REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #101
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Vancouver - the city of choice for Chinese criminals
Advertisement
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #102
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That's what I'm saying, most people don't realize the US clearance is like going through the main security all over again. Maybe it's better now but it would've been nice if someone along the line gave people a heads up not to buy anything in the regular departures area because you'll have to toss it when you get to pre-clearance.
Ok, maybe it's just me misreading but where is this "US clearance security"? I've flown to the US numerous times from the YVR US terminal and the Procedure is like this:

1. Airline Check-In Counters > 2. Security (CATSA) > 3. US Pre-clearance (US Immigration Officers) > 4. Boarding Gate area

At what point can you buy things between 2. and 3.? I'm pretty sure all the restaurants and shops are at 1. and 4.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #103
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Maybe it's because I've always flown in from Kelowna first. I do 1 and 2 in Kelowna, land at YVR at a normal gate inside the departures area, then go through 3 and 4. Looking at a map of YVR I think 3 is accessed in two places and which one you go through depends on whether you're starting at YVR or coming in from another flight. It's been a few years since I did it but it was always:

1. Airline Check-In Counters in Kelowna > 2. Security (CATSA) in Kelowna > 2a. Fly to YVR > 2b. Land at A/B/C gate > 2c. Walk through YVR Departures area (withing YVR security area) > 3. US Pre-clearance (US Immigration Officers) > 4. Boarding Gate area (D/E gates)
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #104
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,164 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
You know, I am really quite worried that's how this one is going to pan out. Esp with the bail hearing and her request citing poor health and medical reasons, the leftard parts of Canada might actually be stupid enough to allow this to happen.

I'm pretty sure leftards would be pushing for accountability for corrupt billionaires.
The only people hoping for her release are people blindly defending the rich's right to do whatever they want without consequences because its "bad for business."
Either way, where you fall on the political spectrum seems irrelevant to the issue at hand. The laws the law, and hopefully its upheld, including her being released if she in fact did nothing wrong.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #105
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Maybe it's because I've always flown in from Kelowna first. I do 1 and 2 in Kelowna, land at YVR at a normal gate inside the departures area, then go through 3 and 4. Looking at a map of YVR I think 3 is accessed in two places and which one you go through depends on whether you're starting at YVR or coming in from another flight. It's been a few years since I did it but it was always:

1. Airline Check-In Counters in Kelowna > 2. Security (CATSA) in Kelowna > 2a. Fly to YVR > 2b. Land at A/B/C gate > 2c. Walk through YVR Departures area (withing YVR security area) > 3. US Pre-clearance (US Immigration Officers) > 4. Boarding Gate area (D/E gates)
Got it! I have never connected through Vancouver (why would I? it's my home) So I have never experienced this. Yes, that does sound confusing for a first timer or infrequent traveller. Go petition Homeland Security for a Kelowna Airport Preclearance station .

This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #106
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Either way, where you fall on the political spectrum seems irrelevant to the issue at hand. The laws the law, and hopefully its upheld, including her being released if she in fact did nothing wrong.
What I'm saying is -- I'm worried that Meng and her legal team will find a loophole or technicality of some sort to get herself out of police detention, and then good luck trying to re-arrest her. I agree with the US DOJ's assessment that she is absolutely a major flight risk.

I also have no doubts that Meng has in fact done something wrong -- basically I believe the US DOJ's accusations on her. Obviously, finding enough evidence to prove that Meng has in fact done something wrong is an entirely separate matter from whether she has done them, but that is what the Canadian and US legal system requires.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #107
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
I did some quick reading on today's hearing.

I'm no expert in law, but I really don't know what Meng's lawyer is trying to do here?

First, they wanted to portray Meng as a commoner who worked her ass off to reach the executive level of the company and she's really just another employee out of the thousands within Huawei and hence her risk of fleeing is low because again... she's just any other Jane Doe out there with a job.

Then when discussing the security needed to grant her bail, he mentioned that if the court isn't satisfied with the partial-cash-partial-property proposal, she can arrange to do all 15M in cash...

Isn't that a clear contrast of the original image? What kind of commoners can post 15M cash on demand?! I know she's rich and all... but the whole point of the bond was that in the case that the person wanted to flee, her life would be severely changed by losing the bond. He made it sound like 15M is pocket change for her.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #108
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Just reading through the Chinese media articles on this.
Some creative journalism for sure. Hahajahahaha! Awesome
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #109
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

I'm no expert in law, but I really don't know what Meng's lawyer is trying to do here?

First, they wanted to portray Meng as a commoner who worked her ass off to reach the executive level of the company and she's really just another employee out of the thousands within Huawei and hence her risk of fleeing is low because again... she's just any other Jane Doe out there with a job.

Then when discussing the security needed to grant her bail, he mentioned that if the court isn't satisfied with the partial-cash-partial-property proposal, she can arrange to do all 15M in cash...

Isn't that a clear contrast of the original image? What kind of commoners can post 15M cash on demand?! I know she's rich and all... but the whole point of the bond was that in the case that the person wanted to flee, her life would be severely changed by losing the bond. He made it sound like 15M is pocket change for her.
15 millions is very so pocket change to her. For god sake she has a frekean legal team working around the clock trying to find a loop hole or solution. Those lawyers probably getting big bucks as well.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #110
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

Chinese lawyers are dumb, that's why. Also, I doubt she's a common worker being the daughter of the founder of the billion dollar company

They will decide tomorrow what to do, the crown is asking for 7M cash but Meng is hoping for 1M cash. I don't think it matters what it is, she's gonna pay it immediately and get out of dodge anyway.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #111
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
The idea that they are allowing bail is insane.. She has literally as much money as she'll need, no matter what they set it at. You're basically telling China how much they need to pay to get her out.

Are they really?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 AM   #112
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
https://beta.scmp.com/news/china/dip...detained-china

former Canadian diplomat now detained in China
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #113

RIP that guy

China isolating itself from the rest of the world, and moving further and further from anything resembling normalcy, day by day
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #114
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
RIP that guy

China isolating itself from the rest of the world, and moving further and further from anything resembling normalcy, day by day
gonna be a fun Saturday walking through chinese customs with a big giant hockey canada bag...
Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #115

I haven't set foot in mainland in like 6 years... fuuuuuuck that shit
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #116
Rs has made me the man i am today!

And here I am planning on going to China on vacation in 5 months time. Time to reconsider?
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #117

If you ever want to visit China, go sooner rather than later. It's probably only going to get worse from here on. They are attempting to wipe the culture again and redo it in the president's image. How far they can go until the people push back, we'll find out eventually
Old 12-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #118
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I haven't set foot in mainland in like 6 years... fuuuuuuck that shit
hey, whats that flag ontop of your local police station

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
hey, whats that flag ontop of your local police station
Good one
Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #120
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kov...sday-1.4940725

Ex-Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig detained in China
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #121
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
And here I am planning on going to China on vacation in 5 months time. Time to reconsider?
U be fine. Nothing illegal and there's no reason to arrest a random person.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #122
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Are you a VIP or a well-connected international businessman? No? Why would they give a fuck?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #123
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
https://beta.scmp.com/news/china/dip...detained-china

former Canadian diplomat now detained in China
How so typical of the authoritarian thug that China is. Such a childish and moronic act to detain a Canadian in retailation of Meng's arrest. Even Fat Boy Kim knows international diplomacy better than China does...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #124
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
You will be fine. I went back in Nov and back then people were saying China custom literally checks everyone and if you bring any expensive stuff (Canada Goose, health care products like Usana.....) they will charge you a ton of tax. My parents and I didn't even have our luggage x ray lol.

So you will be fine. They wouldn't care at all about us regular guys like us.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #125
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
#Vancouver problems, "homemaker" able to pledge 850K of a 6M house

"MengWanzhou's lawyer suggesting there are "other sureties" other than Ms Meng's husband.

MengWanzhou now suggesting that Meng's realtor will be providing surety in the case. He helped them with both their home purchases in Vancouver; He will be putting up his home -- worth $1.8 million.

MengWanzhou lawyer suggesting there are four people intending to act as Meng's surety. Next are Lee Lin and Ken Louie

Says they will pledge $500,000 of their home's equity. Home total value is $1.4 million. They had worked with Ms Meng at Huawei and known her since the mid 1990s

Next offering to be surety for MengWanzhou is a Lee Shi, homemaker. She is pledging $850,000 of the equity in her $6 million home on West 54th Avenue in Vancouver. Her husband used to work with Meng at Huawei

Next is a Ms Peng, a neighbour of MengWanzhou on 28th Avenue in Vancouver. Says she knows both Meng and her husband well. She is a yoga instructor and has a cheque for $50,000 ready to give to the court. It comes from her retirement savings. Huawei"
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: