REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #176
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm surprised that out of all the suggestions that have been made on her escape plan, no one entertained the notion of her bribing the people responsible for monitoring her. Plausible deniability would say: technical malfunction with bracelet, momentary lapse in monitoring operation...the list goes on.

I agree with Snowball in that the Americans are not necessarily looking to prosecute but rather use her as a bargaining chip. Now that the original plan is out of the bag, its on to plan B: throw a political tantrum

Side question: Does that Michael Kovrig guy get released if there was in fact a correlation between his arrest and the CFO of Huawei?
Advertisement
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #177
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
hahaha what an idiot pretty much letting everyone know she's a bargaining chip
So in the end this is just some old fashion medieval hostage trade negotiation tactic.
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #178
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
too obvious

everyone knows bribery is #1 option for the Chinese, basically SoP
i'm sure the security team will be checked for accepting one if they make up cop-out excuses like that (pun not intended)

the ex-diplomat probably is tied to a reason even if it's insigificant like stealing a pack of gums ..they'll find something to pin him to throw the books at him....i'm sure we'll get him back maybe after a year or 3...he's basically a fodder at this point in a trade war...he must really detest Trump right now

remember this happened right after Canada accused them of hacking our network?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d09b12e7a2f9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I'm surprised that out of all the suggestions that have been made on her escape plan, no one entertained the notion of her bribing the people responsible for monitoring her. Plausible deniability would say: technical malfunction with bracelet, momentary lapse in monitoring operation...the list goes on.

I agree with Snowball in that the Americans are not necessarily looking to prosecute but rather use her as a bargaining chip. Now that the original plan is out of the bag, its on to plan B: throw a political tantrum

Side question: Does that Michael Kovrig guy get released if there was in fact a correlation between his arrest and the CFO of Huawei?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #179
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Given the technical knowhow that Huawei has, I think there's a far easier way than bribing the people who watch her (people is too much of a variable).

Check how the bracelet obtain GPS data, make an antenna to spoof it (so a tiny device that broadcast the needed GPS signal to confuse the bracelet)... goes to wherever she wants while bracelet still shows she's at home... once gone, take everything off... done.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #180

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts

I am sure you will find a dozen of Meng lookalike c-lai in Aberdeen center. Pay a couple million and swap the bracelet with her.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #181
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,309 Times in 5,631 Posts
It will look terrible for Hauwei if she does flee so I feel like it won’t happen anyways
Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #182
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
juicy couture all the way

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #183
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It will look terrible for Hauwei if she does flee so I feel like it won’t happen anyways
That's the argument that I've heard, and while I agree it would be corporate suicide in North America, Huawai could toss up the middle finger to our continent and not have it hurt their bottom line.

First off, they're not doing a lot of business in North America. Their market is Africa, Asia, and eastern Europe. With those markets they've recently grown to be larger than Apple. Not to mention they were incredibly limited in their American business abilities already.

Second, if she and her country truly believe that Huawai is innocent, then this becomes more about politics than about justice. She could return to China as a hero while the countries leader's toss words back and forth for years.

So while she would be done in North America and Western Europe, does she really need them?
Once Trump is gone I hope that the world is able to actually play nice again. I prefer the phony political respect, compared to the joke that the fat orange fuck is running right now.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #184
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
That's the argument that I've heard, and while I agree it would be corporate suicide in North America, Huawai could toss up the middle finger to our continent and not have it hurt their bottom line.

First off, they're not doing a lot of business in North America. Their market is Africa, Asia, and eastern Europe. With those markets they've recently grown to be larger than Apple. Not to mention they were incredibly limited in their American business abilities already.

Second, if she and her country truly believe that Huawai is innocent, then this becomes more about politics than about justice. She could return to China as a hero while the countries leader's toss words back and forth for years.

So while she would be done in North America and Western Europe, does she really need them?
Once Trump is gone I hope that the world is able to actually play nice again. I prefer the phony political respect, compared to the joke that the fat orange fuck is running right now.
They might not be selling a lot of cell phones to N.American when you compare it to Apple or Samsung but they sell a lot of networking hardware, servers and they plan to build the 5G network for Canada. SO no their business is huge in N.America and Europe. They are trying to bid for the 5G network if she runs away then good luck having any European country letting them build their 5g network when already a few European country including US have been them ban from it. It will only make them look worse.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 12-12-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #185
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Meng is currently at the Alouette Correctional Centre for Women. Things are not looking good for her there. First of all, they are going to pluck her feathers, then her beak, and then her head Allouette shows no mercy
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #186

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
Meng is currently at the Alouette Correctional Centre for Women. Things are not looking good for her there. First of all, they are going to pluck her feathers, then her beak, and then her head Allouette shows no mercy
bruh, she left last night from the law courts

now on a gulfstream in the middle of the pacific

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #187
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:

cell phone market is only a small percentage of what the company does. theyre a major player in the telecommunication equipment industry in n. america. y else would trump boycott and advises canada to stop dealing with huawei a few months back after discovering backdoors baked into the equipment by huawei.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #188
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
All this recent news about Chinese business groups threatening to boycott Canadian products in response to Meng's possible extradition to the US.

Canada Goose Parka's stock dropped almost 20 percent on Tuesday.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/huawei-f...oars-1.1181397

What's next? Maple syrup? Lumber products?

Last edited by pastarocket; 12-12-2018 at 12:35 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #189
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,285 Times in 2,505 Posts
Huawei has been dogged with security risks / spyware / backdoor loopholes accusations from Western governments for quite a while. And lately, a lot of Western countries -- including US, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc. -- have started banning Huawei from participating in their next gen 5G networks. One country (maybe Aussie?) even planning on phasing out their 4G network infrastructure equipment as well. I think this where the majority of their profits is made from, and it is drying up fast.

(Incidentally, Canada -- in particular, Eastern Canada -- continues to use a lot of Huawei network infrastructure equipment.)

According to news sources that I have read, Huawei's profit margins in the African and Eastern Europe markets are much smaller compared to their N.America markets.

Given the close ties to the CCP and PLA (Communist Party and People Liberation Army), Western countries would be stupid to not consider Huawei a security threat.

Quote:

Last edited by Traum; 12-12-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #190
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
They might not be selling a lot of cell phones to N.American when you compare it to Apple or Samsung but they sell a lot of networking hardware, servers and they plan to build the 5G network for Canada. SO no their business is huge in N.America and Europe. They are trying to bid for the 5G network if she runs away then good luck having any European country letting them build their 5g network when already a few European country including US have been them ban from it. It will only make them look worse.
Ooh wow, all of Canada, eh?
So what's that, like 20 cities? With a population the size of California?

The charges in the US would effectively ban Huawai in the US market making it a moot point anyway. Huawai knows that the US is where you need to be, and with Trump in power a Chinese company would never get an American gov't or major corporate contract. Trump said that Huawai components couldn't be trusted inside of the US telecom infrastructure. Especially since they have ties to the Chinese gov't.

So suddenly the US market isn't as inviting as it should be.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
cell phone market is only a small percentage of what the company does. theyre a major player in the telecommunication equipment industry in n. america. y else would trump boycott and advises canada to stop dealing with huawei a few months back after discovering backdoors baked into the equipment by huawei.
Again, Huawai knew that they weren't going to be playing in that market anyway.
And don't discount the cel phone business either. It's worth $36 Billion usd per year to them. It's much closer to 40% these days.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #191
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Minister Chrystia Freeland confirms another Canadian reached out to Global Affairs because he was being asked questions by Chinese authorities. She does not suggest that he was detained, but says Canadian officials do not know his whereabouts and have spoken with his family.
Ottawa loses contact with Canadian in China who reported being questioned by Chinese
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #192
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
All this recent news about Chinese business groups threatening to boycott Canadian products in response to Meng's possible extradition to the US.

Canada Goose Parka's stock dropped almost 20 percent on Tuesday.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/huawei-f...oars-1.1181397

What's next? Maple syrup? Lumber products?
Good maybe Chinese will stop wearing Canada goose and there won't be as much of an eye sore when I go shopping at the malls. Maybe they will buying up our baby formula , seafood, salmon so we can actually buy them now.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #193
Need my Daily Fix of RS

does that mean the arcteryx factory sale will be free from line-ups and crowd?!
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #194
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
The Chinese boycotts brand all the freaking time.

Memory of an average Chinese shopper is just a little better than gold fishes.

They are already starting to forget about their last boycott D&G
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #195
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
When she flees, hopefully they use the bail money to fix ICBC
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #196

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
huawei is already shunned by governments in new zealand, soon australia and UK
being barred from a big chunk of the west for infrastructure is a substantial blow

i believe they even have an office here and in toronto...must be awkard working there these past 2 weeks
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #197
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,646 Times in 3,105 Posts
Lawl I just bought a shit load of goose stocks.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #198

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Lawl I just bought a shit load of goose stocks.
yeah i wonder how many Chinese investors are selling because their government said north Americans are the bad guys right now.

fucking idiots,Well there is money to be made now for us
Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #199

https://globalnews.ca/news/4757058/h...ancouver-home/
VANCOUVER – A pizza delivery to the Vancouver home of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou turned into an unexpected lunch on Wednesday for members of the media camped outside.

When six pizza were delivered to Meng’s house the delivery driver was instructed to take four of them to reporters and photographers who were stationed on the sidewalk.

READ MORE: Huawei CFO could be on the hook for more than $1M per year in security costs: expert

Meng made a brief appearance at the front door earlier when she said goodbye to three people who left in a car with diplomatic licence plates.

Meng was freed Tuesday on $10 million bail by a B.C. Supreme Court judge.

The terms of her bail also require Meng to wear an electronic tracking device and be subject to 24-hour surveillance by a company that employs former police and military personnel to monitor people.

READ MORE: Trudeau’s justice minister will make final call on Meng Wanzhou extradition — if court approves it

Meng is facing possible extradition to the United States on allegations she misled financial institutions about business Huawei did with Iranian telecommunications companies in violation of international sanctions.

She has denied the allegations through her lawyer in court, promising to fight them if she is extradited.

Huawei

Huawei CFO

huawei cfo pizza

meng

Meng Wanzhou

meng wanzhou pizza
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #200

danned is offline   Reply With Quote