REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

SkinnyPupp 02-27-2023 04:41 PM

Fucking FINALLY.

donk. 02-28-2023 06:24 AM

Skinnypup gonna be swagging down the street breathing in that unfiltered air like it's 2019

GLOW 02-28-2023 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donk. (Post 9091904)
Skinnypup gonna be swagging down the street breathing in that unfiltered air like it's 2019

picturing it now...
https://media4.giphy.com/media/l0HUg...2ubkXu/200.gif

Hondaracer 02-28-2023 07:52 AM

Too early, not safe

whitev70r 02-28-2023 08:21 AM

Lab leak theory still simmering. The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...rtment/673230/

winson604 02-28-2023 11:10 AM

I know we always want to know how but really at this point I don't really care if it was bats or some resident evil shit where it leaked from a lab.

donk. 02-28-2023 11:11 AM

Noone will ever know how

My conspiracy theory is USA shipped it to china

Hehe 02-28-2023 11:16 AM

The latest news assertion about Covid being possibly a lab leak comes from DOE.

For those unaware, DOE doesn't just deal with simply energy. They have one of the most sophisticated research programs in the world, and its security clearance is just under those for Presidents and Speaker of the House.

So, when they find something that leads to one theory, it's not done lightly.

Great68 02-28-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

"The Energy Department has now concluded with "low confidence" that the COVID-19 pandemic most likely began after an unintentional laboratory leak in China, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited a classified intelligence report provided to the White House and members of Congress."
Bolded the important part, before people start going on like this is fact.

GLOW 02-28-2023 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 9091940)
Quote:

"The Energy Department has now concluded with "low confidence" that the COVID-19 pandemic most likely began after an unintentional laboratory leak in China, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited a classified intelligence report provided to the White House and members of Congress."

https://b-reddy.org/wp-content/uploa...chance-gif.gif

whitev70r 02-28-2023 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 9091935)
I know we always want to know how but really at this point I don't really care if it was bats or some resident evil shit where it leaked from a lab.

Yes, in one sense it's spilt milk but if for no other reason, for virologists, it makes a world of difference if origin was a mutation from an animal (bat) to human transmission, or stupidest and most expensive lab error in history of humanity, or both.

GLOW 02-28-2023 12:48 PM

in 1 scenario, it's scary ala a movie scenario where this got leaked by a lab
in the other scenario, it's scary ala a movie scenario where a naturally occurring mutation crossed over from animals to humans...

knowing our luck it's somehow both :lol
:ohgodwhy:

Hehe 02-28-2023 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 9091940)

You are misunderstanding the meaning of the phrases you bolded.

The “low confidence” is not about their findings. It’s about the fact that they do not have cooperation from the Chinese government to provide them with data that can increase their statistical confidence level. But their data is pointing toward lab leak.

In a less scientific jargon way to understand this is “given the available but limited data, we believe it’s more likely a lab leak than a natural act of God.”

Instead of trying to convince yourself of the flaws in this report, think deeper about what it really means. And who this is coming from. This is DOE. Their research scope goes anything from regular daily life stuff to DARPA militarily research. This is not an organization that take their decisions lightly or easy to manipulate.

Badhobz 02-28-2023 02:43 PM

This plays conveniently into the anti Chinese rhetoric that the US has been spewing since the trump era. That being said, I’m pretty sure all nations have these labs that are studying viruses to see if they can weaponize them. I remember a book called the monkey house? Or something to that nature where the US released a version of Ebola (luckily it only killed monkeys) to the wild.

So for sure not out the realm of possibilities.

Hehe 02-28-2023 03:59 PM

In my opinion, if it’s lab leak, it’sa combination of multiple things.

US is involved in a way that they were funding the research program. There are things that are too controversial to be run in the USA. One of the thing being “gain of functions” of easily transmissible viruses.

China doesn’t want to be seen as the source of a big pandemic. Especially given what they did at first to contain the knowledge about it. Xi is too proud to allow such a scandal to taint his reputation. Which wasn’t great to start with. Too much face saving effort has gone into it.

MG1 02-28-2023 07:00 PM

Would sound better if George Clooney says it........

China.............. what else?

danned 02-28-2023 09:31 PM

why did he wear a mask when he declare no mask for hk on march 1

SolidPenguin 02-28-2023 09:57 PM

Cause it wasnt march 1 yet

J____ 03-01-2023 12:39 AM

I have a nagging feeling US funded virus research in Wuhan because it was too dangerous or unethical to do on mainland USA. Then the chinese fucked up and let it leak. China can't admit their incompetence, and US can't admit their unethical funding of dangerous research, hence the early narrative that it was from a bat at a market.

Just my random thoughts with no real basis of evidence

SkinnyPupp 03-01-2023 12:49 AM

Going out today, still lots of people wearing masks. People over 60, almost all of them (especially women, saw a few older men without masks). Under 60, most men didn't have masks, a lot of women did. My wife and sister both kept wearing theirs on while commuting on the bus and MTR but that's it. All store employees, bus drivers, etc all still wore masks. Crazy!

This also proves that the mandate should have been removed months ago, as a ton of people would still wear their mask without it. Just so fucking dumb that they kept it this long.

Not sure what it was like there in BC, but I think it'll take a few weeks for people here to get used to not having to wear them. Also to some, it feels "safer" which, fair enough. We all know they can protect from covid and flu by about 10-20% indoors. So it's personal preference; I just hope they're not making their kids wear them still.

yray 03-01-2023 07:42 AM

chicks wearing them cuz they don't have to make up :lol

68style 03-01-2023 08:10 AM

There's still quite a few people wearing masks on Canada Line when I commute to downtown... and around Richmond randomly.

I feel tempted to be honest on the train, I swear to myself every time I hear someone sniffling or hacking.

ilovebacon 03-01-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 9092018)
chicks wearing them cuz they don't have to make up :lol

i swear they look better with masks on

murd0c 03-01-2023 08:27 AM

every morning on the way to work I see this woman walking alone along a farm road wearing a mask.. I just shake my head every single time, like why wear a mask when you are along and outside.

Hondaracer 03-01-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 9092026)
every morning on the way to work I see this woman walking alone along a farm road wearing a mask.. I just shake my head every single time, like why wear a mask when you are along and outside.

Like wonder if it’s this same woman a buddy and I saw. Since you’re in mission lol.. we were out going to Sylvester side by siding and this woman walking along a country road with a house every KM masked up

Nice logic