REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #6151
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Yes, however, the post which Skinny has seemingly deleted since which relates to the inflammation of heart tissue etc. Are very common in ALL viral infections. Not just covid.
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #6152
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
No one knows what the full long term effects are yet because well...it's been less than a year since the first infection.
That's the one thing that absolutely gets me all the time whenever I read/hear someone say "we'll be fine"

There's absolutely no idea what the long term effects are on those patients that have been unfortunate enough to get COVID. People are brushing it off like "well, they survived so it's all good!" but the fact is we have no idea what sort've complications it'll open them up to in the future. Just look at things like coal mining, asbestos etc. I'm not saying it's a direct comparison, but those are two things off the top of my head where people didn't think anything of it at the time as well.

Call me paranoid but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #6153
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
That's the one thing that absolutely gets me all the time whenever I read/hear someone say "we'll be fine"

There's absolutely no idea what the long term effects are on those patients that have been unfortunate enough to get COVID. People are brushing it off like "well, they survived so it's all good!" but the fact is we have no idea what sort've complications it'll open them up to in the future. Just look at things like coal mining, asbestos etc. I'm not saying it's a direct comparison, but those are two things off the top of my head where people didn't think anything of it at the time as well.

Call me paranoid but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
To add to this, we're talking about a virus that:

1. literally no one is immune to
2. no available vaccine
3. no known treatment (still nothing standardized)
4. more than one strand now exists
5. infection does not provide immunity from other strand(s)
6. easily passed along to others if precautions are not taken
7. long term effects unknown (as mentioned above already)

How many more reasons do people need to avoid being infected?
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #6154
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Personally think some countries are reaching a level of immunity. Probably one reason why deaths and icu admissions have been relatively low with rising case counts.
Probably one factor at least.
It's like I mentioned early on in the thread. It's not in a virus's best interest to kill the host and over time, it'll mutate into something less harmful. There's been mentions of reinfections but they don't know right now if it's the same virus or a newer less harmful variant.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #6155
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I spent some time looking into this last night and frankly the media spins this shit so hard to try and say this is pretty specific to Covid only or they frame it in a way that seems like this is some sort of new thing.

Virtually any and all viral infections have a risk of this organ damage or inflammation of heart tissue etc. It’s literally a laundry list of different types of infections.

Also, these types of specific inflammation of heart tissue such as the link Skinny posted above, the vast majority of it is completely treatable and most make a full recovery, albeit over time.
Please stop spouting your personal opinion as scientific fact.

You don't know shit.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #6156

Uhhh..ok? None of what I posted there has any sort of specificity..

Here you go, this is the condition skinny posted yesterday:

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/myocarditis

You can get this same condition which you may get from Covid from strep..

And people in the ICU that have been on a ventilator for 2 weeks having “long term health effects” really? That’s weird!

I swear some of you people are butt hurt because covid didn’t turn out to be as serious as was initially speculated lol..

As some of you have been cowering inside your homes for the last 7 months life has carried on as it was for a lot of “front line” people. While there is clearly no long term data as to the health effects from covid as CH28 posted, its hardly what people initially expected, and that data is there. Inverse relationships between hospitalizations, critical cases, etc. And the overall number of positive cases lay that out VERY clearly.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #6157
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
It's like I mentioned early on in the thread. It's not in a virus's best interest to kill the host and over time, it'll mutate into something less harmful. There's been mentions of reinfections but they don't know right now if it's the same virus or a newer less harmful variant.

Yea cases of reinfection have been very rare. Could be a different strain.
This recent study out of Iceland, with a fair sized sample, showed 91% of those infected still had antibodies four months later.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2026116
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #6158
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Antibody testing is available from a company in Calgary at a cost of $169. Would be nice if BC could pick up the pace on this. I'd certainly pay $169 to have it done. Sure plenty of others would too
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #6159
Need to Seek Professional Help

Erring on the side of caution is fine but what do you propose Canada do? Introduce what Australia has introduced in parts of their country?

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...19-in-victoria

Restrictions are changing to slow the spread of coronavirus in Victoria.

Stage 4 restrictions are in place from 6pm on Sunday 2 August for metropolitan Melbourne. This includes a curfew from 8pm to 5am every evening. During this time people are only allowed to leave their house for work, and essential health, care or safety reasons.

From 5am – 8pm, you can only leave your home for one of the following reasons:

necessary goods and services, with limits
exercise, with limits
care and health care (including taking a pet to the vet)
work in line with restrictions on workplaces
some limited personal reasons such as in an emergency.
Some changes to the way businesses can operate during stage 4 restrictions have been announced.

Stage 3 restrictions will be in place from 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August for Regional Victoria, including Mitchell Shire.

If you live in regional Victoria, including Mitchell Shire, there are only four reasons that you can leave home:

to shop for food and essential goods or services
to provide care, for compassionate reasons or to seek medical treatment
to exercise or for outdoor recreation with your household, or one other person
for work or study, if you can’t do it from home.
You may no longer have visitors to your home or visit other people in their homes.

Everyone must wear a mask when they leave home, unless an exception applies. This is enforceable across regional Victoria from 11:59pm on Sunday 2 August.
Alpine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #6160

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post

2. no available vaccine

Sorry if you laid out your recommendation before but what do you suggest we do?

Unless there's a permanent lockdown on a global level where everything comes to a standstill until there's not even a single positive test, how else do we stamp out the virus? I know a lot of people are banking on a vaccine but how effective do we expect it to be?
Old 09-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #6161
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:

Tests are saying anywhere up to 80% of people infected remain completely asymptomatic (some never knew they were ever infected at all). Like this woman, never had symptoms, but continually testing positive: https://globalnews.ca/news/7315989/c...imes-covid-19/

While that's not immunity, it also means they're not really affected from a health perspective.

Obviously we still need to keep our measures up because it can still be spread to those who are vulnerable and may get experience the worst end of it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #6162
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
While that's not immunity, it also means they're not really affected from a health perspective.
It means they aren't affected with externally observable symptoms. Their health can still be affected. There have been plenty of cases of asymptomatic people having lung scarring, heart swelling, strokes, etc.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #6163
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
The tweet I deleted about the athletes getting myocarditis was by Penn State's doctor, who said something like 30-35% of their athletes that tested positive showed signs of heart disease. I deleted it because he clarified, saying that the study wasn't complete yet, and he shouldn't have said that.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #6164
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:

2. no available vaccine

None of these matter since it's all fake! It's a LIE!!!

^These are the people we share air with
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #6165
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Australia has been coming down HARD on 'deniers'; multiple videos of police (politely) raiding people who have organized anti-mask rallies. Hefty fines + jail time.

One could argue it's heavy-handed and surely infringing on some rights (the right to protest, for example), but if that nips the stupidity in the bud, then honestly so be it.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #6166

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
My son finally got his classes. I'm kind of pissed off, he's grade 9 and had plans to take French through grade 12.

They randomly assigned electives, he didn't get French and they aren't changing any classes at his school we spoke to the principal directly. You have your 60 kids your with and that's it for the year, all 60 of you same classes/electives.

So our only option is to put him in some sort of after school program or something so he can get French 9 so he's able to take french 10 next year......

I guess nobody to blame but covid.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #6167
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
My son finally got his classes. I'm kind of pissed off, he's grade 9 and had plans to take French through grade 12.

They randomly assigned electives, he didn't get French and they aren't changing any classes at his school we spoke to the principal directly. You have your 60 kids your with and that's it for the year, all 60 of you same classes/electives.

So our only option is to put him in some sort of after school program or something so he can get French 9 so he's able to take french 10 next year......

I guess nobody to blame but covid.
They assigned electives... doesn't that make it... not elective?

I would have been so fucking pissed if I'd been unable to take Japanese back then

Try to get your son in that class!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #6168

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
They assigned electives... doesn't that make it... not elective?

I would have been so fucking pissed if I'd been unable to take Japanese back then

Try to get your son in that class!
Yeah, we'll figure a way for him to do it just a piss off. I mean I understand the keeping kids int he same group thing but they really should have prioritized electives that will have long lasting impact on the kids future.

You wanted French? To bad your taking Foods.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #6169
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,755 Times in 3,869 Posts
So like all the dumb kids are going to be stuck with physics instead of the normal biology they would normally take?
Old 09-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #6170

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Australia has been coming down HARD on 'deniers'; multiple videos of police (politely) raiding people who have organized anti-mask rallies. Hefty fines + jail time.

One could argue it's heavy-handed and surely infringing on some rights (the right to protest, for example), but if that nips the stupidity in the bud, then honestly so be it.
So you welcome a 8pm-5am curfew, restrictions on who/how many can leave the house/day, to have police come into your home for posting something online that doesn't align with what the government tells you? These are the exact type of reasons why people flee China (and why my grandparents did).

I would be somewhat okay with some heavy-handed regulations if it's proven to stamp out the virus, but at this point it's looking like this thing is going to be around for years/the rest of our lives. Once you agree to these types of measures, it's extremely easy for these to just stick around indefinitely (it's like getting stuck with a responsibility that you temporarily accepted at work), or to accept even further, more "draconian" measures in the future as it becomes the "new normal."
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #6171

Give up freedom for safety and you’ll have neither. I’m terms of this heavy handed approach there have already been articles posted here that show the total lock down VS not is not substantially different in terms of infections etc. And the curve in places where there was no lock down VS where there was is virtually the same (albeit yes, with more deaths obviously) so now you’ve got cops knocking on your door to see how many people are in your home? Fuck off that with shit

Cops are clearly immune to the virus: last week off imperial

Prior to taking this pic there were 2 other officers and they had a shop owner in cuffs for like a ducking photo op or somthing? I watched this for about 15 minutes zero social distancing zero masks.

Also I got a speeding ticket last weekend by this cherry picker sitting in the HOV lane by Willingdon and the guy basically stuck his head in my car (assuming to try and smell booze?) even though it was like 8am, I was tempted to cough in the clowns face

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-04-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #6172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I was tempted to cough in the clowns face
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
You are fucking hopeless dude
Old 09-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #6173

You really are a clown eh?

The guy sticks his head in MY window.. there was no need for it. It was 8am, I was with my wife with fishing rods on the back seat. He’s more likely to infect me as he probably comes into contact with more people, doesn’t wear a mask, and has a position of looking down into my window/face. Completely unnecessary.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #6174

Relax bro it’s just a prank
Old 09-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #6175
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Yea that's one nitpick I had since the start of this, police are a representation of the gov't... They should really be wearing masks, especially when they're headed together, or dealing with the public

Looks like there was a huge party in west van and the police only fined the suspected organizer $200 because all the kids in west van have been very polite/respectful to officers... Lolwut
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: