REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #76
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Maybe it's still under warranty
Advertisement
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #77
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Is it automatic? Ford has an issue on their DCTs. It might be part of a recall. However, I don't remember if it shuts the car off or if it just stays in one gear and doesn't upshift though.

When I had a Mazda3 courtesy car, it did that to me as well. I'd be going slowly towards a red light and the engine shut off all of a sudden before I came to a complete stop. Told service guy but he said he never heard of it, but I read all about that happening on Mazda 3's (1st gen) back then where it will sometimes stall as you are coming to a stop.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #78
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Did you google the CEL codes?
Yes. P1450, P2196, P0131 (different codes showing up individually over a period of a week, cause I clear codes to see if they come back incase of false alarms)
If I give the tech my codes, would that be helpful to them? Especially in the case if the codes don't show up for some reason, or if they can't replicate the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Is it automatic? Ford has an issue on their DCTs. It might be part of a recall. However, I don't remember if it shuts the car off or if it just stays in one gear and doesn't upshift though.

When I had a Mazda3 courtesy car, it did that to me as well. I'd be going slowly towards a red light and the engine shut off all of a sudden before I came to a complete stop. Told service guy but he said he never heard of it, but I read all about that happening on Mazda 3's (1st gen) back then where it will sometimes stall as you are coming to a stop.

Focus' had a recall with a faulty canister purge valve. Most likely the same issue but the Fiesta got left out on that recall. (SOL.)
I'm not sure if this issue is the source and related/causing the other codes that are related to the O2 issues. The EVAP issue should be pretty well known for this car which is why I will assume the Ford techs will be more familiar about it rather than a private shop.

My car's manual, but your scenario doesn't sound too far from what I'm experiencing, especially the "stopping toward a red light" part.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 03-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #79
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
My guess is the purge valve, based on what I found on Google.

If you've cleared the codes, yes I would give the codes to the dealership when you drop it off. That will help them diagnose the issue. If you haven't cleared the codes, don't worry, they will likely run a diagnostic scan and find them stored in memory.

I don't think you have to worry about them not being able to replicate the issue. As long as you explain it properly, letting them know it happens frequently, and then let them know you pulled some codes, they will almost certainly attempt some kind of repair based on the symptoms you describe.

The hope is whatever they do will solve the problem, otherwise you'll have to return for more investigation and more costs.

For something like this, there is also no need to go to a dealership. Any good shop (like Speed Syndicate) can handle this type of thing just as well.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #80
Banned (ABWS)?

Do you know if something like this would be under Bumper to bumper or powertrain if I had warranty?

Not sure if any chance I can get this covered by warranty, I've passed my bumper-to-bumper, but I still got my powertrain.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #81
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Unlikely this will be covered by your powertrain warranty. Powertrain is your internal engine components and transmission, generally. If you had bumper to bumper still, then yes it would be covered most likely.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #82
Banned (ABWS)?

yeah, faulty purge valve assembly. I was 99% sure but oh well.
$180 for diagnose.
30min job + part

~$350.

I kept telling everyone including myself this will be a $1k repair.
Now I don't feel too upset.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #83
Banned (ABWS)?

I just read up about this:

Does this apply to me in anyway? Or is this a USA thing?
My diagnose was a faulty "Canister purge valve assembly".

Quote:
Federal Emission Controls: Warranty coverage is federally required and comes in two parts: a performance warranty and a design-and-defect warranty. The performance warranty covers repairs for two years or 24,000 miles to ensure that the vehicle passes emission testing. However, some automakers, such as Toyota, cover those same parts under their bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage for a longer period. Major emission-control components are covered for up to eight years or 80,000 miles. Components included in this coverage are the catalytic converters, electronic emission-control units or computers, and onboard emissions diagnostic devices. As this is federal law, you can expect it to be uniform across all makes and models.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...elling-points/