REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #2151
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
More Liberal patronage. $237 million contract for ventilators to an ex Liberal party MP, who insisted on payment upfront, only 500 delivered to Canadians and 20,000 sitting on the shelves. This pandemic has been a Liberal hay day for patronage, yet no one seems to mind

https://thepostmillennial.com/trudea...QQkYVcUaIGvFE0
You complain when the government is short on an item, now you complain the government has too much of an item. I would rather have too many ventilators and not need them then the opposite.
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2021, 04:06 AM   #2152
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
You complain when the government is short on an item, now you complain the government has too much of an item. I would rather have too many ventilators and not need them then the opposite.
Still judging people before asking their opinion, we have too many of them.

Look, thieves suck. Political thieves, regardless of party, suck more because they use their privileges to soak millions from the public.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #2153

Libs 35%
cons 28%
NDP 22%
Old 04-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #2154
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
And the (federal) Liberals have officially adopted UBI (universal basic income) as official party policy. And in the same fashion as Trudeau's famous belief of how "the budget will balance itself", there is no mention of how UBI and a gob ton of other expensive pipe dreams can be paid for:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04...care-oas-hike/

As a piss poor middle class family, I don't expect to benefit from UBI at all. On the other hand, I can already see how I'd be the prime target to shoulder the burden. In theory, I would think that middle class people (such as myself) will be opposed to this since we'll be the primary bearers of the program's costs. On the other hand, I have so little faith in Canadian voters' "wisdom" that I think the Liberals could still have a very real chance of winning the next election despite everything UBI represents...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #2155
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
And the (federal) Liberals have officially adopted UBI (universal basic income) as official party policy. And in the same fashion as Trudeau's famous belief of how "the budget will balance itself", there is no mention of how UBI and a gob ton of other expensive pipe dreams can be paid for:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04...care-oas-hike/

As a piss poor middle class family, I don't expect to benefit from UBI at all. On the other hand, I can already see how I'd be the prime target to shoulder the burden. In theory, I would think that middle class people (such as myself) will be opposed to this since we'll be the primary bearers of the program's costs. On the other hand, I have so little faith in Canadian voters' "wisdom" that I think the Liberals could still have a very real chance of winning the next election despite everything UBI represents...
If people are dumb enough to vote Trudeau and the Liberals back in we'll see a 50c CAD to the USD within five years. Maybe even three. As it is the debt bubble isn't just going to pop in this country it's going to explode. The red ink is overflowing, government spending is beyond out of control, and we don't have an economy to pull us out of it with the killing of the energy sector. We were in recession before the pandemic hit, back when around 25% of Canadians were within $200 of insolvency. That number has doubled in just one year.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/half...rvey-1.5379871

Get your money in to fixed assets immediately if you aren't already, the Canadian Peso is coming. If UBI is established the Canadian dollar will be worthless. People often talk about voting for the lesser of the evils in politics. There has never been a more white-collar evil in Canada than the Trudeau Liberals.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #2156

But I thought biden was going to destroy the US? So I guess it's a race to see who does it first. You cons are all soon and gloom.

Everyone who wants a vaccine shot will have it buy September. Liberals will win a majority, NDP will pick up a few seats, and the cons will lose some.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:25 PM   #2157
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
If people are dumb enough to vote Trudeau and the Liberals back in we'll see a 50c CAD to the USD within five years. Maybe even three. As it is the debt bubble isn't just going to pop in this country it's going to explode. The red ink is overflowing, government spending is beyond out of control, and we don't have an economy to pull us out of it with the killing of the energy sector. We were in recession before the pandemic hit, back when around 25% of Canadians were within $200 of insolvency. That number has doubled in just one year.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/half...rvey-1.5379871

Get your money in to fixed assets immediately if you aren't already, the Canadian Peso is coming. If UBI is established the Canadian dollar will be worthless. People often talk about voting for the lesser of the evils in politics. There has never been a more white-collar evil in Canada than the Trudeau Liberals.
I think you're correct about inflation and that fixed assets are a better bet, but that's a result of COVID not a particular political party.

Rather than random conjecture though, how about some facts? Safe to say that the government in power at any given time is not directly responsible for what's happening at that exact moment, as those wheels of economics started turning in years prior possible before they were even around.

So when was the Canadian dollar worth the same or more than the US dollar?

It was worth more than the US dollar from 1953 until 1960... now the Liberals were in power from 1935 until 1957. Guess who took over in 1957? The Progressive CONSERVATIVE party... 3 years later (ie: when their policies were taking effect)... Canadian dollar was tanking. In fact, the Conservaties ended up pegging the Canadian dollar at 92.5cents for many years until Trudeau's dad came along and unpegged it, allowing it to be market determined, and it again reached parity.

So far, 2/2... LIBERAL government policies making the Canadian dollar equal or greater in value than the US dollar.

It stayed high for years, peaking at $1.04 before 1976 when Quebec decided to start talking about separating from Canada and inflation rates in the early 1980's rose past 20%.

Another Conservative government came into power under Mulroney in 1984... and guess what? 1986 was a new low for the Canadian dollar.

At this point, the Canadian dollar basically meandered about with little improvement through most of the 90's and culminated in another all-time low in 2002. This period was split between Conservatives and a Chretien led Liberal government, so call it toss-up, neither of them were effective in this regard, though the dollar did rise sharply toward the end of Chretien's reign... Paul Martin took over and under the Liberal party it continued to rise culminating in a high water mark again 2007. Stephen Harper was in charge at that time, but again for less than a year and none of his policies had taken effect.

It then tanked again under Harper, but rose back up a couple years later, so we can say the Harper government was carbon neutral as far as dollar valuations... it fell under their reign but also recovered quickly, so call it a win for them.

It's fallen again under Trudeau for most of his first term, but has actually gained more than 10% in the last year and is on its way back up.

So, in short, by my count Liberal governments saw growth in the Canadian dollar in 3/5 regimes so far with the other 2 showing fall and growth within the same time in power.

Under conservative government rule, the Canadian dollar fell sharply 3/4 times and in fact was unnecessarily pegged for almost 15 years at an artificially low exchange rate. The other 1/4 time was also a period with sharp losses and also gains that kind of wash each other out.

So, knowing the history, tell me again which party, historically speaking, has had a poor effect on the CDN v US Dollar? It sure hasn't been the Liberal governments.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #2158

Bear in mind that at any given time, the CDN-US exchange rate alone is not necessarily a suitable indicator of whether the rate is good or bad for Canada. While a weak loonie might mean our international purchasing power is compromised, it could also be a boon for meaningful foreign investment and to our exports. The reverse could also be true.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #2159
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
^Give me a break, you can't change the rules when 68 is responding to a demonstrably incorrect statement.

JD13 alleged that Liberal governments tank the actual CDN dollar in relation to the US dollar. He then provided historical facts contrarian to that. You can't turn around and then say, "Well the actual exchange rate alone doesn't matter"
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #2160

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Traum, did you red pill yourself over the last year?

I could've sworn you had different politics a year or so ago. Unless I'm out to lunch here, just curious.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #2161

Mikemhg, I am just providing background information. 68 was providing a historical recount of the loonie's value, and it seems to be generally correct. I am not as good a historian as he is, nor am I able to precisely recall when a weak loonie was beneficial or detrimental during those past eras. All I'm saying is, the exchange rate is an additional variable in the equation, and we can't look at that alone.

On a personal level, a weak loonie is almost always a bad thing, esp for us car guys because since gas and those damn car parts will get noticeably pricier.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #2162
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I think you're correct about inflation and that fixed assets are a better bet, but that's a result of COVID not a particular political party.
Totally agree with everything in your post. The exchange rate rises and falls for a myriad of reasons from politics to economic policy to value of commodities. My post wasn't about the historical value of the dollar by party in power and all about what's been happening in the country in the last few years. Trudeau Liberals are nothing like Liberal parties of the past under Chretien, Martin, et al. Chretien's government would be considered extreme-right alt-anonQ devil worshippers these days since they opposed same-sex marriage during his tenure.

Anyway - Trudeau had record setting deficits in relation to GDP before COVID. He racked up 94.3 Billion dollars in debt since taking office in 2015 after he inherited a balanced budget post 2008 economic crisis. He actually managed to turn a projected 1.4 billion surplus in 2015 from the Harper government in to a 2.9 billion deficit, and he took over in November of that year! He's blown tens of billions of dollars in bullshit since 2015, and what have we all seen from it? Billions have disappeared in to thin air, they've had to have parliamentary committees to find out where it was all going and now it's been buried by COVID. These aren't accounting errors, it's FRAUD.

Now the Trudeau Liberals have avoided tabling a budget for years and it's looking like he's added 400 billion in national debt. Again just printing money with no checks or balances, funneling it to his friends (cue the various scandals, ethics violations, stepping down of the Finance Minister, et al) and continuing to float businesses and citizens on and on and on because the Federal governments handling of the pandemic has been so piss poor. But, say it in Charmin Quadruple Soft with me "We're all..... ummm.... in this.... together."

The post-mortem on the Trudeau Liberals and how much money they've wasted or stolen from us, the taxpayers, will be eye-watering. That is if they don't destroy all the evidence first. What does it all mean? Massive inflation, lack of investment in the country, falling GDP, explosion of debt, downgraded credit ratings, and all of us get fucked as a result.

To be clear I'm not anti-everything Liberal party, now or historically. But Trudeau and his cabinet are a fucking metastatic cancer in this country both personally and professionally. I would actually vote for drunken Lizzy over Trudeau because despite also being an incompetent idiot I can't see her being anywhere near as unethical a PM as Trudeau has been.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:52 PM   #2163
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Justin is a cute lapdog

Ottawa threatens HFX funding over Taiwan

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-taiwan-480722
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:16 AM   #2164

It's unbelievable that Trudeau and the Liberals can be so naive... Short of releasing Meng Wenzhou, there is nothing Canada can do to appease China. And if Trudeau attempts anything to influence that outcome, not only will Canada piss off the US, it will let China know that its tactics of coercion and high level pressure will work on Canada, so they will continue to use it to bend Canada into doing their bidding.

Appeasement did not work with Nazi Germany, and it will not work with Communist China. When will Trudeau and leaders in the Canadian government realize that?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Justin is a cute lapdog

Ottawa threatens HFX funding over Taiwan

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-taiwan-480722
Old 04-13-2021, 07:33 AM   #2165
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
they awarded the HK protests so this was interesting

my guess is the award will go through as intended, beijing will write a nasty article on global times, but the liberals wont pull funding

the fact ottawa is influencing an independent decision is disturbing though; sorta like the snc lavalin scandal

changing gears, i have some criticisms of CoV mayor but at least he seems to take a stand against our housing crisis and homelessness and also the ongoing genocide

Stewart to suspend meetings and contact with Chinese government officials
https://biv.com/article/2021/04/chin...ancouver-mayor
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #2166
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
^ that has to be literally the first thing I've ever seen or heard of Stewart doing that seemed like a good move... not that he's appeared to have done all that much at all
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #2167
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
This country is so backward..

CBC has A bunch of native elders speaking glowingly of prince Philip. The monarchy is literally the reason why there are all these native issues, residential schools, systemic racism etc.

Yet we have our public broadcasters praising prince Philip and the monarchy..

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-17-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #2168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This country is so backward..

CBC has A bunch of native elders speaking glowingly of prince Philip. The monarchy is literally the reason why there are all these native issues, residential schools, systemic racism etc.

Yet we have our public broadcasters praising prince Philip and the monarchy..
https://www.conservative.ca/statemen...prince-philip/

Quote:
A great man is gone. What remains is Prince Philip’s example of steadfast service during a life of obligation, and a legacy of discreetly performed good works through which our country will be blessed for years to come.

“His death is a deep loss.”

The only thing you get from the NDP/Singh.

Quote:
. Tweet
Jagmeet Singh
@theJagmeetSingh
·
Apr 9
So many families have experienced the loss of a loved one this past year.

I extend my condolences to Prince Philip's family during this difficult time

Last edited by Manic!; 04-17-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #2169
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Does this story even make sense? So there is a building in Chinatown that some agency bought and in partnership with Government wants to turn it into homes for Indigenous homeless youths. Great, good cause. But the problem is that they now have to displace 70 elderly individuals (families) in order to provide homes for another vulnerable group. Who makes this stupidity up ... what are we doing, playing musical chairs with homeless and vulnerable people ?

https://vancouversun.com/news/reps-f...n-seniors-home

Last edited by whitev70r; 04-19-2021 at 11:22 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2021, 05:21 AM   #2170

Budget day
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #2171

How are we gonna pay for all this???
Old 04-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #2172
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Taxes probably? Maybe if the countries wealthy, and corporations had been paying their fair share this all wouldn't be so far fetched.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #2173

Quote:
The exact same why they pay for tax cuts. Increased spending by people meaning more tax revenue.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #2174

Quote:
Mom and Dad's credit card
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #2175
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Grand kid's credit card
fix'd

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: