REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #51
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Didn't test drove it much because I log my kms every time before handing in the keys.

Are you saying that it's okay to charge extra for their mistakes?

If a plumber come to fix your toilet, breaks a pipe and floods your bathroom, do you pay for their time to fix it?

If a painter comes to paint your house, painted the wrong panel, do you pay for their to time to fix it?

Do you own a business? I'll make sure to never pay for your service with that kind of mentality. Seriously, if you are paying for services because of their mistakes, you're an idiot.
Just curious, what "mistakes" did this Honda dealer make?
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
reminds me of a client the other day who said they shopped 7 different places beforehand, and none had matched up to his expectations back in Victoria

doesn't want us to transfer documents over because 'just testing waters'

appointment goes well

sees the bill and says never paid this much before, explained he was billed exactly for the full hour of chair time according to the fee guide

still leaves visibly upset, lol
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
reminds me of a client the other day who said they shopped 7 different places beforehand, and none had matched up to his expectations back in Victoria

appointment goes well

sees the bill and says never paid this much before, explained he was billed exactly for the full hour of chair time according to the fee guide

Some people will just never be satisfied no matter what you do. Sad world we live in that people like this get rewarded when they complain while the quiet respectful one paying up get nothing extra in return

Quote:
My total came out to be ~$455 to replace the wire, and all the diagnostics was exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post. Here is the breakdown of my cost.

$82 went into verifying CEL and code to be exactly what my ODB reader indicated. (this cost wasn't mentioned at all)
$274 to replace the knock sensor short cord and reset the light (I assume the diagnostic fee went into this)
$13.66 sub cord(?)
$36.88 for shop supplies
$48.50 tax

I sat in the lounge from 9:00 AM to nearly 12 PM. If you ask me, who have almost zero knowledge in car repairs or whatnot, does it take 3 hours to replace a knock sensor wire? I would say no.

You can point out all the stuff that they might have to pay off but it does not say that on the receipt. When dealing business with customers, these have to be transparent. Why do you think cellphone companies was forced to be as detailed as possible when it comes to billing customers?

This is an issue with reasonable versus unreasonable. Imagine every time you walked into the supermarket, you have to pay an entrance fee of $20. To use the cart, $10 no refund. To use the basket, $5. Checking out with the cashier, $20 processing fee. Self checkout $20 administration fee. Anyone would complain.

In my case, I'm sure a shit ton of people agree that it is unreasonable.

Because it's revscene and you don't start a topic unless the community approves it right?

If that's what it is, then they should say it. Not just "diagnostic fee" and leaving the customer suspecting that they just wanna grab the cash outta your wallet. When they state diagnostic fee, and I have an idea how long it takes to diagnose a chewed sensor cord, I feel ripped off. If they just say, we charge 1 hour minimum for any service, then it feels different and an ease of comfort when I bring my car there to service.

Not sure if you are honestly backing up businesses that aren't transparent or just want to troll.
Sub cord is a replacement harness. wire was not repaired, instead replaced
3hrs is very reasonable for this repair. Assuming OP was at a dealership, you aren't the only person there for maintenance/repairs. It takes time for processing of work order, then you wait your turn for vehicle to actually get driven into shop and worked on.
You must remove intake plenum and intake manifolds to get access to wire, so yes it does take time to just replace this wire.

Also OP does not understand technicians often work flat rate. Experienced tech repairs a job that charges 3 hours in 2, you still pay 3. takes 4hrs, you still pay 3. Why should the tech get paid less for same amount of work when it took him years of experience to get to where he is.
Experience also leads to quicker diagnostics. Why would he take a pay cut on the same job. I've seen people go to average small shops and end up paying way more because they didnt have the experience and ended up taking forever to diagnose and replace way more then necessary.

Last edited by Peturbo; 01-23-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Peturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #54
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
If a plumber come to fix your toilet, breaks a pipe and floods your bathroom, do you pay for their time to fix it?

If a painter comes to paint your house, painted the wrong panel, do you pay for their to time to fix it?
The same can be said about why the diag fee exists in the first place.

If your obd reader diagnoses a code, and you (the "technician" of your own diagnosis) told them to fix the wrong thing, do you pay the dealership for wasting their time?
If you buy your own pipes and tell a plumber to fix your problem, and it still leaks, are you not going to pay the plumber for their time?
If you buy your own paint and tell a painter what to paint, but you accidentally told him the wrong panel, are you not going to pay the painter for their time?

I'd love to watch you attempt to remove an air box/pipe, intake plenum, throttle body, coolant lines to tb, intake manifold, vacuum up the droppings (this isn't required, but i have never seen a tech continue working with droppings all over the place), dispose of possible dead rat, install all the parts back, top up coolant, run car, clear codes, test drive, write up a report, send car to wash, all in 3 hours.

$82 is dirt cheap for the diag fee, half off almost.
$274 is 2 hours it seems. which is even less than what i expected.
$13.66 for the subcord, reasonable
The only thing that's questionable (but still reasonable) is the shop supplies. It looks like a 10% charge (82+274+13.66 = 369.66) /10 = ~$36.88 but I can't be too sure of this. I think every shop does this, a certain percentage of the bill.
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #55
I STILL don't get it

^ My thoughts exactly. The op continues to bitch about it being a rip off. Fix it yourself if you think it is so easy and not worth paying someone for their time. The problem lays in the fact op doesn't seem to value anyone else's time other than his own. Op is selfish. Complains about his car being in and out in 3 hours for something he doesn't seem to fully understand is not a 10 minute fix. He then continues to bitch about how paying someone at a normal reasonable rate is a rip off. Let me ask you OP, what do you do for a living? Whatever your answer is, you make to much and I want you to work for far less.

What I find interesting is that the OP bitched about the $140 code read, goes out and claims he bought a reader and did it in 30 seconds yet he still went ahead and had the shop do the work? Why wouldn't you just do the work yourself since you seem to know the exact issue?

Last edited by prudz; 01-23-2019 at 02:46 PM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #56
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 01-24-2019 at 06:19 AM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #57

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Just curious, what "mistakes" did this Honda dealer make?
Just curious, do you always take things out of context and start a new topic on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

appointment goes well

Funny thing was, the reception even agreed that the $140 was robbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peturbo View Post
Some people will just never be satisfied no matter what you do. Sad world we live in that people like this get rewarded when they complain while the quiet respectful one paying up get nothing extra in return

Sub cord is a replacement harness. wire was not repaired, instead replaced
3hrs is very reasonable for this repair. Assuming OP was at a dealership, you aren't the only person there for maintenance/repairs. It takes time for processing of work order, then you wait your turn for vehicle to actually get driven into shop and worked on.
You must remove intake plenum and intake manifolds to get access to wire, so yes it does take time to just replace this wire.

Also OP does not understand technicians often work flat rate. Experienced tech repairs a job that charges 3 hours in 2, you still pay 3. takes 4hrs, you still pay 3. Why should the tech get paid less for same amount of work when it took him years of experience to get to where he is.
Experience also leads to quicker diagnostics. Why would he take a pay cut on the same job. I've seen people go to average small shops and end up paying way more because they didnt have the experience and ended up taking forever to diagnose and replace way more then necessary.
1. Processing of orders and waiting for your vehicle to get driven into should not be part of any charges.
2. It's not easy to tell if the parts in your car have been removed and put back on, and I always check. In my case, the intake didn't get removed. The bolts were untouched. Nothing around the intake or the engine was touched. No signs of any marking at all and dust were still perfectly laid out. I assume they raised the car and worked from underneath as the sensor is beneath the intake manifold.
3. I guess you're right. If I was a plumber and I see a job that takes 3 hours and I could finish in 1, why would I fix it in 1 and charge for 1 right? (sarcasm btw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrax View Post
The same can be said about why the diag fee exists in the first place.

If your obd reader diagnoses a code, and you (the "technician" of your own diagnosis) told them to fix the wrong thing, do you pay the dealership for wasting their time?
If you buy your own pipes and tell a plumber to fix your problem, and it still leaks, are you not going to pay the plumber for their time?
If you buy your own paint and tell a painter what to paint, but you accidentally told him the wrong panel, are you not going to pay the painter for their time?

I'd love to watch you attempt to remove an air box/pipe, intake plenum, throttle body, coolant lines to tb, intake manifold, vacuum up the droppings (this isn't required, but i have never seen a tech continue working with droppings all over the place), dispose of possible dead rat, install all the parts back, top up coolant, run car, clear codes, test drive, write up a report, send car to wash, all in 3 hours.

$82 is dirt cheap for the diag fee, half off almost.
$274 is 2 hours it seems. which is even less than what i expected.
$13.66 for the subcord, reasonable
The only thing that's questionable (but still reasonable) is the shop supplies. It looks like a 10% charge (82+274+13.66 = 369.66) /10 = ~$36.88 but I can't be too sure of this. I think every shop does this, a certain percentage of the bill.
The thing is, I didn't buy the parts and told Honda to fix it. The other reader said that they should charge for circumstances where they drop things and try to fish it out? Let's leave it to whatever he meant and not try to interpreted it yourself.

Why did you even assume they did those things you mentioned? They didn't.

See, if the diag fee was cut in half because I serviced with them, then that leaves the customer with a peace of mind that they're not getting ripped off. $82 vs $140 is a big difference. I was told I would be charged $140 for diag fee before bringing it in and started this topic. If I knew it would be reduced, that would have been a different story. But was it reduced? Or it went into the $274? Nobody knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
^ My thoughts exactly. The op continues to bitch about it being a rip off. Fix it yourself if you think it is so easy and not worth paying someone for their time. The problem lays in the fact op doesn't seem to value anyone else's time other than his own. Op is selfish. Complains about his car being in and out in 3 hours for something he doesn't seem to fully understand is not a 10 minute fix. He then continues to bitch about how paying someone at a normal reasonable rate is a rip off. Let me ask you OP, what do you do for a living? Whatever your answer is, you make to much and I want you to work for far less.

What I find interesting is that the OP bitched about the $140 code read, goes out and claims he bought a reader and did it in 30 seconds yet he still went ahead and had the shop do the work? Why wouldn't you just do the work yourself since you seem to know the exact issue?
Honestly ask yourself and not for the sake of this topic and who's right and wrong or what not. Do you think $140 for diagnostic fee is reasonable? Think about it for a second, what you imagine really happens in that 1 hour of diagnostic.

Claim I bought an ODB reader? Do you often read things that are not there?

If you have a leaking tire, and confirm that there is a leak (in any method you wish to use), do you replace the tire yourself?
If you got infected with a STD (I hope to god you didn't), confirmed it that it was a STD, do you cure it yourself?
If your computer constantly give you an error code, confirmed online what the error is, do you fix it yourself?

You see where I'm going with this right?
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #58
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Just curious, do you always take things out of context and start a new topic on it?
Lol between you and me, you're the one who's been taking things out of context in this thread. I simply asked a question and you responded by being defensive about it.

1. Processing of orders and waiting for your vehicle to get driven into should not be part of any charges.
No one said anything about processing paperwork, waiting for vehicle to be worked on, washed, etc being part of the charge. It was part of the 3 hour wait
2. It's not easy to tell if the parts in your car have been removed and put back on, and I always check. In my case, the intake didn't get removed. The bolts were untouched. Nothing around the intake or the engine was touched. No signs of any marking at all and dust were still perfectly laid out. I assume they raised the car and worked from underneath as the sensor is beneath the intake manifold.
I can tell you for a fact that they would not have worked on it from underneath. I used to work as a service advisor at a Honda dealership before and some techs were able to make time while others weren't. This particular technician may have found a way to be more efficient and may not have had to take the manifold off to replace the sensor + harness
3. I guess you're right. If I was a plumber and I see a job that takes 3 hours and I could finish in 1, why would I fix it in 1 and charge for 1 right? (sarcasm btw)
This is the trade industry, it's been like that forever and it's not going to change. It's not the tradesmans fault that they're able to find ways (I do admit that some people cut corners) to work more efficiently and finish a job under a quoted time

The thing is, I didn't buy the parts and told Honda to fix it. The other reader said that they should charge for circumstances where they drop things and try to fish it out? Let's leave it to whatever he meant and not try to interpreted it yourself.

See, if the diag fee was cut in half because I serviced with them, then that leaves the customer with a peace of mind that they're not getting ripped off. $82 vs $140 is a big difference. I was told I would be charged $140 for diag fee before bringing it in and started this topic. If I knew it would be reduced, that would have been a different story. But was it reduced? Or it went into the $274? Nobody knows.

Honestly ask yourself and not for the sake of this topic and who's right and wrong or what not. Do you think $140 for diagnostic fee is reasonable? Think about it for a second, what you imagine really happens in that 1 hour of diagnostic.
Yes it's reasonable. I used to work as a technician and we have to follow diagnostic procedures to determine what's causing the DTC to come on. I'd tell you more about it but you're so close minded about this whole thing.

If you have a leaking tire, and confirm that there is a leak (in any method you wish to use), do you replace the tire yourself?
If you got infected with a STD (I hope to god you didn't), confirmed it that it was a STD, do you cure it yourself?
If your computer constantly give you an error code, confirmed online what the error is, do you fix it yourself?

Since you sound like you know how businesses should be run and how to fix things "properly" then why did you even take it to the dealership in the first place? Seems like you came into this thread thinking you'd get sympathy and it backfired lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay

Last edited by mb_; 02-01-2019 at 08:45 AM.
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #59

Quote:

Nor does she know even remotely what it takes to diagnose the car.

I have personally done this repair several times before myself . I will tell you it is impossible to repair from underneath.

so lets say an inexperienced plumber takes 3 hours to do a repair that an experienced plumber would be able to do in 1hr. Are you still going to want to pay him 3 whole hours even though it someone else could've done it much faster? As you see, this can go both ways. That's why there is a standardized labour time for different jobs so people wont get "ripped off"

What he meant was that you're complaining now, but if you were to do it yourself and end up dropping stuff down the manifold, youre going to wish you just paid someone to do it for you.

1hr IMO is quite fair. Before you even arrived, how do they know it isn't like a code for P1457 or combination of several codes. Good luck getting that diagnosed within 1 hour.
It annoys me that people are the most unwilling to pay for diagnoses compared to normal service work. Because this is usually what separates a good technician vs average backyard mechanic (or even Mr.lube kid) doing fluid drain and fills.

Quote:
Since you sound like you know how businesses should be run and how to fix things "properly" then why did you even take it to the dealership in the first place? Seems like you came into this thread thinking you'd get sympathy and it backfired lol.

Last edited by Peturbo; 02-01-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Peturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #60

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:

Lol, we both know why you asked that question. Don't try to pretend it was just out of curiosity.

If you had read, my car got checked in 5 minutes after handing in the key, the labor was 2 hours. Got my car at noon. Try again with the wash your car bs as I have already mentioned in previous post that they did none of those service (cleaning droppings, vacuum car, washing, etc.)

Replacing the sensor from underneath or not, the fact is that they didn't do the things the other reader mentioned (taking off manifold, etc.) to eat up the 2 hours.

Sympathy on RS? You're joking right? I only come here to rant when I'm bored and want to start a debate because RS is so easily triggered with these posts. Hence you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peturbo View Post
Why did you quickly assume the reception is a she. It really tells what kind of mindset you have.

Refer to the bold line above.

Before I arrived, how do they know it's not just a simple 5 min. diagnostic? If it was a 5 min. diagnostic and they're still charging $140, isn't that robbery? Not sure how anyone with a conscience can agree that that is reasonable.

Last edited by mr_chin; 02-01-2019 at 09:36 PM.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #61
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Most shop charge minimum one hour if you approve the shop to do the diagnosis. If it take 5 mins, you get billed 1 hr. If it takes 1 hour, you get billed 1 hour. If it takes more than 1 hour, shop will seek your approval to continue. If you are a long time customer with the service adviser or service manager and they like you, they may give you a deal and cut that 1 hour down to 30 mins if it only took 5 mins.

If you diagnose the problem yourself and ask the shop to change parts only, it should be reflected and noted on the work order and bill. Whether the part you specified to change fixed the problem or not, the shop is not responsible for either. If additional parts and costs are needed to get to the part you need to change, the shop will get your approval before going ahead.

Parts replacement have set times associated with each job. If the allotted time is 3 hours and you approve 3 hours. Then you will be billed 3 hours. If the technician spends 5 mins, you get billed 3 hours. If the technician spends 4 hours, you get billed 3 hours.

Good, experienced, technicians find short cuts, make special tools, and find better ways to fix things. When you pay 3 hours for a job and it takes the technician 5 mins. You are not just paying for the physical labour aspect of the job, you are mostly paying for his knowledge, experience, special tools, creativity, skills, to complete the job efficiently.

This is how most shops operate. If you don't like it, fix it yourself. Or, just keep buying new cars and dump them before warranty ends.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #62
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
Most shop charge minimum one hour if you approve the shop to do the diagnosis. If it take 5 mins, you get billed 1 hr. If it takes 1 hour, you get billed 1 hour. If it takes more than 1 hour, shop will seek your approval to continue. If you are a long time customer with the service adviser or service manager and they like you, they may give you a deal and cut that 1 hour down to 30 mins if it only took 5 mins.

If you diagnose the problem yourself and ask the shop to change parts only, it should be reflected and noted on the work order and bill. Whether the part you specified to change fixed the problem or not, the shop is not responsible for either. If additional parts and costs are needed to get to the part you need to change, the shop will get your approval before going ahead.

Parts replacement have set times associated with each job. If the allotted time is 3 hours and you approve 3 hours. Then you will be billed 3 hours. If the technician spends 5 mins, you get billed 3 hours. If the technician spends 4 hours, you get billed 3 hours.

Good, experienced, technicians find short cuts, make special tools, and find better ways to fix things. When you pay 3 hours for a job and it takes the technician 5 mins. You are not just paying for the physical labour aspect of the job, you are mostly paying for his knowledge, experience, special tools, creativity, skills, to complete the job efficiently.

This is how most shops operate. If you don't like it, fix it yourself. Or, just keep buying new cars and dump them before warranty ends.
but bro my dentist charged me 300$ to do 2 fillings, i was in and out in 25mins ! 25mins for $300!!! How unfair!
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #63
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I guess stuff like this would be related per person and/or dealerships. Whenever I’ve taken my M3 to the few dealerships around for an issue they’ve never charged me diagnostic fee.
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #64
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

Quote:
My CEL came on and for the dealership to get the code, it costs $140. I got an OBD reader and got the code in 30 seconds.

This is straight up robbery. Anyone know a reputable mechanic that don't charge an arm and a leg?
Literally the first post of this stupid fucking thread. Learn to articulate better because this comes off as if you own/bought an OBD reader.

Last edited by prudz; 02-02-2019 at 08:27 AM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #65
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Fucking rekt.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #66
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
as much as i think OP should just diy if he believes the job is so straight forward, i think this practice is a problem

for us things are broken down into 15 minutes segments

so say it took 35 minutes...we'd invoice 2.5 segments...but that includes bringing it in and out, reviewing the notes, discussing the problem
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #67
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

Is your car fixed? Do you know how to fix it yourself? If you had to take it to someone else to fix it, you are not qualified to say "they didn't". You're ignoring everything that actually makes sense here to explain what you paid for because you've come up with your own conclusion and looking for things to support it.

100% they confirmed the issue quickly, so they dropped the 1 hour for diag to half an hour, but charged you for 2 hours of labour because that is likely how long it takes book time. Whether or not the tech could do it faster through alternative access into that spot is not your concern. If he learned another way that only takes 1 hour, you're paying for the acquired skill. You actually win out of this, same job gets done, but you get to drive off quicker.

but you know, you know how to run a shop...
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #68
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
this thread is fucking awful. OP repeatedly tries to justify his unreasonable objections and gripes to a community of car enthusiasts, many of who work in the industry, while being blatantly clear (by his thought process as well as his own words) that he has zero knowledge of anything to do with car repairs, yet somehow, he continues to argue with the people who do

just stop, man

Last edited by - kT; 02-04-2019 at 09:48 PM.
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 12:04 AM   #69
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
I think the reason most people feel like they're overcharged or scammed for work at dealerships is that techs/mechanics are still largely viewed as blue collar jobs but charging white collar prices for their work (as somebody compared it to visiting a lawyer/doctor).

I don't know how much a typical tech gets paid but I'd be surprised if it's less than $40/hr. This is quite a bit more than it was 30-40 years ago when cars were simpler and there was a lot less training required. On top of this, the profit margins for dealerships have likely increased dramatically since every new dealership seems like it has an extravagant showroom in a brand new state of the art building.

In short, people aren't prepared for the increased cost of fixing increasingly complex vehicles that require increasing amounts of training/software costs. Also dealerships are way fancier than they need to be.

Oh and parts are way too pricey these days too ($1000+ for a headlight on most euros??) I guess manufacturers realised they have a monopoly on pretty much everything in your car

Last edited by PiuYi; 02-05-2019 at 12:17 AM.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS

I think it has more to do with the massive skilled trades shortage. Any skilled trade like technician , plumber, electrician is charging a premium because there just isn’t anyone to do the work. It’s also exasperated by the rediculous cost of living in the GVRD.

It’s a good time to get into trades.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #71
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
Oh and parts are way too pricey these days too ($1000+ for a headlight on most euros??) I guess manufacturers realised they have a monopoly on pretty much everything in your car
$1,000 is cheap for a headlamp, most vehicles 2014+ that have xenon lights are now $2500+. $6000 for a headlight on a Q3.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #72
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
bump.

So I'm about to take my car in to a dealership tomorrow for an intermittent problem where my car would randomly shut itself off just once, during my 30min commute when I'm at a stop. But it's almost impossible to replicate given how unoften it happens.

I can describe it in more detail and I have the CEL codes, but my CEL also went away on it's own after a day (although the problem still exists).

I'm worried the tech will scan my car and not be able to find any issues and still slap on a hefty diagnostic fee. Is this a realistic scenario that could happen or am I paranoid?

I'm not familiar with bringing my car in to shops, especially dealerships, since I usually DIY, but this one is beyond me.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #73
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
What car is it?
It only happened once so far?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #74
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
What car is it?
It only happened once so far?
Fiesta ST.

It happened several times in total, since last week. I commute daily to work, approx 30 mins each way. So pretty much once each commute.
I'm not sure if it's a once/commute kind of thing, or if I drove for an hour, it would happen twice. I don't think there's anything specific that triggers it, other than it could suddenly happen if you're at a stop. The oil light goes on whenever it shuts off. After you turn the engine back on, then it's all good and the light goes away. I already checked my oil level and it's fine. The car itself drives fine.

I have a suspicion on what it might be, but I'm not 100% sure and would rather have a tech look at it, as long as he can pin point it and not return the car back without finding any issues cause it couldn't be replicated in front of him...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 03-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #75
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Did you google the CEL codes?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote