Less taxes
aren't they inversely related? what kind of revenue stream outside of taxation?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-04-2019 at 11:49 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #273
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Referring to what exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
Do you not believe in the impact of our energy economy on climate change?
I've not yet formed a scientific opinion on global warming, it's not because I'm some tinfoil-hat-wearing climate change denier, it's because the matter appears to be quite complex. At a basic level do I believe that the constant generation emissions from the consumption of petroleum products certainly can't be good for the planet. Having said that, until we, as consumers, are willing to make drastic changes to the way we live our lives there will not be any meaningful reduction in GHG's, we are exceptionally wasteful people.

What I have formed an opinion on is that exports represent economic injections and are therefore extremely important to improving the quality of life for Canadians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
How about less corruption period?
I was being facetious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
help me understand what gender and ethnicity has to do with a corruption fallout?
The motivating factors for her appointment fit the JT agenda of gender and ethnicity, specifically his claim of being a "feminist" and his desire for "truth and reconciliation". I would suggest that appointments are normally made on the basis of what is most beneficial to the Party, not what is most pleasing to the narrative/public eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
aren't they inversely related? what kind of revenue stream outside of taxation?
Taxation through increased economic activity as opposed to taxation through increased tax rates.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #274
I don't get it

What chafes my ass about this is the fact that JT picked half his cabinet based on gender equality.
So how much are you for equality when you tell the judge to go "easy" and not apply the laws equally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
The Canadian Government has ALWAYS been in bed with major Canadian firms.

As much as I am not a fan of JT, I really don't put any of this on him. If you think the Conservatives did not cover up corruption for Canadian corporations, or would do the same as JT, you have another thing coming. He just happens to be the guy in power carrying the hot potato that every previous Canadian government would have carried.

Boring story, I don't need to hear Andrew Scheer complain about the actions in which his party would do under the same circumstances. Boring.

It does suck how trash these candidates are for all three major parties, though.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #275
GS8

Thanked 7,279 Times in 1,968 Posts
Identity politics make me cringe. Meritocracy should be the only way. It amazes me that people (usually a vocal minority) would rather see under qualified individuals in certain roles based on their physical appearance yet these are the same people who tell the rest of us not to judge based on physical appearance.

Spoiler!

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote