REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #7176
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
^ ottawa donated a lot of our PPE to china beginning of the year

they had stockpiles of n95 from sars that were expired but i really hope they didn't just throw them out

yes there were some shortages in the supply channels even in may but i remember costco handing out masks for people without them as early as june
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #7177
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
^ ottawa donated a lot of our PPE to china beginning of the year

they had stockpiles of n95 from sars that were expired but i really hope they didn't just throw them out

yes there were some shortages in the supply channels even in may but i remember costco handing out masks for people without them as early as june
IIRC, that stock pile from SARS was thrown out because they expired.

Remember, it got as bad as Donald Trumpo forcing 3M to keep all the mask in the US.

The ball was dropped by a lot of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #7178
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,699 Times in 877 Posts
Damn pretty much 2000 cases this weekend and like 85% in Fraser Health
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #7179
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
To the other point tho. What do we do now that cerb and ceba have run out and we spent $500billion to get us to now? Federal budget update expected next Monday. Will be interesting..

Manitoba and Ontario are forcing businesses to close, literally telling businesses they are not allowed to be open. Projections are 160,000 small businesses will close at the current rate, not factoring things getting worse.

Imagine being Joe's lighting store being told to close, even tho you may see 5 customers per day. Being forced to close, meaning forced to lose your livelihood, and probably ruin your family financially, with no help from the government who closed your doors. Instead now people can still go to home depot to buy the same light bulb, in a store that has 1000 other people pass thru it in a day. Which one is more likely to contribute to an outbreak? For a government that says they're here to help the middle class, they sure are fucking the middle class and helping big corporations thru this pandemic.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #7180
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
I don’t know what the right answer is.

I saw a motion online like “Close big box stores and let small ones stay open” but that’s short sighted too because none of them have the supply chain or inventory to provide to the public the way big box stores do and what about the thousands of people who work at big box stores?

No matter what you do somebody gets fucked.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #7181
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
To the other point tho. What do we do now that cerb and ceba have run out and we spent $500billion to get us to now? Federal budget update expected next Monday. Will be interesting..

Manitoba and Ontario are forcing businesses to close, literally telling businesses they are not allowed to be open. Projections are 160,000 small businesses will close at the current rate, not factoring things getting worse.

Imagine being Joe's lighting store being told to close, even tho you may see 5 customers per day. Being forced to close, meaning forced to lose your livelihood, and probably ruin your family financially, with no help from the government who closed your doors. Instead now people can still go to home depot to buy the same light bulb, in a store that has 1000 other people pass thru it in a day. Which one is more likely to contribute to an outbreak? For a government that says they're here to help the middle class, they sure are fucking the middle class and helping big corporations thru this pandemic.
Yeah but think of how much money people will make on the stock market by trading shares of Home Depot and other huge corporations! Rich people have never been richer than they are now, thanks to covid
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #7182
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Quote:

You mean, doing what people have been pretty much begging for?

Even Bonnie said today the vast majority of deaths have been in care homes. The graph from BCCDC has very clear data as to who is impacted most seriously.

Telling small business as in your example that they have to shut even though everyone who comes and goes follows protocol and wears masks, socially distances etc. Is completely fucked.

It’s not “buT tHe EcOnOmy!!!” It’s literally stripping any and all ability for small business owners to survive period. And then the fall-out from that. Can’t pay a mortgage, can’t provide for a family, the stress and hardships that come from that

But hey, joe at joes lighting is a healthy 40 year old so you better punish him with all the force the government can muster.

The rent subsidy program is also an absolute joke and I feel bad for anyone who thought they were gonna get a break with it. Under both the previous one and this current one the responsibility of getting a supplement on your rent is held up with the land lord, if your landlord doesn’t apply you get nothing. You think some shitty office building owner is going to take the time to do that? Not a chance in hell. My wife’s company is already victim to this as is 3 other small business owners we know who the landlord basically said take a hike
Old 11-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #7183
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
There are tight controls on care homes, there have been for awhile now, but we're seeing outbreaks in care home, after care home, and as our numbers rise across the province, we see more outbreaks in care homes, because people are bringing it in

what people?

The employees, why? Cuz they're being careless in their everyday life, or have careless relatives/friends/acquaintances infecting these workers

It's a never ending cycle unless we either go hard in trying to put a stop to this, or receive a vaccine, but a wait and see approach until the vaccine gets out isn't fair to anyone
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #7184

I’d say it’s more to do with the fact that these places do not hire true professionals. Somone getting paid $18 an hour shouldn’t be expected to execute or understand the depths of a covid control manual that is 60 pages long.

Also as I mentioned before my work used to bring me into these places, now I supervise the people going into these places. Sometimes the caretaker or “maintenance” man will simply refuse to help technicians from all walks (telecom, plumbers, electricians, etc.) so when our technicians phone these people to attempt to have them help, most of the time these people are saying “well X electrician came in? Why can’t you?”

These care homes have systemic problems that need a nuclear overhaul.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #7185
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,218 Times in 1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I don't know where you are getting your info. I feel like it is random public perception that hospitals were all stocked up. My wife and most of her friends are nurses in various Metro Vancouver hospitals, and there are a few doctors in her family. Between March and May, many of the hospitals were tight on masks. They had to keep locking them up because there was a ton of internal theft. They were re-using masks multiple times when typically they would be thrown out.
This is correct. It's also important to note that (in my hospital anyways) the re-use of n95's was short lived as we were able to secure enough supply to keep us going. Internal theft as well as the public hoarding all available masks led to hospitals and other healthcare workers being short on supply. I personally suggested we lock up our supplies in our controlled substances machine which requires username and password to get yourself a mask. There's also video cameras in there.

Even now, after so many months, the quality of our current surgical masks is not as high as before this pandemic. The new supply feels cheap and doesn't always have the foam line at the bridge of the mask. Hell, even the metal piece that clamps onto your nose is crappier now.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #7186

This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #7187
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
GDI
Old 11-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #7188
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

The rent subsidy program is also an absolute joke and I feel bad for anyone who thought they were gonna get a break with it. Under both the previous one and this current one the responsibility of getting a supplement on your rent is held up with the land lord, if your landlord doesn’t apply you get nothing. You think some shitty office building owner is going to take the time to do that? Not a chance in hell. My wife’s company is already victim to this as is 3 other small business owners we know who the landlord basically said take a hike
This has been changed effective today:

Quote:
This subsidy will provide payments directly to qualifying renters and property owners, without requiring the participation of landlords.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...t-subsidy.html

In other COVID news, I heard from my Montreal sales rep that our B2B customers will not be taking any deliveries in Jan 2021. They're expecting a full scale lockdown. They were at a red zone / [color] zone type of lockdown already, if you're from red zone you can't dine in blue zone.

They're expecting an even bigger lockdown cause the Gov basically said "the 4 days around Christmas you can do whatever you want, break any COVID laws you want, "fuck (sleep with) anyone if you're single, no masks necessary, party hard no fucks given" (she literally said this)
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #7189
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Edmonton city council meeting last week on the topic of government response to covid 19.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #7190
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I don’t know what the right answer is.

I saw a motion online like “Close big box stores and let small ones stay open” but that’s short sighted too because none of them have the supply chain or inventory to provide to the public the way big box stores do and what about the thousands of people who work at big box stores?

No matter what you do somebody gets fucked.
A family owned store with 20 employees vs one Costco with 500. Let’s decide which one to close...
Old 11-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #7191

even big boxes are feeling the heat

the bay coquitlam defaulted on rent

drove past the old MEC location on broadway, whoever owns that bldg is fucked
Old 11-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #7192
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Which one employs more middle class people?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #7193

Yeah Joe can take his experience and work in the lighting department at Home Depot. He'll be thankful for his job, as he steps further into the dystopia we're being launched into
Old 11-24-2020, 12:34 AM   #7194

grandparents living separately are allowed to pick-up the kids from school/daycare which doesn't have masks mandated

Old 11-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #7195
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
even big boxes are feeling the heat

the bay coquitlam defaulted on rent

drove past the old MEC location on broadway, whoever owns that bldg is fucked
In fairness the Bay was already fucked pre covid and this is just the nail in the coffin. MEC, that's a whole different story.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #7196

Dunno how mec stayed alive to begin with tbh. Maybe if you needed snow shoes or a kayak that’s where you go, otherwise their own branded clothes were complete garbage compared to comparative priced lululwmon etc. And the in-store service was shit for a place you had to have a “membership” for..
Old 11-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #7197
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Bought a couple bikes from MEC for the kids. Seemed to be good value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #7198
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
If anything MEC should be killing it due to this pandemic. There’s more people interested in outdoor activities than any time in recent memory.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #7199
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
Their troubles started loooooooong before the pandemic was a thing
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #7200

priced themselves too close to patagooch

but for 3rd party stuff i often find it's a fair usd to cad conversion so they're not gouging like most homegrown retailers