REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #5926
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
No doubt that you have to have empathy for them but the expectation is empathy will be reciprocated. This dude clearly gives zero shits about the hundreds of thousands dying and the millions who will have permanent organ damage.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #5927
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
No doubt that you have to have empathy for them but the expectation is empathy will be reciprocated. This dude clearly gives zero shits about the hundreds of thousands dying and the millions who will have permanent organ damage.
I'm guessing it's just frustration of going bankrupt over something you can't control. It's easy for me to glide through what's going on while collecting a steady paycheck and paying all my bills. All I'm saying is people's views on things change pretty quick when you're out of work. People get ugly over it.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #5928

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
I wonder when reshut down will be, clearly currently measures aren't working considering we have more daily cases than Ontario, Quebec and HK with 7 million people
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #5929

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
There’s no money left, so it’s not happening, at least not the way it did the first time.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #5930
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I'm guessing it's just frustration of going bankrupt over something you can't control. It's easy for me to glide through what's going on while collecting a steady paycheck and paying all my bills. All I'm saying is people's views on things change pretty quick when you're out of work. People get ugly over it.
For some people yes, a friend sent me some more non-COVID related screenshots after that one and the guy is just a massive douche all around.

Even if there were no restrictions any business operating in an industry providing a luxury is going to take a hit once their clientele start running out of money.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #5931
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
For some people yes, a friend sent me some more non-COVID related screenshots after that one and the guy is just a massive douche all around.

Even if there were no restrictions any business operating in an industry providing a luxury is going to take a hit once their clientele start running out of money.
Just reading his responses to the google reviews on his company really shows he's a lunatic.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #5932
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
Maybe their business is struggling because of how unnecessary they are?

They aren't a winery, or a conference center. They are a middlemen for transportation and events, both of which for PUBLIC health reasons need to be avoided since they aren't essential. No one needs a wine tour during a pandemic.
I dunno. I feel like local tourism would be kinda bumping, since not many people are flying or ship cruising.
Just my own speculation though without actually looking at any data.
Maybe his business is sliding because of poor management. Again, just speculating.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #5933

BC tourism is pretty massive. I’d guess that the influx of people from other countries is quite a bit larger than the exodus of residents going elsewhere at the same time in our summers, but yeah I’m just speculating as well.
I do feel like even with Canadians exploring their own backyard though, the likelihood of “touristy” activities would drop substantially as people from here are a lot less likely to hop on an overpriced tour over just going for a hike on their own.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #5934

Double post
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #5935
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
I dunno. I feel like local tourism would be kinda bumping, since not many people are flying or ship cruising.
Just my own speculation though without actually looking at any data.
Maybe his business is sliding because of poor management. Again, just speculating.
Kelowna could've been the perfect place to attract Vancouver tourists. But when the locals aren't taking precautionary measures and an outbreak starts, you kind of fuck yourself up.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #5936
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
with respect to some of the posters in this thread:

you have little concept of what this event is doing to the livelihoods of some of your fellow british columbians.

my small business provides a service. is it an essential one? not really. but I could not have foreseen that the type of work I do (and have done for 20 years) would essentially END the day that people stopped being able to legally gather. Nobody would have. "Why didn't you prepare for a downturn"? This isn't a downturn. This is the faucet being turned off.

This limo guy is clearly a scumbag. But he probably has a fleet of drivers, a shit ton of lease payments and maintenance, and a family to support.

How about a little consideration for the people that don't get to just "work from home" and collect their salary?

I can promise you that if ALL british columbians took a 75% pay hit since "we're all in the same boat" that we might have a little more empathy for the people around us.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #5937
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
I got empathy for people for sure, hopefully they were able to apply for some of the business loans available or negotiate some kind of deal... I mean we are all subject to something disastrous and unexpected happening every day in the form of a massive earthquake or things like that... everything we have and worked for gone just like that... but damned if I be sending out an email saying people were gonna “die anyway”.........
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #5938

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
That guy is a tool no doubt, but it's not hard to see that your current financial situation is going to change people's position on Covid. EVERYONE is looking out for themselves first and foremost. If you can't support your own family how are you going to care about anyone else?

I want to hear about people who have lost their jobs over Covid because their opinion matters too. It's so easy to say "Shut it all down numbers are going up!!!" #myjobissaferegardless. Lose everything you have and then let us know what you think about 85 new Covid cases and no new deaths. It's not black and white, no one except crazy people want people to die, but i would hope no one wants peoples lives ruined over it either.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2020, 12:27 AM   #5939
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
At the hospital tonight, stroke scare, went to Maple ridge hospital, they wouldn't let us in the door, said they're on lockdown and to try a different hospital (wtf?) at eagle ridge several ppl were coming into emergency over covid concerns, theres a covid waiting area, and that room had about 5/6 ppl in it don't know how many were patients or just accompanying the patient tho, and the actual emergency room was quite full too of all sorts of patients so it seems like hospitals are busier than ever, already been here 4hrs
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2020, 01:10 AM   #5940

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Yes but what if the numbers go up to 170 next week, then 400 then 800. It's back to square one. Back to when they were worried that the Heath care system can't handle the amount of sick people. Saying home for 14 days isn't the magic cure. There's proven longer term health damage even if you don't die from covid now. Bc can barely keep track of their cases, how do they contact chase if they aren't even willing to disclose all the known exposed locations. You think risking your life or your family's is worth that $x amount you make an hour? Is work gonna pay your full salary for 14 day quarantine? Or any clients wanting to come in and spend $$ once they know the staff has been exposed. It just means you are waiting for your business to be forced closed for 2 weeks. Who's gonna run the place if all your staff has been exposed and now is forced to quarantine. Not putting stronger measures now will just mean a more painful and a longer period of suffering for everyone. Just look at the states, it's just a cold, let's reopen the economy, now look at their numbers.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:24 AM   #5941
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
if we hit 120-150/day in a month, will Dr Henry still be featured on NYT?

US is a grim outlook but one that's not that far-fetched when social support has been wrung out
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #5942
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just got back from Gary point in Steveston, there was a huge car meet and the parking lot was packed. Pajos was packed. Masks were next to nonexistent.

Sigh, Good luck everybody
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #5943
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
People sucking back a litre of “e-juice” a week ain’t worried about a risk of long term health effects of a virus they feel like they won’t get.

This is the norm now, there’s not going to be any more closures etc. We will just get politicians begging celebrities to appeal to dem yutes abs continue on as it has been. The only saving grace may be cooler temps and less mass gatherings due to the summer time lifestyle.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #5944
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The only saving grace may be cooler temps and less mass gatherings due to the summer time lifestyle.
I’m predicting a huge spike in numbers once the weather gets worse. At least people are spending a decent chunk of time meeting up outdoors where the spread has less of a chance. Once everything moves indoors then all bets are off.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #5945

Yeah cooler weather is only going to make things worse! We are lucky that we can still have small social meetups outdoors with low chances of transmission. Even large events outdoors are very low transmission potential. Once everyones inside we are completely fucked.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #5946
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Yeah the weather is the only reason things are as low as they are... If people act like this in the fall and winter, the first wave is going to look like a tiny ripple

This is getting to be even worse than I imagined. I can't believe how irresponsible people are. All these people probably make fun of Americans all the time, but are just doing the same shit.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #5947
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
late sept/early oct will probably get pretty bad

back to school and recent social interactions with a larger circle but now crowding inside with the weather changing...
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #5948
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I'll chime in as someone who lost work due to this thing.

I entered what I'll call my adult career like 8-9 years ago. Since then I've worked over 4000 hours a year, every single year, without fail.

In April I finished the project that I was on, and unfortunately the project I had planned on starting in May was shelved due to the pandemic and uncertainty surrounding the whole thing.

In my line of work (industrial construction - AKA mining, oil and gas, LNG, forestry, etc), there isn't a whole lot going on, nobody wants to risk a billion dollar capital project when in reality this whole thing could take a big fucking shit come fall. So everyone is in a holding pattern until they see how this is going to play out.

In the meantime i've enjoyed my summer, and got to do a lot of things I was putting off, renovations around the house, fixing some stuff on the car, spend time with family, etc. Not much else I could do unfortunately.

The novelty of being off has definitely worn off, i'm not used to it, and there is definitely a reason I work so much, because that's what is programmed into me, I like to be busy. Luckily for me, after working for so long, this time off isn't the end of the world in terms of money, but in terms of personal financial goals and life goals, 4 months out of work has probably set me back a couple years.

I know exactly whats going to happen following the resolution of this pandemic (whatever that looks like), my industry is going to have a boom, and they wont be able to find enough people to fill all the stuff that needs to be done ASAP. So I'm anticipating wages are going to go up to accommodate the demand of people, and the companies trying to make up for lost time.

I know my hourly rate isn't going to be what it was before this, after having to sit on 2 leased vehicles, rented office space, etc for multiple months. Its going to go up cause I need to make that shit back.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #5949
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

How do you work 11 hours a day, every fucking day? Those are some Elon numbers.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #5950
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Covid 20 inc

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: