REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:21 AM   #1751
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

These next couple weeks are crucial. We can atleast have a partial shutdown with minimum wage jobs, schools, restaurants, malls, etc. They're already suffering from the lack of business. Just pull the plug on them and give them 100% employment insurance.

Other jobs like trades can close a little later depending on the conditions. All I'm saying is let's be proactive instead of reactive.
Advertisement
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #1752
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I see discord increased channel size from 10 to 50 to allow people to do virtual classrooms if needed. This is what I like to see companies looking for ways to help, even though it's a small thing it's a good idea. Good on you Discord.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #1753
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What's the alternative? There are ways to offset peoples costs and steps need to be taken to flatten the curve as much as possible to reduce the strain on the health care system. It's pretty hard to pay your bills when you're dead too.
It won't kill most of the young people, so they still have to pay bills. That's why you see the younger population risk it.

Young people suffer financially, older people suffer in terms of health.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #1754
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
If your an organ donor and you die from the virus, do they still transplant the organs to other people or are the organs disqualified?
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #1755
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
They should do what Hong Kong did to China. Shut down all land borders to Washington, except one. Anyone coming in is subject to a mandatory 14 day quarantine, monitored by a phone app and call-ins. If your phone GPS doesn't sign in for a certain time, police come check up on you.

Nobody will want to come in unless they are coming home, and those people should be going back anyway, or staying away completely.

It worked pretty well for us, and no testing was needed.
Quote:
Then have facilities for quarantined people who are either homeless (or visiting) or don't have a phone that can be tracked. I think someone said a mental hospital is empty but ready to go? Perfect.

"no monitoring team available" so make one lol. These don't have to be doctors or nurses, we could use police or military to do the job.

Once the borders are closed, there will not be many people to look after anyway
Quote:
I hear you man, just trying to brainstorm some solutions that worked elsewhere.

When people say that nobody is going to quarantine, my first thought is to track them so they have to.

However, maybe the assumption should just be, not everyone will quarantine themselves. So the goal should be to get as many of them to do so as possible. Public shaming might be the solution, rather than forcing them to stay home.

Maybe full lockdown is the only viable solution, and some countries were just lucky to avoid it (and some may well get there)
You think they're going to do any of that?
Countries weren't just "lucky". The ones that didn't test and monitor to extent restricted flights and their border, If not closing them completely.
Which, as you know, we have still done neither.

Canada's "enhanced screening measures" consist of a touchscreen questionnaire and a pamphlet. Sometimes not even that. And we're talking about people coming back from highly infected areas.

https://montreal.citynews.ca/video/2...-no-screening/

What i find really upsetting about this is that Canada had a much further head start than other countries and its been squandered completely.
The combination of a lack of transparency and action is probably the worst way of handling this.
But I'm not surprised in the least.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 03-15-2020 at 09:02 AM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #1756
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
These next couple weeks are crucial. We can atleast have a partial shutdown with minimum wage jobs, schools, restaurants, malls, etc. They're already suffering from the lack of business. Just pull the plug on them and give them 100% employment insurance.

Other jobs like trades can close a little later depending on the conditions. All I'm saying is let's be proactive instead of reactive.
Are you going to also pay the business owners? Closing down malls would also mean closing down pharmacies and some doctor's offices.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #1757
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Are you going to also pay the business owners? Closing down malls would also mean closing down pharmacies and some doctor's offices.

We can atleast start the discussion on what we can close first or close everything all together. We have many countries we can model ourselves too.

Sacrifices and hard decisions need to be made now
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #1758

Manic!, I'd just like to take this moment to thank you, and all those others like you, who have continued to defend this government after bungling just about every state of affairs that's been thrown at them.

In a few weeks time, when we're taking much more drastic measures than those that should have been taken in preparation, and people in dire need of healthcare are being turned away, I'm sure you'll still be praising the terrific job they've done.
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #1759

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
No matter what happens you will blame the Liberal government. How is your outlook any more valid?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #1760
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
We can atleast start the discussion on what we can close first or close everything all together. We have many countries we can model ourselves too.

Sacrifices and hard decisions need to be made now
Not Apple to Apple, but I feel like this is a situation where you have a family member who has a terminal illness. How do you do you decide how much resources you want to put in to keep them alive? (You’re just a regular family)

I’m not suggesting answers or correct solutions.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #1761

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
No matter what happens you will blame the Liberal government. How is your outlook any more valid?
And if you can't be critical of this government's clear failure at handling this very foreseeable issue, then you are wearing the heaviest prescription of partisan glasses I've witnessed.

Trump dropped the ball HARD on testing. But at least they restricted travel promptly from countries with high rates.

200 yesterday morning. 313 this morning.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6680382/c...ealth-officer/
-Norm Franz
Old 03-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #1762

Quote:
Stay home, save lives: How Canada could avoid the worst of COVID-19

Now is the time for social distancing, before the disease gets 'completely out of control'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coron...cing-1.5497789

Last edited by Amuse; 03-15-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #1763
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
ottawa will have a mechanism in place to easily lend money to businesses
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...kage-1.5496928

for the individuals/families that dont have a rainy day fund...this will be a hard lesson to learn...let's hope EI can get them through

but anyone trying put economy before communtiy health should try working on the front lines in italy/iran/hubei if they're gonna say this virus is nbd

a physician working near milan tells his story (translated)...people that help others fight the virus for weeks without seeing their own family in times of crisis
https://www.reddit.com/r/medicine/co...ergamo_in_the/
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #1764

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
And if you can't be critical of this government's clear failure at handling this very foreseeable issue, then you are wearing the heaviest prescription of partisan glasses I've witnessed.

Trump dropped the ball HARD on testing. But at least they restricted travel promptly from countries with high rates.

200 yesterday morning. 313 this morning.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6680382/c...ealth-officer/
This has nothing to do with partisanship you cucumber.
This has to do with the fact that really, nobody knows what the appropriate course of action is, as this is an unprecedented worldwide event in our lifetimes. You have absolutely no idea what the appropriate course of action is. Neither do I. If you want to know how to butcher a pig, I'll show you. If I want to know how to change my hedgasket, I'll ask you. But neither of us have a fucking clue what the appropriate measures are for this situation, because besides the medical implications, there are MASSIVE financial implications as well that could cause more harm long term than even this disease if things get under control. Then we will get to hear from welfare in "the Canadian recession thread" about how the liberal governments overreaction to the covid-19 epidemic caused Canada's financial collapse. Your formula isn't subtle.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #1765

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
France shut themselves down as much as possible: https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2...-deaths-hit-91

What boggles my mind is all the people who seem completely oblivious and are going around like everything is normal. Meanwhile other people/businesses are shutting down or isolating as much as possible.

This seems relevant given the opposing views in here.

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
This has nothing to do with partisanship you cucumber.
This has to do with the fact that really, nobody knows what the appropriate course of action is, as this is an unprecedented worldwide event in our lifetimes. You have absolutely no idea what the appropriate course of action is. Neither do I. If you want to know how to butcher a pig, I'll show you. If I want to know how to change my hedgasket, I'll ask you. But neither of us have a fucking clue what the appropriate measures are for this situation, because besides the medical implications, there are MASSIVE financial implications as well that could cause more harm long term than even this disease if things get under control. Then we will get to hear from welfare in "the Canadian recession thread" about how the liberal governments overreaction to the covid-19 epidemic caused Canada's financial collapse. Your formula isn't subtle.
Canada's own government website states that 79% of cases are due to travel.
Yet there have been no travel restrictions placed thus far. Only "recommendations" and "advisories".
But i guess you'd need to be a mathematician to understand that 2+2=4.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 03-15-2020 at 12:50 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #1767
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Of course the cases came from travel! Not even hipsters are eating bats in Canada.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #1768

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Canada's own government website states that 79% of cases are due to travel.
Yet there have been no travel restrictions placed thus far. Only "recommendations" and "advisories".
But i guess you'd need to be a mathematician to understand that 2+2=4.

What happened to personal responsibility? If a vaccine is created should everyone be forced to take it?
Old 03-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #1769

What a joke.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #1770
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Once Manic! and Welfare starts at it in a thread, it's like a bad virus.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #1771

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
US Fed just cut the rate to effective 0
Old 03-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #1772
I don't get it

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...-for-covid-19/

Passenger on Vancouver-Kelowna flight tests positive for COVID-19
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Once Manic! and Welfare starts at it in a thread, it's like a bad virus.
Honestly, I'm not even..

My wife has been dealing with complications the last few years. She's scheduled for a hysterectomy in April. I doubt it's gonna happen. Which is fine by comparison.
She'll live.
But I'm sure there are members on this site,and many Canadians in general, with family who deal with critical health problems.
When our ICU's become so overwhelmed, and they're treating patients in hallways, with personnel and equipment stretched beyond their limits, I'm not so sure about what'll happen to them.

So yea, I'm not too concerned about replying to some forum troll atm.
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #1774
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts

This is an excellent read. Whenever I hear someone talk about the "panic" and "don't panic" I want to slap them upside the head.

We need to REACT, what these idiots are calling "panic" or we are truly fucked. Actually we need to do what seems like OVERREACT.

I hope some of them are still lurking. I see them failing smart posts, so I know they're still here.

I think if more unfiltered footage came out of Wuhan, along with actual statistics, people might be taking this a bit more seriously. Probably not though...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #1775
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
I’ve had a cough for a few weeks now.. it just won’t go away. No COVID I actually got the fever test before I could enter a clients site the other day. Felt bad for the guy beside me on the plane today. He was ultra cautious, broke out the Lysol wipes ahead of takeoff and everything. Tried my damn best not to cough on the short 45 min flight from Kelowna to YVR but probably did 5-6 times into my sleeve and away from him. Was wondering what was going through his mind lol

There was a toddler in the row next to me coughing his ass off. A lady in the same row got westjet to provide her with sanitizing wipes. Everyone is ultra cautious at the moment, especially in airports and planes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post
https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...-for-covid-19/

Passenger on Vancouver-Kelowna flight tests positive for COVID-19
Not me!

This is a little close for comfort though I flew YVR to YLW the next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote