REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #10276
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I have never been quarantined, but I've been at home almost 7 days a week, usually only going to the local market to get groceries. So I was maybe out of my house about 30-45 minutes a day for weeks at a time, for the entire last year.

I work from home normally so this in itself isn't a huge change, but I would at least go to the gym 4 days a week for a few hours a day, and travel every couple months to Thailand or Japan or Taiwan, etc. Physically, I am a total wreck right now. Fattest I've ever been in my life. I have to catch my breath going up stairs, etc. This is bad news when you're >40.

I didn't think this change had an acute effect on me mentally though - I'm not antisocial, but I'm pretty fine being non social for long periods of time, always have been. But last weekend I was out with my wife and had a sudden and short panic attack. Like out of nowhere, I was feeling totally fine and BAM, heart pounding, dizziness, shortness of breath. I knew what it was so it didn't escalate from there, but I had to get outside to take my mask off asap, and get home to settle down.

That was really weird, it's like I had developed some form of internal agoraphobia that I wasn't aware of, but was happening without my knowledge. Guess I'll see what happens when we go out again next time lol

Now that I'm vaccinated I guess I can go back to the gym. But there's something keeping me from doing that, and I don't know what. Maybe this last year has had more of a toll on my mind than I even know. Have to do some reflecting...
There's been an exceptional mental toll on everyone. I think the next decade is going to be very tumultuous for many.
I know for me, when I get to see people (like friends I haven't seen in a while) and then go back to having no plans to do so it's the most drastic mood change I've experienced without there really being a serious reason like death of a family member, friend, illness, job loss or something like that. It's a full on cliff. I've managed to not have a real drop in my physical fitness, but mental fitness is the worst I've had in over a decade, and potentially my life. I've never drank alone in my life until this year, and now I do a couple times a week. I think social anxiety is going to spike for many people, and on the opposite end, once people get to see people more often, their alone time will cause very isolated feelings coming on in short times.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #10277
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
The government updated the high transmission areas today so I'm going to assume quite a few of us will be getting notifications to book our shots. I live in one of the high transmission areas so I'm expecting an email with the next day or two.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c.../neighbourhood

You can enter your postal code at the bottom if you don't know the name of your neighbourhood.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #10278
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
In vaccine news

Quote:
The US has thrown its support behind a move at the World Trade Organization (WTO) to temporarily lift patent protections for coronavirus vaccines.

Advocates of the move say it would increase global vaccine production, but drugs manufacturers argue it will not have the desired effect.

Critics say it strips financial rewards from cutting-edge drug developers.
Financial rewards, yes, that's the most important thing.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #10279
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
If you think 2 weeks quarantine is hell ... think about the 2 Michaels in a cell in China. You have electricity, TV, wifi, washroom, shower, toilet, and food.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #10280
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
The government updated the high transmission areas today so I'm going to assume quite a few of us will be getting notifications to book our shots. I live in one of the high transmission areas so I'm expecting an email with the next day or two.

You can enter your postal code at the bottom if you don't know the name of your neighbourhood.
LOL way to go Abbotsford
Old 05-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #10281
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
Quote:

While I’m grateful my neighborhood is on the list, it’s pretty disappointing to see there is once again no direction as to whether you have to register again for this high transmission round etc..

So this will be the third time I’ve registered with the 3rd registration number. Here’s hoping the same day promise on that site means within the next week
Old 05-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #10282
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
In vaccine news

I think I know what they're referring to. Drug companies spend years and hundreds of millions of dollars on new, cutting edge medications. They need to be able to recoup the money invested as well as any other costs incurred to create such things. Of course, they also need to make money for this all to have been worthwhile (it's a business after all).

On a normal basis, that means the companies that make generics of these products must wait a specific time period before they are legally allowed to do so. Generics are a good thing in general because they are able to reduce drug costs for the patient. In this case, it may allow companies to start replicating the vaccines and exponentially increase the amount of people who get the shot ASAP. That's great for society (and other companies) but it does screw the companies who created the vaccines.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
I think I know what they're referring to. Drug companies spend years and hundreds of millions of dollars on new, cutting edge medications. They need to be able to recoup the money invested as well as any other costs incurred to create such things. Of course, they also need to make money for this all to have been worthwhile (it's a business after all).

On a normal basis, that means the companies that make generics of these products must wait a specific time period before they are legally allowed to do so. Generics are a good thing in general because they are able to reduce drug costs for the patient. In this case, it may allow companies to start replicating the vaccines and exponentially increase the amount of people who get the shot ASAP. That's great for society (and other companies) but it does screw the companies who created the vaccines.
Yes I understand, but this is a catastrophic pandemic. Maybe instead of making hundreds of billions in profit, they can make... a few less billion?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #10284
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
Bonnie Henry just said there is no sign of any Astrazeneca coming anytime soon, wonderful. Who knew? I only decided to take it because I figured there would be a better chance of a second shot within an acceptable time.

Who knew? They must have known this was going to happen.
they'll get some, or we'll start from scratch. who cares? as long as that passport gets stamped.

i don't think they knew that india was going to explode w cases when they developed their strategy

also - i'm perfectly fine w mixing doses if they thing it will work, I'll even volunteer
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #10285
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
For better or for worse, the world runs on an incentive system. If there is no profit to be made, what incentive is there for Big Pharma to work on those new drugs, whatever those new drugs may be?

If you count on the world running purely on altruism, it is going to be a very, very bad place...

The failure rate for new medicine development is extremely high, and I continue to be amazed that we have as many COVID vaccines as we do now in record time, despite whatever flaws they may have.

Personally, I'd say it is a bad situation either way -- I just don't know which option would be worse. Respect the patents and production couldn't come fast enough. Allow the generics, and Big Pharma would lose incentive to do this again the next when we need their expertise. How do you choose between a rock and a hard place?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #10286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
For better or for worse, the world runs on an incentive system. If there is no profit to be made, what incentive is there for Big Pharma to work on those new drugs, whatever those new drugs may be?

If you count on the world running purely on altruism, it is going to be a very, very bad place...

The failure rate for new medicine development is extremely high, and I continue to be amazed that we have as many COVID vaccines as we do now in record time, despite whatever flaws they may have.

Personally, I'd say it is a bad situation either way -- I just don't know which option would be worse. Respect the patents and production couldn't come fast enough. Allow the generics, and Big Pharma would lose incentive to do this again the next when we need their expertise. How do you choose between a rock and a hard place?
I know, I've made that very argument before in this very thread.

But they have something that works, and millions of people are dying. People in Canada and US might think being isolated is bad for our mental health, but there are millions of people who literally can't do that. We're lucky to be able to have mental health issues as our main problem from this.

You think the Canadian government is handling this badly? Take a look at what's going on in Colombia.

Covid is hardly a big deal for people like us. The rest of the world is falling apart. Getting vaccines to everyone asap will prevent some of the damage.

But no, the people who gambled have to make trillions.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #10287
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

So it looks like pretty much all of east van (minus mount pleasant and Riley park area) is eligible.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #10288
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,448 Times in 5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
Bonnie Henry just said there is no sign of any Astrazeneca coming anytime soon, wonderful. Who knew? I only decided to take it because I figured there would be a better chance of a second shot within an acceptable time.

Who knew? They must have known this was going to happen.
Not sure if you pay attention to the news on the reg... but it's been weeks and weeks they been saying that... India is keeping it all for themselves and USA is sending their extra supply to India too... writing has been on the wall for quite awhile
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:39 AM   #10289
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Got my text that I could book my appointment this morning, going in next Saturday in Langley.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #10290
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:

I'm living in one of these areas.

Called in to see if I need to register or what to do. They checked and confirmed I had already registered and that I will be getting an invite to book sometime today or this weekend.

No need to register.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #10291
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,230 Posts
Burnaby Southeast (30+)
Burnaby Southwest (30+)

Isn't Burnaby Southeast...New West?

I've never heard these qualifiers used for Burnaby before. Why not just say Burnaby South?

Why not just have a map ffs?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #10292

Shouldn’t have had to call in to find that out imo but thanks for doing it for the rest of us lol
Old 05-07-2021, 07:51 AM   #10293
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:

Got my notification 15 min ago!
May 13, Langley events center!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #10294
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Burnaby Southeast (30+)
Burnaby Southwest (30+)

Isn't Burnaby Southeast...New West?

I've never heard these qualifiers used for Burnaby before. Why not just say Burnaby South?

Why not just have a map ffs?
Appearently Deer Lake area is part of Burnaby Southwest as my wife got the email last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #10295
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I tried calling, they won’t allow me to book until I get the notification, even though I’m in a high risk area.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #10296
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Appearently Deer Lake area is part of Burnaby Southwest as my wife got the email last night.
Well if you use Hwy 1 as the dividing line between North and South I guess that makes sense. Strange how Vancouver is divided by established neighbourhoods but the rest of the cities are just arbitrary geographical directions.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #10297
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Just got my booking email age 33.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #10298
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
My left arm is still so sore / bruised feeling I can’t sleep on it yet. I don’t remember the other vaccinations growing up having this much pip (from Sunday morning)
Old 05-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #10299
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
i was surprised too. sore for about 5 days, compared to even my flu shot in the fall which was maybe sore for 2
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #10300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Well if you use Hwy 1 as the dividing line between North and South I guess that makes sense. Strange how Vancouver is divided by established neighbourhoods but the rest of the cities are just arbitrary geographical directions.
Never realized the portion of East Van between Cassiar and Boundary is also part of Hastings-Sunrise. Didn’t make much sense but I guess you don’t want a new name for a neighborhood that consists of 3 streets lol