REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #26
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Everyone knew the oil boom was not going to last. Why do you think all the major oil/gas companies sold their gas stations? Shell, Esso, Husky, Chevron sold all the stores they owned. In BC the economy is booming right now. Alberta should have diversified more when the times where good.

How good is Ontario doing under doug ford?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...-bay-1.5206009
Tourism due to a poor dollar is not booming. They sold to go where profits lay - elsewhere. The Feds should have doubled down when the sector was strong and forcing the US to consider refineries up North. Instead, assholes drive their beat up cars to protests against expansion, high paying jobs, and a commodity they need to survive, while posting on their plastic IFuck whatever that they are talking shit to save the world, but they are hypocrites that cannot live without oil.

I suggest you look more into economics and stop asking stupid rhetorical questions. Unless, of course, you expect stupid rhetorical responses. Slow night in Vietnanaimo I guess.
Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

I think this Zionist shill still drives a Toyota Previa!

jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,401 Times in 3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Tourism due to a poor dollar is not booming. They sold to go where profits lay - elsewhere. The Feds should have doubled down when the sector was strong and forcing the US to consider refineries up North. Instead, assholes drive their beat up cars to protests against expansion, high paying jobs, and a commodity they need to survive, while posting on their plastic IFuck whatever that they are talking shit to save the world, but they are hypocrites that cannot live without oil.

I suggest you look more into economics and stop asking stupid rhetorical questions. Unless, of course, you expect stupid rhetorical responses. Slow night in Vietnanaimo I guess.
You think it's only tourism? Agriculture, trucking, tech, medical and the financial sector are all booming.

scheer will never get the pipe built.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
i did not expect to find so much hate on Nanaimo in a thread about UK

the only boom i've experienced recently are in digital/tech which hire mostly foreign talent anyways

the increase in AB plates don't seem to be visitors but displaced here to find work
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
The Island is a retirement home. For every lazy hippie, you can find 50 unemployable face tattooed hipsters in Vancouver.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 07-24-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #31

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Current Canadian unemployment rate "under Trudeau" is 5.7%, that's 50% higher than what the USA has under Trump at 3.8%.

#MAGA
Quote:
Not measured the same. You also have a few percent of the population that does not want to work. Every business owner i talk to is having a hard time finding workers.
Why let something like facts and figures get in the way of a (not so) good argument?
https://business.financialpost.com/o...d-worry-us-all
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Why let something like facts and figures get in the way of a (not so) good argument?
https://business.financialpost.com/o...d-worry-us-all
Charles Lammam is director of fiscal studies and Brennan Sorge is a research intern at the Fraser Institute. The study, “Measuring Labour Markets in Canada and the United States: 2018 Edition,” is available at http://www.fraserinstitute.org.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:57 AM   #33
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,006 Times in 158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
I think this Zionist shill still drives a Toyota Previa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT9URdPRT9c
Maybe one day you will have the honour of making a cardboard body kit for him. Then you can use the money to go to Iran, transition to a woman, and finally be at peace with yourself.
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 AM   #34

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
When you can't win an argument based on facts...

Quote:
Charles Lammam is director of fiscal studies and Brennan Sorge is a research intern at the Fraser Institute. The study, “Measuring Labour Markets in Canada and the United States: 2018 Edition,” is available at http://www.fraserinstitute.org.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Feel free to explain the difference then...

I’ll say it another way, in 2013 both the USA and Canada had a virtually identical unemployment rate of 7.0%, since that time the USA has outperformed Canada by achieving a more significant reduction in unemployment.

The reason you can’t find workers on the island is because the island is full of lazy hippies.
He's right you know!

At least that was my experience when our family had our construction business. We did the majority of our work in the lower mainland, some projects out of town like Calgary and what not.

When we had to go to the island which we did occasionally it was a nightmare to find tradesman who would show up regularly or put in a full days work. Sunny out, going boating, going fishing whatever zero fucks given. We did a few schools and a theater on the island and every time it was more economical for us to bring guys from the lower mainland, pay LOA and put them up in a hotel then it was to hire local guys and believe me we would have rather hired local.

That said the company I work for now does have a decent crew on the island but whenever they get busy past what the smallish crew can handle there we have to send them guys from our office in the Interior, Alberta or the lower mainland because generally speaking the labour force there in our industry is trash.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #36
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
He's right you know!

At least that was my experience when our family had our construction business. We did the majority of our work in the lower mainland, some projects out of town like Calgary and what not.

When we had to go to the island which we did occasionally it was a nightmare to find tradesman who would show up regularly or put in a full days work. Sunny out, going boating, going fishing whatever zero fucks given. We did a few schools and a theater on the island and every time it was more economical for us to bring guys from the lower mainland, pay LOA and put them up in a hotel then it was to hire local guys and believe me we would have rather hired local.

That said the company I work for now does have a decent crew on the island but whenever they get busy past what the smallish crew can handle there we have to send them guys from our office in the Interior, Alberta or the lower mainland because generally speaking the labour force there in our industry is trash.
Also it seems like a lot of places in Vancouver is hiring IE restaurants, supermakrets, temp constructions workers. Not sure how much they paid though. One of my co workers were jokingly saying coz these places don't pay enough so they are always looking to hire.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #37
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Also it seems like a lot of places in Vancouver is hiring IE restaurants, supermakrets, temp constructions workers. Not sure how much they paid though. One of my co workers were jokingly saying coz these places don't pay enough so they are always looking to hire.
more like people don't want to work at a job with no prestige nowadays

you will get thousands of resume for a $14/hr bank teller job, but no response for a waiter or laborer position that pays more

Gf works at a fancy, pretty famous restaurant, they get dozen of people looking to stage (i.e. work for free) every months.
While an uncle of mine who runs a typical AYCE Japanese restaurant always complain he can't hire and keep staffs for his kitchen

There is a lot more prestige telling people you work in a well-known restaurant than some obscure restaurants...even if you are a junior in the former and a higher paid head chef in the latter
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #38
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,573 Times in 5,162 Posts
It's hard to IG from McDonald's or Timmies yo
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #39
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Seems appropriate...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.2 KB, 0 views)
shabusen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
It's hard to IG from McDonald's or Timmies yo
Ex employee was posting shots from her new work place Papa Johns. She had to sneak in the phone.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #41

Scottish Leader Threatens Independence Referendum in Case of No Deal Brexit

https://theglobepost.com/2019/07/25/...rexit-johnson/
Old 07-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #42
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:

Remember this:

Or this:

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-bYGhOKbI

Also can't forget the $2000 a night hotel rooms for ministers.

All I need to know is we have the lowest unemployment rate in Canadian history under Trudeau.
because many of us are working two jobs

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
because many of us are working two jobs
And we still have a lot of vacant jobs. Whats the solution?
Old 07-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,741 Posts
Quote:
Feel free to explain the difference then...

I’ll say it another way, in 2013 both the USA and Canada had a virtually identical unemployment rate of 7.0%, since that time the USA has outperformed Canada by achieving a more significant reduction in unemployment.

The reason you can’t find workers on the island is because the island is full of lazy hippies.
Hmmm... wouldn't more of that credit apply to Obama's presidency then? But yes, #MAGA.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Hmmm... wouldn't more of that credit apply to Obama's presidency then? But yes, #MAGA.
I think as reasonable people we can agree that domestic policy does not impact the unemployment rate nearly as much as global macroeconomic and political circumstances.

Having said that, long term average unemployment rate of the USA is 5.75%, during the Obama era unemployment peaked at 9.9% in 2009 and dropped to 4.7% by the time Trump took over the White House in 2015.

Although the reduction in unemployment by both Obama and Trump could be viewed as "impressive", I would argue that the more impressive feat is to achieve the lowest possible unemployment rate... so long as it is sustainable... and I question whether the current 3.7% unemployment rate is sustainable.

Ultimately a "healthy" unemployment rate is likely closer to the historical average, and if the US Fed was to further increase the prime lending rate (Reducing borrowing and increasing the value of the greenback and associated exports) and Trump were to reverse course on some of the tax cuts (The ones that have resulted in record corporate profits and significant increases to federal debt)... things would probably balance out quite nicely.

Sauces:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo.../#744f1e2e1af3

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_unemployment_rate

Meanwhile we have a financially incompetent leader and a cabinet that resembles some sort of bizarre social experiment.

McKenna - Human rights and social justice lawyer (No experience or education related to her current role of Minister of Environment and Climate Change)

Sohi - Playwright and a bus driver (No experience of education related to his current role of Minister of Natural Resources)

Freeland - A journalist and author who wrote a book about how being wealthy is evil (No experience or education related to her current role of Minister of Foreign Affairs)
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #46
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,573 Times in 5,162 Posts
^
Isn’t that what Trump also does though? Put tonnes of people who are totally unqualified in charge of very important sectors of government?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^
Isn’t that what Trump also does though? Put tonnes of people who are totally unqualified in charge of very important sectors of government?
Yes, and I think both Trudeau and Trump are baboons.

However, I do prefer a gov that priorities finances and security over virtue signalling, plastic straws and peoplekind.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Meanwhile we have a financially incompetent leader and a cabinet that resembles some sort of bizarre social experiment.

McKenna - Human rights and social justice lawyer (No experience or education related to her current role of Minister of Environment and Climate Change)

Sohi - Playwright and a bus driver (No experience of education related to his current role of Minister of Natural Resources)

Freeland - A journalist and author who wrote a book about how being wealthy is evil (No experience or education related to her current role of Minister of Foreign Affairs)
Have you looked at who was in harpers cabinet?

Leona Aglukkaq

Minister of the Environment 15 Jul. 2013 – 4 Nov. 2015
Minister of Health 18 May 2011 - 14 Jul 2013
Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency 30 Oct. 2008 - 14 Jul. 2013

Prior to running as an MP, Aglukkaq served on the Hamlet Council of Cambridge Bay. She was also a Government of Nunavut public servant, working for the Office of the Clerk of the Nunavut Legislature, and as the Deputy Minister of Culture, Language, Elders and Youth. Information regarding Aglukkaq's post-secondary education has never been made public. AKA not a doctor with no medical experience.

Rona Ambrose Minister of Health 15 Jul. 2013 – 4 Nov. 2015
Minister of Public Works and Government Services 9 Jan. 2010 – 15 Jul. 2013
Minister of State (Status of Women) 9 Apr. 2010 – 15 Jul. 2013
Minister of Western Economic Diversification 5 Nov. 2010 – 17 May 2011
Minister of Labour 30 Oct. 2008 – 19 Jan. 2010
President of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada 4 Jan. 2007 – 30 Oct. 2008
Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs 4 Jan. 2007 – 30 Oct. 2008
Minister of Western Economic Diversification 4 Jan. 2007 – 30 Oct. 2008
Minister of the Environment 6 Feb. 2006 – 4 Jan. 2007

Ambrose was born Ronalee Chapchuk in Valleyview, Alberta, as the daughter of Colleen (née Clark) and James Chapchuk.[11][12][13] She grew up in both Brazil and Parkland County of Alberta. In addition to English, she also speaks Portuguese and Spanish but is less fluent in French.[14] Ambrose has a Bachelor of Arts in women's and gender studies from the University of Victoria and a Master of Arts degree in political science from the University of Alberta.[14]

Again not a doctor and no medical experience.

Jason Kenney

Minister of National Defence 9 Feb. 2015 – 4 Nov. 2015
Minister of Multiculturalism and Citizenship 9 Feb. 2015 – 4 Nov. 2015
Minister of Employment and Social Development 15 Jul. 2013 – 9 Feb. 2015
Minister of Citizenship and Immigration 30 Oct. 2008 – 14 Jul. 2013
Secretary of State for Multiculturalism and Canadian Identity 4 Jan. 2007 – 30 Oct. 2008

He studied philosophy at the University of San Francisco, a Jesuit university in San Francisco, California, but failed to complete coursework.

Collage drop out with no military experience.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #49

Can you direct me to where I celebrated Harpers cabinet appointments?

Your problem is you think that I am either conservative or liberal, I am in fact neither, I have never voted or provided any support to a political party.

I've wondered at times who was so influential to you that you ended up this way, normally spoiled kids that work for their parents and drive a supercar paid for by mommy and daddy are far less ideological.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Can you direct me to where I celebrated Harpers cabinet appointments?

Your problem is you think that I am either conservative or liberal, I am in fact neither, I have never voted or provided any support to a political party.

I've wondered at times who was so influential to you that you ended up this way, normally spoiled kids that work for their parents and drive a supercar paid for by mommy and daddy are far less ideological.
Just pointing out that's how all governments work. Looked like you were shocked how people in the liberal cabinet had no real experience when it's common practice.