REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Every dealership charges a minimum of 1 hour for engine lights, to begin with anyways.
I mean if you don't like it, you could go elsewhere.
How else do you pay for the techs, advisors, and so on.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #27
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
im not sure of the brand but my dad bought one for himself and me which is a wireless bluetooth OBD reader/performance monitor

you buy the plug-in adapter and then the App for your phone, it sync up in bluetooth and you can pull codes, as well as see your performance indiciators live. It can even predict quarter mile times lol

I've used it on my old ford truck, wifes infinity, other friends acuras etc. all worked great
Old 01-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #28
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just saying at dealerships a lot more goes on than just scanning a code. fault data is recorded with freeze frame data, including counts and data pids at the time of fault. a general scanner will probably only pick up the universal code, but an oem dealer tool will pick up much more. This is my experience at a euro dealership.

The fault is taken through a test plan and analyzed from the tester, the old days of following a flow chart on paper are gone now. its all done electronically, and most of the time the technician is guided through using the software (sometimes the software actually condemns the faulty component as soon as the test plan begins). This process has to be followed if this is a warranty repair-- we are paid by how long we spent looking at each screen performing checks. Sometimes we are audited. Often we will perform continuity checks, short checks, scoping communication lines, which often involve re/re of components. if this cant be done in the 1hr, more time needs to be authorized.

The techs at the dealer probably are the most familiar with your vehicle. It just comes with experience of working on the same cars over and over again -- in turn they are more efficient. Yes, its true sometimes the diagnosis is done in less than 10 minutes, but at the dealer if a mistake is made during diagnosis you can sure bet they will be on the hook for it.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
I love how people shit on the dealer but when there's a problem that they,and then multiple independent shops couldn't figure out, guess who they call.

The dealer can't say "well i think you should bring this one to the dealer".
They're the end of the line. They have no choice but to resolve your issue.

They do have the ability to contact engineering though. But in my experience, it's very hit or miss with them. Mainly because they're helping you from thousands of miles away.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #30
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
im not sure of the brand but my dad bought one for himself and me which is a wireless bluetooth OBD reader/performance monitor
Probably an ELM327. I get them for $7 shipped from dx.com, they usually come with a pirated copy of Torque too (though it's only $10 or so). I think even the free version can read codes, the full one is nice because I can check all kinds of readings (temps, pressures, O2 readings, etc) and see if anything is out of wack.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

yup not cheap, and the way I see it, its just going to get more expensive with all the lovely techs we have in the car now a days.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
just as a couple examples; Dealerships need to obtain all manufacturer specific tools and equipment. Which is very costly. They also send their techs for training updates regularly to keep up to date with the product.
There's usually a lot more overhead involved with the dealer. However, the trade off is that you're getting service provided by someone who knows the vehicle well. Or at least should.
i'm not saying overhead is cheap, nor do I doubt some equipments can be pricey

but the OP drives an 8 year-old honda

can be tackled with the most basic toolset
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #33
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
Here's a minor oil change at Ferrari Maserati Vancouver.

You should feel better now.

Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Here's a minor oil change at Ferrari Maserati Vancouver.

You should feel better now.

u didnt go to the richmond one

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If a Maserati oil change cost 900 can't imagine what a ferrari would cost
Whatheshrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i'm not saying overhead is cheap, nor do I doubt some equipments can be pricey

but the OP drives an 8 year-old honda

can be tackled with the most basic toolset
That is true for sure. And i agree. Not all issues/vehicles warrant spending the extra coin. But then, the op was the one who called them.

Tbh, most people i see who bring their vehicles in for service either bought it there, and like that everything is in the database, know the advisors, or they've brought it somewhere else and their issue wasn't resolved.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
u didnt go to the richmond one
They ain't open yet. All the customers are complaining the service center looks like a piece of shit and refuses to go there until they modernize it. Hahaha.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatheshrek View Post
If a Maserati oil change cost 900 can't imagine what a ferrari would cost
The same. Same engine, same labour, same parts (at least it's the same with my GT.. not that piece of shit Ghibli or that Maserati jeep).
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #39
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
For what it's worth the last time I paid for the CEL diagnostics they fixed the issue as part of the 1 hour charge.

Check CEL, clear CEL cleaned throttle body, idle re-learn.

If you could do it on your own, do it on your own. They're a business to make money, not friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
I really don't see how "it's robbery" when they have no idea what the cause of the MIL is at the point you're calling in.

Rates usually reflect the amount of overhead a shop incurs. That's dealership and independent alike.
just as a couple examples; Dealerships need to obtain all manufacturer specific tools and equipment. Which is very costly. They also send their techs for training updates regularly to keep up to date with the product.
There's usually a lot more overhead involved with the dealer. However, the trade off is that you're getting service provided by someone who knows the vehicle well. Or at least should.
Nor do they have any idea before coming up with a $140 charge. It could easily just be the wire or whatever. Until they know what it is, they shouldn't just charge you up the ass.

I mean, I'm not saying I don't want to pay the tech for doing their job, but they should price customers reasonably.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #41
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Nor do they have any idea before coming up with a $140 charge. It could easily just be the wire or whatever. Until they know what it is, they shouldn't just charge you up the ass.

I mean, I'm not saying I don't want to pay the tech for doing their job, but they should price customers reasonably.
Quote:

Thats why after diagnostics, they will only charge you for a wire to fix your issue. But that doesn't mean they don't spend $140 of work or (1 hour) to figure out it is just the wire that needs to be replaced.

On the flip side if dealers didn't charge you for diagnostic, You can go see them, get a free diagonstic and then decline all work and go to joe blow mechanic and get the work the dealer told you to do. What's in it for the dealer? They spent an hour doing work figuring out your wire broke, they didn't make any money and they still have to pay the tech, pay off the computer/equipment they are financing to do diagonstics, the service advisor you talked to, the lot guy that moved and washed your car, the free coffee you grabbed and whatever electricity it used to keep the lights and heat on.

The way I see it is if I was sick, I could google my symptoms and see that I have cancer, or I can go see a real doctor and find out I have the flu.

No different then you googling issues with your car and going to Lordco to buy parts and hope that it fixes it.

There is a reason that people get trained to be doctors, techs, mechanics etc.

I wouldn't expect to know what field you studied in so I don't expect to know what they got trained for either.

At the end of the day, its your car, if you want to roll the dice on if its fixed properly then I think its fine.

Don't need to make a thread about it.
Leung_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #42

Quote:

an hour minimum is charging up the ass?
sounds pretty standard for most businesses offering a service
-Norm Franz
Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #43
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Dang.... $904.

Free on BMW for first four years

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leung_Dog View Post
Thats why after diagnostics, they will only charge you for a wire to fix your issue. But that doesn't mean they don't spend $140 of work or (1 hour) to figure out it is just the wire that needs to be replaced.
My total came out to be ~$455 to replace the wire, and all the diagnostics was exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post. Here is the breakdown of my cost.

$82 went into verifying CEL and code to be exactly what my ODB reader indicated. (this cost wasn't mentioned at all)
$274 to replace the knock sensor short cord and reset the light (I assume the diagnostic fee went into this)
$13.66 sub cord(?)
$36.88 for shop supplies
$48.50 tax

I sat in the lounge from 9:00 AM to nearly 12 PM. If you ask me, who have almost zero knowledge in car repairs or whatnot, does it take 3 hours to replace a knock sensor wire? I would say no.

Quote:
On the flip side if dealers didn't charge you for diagnostic, You can go see them, get a free diagonstic and then decline all work and go to joe blow mechanic and get the work the dealer told you to do. What's in it for the dealer? They spent an hour doing work figuring out your wire broke, they didn't make any money and they still have to pay the tech, pay off the computer/equipment they are financing to do diagonstics, the service advisor you talked to, the lot guy that moved and washed your car, the free coffee you grabbed and whatever electricity it used to keep the lights and heat on.
You can point out all the stuff that they might have to pay off but it does not say that on the receipt. When dealing business with customers, these have to be transparent. Why do you think cellphone companies was forced to be as detailed as possible when it comes to billing customers?

This is an issue with reasonable versus unreasonable. Imagine every time you walked into the supermarket, you have to pay an entrance fee of $20. To use the cart, $10 no refund. To use the basket, $5. Checking out with the cashier, $20 processing fee. Self checkout $20 administration fee. Anyone would complain.

In my case, I'm sure a shit ton of people agree that it is unreasonable.

Quote:
Don't need to make a thread about it.
Because it's revscene and you don't start a topic unless the community approves it right?

Quote:
an hour minimum is charging up the ass?
sounds pretty standard for most businesses offering a service
If that's what it is, then they should say it. Not just "diagnostic fee" and leaving the customer suspecting that they just wanna grab the cash outta your wallet. When they state diagnostic fee, and I have an idea how long it takes to diagnose a chewed sensor cord, I feel ripped off. If they just say, we charge 1 hour minimum for any service, then it feels different and an ease of comfort when I bring my car there to service.

Not sure if you are honestly backing up businesses that aren't transparent or just want to troll.

Last edited by mr_chin; 01-22-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #45
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Just curious, which dealer was this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
If you ask me, who have almost zero knowledge in car repairs or whatnot, does it take 3 hours to replace a knock sensor wire? I would say no.
Depends entirely on how the car is set up, and how thorough they were with testing. On some that wire might be easy to get to, on others it might be completely inaccessible. If they test drove it after and got it fully up to temp to ensure the problem was corrected that alone could chew up an hour.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #47
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

[QUOTE=mr_chin;8936863]My total came out to be ~$455 to replace the wire, and all the diagnostics was exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post. Here is the breakdown of my cost.

$82 went into verifying CEL and code to be exactly what my ODB reader indicated. (this cost wasn't mentioned at all)
$274 to replace the knock sensor short cord and reset the light (I assume the diagnostic fee went into this)
$13.66 sub cord(?)
$36.88 for shop supplies
$48.50 tax

$82 looks like the diagnosis fee
$274 is the labour to install the knock sensor cord? V6 Accord I'm assuming the intake manifold needs to come off. Because they are usually located as close to the engine block as possible. You know to detect knocks.
Its not like you're replacing an oil dipstick that's in plain sight
$13.66 sub cord- looks like a part that needed to bs replaced? Or the actual chewed cord.
$36.88 - I agree this should be itemized. Whether it's a bolt, fluids etc...
$48.50 - well no one can escape taxes.

I sat in the lounge from 9:00 AM to nearly 12 PM. If you ask me, who have almost zero knowledge in car repairs or whatnot, does it take 3 hours to replace a knock sensor wire? I would say no.

You're not knowledgeable in car repairs yet you say it shouldn't take 3 hours?!?!?!
Try doing it next time. Hopefully you drop something in the intake port so you can try to fish out for 3 hours
blackGS? is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Depends entirely on how the car is set up, and how thorough they were with testing. On some that wire might be easy to get to, on others it might be completely inaccessible. If they test drove it after and got it fully up to temp to ensure the problem was corrected that alone could chew up an hour.
Didn't test drove it much because I log my kms every time before handing in the keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackGS? View Post
You're not knowledgeable in car repairs yet you say it shouldn't take 3 hours?!?!?!
Try doing it next time. Hopefully you drop something in the intake port so you can try to fish out for 3 hours
Are you saying that it's okay to charge extra for their mistakes?

If a plumber come to fix your toilet, breaks a pipe and floods your bathroom, do you pay for their time to fix it?

If a painter comes to paint your house, painted the wrong panel, do you pay for their to time to fix it?

Do you own a business? I'll make sure to never pay for your service with that kind of mentality. Seriously, if you are paying for services because of their mistakes, you're an idiot.

Last edited by mr_chin; 01-22-2019 at 07:36 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #49
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Quote:
If you ask me, who have almost zero knowledge in car repairs or whatnot, does it take 3 hours to replace a knock sensor wire? I would say no.
1) We didn't
2) Your lack of mechanical knowledge is pretty obvious
3) I already explained where it is and why it takes so long
4) You would be wrong
Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #50
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

3 hours to replace a knock sensor cable is completely fine.

$82 to scan a code for you, check tsbs, confirm repair, grab a quote and availability on parts?
That's a discount, sounds like .6 only

1 to 1.5 hour to Re & in intake manifold.
.8 - 1 hour to repair wire. (give or take; each dealership charges differently).
Looking close to 2 hours of labor there @ $140/hr .. That's close to your $274.

Probably takes .3 to repair the wire anyways, but why would someone charge .3 to repair a wire?