REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Ethiopian Airlines crash kills all 157 on board, 18 Canadians (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715939-ethiopian-airlines-crash-kills-all-157-board-18-canadians.html)

PeanutButter 03-10-2019 03:45 PM

Ethiopian Airlines crash kills all 157 on board, 18 Canadians

Quote:

An Ethiopian Airlines jet has crashed shortly after take-off from Addis Ababa, killing all on board.

The airline said 149 passengers and eight crew members were on flight ET302 from the Ethiopian capital to Nairobi in Kenya.

It said 32 Kenyans, 18 Canadians, eight Americans and seven British nationals were among the passengers.

The crash happened at 08:44 local time, six minutes after the months-old Boeing 737 Max-8 took off.

Another plane of the same model was involved in a crash less than five months ago, when a Lion Air flight crashed into the sea near Indonesia with nearly 190 people on board.

The cause of the disaster is not yet clear. However, the pilot had reported difficulties and had asked to return to Addis Ababa, the airline said.

"At this stage, we cannot rule out anything," Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam told reporters at Bole International Airport in Addis Ababa.

"We cannot also attribute the cause to anything because we will have to comply with the international regulation to wait for the investigation."

From very light reading there seems to be issues with the Boeing 737 Max aircraft. I wouldn't want to fly on any of those until they figure out those problems
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/w...x-8-crash.html

Quote:

The plane, a Boeing 737 Max 8, was the same model that crashed in Indonesia in October, killing 189 people.

In both cases, brand-new planes faltered minutes after takeoff and plunged into a deadly descent, leaving no survivors.

Infiniti 03-10-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

From very light reading there seems to be issues with the Boeing 737 Max aircraft. I wouldn't want to fly on any of those until they figure out those problems
Thats a big leap..Based on the data that's currently available (which is barely anything - oh, and FR24 data is unreliable) there is absolutely nothing that links this accident with the Lion Air accident that happened a few months ago other than the fact they were both Boeing 737MAX aircrafts.

Hondaracer 03-10-2019 04:45 PM

and that they both crashed in almost an identical manner.. although most crashes happen in the first 5 minutes regardless i believe.

SkinnyPupp 03-10-2019 05:32 PM

That's two complete failures of the 737 Max, and it's only been in service for 2 years. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but IMO they should ground them to make sure.

iwantaskyline 03-10-2019 06:29 PM

^Already starting to happen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tter-australia

GabAlmighty 03-10-2019 06:37 PM

Here come the armchair pilots!

Please, educate me on airplanes.

Gumby 03-10-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8942221)
That's two complete failures of the 737 Max, and it's only been in service for 2 years. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but IMO they should ground them to make sure.

I agree - same model and incident for a relatively young plane? The scary part is that I flew on a 736 max in November last year, not too long after the October incident.

SkinnyPupp 03-10-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8942224)
Here come the armchair pilots!

Please, educate me on airplanes.

Yeah maybe once we reach 1000 deaths we can start to consider the possibility that isn't a coincidence...

GabAlmighty 03-10-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8942226)
Yeah maybe once we reach 1000 deaths we can start to consider the possibility that isn't a coincidence...

2 King Air's crashed in the span of a week last month. Guess we should ground all King Air's?

Hehe 03-10-2019 07:54 PM

Fuck... I have a flight in the summers involving 737 Max 8. Hope they find out what's wrong with it before that or AC better let me change the flight for free.

I mean, there's no fucking way I'd get on one of these with kids.

It could totally be a coincidence, but seriously, in the aircraft business, where "accidents" is the lowest of any form of transportation, having 2 of the latest, newly introduced aircraft to go down within 6mth frame... it's going to be a hard sell to me.

SkinnyPupp 03-10-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8942227)
2 King Air's crashed in the span of a week last month. Guess we should ground all King Air's?

King Airs have been around for decades, why would you ground them after two crashed? :seriously:

GabAlmighty 03-10-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8942231)
King Airs have been around for decades, why would you ground them after two crashed? :seriously:

Fair, I know my statement didn't hold much water haha.

Facts are we have no idea what happened, all we have is speculation as to what happened. So to jump to conclusions based on speculations, no matter how coincidental, is a dangerous thing in my opinion.

Unfortunately it will take a few years for the full reports to come out on the accidents.

SkinnyPupp 03-10-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8942232)
Fair, I know my statement didn't hold much water haha.

Facts are we have no idea what happened, all we have is speculation as to what happened. So to jump to conclusions based on speculations, no matter how coincidental, is a dangerous thing in my opinion.

Unfortunately it will take a few years for the full reports to come out on the accidents.

I don't think anyone here is jumping to conclusions. All we're saying is that a brand new aircraft going down twice rapidly right after introduction, there is the possibility that the incidents are due to a flaw in the design.

If they don't know what caused either crash yet, that means that the possibility still exists that there's a flaw. Since the possibility exists, we'd like to see them grounded until they rule it out. Barring that, I think airlines should allow passengers switch to other aircraft for free if they want.

Nobody is assuming that these craft are flawed. We're just saying that there's more than a 0% chance of that being the case, and people shouldn't be put at risk until it's known to be 0%.

Harvey Specter 03-10-2019 08:16 PM

I remember reading forums and blogs when the 737MAX was been rolled out about the engines been too powerful for a very old frame and Boeing had to do a lot of tweaking to the flying dynamics via software. Not saying this crash is related but it's interesting that people had concerns back then.

twitchyzero 03-10-2019 09:56 PM

surprised there were 18 Canadians on board

if there's a design fault, wouldn't there have been more incidents in the two years since first operational flight?

i remember quite a bit of hype around the 737m and how budget carriers will further pull away from long haul carriers in profits, so grounding them is gonna hurt big time financially

Mr.HappySilp 03-10-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8942221)

CHINA already ground all 737Max.

PeanutButter 03-10-2019 11:26 PM

There's a UN conference going on right now, I believe which may explain the Canadians?

Mr.HappySilp 03-10-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8942229)
Fuck... I have a flight in the summers involving 737 Max 8. Hope they find out what's wrong with it before that or AC better let me change the flight for free.

I mean, there's no fucking way I'd get on one of these with kids.

It could totally be a coincidence, but seriously, in the aircraft business, where "accidents" is the lowest of any form of transportation, having 2 of the latest, newly introduced aircraft to go down within 6mth frame... it's going to be a hard sell to me.

Unless you brought insurance for your flight so a detail report came out before your trips outlining it is the fault of the 737 Max I doubt you will get your flight change.

Gumby 03-11-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8942247)
Unless you brought insurance for your flight so a detail report came out before your trips outlining it is the fault of the 737 Max I doubt you will get your flight change.

Not to mention that the passenger picks the flight(time/route), and the airline picks the aircraft. It’s not like the airline has extra aircraft sitting around doing nothing that they can easily swap in...

Raid3n 03-11-2019 12:02 AM

i'm not 100% on the accuracy, but i saw something mentioned on reddit a bunch.

the new 737-800MAX had a MCAS (Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System) added to the avionics. from a quick skim, the new model had a change in engine design and placement causing the plane to gradually nose up. to counteract this, they added in the MCAS. they marketed the plane as being close enough in design to the previous model that no retraining would be needed and thus airlines could save on that expense and still get the increased efficiency. however they never mentioned the MCAS and did not train pilots on how the new system works.

essentially the MCAS uses sensors to sense the nose raising and will counteract it to prevent possible stalls. it seems there allegedly were issues with the sensors that calculate the angle of attack and cause the MCAS to incorrectly adjust for these.

if the sensor continued to say that the nose was high, and the MCAS was still trying to correct this by pushing the nose down, soon you're in a dive.

i seem to remember an episode of Mayday about a situation similar to this i think.. where the pilots were either flying at night or in a storm where they couldn't visually see the horizon, and the computer was telling them to pull up or something like that because the data it was getting was suggesting they were nose down and picking up speed or something like that.

if any of the allegations that boeing added in a system like that without even mentioning it are true... that could be disastrous for them..

twitchyzero 03-11-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8942248)
Not to mention that the passenger picks the flight(time/route), and the airline picks the aircraft

every time you book it states which plane they'll use

Mr.Money 03-11-2019 12:43 AM

china has the largest 737 Max fleet and have grounded every single one right now for safety reasons,the investigation could take up to years i heard on the current accidents to figure out what the issues are..if any.

lot of experts are coming in saying that a brand new platform for a plane recently come out and have 2 of them involved in an accident so fast is unheard of.

hud 91gt 03-11-2019 12:49 AM

Just spent the last 6 hours in a max over the ocean. Still alive.

RIP to the passengers and crew. I feel for the friends and families for those lost. It Will be a battle they deal with everyday for years to come.

DragonChi 03-11-2019 01:06 AM

RIP passengers

StylinRed 03-11-2019 05:25 AM

737 max two crashes, and I believe several scares (where pilots cut the flight short by doubling back or landing elsewhere), all in the same manner of it nose diving...say what you want, but I fly often, and Im avoiding them