REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:06 AM   #1051
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
impressive showing, i felt the enpowered. i could see lion rock from my home and damn. it was really cool. i ended up joining the event as i live right by one of the areas where hte line was made.

MTR today has shut access on the green line between the east kowloon section.. needless to say..this could be a new thing to stop these massive marches
Advertisement
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 01:19 AM   #1052
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Yup once beijing caught wind of the MTR offering the public a public service, despite being a public service owned by the public (government), intended to serve the public, they put a stop to it immediately. More importantly, MTR employees were questioning the tactics of the police (including but not limited to shoving protesters down escalators, firing tear gas illegally indoors, kettling people into MTR stations and shooting at them, shooting people point blank in the face with pepper pellets, etc, etc, etc)

Cathay got fucked, now MTR is getting fucked. Everyone is gettin the dry dick treatment from china.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #1053
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
well, guess the peaceful protests could only last so long

Quote:
The protesters on Saturday faced off with police for several hours outside a police station in Kwun Tong, having constructed barricades from bamboo poles and traffic barriers.

They demanded the removal of so-called smart lampposts that authorities say are there only to measure air quality, but protesters fear could be used to implement Chinese surveillance, including facial recognition technology.

The standoff came to an end after a hard core of protesters threw bricks and water bottles at police and officers responded by charging and beating some of the demonstrators with batons.

Several protesters were detained as officers swept through their ranks.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49457920
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
well, guess the peaceful protests could only last so long

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49457920
Here's the moment where things went violent - protesters were protesting, and cops charged at them, attempting to injure people with no prejudice. So they started throwing umbrellas, plastic bottles, and traffic cones as they tried to protect themselves while fleeing

Also police are still aiming at peoples' faces with rubber bullets

The violence is mostly going one way.

Also they took down one of the "smart lamp posts' and (allegedly) revealed the same type of monitoring hardware used in China (which, btw, plan on having one camera for every two members of their population by next year)
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #1055

Eh bbc said some protesters started using slingshots n rocks which caused the indiscriminate? charge

Quote:
Some protesters launched stones from slingshots, prompting police to charge.
Those that are getting violent, they have to know the police are going to just attack blindly, so wth is their goal? The riot police are asking for a reason, and they're giving it to them... There was like what a week? Where everyone played nicely, just maintain that
Old 08-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #1056
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Here's the moment where things went violent - protesters were protesting, and cops charged at them, attempting to injure people with no prejudice. So they started throwing umbrellas, plastic bottles, and traffic cones as they tried to protect themselves while fleeing
Protestors threw bricks and petrol bombs. Don’t make it sound like it’s self defence. There are some bad apples in the the protestor crowd and same goes with the police force.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #1057

I've been looking for footage of these slingshots and bricks... But despite reporting it, BBC isn't showing it for some reason. There are hundreds of not cameras there, where's the footage?
Old 08-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #1058

I can understand doubting The BBC, but it seems theyve been pretty fair throughout this whole ordeal, arguably biased towards the protesters even, and now Ur suggesting they're just fabricating shit against the protesters?.... Ehhhhh... Ehh

this is from an AFP article posted on coconuts

Quote:
Earlier thousands of demonstrators, many wearing hard hats and gas masks, marched through the industrial Kwun Tong area, where they were blocked by dozens of riot police with shields and batons outside a police station.

Frontline protesters — known as “braves” — pulled together a barricade of traffic barriers and bamboo construction poles. As the afternoon wore on some fired stones from slingshots, prompting a charge from police, wielding batons and pepper spray.

Tears gas swept across the road as protesters retreated, leaving a trail of broken bottles and at least one small fire in their wake.

But tension rippled across Saturday’s march, where a number of frontline radical demonstrators known as “braves” had gathered.

“I understand being peaceful will not solve the problem,” 19-year-old student protester Ryan told AFP, giving one name.

“The government won’t respond to peaceful protest. If I am arrested it is because I come out to speak for justice.”
https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/te...testers-clash/

Last edited by StylinRed; 08-24-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #1059
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
No police violence or presence during the last weekend's peaceful rally. No police presence of violence during the peaceful hand holding.

Surround a police station, throw stuff at the station. Cuts down a surveillance camera. Police response.

OMFG POLICE BRUTALITY!!!! POLICE ABUSING THEIR POWER!! BAD POLICE! GOOD PROESTORS!

Last edited by threezero; 08-24-2019 at 12:59 PM.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #1060
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
The Police seems to be trying their best to make a distinction between the

“和理非” and the “勇武派", the real peaceful protestor and the ones that wants to start a bloody revolution.

Those that are peacefully protesting are left along, those that are clearly looking for a confrontation is getting a confrontation.

It unfair to the peaceful protester to not make the distinction between two groups. Just like it is in unfair to expect the police to sit on their hands when you have people who are clearly looking instigate.

Many of these “勇武派" are film in interview at the front line that they don't think peace work and thus must escalate. Don't come crying when the escalation start and shit get real.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #1061
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,685 Times in 3,122 Posts
Meanwhile in richmond!

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/r...ers-1.23925267

FREEEE CREPE FOR MEEEEE. ill just go ahead and fail myself for this, but it was a pretty good crepe.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #1062
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ can we get all the homeless in Vancouver to go there and get free crepe?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ can we get all the homeless in Vancouver to go there and get free crepe?
The article says they're doing it again on the 31st, until 3pm, code is I Love Canada

Quote:
“We are all proud to be Canadian; we love Canada, and we hope to spread the love instead of hatred,” said Li.

Li added that Gao’s opinions didn’t represent the restaurant; he didn’t want the public to associate the business with politics.

To celebrate Richmond World Festival, Me+Crepe in Richmond plans to launch the “love Canada” event on Aug. 31.

Richmondites could be offered free crepes by using the secret password “I love Canada,” and the event is available from noon to 3:00 p.m.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #1064
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
local radio host resigns over support for thugs/police brutality

https://www.straight.com/news/129185...ry-about-white
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #1065
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

well cops used the closed mtr service to get to and from locations from riots yesterday
needless to say.. that kinda was the last straw for people yesterday. go to a legal march, cannot go home.

tear gased then shot in the fucking mall at kowloon bay(though outdoor area, it was "enclosed"..

apparently a lady was pepper sprayed and chased at richland gardens in kowloon bay as well.

Last night i heard pop pop pop a few times in wong tai sin...

another few got headshot

fuck hong kong police..
Old 08-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I can understand doubting The BBC, but it seems theyve been pretty fair throughout this whole ordeal, arguably biased towards the protesters even, and now Ur suggesting they're just fabricating shit against the protesters?.... Ehhhhh... Ehh

this is from an AFP article posted on coconuts

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/te...testers-clash/
No all I'm saying is I'd like to see the footage... Not saying it's not possible that some people flinged shit towards the cops, but how bad was it? Who did it? Was it a "radical protester" or was it a cop dressed as a protester?

I want to see what type of action it takes, that cause people like threezero to justify the police brutality we saw. What makes people like threezero make jokes about people getting injured by police?

I just want more information
Old 08-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #1067
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

tsuen wan to kwai fong closed
tsuen wan west closed

doesnt stop people from comin out
Old 08-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
tsuen wan to kwai fong closed
tsuen wan west closed

doesnt stop people from comin out
Nope it mostly just fucks up the public. Which is why they're doing this - try to get the public to go against protests more. If people are still willing to march in numbers of nearly 2 million, and still go out and put up 30 miles of human chains, the public is obviously still very in favor of the demands. The government is doing whatever they can to change that opinion (other than actually address the completely reasonable demands)
Old 08-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #1069

https://twitter.com/scmpnews/status/...760459776?s=21

Here’s a reporter from bbc I think.

https://twitter.com/stephenmcdonell/...112322051?s=21

https://twitter.com/nmgi2/status/116...069928960?s=21

https://twitter.com/shhcaa/status/11...314787840?s=21
Old 08-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #1070

Some of them are just as bad as the police, I wish the normal protesters would try to stop them

That is, if they're not just cops dressed as protesters doing this
Old 08-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #1071

They are. No idea who they are. Whether if they’re police doing that shit or paid protestors or just plain bad apples, they’re going to lose the public’s support.

Same goes with the us/uk flag carrying people. Same with the ones crying for revolution and all that shit.

It’s has gotten to a point where it’s embarrassing for both sides.

It has gotten to protest against extradition to police brutality to Yuen long attacks to hk vs China to freedom and democracy to revolution. Like wtf

Funniest part of this is the entire extradition bill came up because of the hk man killing his gf in Taiwan, he’s going to be set free in a month. Nothing good came out of this mess.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 11:07 PM   #1072

Old 08-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
They are. No idea who they are. Whether if they’re police doing that shit or paid protestors or just plain bad apples, they’re going to lose the public’s support.

Same goes with the us/uk flag carrying people. Same with the ones crying for revolution and all that shit.

It’s has gotten to a point where it’s embarrassing for both sides.

It has gotten to protest against extradition to police brutality to Yuen long attacks to hk vs China to freedom and democracy to revolution. Like wtf

Funniest part of this is the entire extradition bill came up because of the hk man killing his gf in Taiwan, he’s going to be set free in a month. Nothing good came out of this mess.
I think there will need to be more proof of instigation by the protesters for them to lose more public support. As of now, the police force are not seen as civil servants, they're seen basically as gangsters hired by the china government to beat on HK citizens. So any actions directed towards them are often seen as justified.

However if the protesters are hitting other people with their weapons, as we've seen with that molotov landing near the press, there's definitely going to be some backlash.

That being said, there's a very good chance that the most violent protesters are agent provocateurs. HKPF have already done this several times, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Hell the cop that shot that girl in the eye wasn't even with the rest of the cops, he was apparently on his own, shooting at various protesters and civilians' heads, including press members and medics.

(not expressing my views here, only my observations, BTW this applies to most of my posts here)
Old 08-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #1074
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I have been reading about the mainlanders ranting "keep the island, but not the people"
it will just be another Chinese city if Hong Kong is run by Mainlanders. Hongers have their own value and mindset, we worked so hard to become one of the best cities on Earth, the handover ruined it all. It was like adopting a kid, he will never think China is his real dad.

We are upset that China has not kept the 50yrs-no-change promise, LARM CHAU is the only fucking way.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:55 AM   #1075

https://twitter.com/sumtingwong2019/...426885635?s=21

Don’t care which side you’re on. You can always enjoy and laugh at this. Lol
This post thanked by: