REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #10501
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
I absolutely love Seattle. I hope things aren’t as sideways as they sound. I have a good friend down there who’s part owner of one of the most iconic music venues down there (the crocodile) and some of the best times I’ve had in recent memory are there. I’m dreaming of going back when live music exists again.
Two of my favourite restaurants down there closed though and they were well revered. I’m sure if they didn’t make it there’s tons of others that didn’t as well.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #10502
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I also want to head back to the Ridge and Pacific Raceway. Yes, we have Mission, VIMC, and Area 27 (even though we are not supposed to leave our health regions for now) and I enjoy those too. But it has been quite a few years since I've been to either WA track, and I just really miss drive there.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #10503
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
The ridge is freshly paved too so you’ll set some PR’s for sure (if the new chicane isn’t open)
Old 05-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #10504

https://apple.news/AGk-lkmENQ6-o72WAqs-tcg
Quote:
Canadians who have been vaccinated with one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine can socialize with close family and friends outdoors over the summer months, Canada's chief public health officer said today.
Oh good. Partially vaccinated people will be allowed to do this summer what we have been doing for the last 1.5 years. Thanks so much for this generous offer.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #10505
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
https://apple.news/AGk-lkmENQ6-o72WAqs-tcg

Oh good. Partially vaccinated people will be allowed to do this summer what we have been doing for the last 1.5 years. Thanks so much for this generous offer.
Haha I get your sarcasm but this is more a public message to provinces.

Pretty much every province between here and PEI is faring far worse than us.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #10506

That’s fair. Honestly though the mixed federal/provincial approach is kind of a fuckup. Federal should be dealing with international related protection of the viruses (borders, etc) and provinces should be dealing with the regions, and their suggestions and explanations shouldn’t contradict. It’s a very American approach that we saw become a clusterfuck down there.
Wonder what’s gonna happen if BC becomes one of the only places in Canada that is allowed to do anything again? Probably the same as before where everyone who’s locked down comes here for a vacation, ignores all the rules and we get shut down again.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #10507
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
So I can’t have people over who have all been vaccinated with vaccines that have +-90% efficacy for serious health effects. People who weren’t likely to have serious effects to begin with?

Nah

This messaging is so fucking stupid. You think people who have been vaccinated aren’t going to go dine out with others? I get that this messaging always is for the lowest common denominator that can’t read between the lines but I think most people have tuned out Turd and Tam when it comes to any covid news.

Canada seemingly wants to take this course of action of trying to eliminate the virus completely rather than open depending on hospitalizations snd deaths. And now we have people talking about the goal of “normal” is Christmas or beyond.

Have fun if you run a restaurant etc. Because full indoor capacity is a complete pipe dream in 2021 the way they are talking.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 05-14-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:02 PM   #10508
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The only place I kinda want to go back to is Disneyland as I have a young neice and nephew who id love to take. But my wife kinda adamant on not spending any money in the states. She keeps bringing up euro Disney but I said I’d rather not go period if that’s the case lol
For me it's Cedar Point. Other than that, I don't care if I ever go to the US again or not.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #10509
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
That’s fair. Honestly though the mixed federal/provincial approach is kind of a fuckup. Federal should be dealing with international related protection of the viruses (borders, etc) and provinces should be dealing with the regions, and their suggestions and explanations shouldn’t contradict. It’s a very American approach that we saw become a clusterfuck down there.
Wonder what’s gonna happen if BC becomes one of the only places in Canada that is allowed to do anything again? Probably the same as before where everyone who’s locked down comes here for a vacation, ignores all the rules and we get shut down again.
That's the part that's so fucking infuriating.

We're told to "do the right thing" while the government just allows anyone to come over and have a grand ole time.

At this point, I just assume most of us on here are smart enough to do some critical thinking and seeing friends and family in a safe and low risk environment because the government doesn't seem like they know what they're doing.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #10510

Quote:
As is with most of these things it's not a clear/cut answer, but yes - the many levels of government is pretty ripe for confusion, especially when they say different things, and when different provinces are bickering with each other, etc. But hey, at least we're not as convoluted as the US.

If I were to guess on the hypothetical that BC has far less restrictions than AB, then Horgan would set up checkpoints at borders, no? I mean he's done it for British Columbians, why wouldn't he for Albertans, especially when it'll make him look better? Kenney is fucked anyway.

I also remember last year BC Parks weren't accepting Albertans, etc etc.

Who knows with the vaccination rates nationally still trending up daily maybe this whole discussion is moot?
Old 05-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #10511

I think the government’s expectations for vaccination levels are going to be way out to lunch once it starts slowing down like the US did. There’s nearly as many “I DoNt knOw WuTs In iT” people here as there are there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #10512

Quote:
I think the government’s expectations for vaccination levels are going to be way out to lunch once it starts slowing down like the US did. There’s nearly as many “I DoNt knOw WuTs In iT” people here as there are there.
Yeah you might be right - I'm coming across more and more of them as talks about vaccines become more common. Although to their credit it's more of a 'I'm hesitant because I'm unsure of side-effects', rather than 'nO bIlL gAtEs SoRoS pOiSoN fOr MeEe'.

Oh well, I guess that also means we get our second shots sooner.

I'd really really like to think the average IQ of the Canadian is at least a few points higher than the 'Merican...I mean the American bleeting against vaccines and how unsafe they are is also the same American putting 50 gallons of gasoline into a rubbermaid tote in their trunk.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #10513
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I'd really really like to think the average IQ of the Canadian is at least a few points higher than the 'Merican...I mean the American bleeting against vaccines and how unsafe they are is also the same American putting 50 gallons of gasoline into a rubbermaid tote in their trunk.
Ones who put the gas in rubbermaid have IQ at least 1 or 2 pts higher than these 'Mericans.

whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #10514
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
I think a big concern should be that we aren’t going to get that 75% of people vaccinated the feds are looking for. Merica has basically already come out and said they know they won’t get herd immunity due to the lack of total people getting the shot

In Canada the polls seem to say we are far more likely to take the shot but the last time I looked it was somthing like 18% of people were still hesitant or wouldn’t get it at all.

So what, people who are fully vaccinated or have had 1 shot have to sit on the sidelines and cross out fingers hoping people come around and get it?..
Old 05-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #10515
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
I think a big concern should be that we aren’t going to get that 75% of people vaccinated the feds are looking for. Merica has basically already come out and said they know they won’t get herd immunity due to the lack of total people getting the shot

In Canada the polls seem to say we are far more likely to take the shot but the last time I looked it was somthing like 18% of people were still hesitant or wouldn’t get it at all.

So what, people who are fully vaccinated or have had 1 shot have to sit on the sidelines and cross out fingers hoping people come around and get it?..
There's an Angus Reid poll from late April that shows 83% will get/are already vaccinated, 10% will not get it, and 7% unsure for Canada.

No surprise, for getting the vaccine, we have ATL 89% --> ON 86% --> BC 85% --> QC 84% --> MB/SK 79% --> AB 71%

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #10516
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Am I the only one who would be perfectly happy if the border stayed permanently closed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i really dont get this

esp as a hospitality-driven city

if i want to live in a hermit kingdom there's best korea
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #10517
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
All the places that are easy driving distances, Seattle, Portland, etc. Are all fucking dumps now given what’s been happening before during and after this pandemic

The only place I kinda want to go back to is Disneyland as I have a young neice and nephew who id love to take. But my wife kinda adamant on not spending any money in the states. She keeps bringing up euro Disney but I said I’d rather not go period if that’s the case lol
I went to Tokyo Disneyland, pretty much identical to LA, except less obese people, it was lots of fun.

Quote:
I absolutely love Seattle. I hope things aren’t as sideways as they sound. I have a good friend down there who’s part owner of one of the most iconic music venues down there (the crocodile) and some of the best times I’ve had in recent memory are there. I’m dreaming of going back when live music exists again.
Two of my favourite restaurants down there closed though and they were well revered. I’m sure if they didn’t make it there’s tons of others that didn’t as well.
Taking these small things for granted. I would love to take a little drive south again, walk around Pike Place grab a chowder, hit up some different restaurants, etc.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #10518
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Is this getting coverage over there?

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #10519
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
No .. no one reads SCMP.

About the story though - not surprised, when things started, it was really chaotic, things were unravelling super fast, and unprecedented.

What I find interesting is SCMP calling out Canada for not declaring outbreak when everyone is accusing China of covering up ... what's that saying, "Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?"
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #10520
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
A person involved in that news article is someone I know, although I don't know the full details of the event.

As to the pot calling the kettle black, that is pretty much the standard playbook Communist China will always employ, and SCMP has turned into a CCP-controlled newspaper that continues to pretend it is unbiased. But I would also say Ian Young is an acceptable journalist -- he ranges from good to OK on some stuff, and out of touch with others, and the story here is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
About the story though - not surprised, when things started, it was really chaotic, things were unravelling super fast, and unprecedented.

What I find interesting is SCMP calling out Canada for not declaring outbreak when everyone is accusing China of covering up ... what's that saying, "Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?"
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #10521
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
No .. no one reads SCMP.

That's why I asked if the story is getting coverage there, by local outlets

It seems like a pretty big story, so IMO it would be pretty bad not to talk about it.

"SCMP calling out Canada" give me a break, is this really the time to get all nationalistic and defensive when something fucked up happens?

Edit: Here's some coverage by CTV, and Bonnie Henry's response
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #10522
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
kinda like the canadian subreddits that keep pointing out we're now on par with the US for 1st dose

uhh that's a low bar in achievement considering we stretched out 2nd dose by 5-folds
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #10523
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Got Pfizer at Langley Events Center today. Basically no wait and got my shot as fast as I could fill out the form which was nice.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #10524
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Got Pfizer at Langley Events Center today. Basically no wait and got my shot as fast as I could fill out the form which was nice.
Great news. Glad you got your shot! Me and the wife have our shot at the LEC this afternoon.

EDIT: 5G-Enabled. Easy peasy. There are arrows that guide you where to go, and a lot of people in high-visibility vests directing people to the next step. Fill out a quick form, present Medical Services/Carecard, get injected, wait 15 min. Done. Park at gate 4, and you'll come out to your car when you're all done.

Last edited by Presto; 05-15-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #10525
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Yep just got done too. Needle was painless. Arm throbbed slightly for a couple mins afterward but no pain since. Only been 90 mins though.

Edit 2: just over 5 hours later. My arm is fine. The wife’s hurts. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 05-15-2021 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Can’t tell thyme
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote