REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #2026
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Can we just calm down? Yes, it was stupid and hypocritical but name me one person that travelled because they thought, 'Oh, my MP travelled, so that means I can go to Mexico too!'. Those citizens who 'broke' the rules would have done it regardless. Can we put more energy into how we can effectively and quickly get people vaccinated instead?
If they can travel why can't I? I and many other people have cancels lots of plans over the year yet these guys travel like nothing is happening.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #2027
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If they can travel why can't I? I and many other people have cancels lots of plans over the year yet these guys travel like nothing is happening.
Well... I don't agree with them doing any of these things from an optics perspective and I'm not an advocate of travel...

But, that said, you're not prevented from travel any more than they are as long as you can find a flight to somewhere that's open? You just have to follow protocols at your destination and when returning home.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #2028
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
^ Exactly, you can travel ... many people have and will continue to if they can follow all the requirements. It's a strong suggestion or guideline.

Please ... can we move on?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #2029

Quote:
^ Exactly, you can travel ... many people have and will continue to if they can follow all the requirements. It's a strong suggestion or guideline.

Please ... can we move on?
They have been telling us to stop all non-essential travel for months. I and many other people didn't have a family Christmas but Calgary-Peigan MLA Tanya Fir goes to the US to visit her sister. That's pure B.S. If it was OK for them to travel Jason Kenny would not have called them back and would have not banned all non-government related travel.

The finance minister for Ontario resigned after getting caught. Niki Ashton NDP got stripped of all her critic roles after visiting her sick grandma in Greece.

What really pisses me off is they have enough free time to go on a vacation then quarantine for 14 days like it's no big thing.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #2030
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Why are we surprised that politicians are pieces of shit? We pretty much turn a blind eye when they steal money yet were supposed to be outraged when they do non-essential travel? Fuck I'd be satisfied/amazed if they proved that this travel wasn't paid for with our tax dollars lol
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #2031

^^ Are you from the province of any of those who were caught travelling outside? What does it concern you? Why don't you put your energy and focus on your BF Welfare instead? I think he misses you alot!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #2032
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
It isn't a matter of whether someone will travel because they see their MP travelling somewhere for vacation. Instead, it'll probably be something along the lines of people not following any number of other anti-COVID recommendations because those idiot government officials are eroding the government's credibility. It could be something as simple as a person who was already not too willing to wear a mask, but had been begrudgingly doing so. And then he sees these hypocrites breaking the rules that they advocate, so he gets frustrated and starts getting sloppy on his mask use.

I am not expecting people to be saints -- heck, I am definitely not a saint myself. But for someone in a leadership position to flout the rules in such an obvious manner, it isn't just frustrating -- it is infuirating.

At least the Rod Philips dude (Ontario Finance Minster) did the right thing and resigned on his own. With Jason Kenney not doling out any disciplinary action at all, I think he is totally shooting himself in the foot, esp when it comes to Alberta's COVID containment efforts.

Quote:
Can we just calm down? Yes, it was stupid and hypocritical but name me one person that travelled because they thought, 'Oh, my MP travelled, so that means I can go to Mexico too!'. Those citizens who 'broke' the rules would have done it regardless. Can we put more energy into how we can effectively and quickly get people vaccinated instead?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2021, 11:56 PM   #2033
Performance Moderator

There's a pretty good chance Rod Philips didn't put an appropriate amount of leave in for his time away and was pretending to work... there's more to that story than meets the eye. That's likely why he resigned.

The others are just being punished because of optics I would think mostly. They should accept they're in the public's eye and set an appropriate example.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:02 AM   #2034
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
It's like weve all forgot the leader of our country broke travel restrictions in April a few hours after laying out those travel restrictions in one of his front porch statements. Travel over the Ontario Quebec border was closed to all travel entering Quebec and he went to his vacation home for Easter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...er-travel/amp/
Old 01-03-2021, 12:20 AM   #2035
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
There's a pretty good chance Rod Philips didn't put an appropriate amount of leave in for his time away and was pretending to work... there's more to that story than meets the eye. That's likely why he resigned.

The others are just being punished because of optics I would think mostly. They should accept they're in the public's eye and set an appropriate example.
The finance minister position is a pretty important one in the cabinet. For someone with a tarnished reputation to continue to hold that position would be extremely bad optics for the Ontario Conservatives.

And let's not forget how Phillips really outdid his other peers -- he actively planned and released those well-timed social media posts to make it seem like he was still at home. The others were at least stupid enough to "honestly" post on IGs or whatever about how much they were enjoying their vacations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
It's like weve all forgot the leader of our country broke travel restrictions in April a few hours after laying out those travel restrictions in one of his front porch statements. Travel over the Ontario Quebec border was closed to all travel entering Quebec and he went to his vacation home for Easter.

I would be the last person to defend JT, and I am not defending him by any means here. But as far as JT's cross (provincial) border little trip was concerned, it was literally a 30 min drive. Crossing the provincial borders, yes, and that was absolutley against the rules. But a 30 min drive is rather different than going through the trouble of hopping onto a plane to travel to a different country.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #2036

This resignation was not necessary albeit, it was just from committee roles.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #2037

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #2038
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:

JT only travelled there as his wife and kids decamped there after her COVID illness so he could continue to work without distraction. For all intents and purposes Harrington Lake was his principal residence while his family was there.

JT is/was one of the good ones when it came to compliance - he got rid of all the staff that ran his home, took care of his kids by himself while Sophie was sick while still being PM, and grew a massive mop of hair (hey ladies...) for several months while he stayed in (far as I can tell he didn't otherwise leave the house for several months).

He's been a bit of a disappointment as PM but personal COVID compliance isn't anything I begrudge him (he's been better than me at it).
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #2039
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
JT only travelled there as his wife and kids decamped there after her COVID illness so he could continue to work without distraction. For all intents and purposes Harrington Lake was his principal residence while his family was there.

JT is/was one of the good ones when it came to compliance - he got rid of all the staff that ran his home, took care of his kids by himself while Sophie was sick while still being PM, and grew a massive mop of hair (hey ladies...) for several months while he stayed in (far as I can tell he didn't otherwise leave the house for several months).

He's been a bit of a disappointment as PM but personal COVID compliance isn't anything I begrudge him (he's been better than me at it).
she did her quarantine at home in ottawa and left after. his principle residence is in ottawa, he left that home to goto his secondary cottage in quebec, only for the easter long weekend, and then returned back to ottawa and remained there. and despite it only being a 30 minute drive, it was against the covid laws at that time to cross the border from ontario to quebec for anyone except essencial travel. the original point was that government politicians have been going against their own policies. this is a bright as day example of that.

contrarily, travel by air overseas over the christmas holidays wasnt actually against the rules, albeit it was recommended against, and clearly bad optics to do so.

it is funny too, that when horgan announced in his interivew that he was having his family over for christmas and said it was okay to do so, he only changed his mind when the reporter called him out on it. most people on here gave him a pass and said "oh he just didn't know the rules".
Old 01-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #2040

Quote:
she did her quarantine at home in ottawa and left after. his principle residence is in ottawa, he left that home to goto his secondary cottage in quebec, only for the easter long weekend, and then returned back to ottawa and remained there. and despite it only being a 30 minute drive, it was against the covid laws at that time to cross the border from ontario to quebec for anyone except essencial travel. the original point was that government politicians have been going against their own policies. this is a bright as day example of that.

contrarily, travel by air overseas over the christmas holidays wasnt actually against the rules, albeit it was recommended against, and clearly bad optics to do so.

it is funny too, that when horgan announced in his interivew that he was having his family over for christmas and said it was okay to do so, he only changed his mind when the reporter called him out on it. most people on here gave him a pass and said "oh he just didn't know the rules".
Did Horgan break any actual rules?
Old 01-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #2041
Performance Moderator

Quote:

So what do you want to happen?

Horgan got called out and he apologized and changed his plans. I believe him he wasn't trying to hide anything, otherwise why would he say it live on air? People make mistakes, he probably gets tested daily and perhaps his family does too so maybe he thought it was permissible? I have no idea, but it's not like he didn't correct it immediately.

Trudeau's thing is such a technicality. It's pretty obvious you just hate the guy or else you'd look at the situation from a non-partisan perspective and what the intent of the rule at the time was (to prevent Quebecers from going shopping in Ontario when Quebec was locked down) shrug your shoulders like, he wasn't going shopping cross border and directly in a car to a residence of his... I mean I'm not even a huge fan of his or anyone else's, but I just don't feel it's worthy of upset.

I mean, I do get the bare fundamentals of what you're saying, but it feels like you're reaching for straws in a field full of sippy cups.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #2042
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
So what do you want to happen?

Horgan got called out and he apologized and changed his plans. I believe him he wasn't trying to hide anything, otherwise why would he say it live on air? People make mistakes, he probably gets tested daily and perhaps his family does too so maybe he thought it was permissible? I have no idea, but it's not like he didn't correct it immediately.

Trudeau's thing is such a technicality. It's pretty obvious you just hate the guy or else you'd look at the situation from a non-partisan perspective and what the intent of the rule at the time was (to prevent Quebecers from going shopping in Ontario when Quebec was locked down) shrug your shoulders like, he wasn't going shopping cross border and directly in a car to a residence of his... I mean I'm not even a huge fan of his or anyone else's, but I just don't feel it's worthy of upset.

I mean, I do get the bare fundamentals of what you're saying, but it feels like you're reaching for straws in a field full of sippy cups.
I think the big difference between Horgan's situation and Trudeau's is that Horgan was planning to have his son and daughter-in-law, who were from outside his household (and don't "live alone"). Kudos to the guy for realizing how the optics of that would look and changing his plans.

Trudeau went to see his immediate family, his household. Given the nuance in situation, I give him a pass no big deal.

I'll also say that there's no fucking advisory or law they can put in place that's going to keep me from my wife and kid in any situation.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #2043
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Someone can argue rules are rules, but that’s usually what people want to do when they want to make someone they don’t like (Trudeau) look as bad as someone else that did something that’s fairly obviously worse.
It’s like Trudeau got caught going 20 over and Bobason’s Sunnyvale staff got DUIs and saying “well they both broke rules!”
You can be sure I’d be ignoring health orders to see my wife if that’s what it came down to, especially when sick/recovering from an illness, but I’m probably not going to have a good old trip to Hawaii.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #2044

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/6-alta-g...ersy-1.5252989

6 Alta. government members demoted amid international travel controversy

Quote:
Two senior Alberta government members are among seven public officials and staff who are facing consequences after leaving the country in December.

Premier Jason Kenney announced Monday at noon he had accepted resignations from Municipal Affairs Minister Tracy Allard and his own chief of staff, Jamie Huckabay.

As well, Jeremy Nixon will leave his role as parliamentary secretary for civil society and Jason Stephan from Treasury Board.

Three other MLAs – Tanya Fir, Pat Rehn, and Tany Yao – have lost their legislative committee responsibilities, he added.

They, along with Allard, Nixon and Stephan, will remain MLAs.

"By travelling abroad over the holidays, these individuals demonstrated extremely poor judgement," Kenney said.

"I have listened to Albertans who are sending a clear message that they want real consequences for these actions."

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2021/01...eputy-premier/

Kenney would have known about MLAs’ vacation plans: former deputy premier

Quote:
– Premier Jason Kenney said he was previously unaware that several United Conservative staff members and MLAs travelled abroad for the holidays – but a former Alberta deputy premier isn’t buying it.

Long-time Alberta MLA and former cabinet member Thomas Lukaszuk – an elected official with the Progressive Conservative party from 2001 to 2015 – says Kenney would likely have known the whereabouts of his MLAs before the issue turned into a scandal.

He says there’s a process for politicians and members of cabinet who want to leave the province.

“There is a form that says when you are going, where you are going, how long and how to contact you,” said Lukaszuk. “It’s not like you sign those forms and they go into a shredder.”

I guess they did break the rules after all.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #2045

Mad max went to Florida for a vacation in November.

https://www.narcity.com/en-ca/news/m...not-even-sorry
Old 01-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #2046

Who says conservatives are racist?

https://pressprogress.ca/conservativ...from-neo-nazi/

Quote:
The Conservative Party of Canada says party leader Erin O’Toole is “outraged” after discovering one of his MPs accepted money from a notorious neo-Nazi.

The Conservative leader was reacting to a request for comment from PressProgress inquiring about Elections Canada records that show neo-Nazi Paul Fromm donated $131 to the Conservative Party of Canada in 2020.

Conservative Party Communications Director Cory Hann told PressProgress the donation was not directed to the party, but to the failed Conservative leadership candidate Derek Sloan, who is currently a sitting MP in O’Toole’s caucus.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #2047
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
doesnt really say their racist...
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:50 PM   #2048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
doesnt really say their racist...
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/o-to...form-1.5272129

Quote:
OTTAWA -- Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole says he wants Ontario MP Derek Sloan kicked out of the party caucus over a donation to his leadership campaign from a white supremacist.

In a statement Monday evening, O'Toole said accepting the contribution is "far worse than a gross error of judgment or failure of due diligence" by his former leadership rival.

It's up to Conservative MPs whether to eject Sloan from their number, but O'Toole said he'll use his power as party leader to ban him from running as a Tory in the next election.
Related Stories

No place for 'far right' in Conservative Party, Erin O'Toole says
Black Conservatives seek to mobilize more support in wake of Leslyn Lewis' success
In pushing to amend conversion therapy bill, Tories seek to bridge caucus divide

"Racism is a disease of the soul, repugnant to our core values. It has no place in our country. It has no place in the Conservative Party of Canada. I won't tolerate it," O'Toole said in the statement, issued less than three hours after word of Sloan's donation emerged.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #2049

Another friend of the Trudeau family, JT appointment, got axed. Sounded like a real bi*ch!

Gov. Gen. Julie Payette resigns, says 'I am sorry' after 'tensions have arisen at Rideau Hall'

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/gov-...hall-1.5276646
Old 01-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #2050
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
People are calling for replacement to be first nations.

How about appointing a person for their abilities?

Doesn't matter if the person is indigenous, female, LGBBQ, jewish, Armenian, or Vulcan. They should be the best candidate to fulfill the position.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote