REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #1851
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,272 Times in 1,967 Posts
Hmm. I was expecting something 'stronger' to be said by the PMO but I guess I'm just reading too many 'what if' articles :

Anyway,

Went to a nearby Safeway at 9:30 this morning. BUSY but manageable. Some parts of the freezer sections wiped out as with canned goods. NO TP at all and Tissues were almost empty. I was able to get what I needed and despite standing in line for about 20 minutes, it was fine. Other than a couple of people clearing grabbing more than they need (and things they probably don't eat), most people were cool, calm and cheerful. This weather is probably helping lift people's spirits.

Shout out to the store employees. They don't get paid enough in general but to deal with all this now? Hope they get some kind of bonus / profit share.

I'm not worried about the virus, I'm worried about how people deal with unprecedented situations.
Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #1852
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Insane that the important points are in French and then translated.. the translation is very hard to hear on CTV..
Trudeau said the ENTIRE address in English and French. He said every point once in each language.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #1853

Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,718 Posts
My girlfriend is a nurse @ VGH.

Edit by !Aznboi128: patient confidentiality
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #1854
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
3 more deaths in BC today
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #1855

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
what's that? you work in construction? see you at work tomorrow

because we all know no one in construction takes transit, or has meetings, or can get sick like everyone else
Interesting to see what they do with jobsites going forward. I can see big sites getting shut down.

I'm an estimator/PM so I'm in the office most of the time. I called my boss and let him know I'll be working from home for the next week or two, he was fine with it.

TBH I don't want to risk getting my wife sick her works needs her on the front lines now more now than ever.

I feel terrible for all the people in hospitality that are going to either be laid off our have their shifts seriously cut for the unforeseen future who work at hotels, restaurants ect. All the people living cheque to cheque who are going to be in serious trouble, the Govt. can say what it wants about helping but talk is cheap I want to see action.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #1856
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

Uh, your girlfriend might want to be reminded of laws regarding patient confidentiality...she probably didn't want you to just post that online as well.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #1857

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

my dad walked into family doctor requesting for oxygen because he was feeling better but wanted an extra boost to being sent into ER to almost going on ECMO in 9 hours

Dad was 54% SpO2 at ER

they never found out what caused his double pneumonia, this was in feburary

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #1858

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Health care workers can get in big shit for stuff like that. Mods edit the posts?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Interesting to see what they do with jobsites going forward. I can see big sites getting shut down.

I'm an estimator/PM so I'm in the office most of the time. I called my boss and let him know I'll be working from home for the next week or two, he was fine with it.

TBH I don't want to risk getting my wife sick her works needs her on the front lines now more now than ever.

I feel terrible for all the people in hospitality that are going to either be laid off our have their shifts seriously cut for the unforeseen future who work at hotels, restaurants ect. All the people living cheque to cheque who are going to be in serious trouble, the Govt. can say what it wants about helping but talk is cheap I want to see action.
my wife works for PHSA as a PM and is being deemed an essential service and has to continue to go work. i would assume as support for programs and logistics etc

is there any truth to the rumor that gatherings of 50 or more is now banned? my site has 60+

bull shit if my office just says keep 10 guys at home...
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #1860
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Buddy of mine just flew from Toronto Pearson in to YVR today. Said there was no signage in either airport and saw basically no indication of any kind of prevention measures. He noted that the few hand sanitizer stations he passed in YVR were all empty.

The fact that the Premiere of AB had to call out the Federal government for not doing shit at our points of entry and mobilize provincial assets is a bad look. Today's federal response was weak and provinces are taking stronger measures on their own accord. Infections have gone bang in the US and spread will increase, I expect the same in Canada over the next few days. Too little too late from our fed gov.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #1861
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
my wife works for PHSA as a PM and is being deemed an essential service and has to continue to go work. i would assume as support for programs and logistics etc

is there any truth to the rumor that gatherings of 50 or more is now banned? my site has 60+

50 people is true. Listening to the news now and it was said by Dr bonnie Henry.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #1862
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!
so basically nothing different.
Border still wide open to the 99% who were traveling it already.
Flights still coming in and out of all areas with high rates of infection.
And we're handing out pamphlets to passengers coming back to ask them to please maybe hope you consider self isolating for 14 days.

South Africa shut it's border completely yesterday, ordered all citizens to return, and those returning from any country with over 200 infected will be tested. Mandatory isolation for all returnees.
Freaking South Africa!
With twice the population, half the gdp, and only 61 cases recorded!

Listening to these bobbleheads talk about flattening the curve while simultaneously imposing no actions to do so is like living in the twilight zone.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #1863
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:

If you take your emotional aspect out of it. Do you really feel there is a hazard to your health in the workplace? Can your workplace take precautions to reduce risk? Or is this an emotional response because you are seeing others staying home?

If everyone says I’m not going to work (if this is against federal advice), it is a fairly self centred decision if there really is low risk. If your work is forcing you to work and you believe it is indeed a risk to your immediate well being, use your “right to refuse”, part 2 of the Canada labour code. They will find out fairy quick if your argument is true. If it’s really not a hazard, then do your part and keep the world spinning.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-16-2020 at 11:39 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #1864

Quote:

At the provincial level 250+ is banned.

Anything else than that is either rumours at this point OR applicable in other cities/provinces. BC is ok for the moment.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #1865

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
My mom texted me just now saying Adrian Dix will have an announcement tomorrow about public schools and a a pundit from Victoria suggested they may keep the schools closed after spring break and thus could be the end of the school year?
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #1866
GS8

Thanked 7,272 Times in 1,967 Posts
Reposting this link:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

As of March 16th:

Quote:
3233 new cases and 349 new deaths in Italy

1440 new cases and 41 new deaths in Spain

1428 new cases and 2 new deaths in Germany
They've already stated that Europe is now the epicentre of the pandemic. These numbers clearly suggest that. Contrary, I'm actually shocked how low India's number is but good on them if they're able to stay on top of the outbreak.

Also:

572 new cases and 7 new deaths in the United States

This is like the initial wind gusts before a hurricane

Also, the panels are getting grilled by the press. I love it.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #1867
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Work is actually preparing for all staff to work at home if needed. I have no idea how they can get us all laptops in just a day. Tech will still have to go out and do their work which sucks.

To be honest working from home sucks I will be stuck at home for like 18+ hours a day @@
Learn to take breaks. Work life balance. Sometimes we get caught up working we forget to eat.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!
so basically nothing different.
Border still wide open to the 99% who were traveling it already.
Flights still coming in and out of all areas with high rates of infection.
And we're handing out pamphlets to passengers coming back to ask them to please maybe hope you consider self isolating for 14 days.

South Africa shut it's border completely yesterday, ordered all citizens to return, and those returning from any country with over 200 infected will be tested. Mandatory isolation for all returnees.
Freaking South Africa!
With twice the population, half the gdp, and only 61 cases recorded!

Listening to these bobbleheads talk about flattening the curve while simultaneously imposing no actions to do so is like living in the twilight zone.
I can't even.

Hyperbole aside, according to StatsCan, 7,464,299 non-residents (which does not include Americans) visited Canada in 2019. Unless you somehow think 700 million Canadians+Americans are crossing the borders barring international tourists is a good step.

Flights are coming in with screening happening at boarding and landing.

As for SA...well here's a photo from March 16, 2020.

Try suggesting social distancing there. Say what you want about Canada but despite all the idiocy there's still a lot of decent people who will take their own measures to help in this shitshow.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #1869
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Sask and Alberta are shutting down on their own, BC and the federal level seem to be doing fuck all. Suggesting social distancing is great but too many people have zero ability to look at anything beyond how things are right at this moment.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #1870

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I can't even.

Hyperbole aside, according to StatsCan, 7,464,299 non-residents (which does not include Americans) visited Canada in 2019. Unless you somehow think 700 million Canadians+Americans are crossing the borders barring international tourists is a good step.
You're incorporating stats from an entire year

All the measures that aren't taken now are going to be taken by mid April to end of April by the latest. Only by then this thing is going to be out of control.

We can always seem to find the resources to pour into a problem when it's spiraled out of control. But never when it comes to preventing it.

But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #1871

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

I hear you, my wife works for Healthlink BC she hasn't had a day off in almost 3 weeks been working 10-12 hours a day during the week and 8-10 on weekends. I'm worried she's going to burn out but she seems to be holding up right now, the kid and I have to take care of the household for now.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #1872

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Not quite. International flights cancelled. Borders open to citizens and US citizens. Domestic US, Canada and mexico flights still on.
All international flights are cancelled? What about Canadian citizens/ PR cards/ Americans from international countries wanting to come to Canada? Those flights still allowed?
Old 03-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #1873
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
At the provincial level 250+ is banned.

Anything else than that is either rumours at this point OR applicable in other cities/provinces. BC is ok for the moment.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-cancelling...ople-1.4855058
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #1874
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
Buddy of mine just flew from Toronto Pearson in to YVR today. Said there was no signage in either airport and saw basically no indication of any kind of prevention measures. He noted that the few hand sanitizer stations he passed in YVR were all empty.

The fact that the Premiere of AB had to call out the Federal government for not doing shit at our points of entry and mobilize provincial assets is a bad look. Today's federal response was weak and provinces are taking stronger measures on their own accord. Infections have gone bang in the US and spread will increase, I expect the same in Canada over the next few days. Too little too late from our fed gov.
Adrian Dix also called out the PMO for not having stronger policies in place and that he’d like to see the border with USA closed to only essential Americans (commercial trade I assume)
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #1875
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
All international flights are cancelled? What about Canadian citizens/ PR cards/ Americans from international countries wanting to come to Canada? Those flights still allowed?
Look into it. I was just typing as he was speaking.
This post thanked by: