REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #51
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
He didn’t have a point. He’s the ultimate peice of shit. Literally no one is worse than these people, somone who murders 40+ people in pre-meditated cold blood is far worse than the serial rapist who killed 4 teenage girls, the guy who killed 5 hookers, hell hes worse than willy pikton.

He isn’t bad however because he mentioned trump, or because he’s perceived as “conservative” or right wing.

The politicization of events like these literally defines the breakdown of society and any rational thinking/analysis of these events.

When you relate anything like this with an ideology you paint such large swatches of society with the same brush that OF COURSE people start thinking the same way. People are too fucking dumb not too.
I totally agree with you on not wanting to blanket actions with politicism. People bring up Trump far too often whenever they complain about things like extreme white supremacy and women's rights, etc.

However you have to admit that he has kind of become a defacto symbol of hate that is used by both sides. Other things have become these symbols, whether on purpose or otherwise.

The 'circle game' or 'ok sign' used to be an innocuous thing that people did without thinking twice about it. Then the racist trolls took at and made a meme that it actually means 'white power'. This of course led to 'the other side' looking for cases of people doing it, and trying to apply the symbol to them (some cases they might have an argument, in most cases they probably didn't).

The point is, these people took that symbol and turned it into a bomb that could be used by them both ways. "Oh look at htese crazy SJWs, they see people doing the OK sign and think it's racist. LOL here's a picture of Obama doing it. Your so dum lol"

And because they react, it continues and swells into an actual sign of hate, as we saw recently with this idiot.

Other things have gone this way too - pepe memes, the 'proud boys' name which started as a joke. You want to dismiss it, because a lot of times it actually is just kids and shitheads trying to be edgy. But eventually, it takes a life of its own. Meanings evolve and change over time, so get with it.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:07 PM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Hey Welfare thanks for failing me again. How are your mass shooting plans coming along?
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #53
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I totally agree with you on not wanting to blanket actions with politicism. People bring up Trump far too often whenever they complain about things like extreme white supremacy and women's rights, etc.

However you have to admit that he has kind of become a defacto symbol of hate that is used by both sides. Other things have become these symbols, whether on purpose or otherwise.

The 'circle game' or 'ok sign' used to be an innocuous thing that people did without thinking twice about it. Then the racist trolls took at and made a meme that it actually means 'white power'. This of course led to 'the other side' looking for cases of people doing it, and trying to apply the symbol to them (some cases they might have an argument, in most cases they probably didn't).

The point is, these people took that symbol and turned it into a bomb that could be used by them both ways. "Oh look at htese crazy SJWs, they see people doing the OK sign and think it's racist. LOL here's a picture of Obama doing it. Your so dum lol"

And because they react, it continues and swells into an actual sign of hate, as we saw recently with this idiot.

Other things have gone this way too - pepe memes, the 'proud boys' name which started as a joke. You want to dismiss it, because a lot of times it actually is just kids and shitheads trying to be edgy. But eventually, it takes a life of its own. Meanings evolve and change over time, so get with it.

The OK symbol was nothing more than an appeal to 4chan, the guy was basically a walking meme, he was blasting Initial D eurobeat as he was getting away and actually said "subscribe to Pewdiepie" ffs. One of his rifles had "this machine kills muslims (or immigrants iirc)" written on it, that's a play at Fallout New Vegas of all things. I wouldn't take much of what he does now very seriously.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
The OK symbol was nothing more than an appeal to 4chan, the guy was basically a walking meme, he was blasting Initial D eurobeat as he was getting away and actually said "subscribe to Pewdiepie" ffs. One of his rifles had "this machine kills muslims (or immigrants iirc)" written on it, that's a play at Fallout New Vegas of all things. I wouldn't take much of what he does now very seriously.
Thanks for proving my point
Old 03-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks for proving my point
The OK gesture is not a hate symbol, it's an OK gesture that means OK. Some memelords on a Mongolian knitting forum don't change that.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #56

Quote:
The OK gesture is not a hate symbol, it's an OK gesture that means OK. Some memelords on a Mongolian knitting forum don't change that.
Thanks again...

You can't just say "it's not a hate symbol, they are just geeks" when they go and kill 50 people
Old 03-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Thanks again...

You can't just say "it's not a hate symbol, they are just geeks" when they go and kill 50 people
I can, because hundreds of thousands of people (if not millions or billions) in history up until now have used it to signify "OK", and a single manlet doesn't change that because he was angry about his penis. That's a hell of a ratio, it's almost like the meaning it's held forever is still relevant.

Are you saying I'm a racist because I use it all the time? Because I do, and I don't give a shit if you think it means otherwise.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #58

Quote:
I can, because hundreds of thousands of people (if not millions or billions) in history up until now have used it to signify "OK", and a single manlet doesn't change that because he was angry about his penis. That's a hell of a ratio, it's almost like the meaning it's held forever is still relevant.

Are you saying I'm a racist because I use it all the time? Because I do, and I don't give a shit if you think it means otherwise.
It's not a single person. And it's not that it isn't ALSO and ORIGINALLY an "OK" sign.

But there is a culture of racism and hatred, and they're using symbols like that, the frog, trump, etc. That was the whole point of the post. That is where this dickbag comes from. He's not just some single crazy dude who came up with a brilliant idea on his own. He is part of a culture of hatred and racism. They're using shit like this to be able to 'get away with it'. They are literally trolling while at the same time going on killing sprees or other violent attacks, like running protesters over with cars.

And no, I am not calling you or Barack Obama a white supremacist for using the OK sign. You are literally falling for what they're doing by "taking" the symbol. It's actually pretty interesting to see this happening before my eyes.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #59

Quote:
It's not a single person. And it's not that it isn't ALSO and ORIGINALLY an "OK" sign.

But there is a culture of racism and hatred, and they're using symbols like that, the frog, trump, etc. That was the whole point of the post.

And no, I am not calling you or Barack Obama a white supremacist for using the OK sign.

You are literally falling for what they're doing by "taking" the symbol. It's actually pretty interesting to see this happening before my eyes.

If I was falling for what they're doing, I'd be agreeing with it being a hate symbol.

I reject the entire notion that it "may" have a dual purpose because doing so only serves to legitimize that idea. This is also why they are blurring out his face, publicly acknowledging subversive ideas and shitty people only popularizes them and legitimizes them.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 03-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #60

Quote:
If I was falling for what they're doing, I'd be agreeing with it being a hate symbol.

I reject the entire notion that it "may" have a dual purpose because doing so only serves to legitimize that idea. This is also why they are blurring out his face, publicly acknowledging subversive ideas and shitty people only popularizes them and legitimizes them.
No, by falling for what they're doing, you're passing off everything they do as "just kids being silly". When clearly it's not. "Oh look, he referenced video games lol". But there's actually a lot of racism ingrained into gaming culture as well.

As for what to do about it, I have no idea. But the first step is to just stop treating white terrorism as "just crazy kids being crazy" and not taking it as seriously as organized terrorism.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #61
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
No, by falling for what they're doing, you're passing off everything they do as "just kids being silly". When clearly it's not. "Oh look, he referenced video games" lol. But there's actually a lot of racism ingrained into gaming culture as well.

As for what to do about it, I have no idea. But the first step is to just stop treating white terrorism as "just crazy kids being crazy" and not taking it as seriously as organized terrorism.
It's the beginning of something very frightening. Organized terrorism that isn't formed in the traditional regional/country setting like the IRA, Al Qaeda or ISIS but in online communities.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
It's the beginning of something very frightening. Organized terrorism that isn't formed in the traditional regional/country setting like the IRA, Al Qaeda or ISIS but in online communities.
In fact it is probably organized the same way a lot of sects of 'organized' terrorism is... Anonymous message boards, spreading the hate and just piling on. One group might talk about religious infidelity when hating, while another group might be using memes and inside jokes to make their point.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2019, 02:21 AM   #63

Old 03-17-2019, 04:40 AM   #64
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
No, by falling for what they're doing, you're passing off everything they do as "just kids being silly". When clearly it's not. "Oh look, he referenced video games lol". But there's actually a lot of racism ingrained into gaming culture as well.

What would you consider ingrained racism in gaming culture and how does it translate to real acts of violence?

You have no idea how to deal with it, but you have first steps for dealing with it? Stop treating it at anything less than organised terrorism? What does that entail? What steps are you willing to take? What powers are you willling to give to get the results you are looking for? What rights are you willing to give up?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
What would you consider ingrained racism in gaming culture and how does it translate to real acts of violence?

You have no idea how to deal with it, but you have first steps for dealing with it? Stop treating it at anything less than organised terrorism? What does that entail? What steps are you willing to take? What powers are you willling to give to get the results you are looking for? What rights are you willing to give up?
How do we treat other "extremists" or otherwise potential terrorists?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #66

Quote:

The Swastika was used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions for thousands of years until the Nazi's took it as their own and since then it is recognized as a hate symbol.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #67
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Except it's backwards as a Buddhist symbol - the lines go in the other direction (Left facing vs right facing). There are some headstones at Mountainview Cemetery that has the Buddhist symbol on it. I imagine a lot of people who see it aren't impressed and can't see the difference, but the markers are still there.

Oddly enough, the Hindu version is the opposite. Anyway...............

god bless............
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 03-17-2019 at 08:14 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #68
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
The Swastika was used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions for thousands of years until the Nazi's took it as their own and since then it is recognized as a hate symbol.
A symbol adopted by a world super power determined to take over the world = 4 Chan memes

This shit is literally the definition of left wing craziness. Get somthing in your head and push it as hard as humanly possible until it makes sense to you and other likeminded people.

People that are far left are even worse than the right wing people these days because there is zero room for any sort of discussion or rational thinking

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #69

What's funny is that we're tying to have a discussion with rational thinking, and only a few people here are bringing up "left wing craziness"

Old 03-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #70

Quote:

A symbol adopted by a world super power determined to take over the world = 4 Chan memes

This shit is literally the definition of left wing craziness. Get somthing in your head and push it as hard as humanly possible until it makes sense to you and other likeminded people.

People that are far left are even worse than the right wing people these days because there is zero room for any sort of discussion or rational thinking
I was making a point about how the meaning of symbols can change and be interpreted differently from their original meaning. Which by the way is adding to the discussion. Anyone with half a brain can understand that.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #71

Quote:

The act of terrorism does not correlate with race at all, I'm not sure how you reached the conclusion that it did. Last time I checked, anyone from any background or reasoning could blow up a bus or kill 50 people.

4/8chan IS meme culture, so unless you're willing to never use as much as an emoji again and instruct your friends to do the same, you won't be accomplishing much. If the argument is that the needle in the haystack was spawned from 4/8chan, and subsequently 4/8chan must be taken seriously, then this board might as well remove every available meme from the emoji board. By that logic, using them only furthers the culture that the same online people you are referencing created to spawn this asshole.

If you aren't willing to do that, then you must not take that culture very seriously.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #72
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
A) it’s not even the same symbol.

B) were comparing a symbol adopted by an entire countries regime, virtually akin with the countries flag to an internet meme that was created for satire and to essentially trick people like you into getting your panties in a twist.

This would be nothing if it wasn’t churned up by the media into some symbol of hate all the while the people involved in getting it covered are probably laughing their asses off into how gullible/stupid the mainstream media is. It also goes to show that the majority of people who report these stories have absolutely no idea how “internet culture”

Imo the media is what turns it into the symbol people perceive it as, it’s not like people are going out and beating random Islamic people and then spray painting their faces and homes with the �� symbol. It would be -nothing- if the media didn’t create it.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #73

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1957063751235865

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/03...m-to-violence/

Quote:
CHILLIWACK (NEWS 1130) – An almost two-year-old video featuring a Chilliwack school trustee is being called racist and Islamophobic after resurfacing in the wake of New Zealand’s terrorist attack that left 50 people — the majority of them Muslims — dead.

In the over 20 minute long video titled “Allah & Yahweh: The Same God?” trustee Darrell Furgason links Islam to violence and says Muslims need to be “freed” from their religion. He also pits Christianity against Islam and says the two religions could never co-exist.

“In Islam there’s no real democracy, restricted freedom, limited rights. Christianity can produce a healthy democracy if the righteous are in authority,” Furgason says in part of the video.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #74

Quote:
A) it’s not even the same symbol.

Thank you Sherlock.

B) were comparing a symbol adopted by an entire countries regime, virtually akin with the countries flag to an internet meme that was created for satire and to essentially trick people like you into getting your panties in a twist.

Nobody said anything about the "OK" gesture being the equivalent of the Swastika. Don't get your panties twisted. The discussion was that white supremacists have taken that gesture and turned it into a sign to symbolize White Power. They took a harmless symbol and turned it into their own.

Does that mean nobody can use that gesture anymore? No. It's all up for context just like how a Buddhist temple can have the same Swastika symbol on their front door and not get in trouble for hate symbols.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #75

Exactly. I'm not saying that the OK sign is the new "nazi salute". But to some people it is. I'm not saying this guy is the symbol of white power, but to some people it is. The tiki torch is not a Nazi swastika, but to some people it is. And to my original point, I'm not saying Trump is Hitler. But to some people, he is.

And these people are organized, just not in the traditional way with a leader, etc. They are basically a non religious cult. They will do this shit to impress each other, and from that comes extremists like this guy.

"oh but they're just stupid meme lords, and this was just a crazy one"

Give me a fucking break.

btw I bet I can tell you who the Jordan Peterson fans are in here
This post thanked by: