REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #13051
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
free rapid test on arrival, if positive result you get a call/text within 2 hours

that's how they do it in atlantic canada
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #13052
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
26 deaths over the weekend damn

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/1...cases-weekend/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #13053
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Vaccine passport working well
Old 10-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #13054
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Is the inference that things would be the same or better without the passport?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #13055

Presumably better as it was an attempt to get the unvaxxed vaccinated. However the last month or so when the passport has been in place there have been more deaths per day than during the entire pandemic

Combo that with 84% or more of BC residents being fully vaccinated and still having restrictions on indoor gatherings and sporting events, I wouldn’t say it’s too succesful
Old 10-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #13056
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Yeah it's almost like we have a variant that's deadlier and more transmissible or something.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #13057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
However the last month or so when the passport has been in place there have been more deaths per day than during the entire pandemic
That's because you're in the middle of a huge outbreak

Singapore is going through the same thing right now

All the vaccines and restrictions aren't going to solve covid. You need to manage it so it doesn't completely overwhelm hospitals

The only way to "cure" covid right now, in that you have zero cases in the local population, is to do what HK and China and to a certain extent Japan are doing now. Or what New Zealand did for most of it (but are changing their policy). Have an insanely strict quarantine and basically shut off the ability to travel.

Others, like Singapore, have taken to a "live with covid and manage it" policy. That's why they're getting numbers that are higher than even the peak in 2020

There are pros and cons to each policy... I can tell you as someone living in a place with zero covid cases, it's nice for peace of mind, but pretty annoying that I can't travel. Singapore people would probably tell you that having insane restrictions (groups of no more than 2 people, no dining out, etc) is pretty annoying. Much worse than having a vaccine passport. But they can travel. A lot of people here want to "let covid in" and accept more restrictions, in order to open the borders.

Singapore is having a lot of deaths, but if you look at the numbers, 100% of vaccinated deaths were people with pre existing conditions. 100% of the deaths without pre existing conditions were those who were not vaccinated. The death rate is 44X higher with non vaccinated people
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #13058

Middle of a huge outbreak?

You mean the same numbers of infections per day since July? There have been an average of 700 cases for the last 3 months. How does the passport manage infections if they are unchanged by it?

Im not so much hating on the passport as to just saying welcome to the norm because the people who listen are the ones who are vaccinated.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #13059

Quote:

You mean the same numbers of infections per day since July? There have been an average of 700 cases for the last 3 months. How does the passport manage infections if they are unchanged by it?

Im not so much hating on the passport as to just saying welcome to the norm because the people who listen are the ones who are vaccinated.
Yes, Canada is in its 4th outbreak of covid.. The peak of wave 4 was mid September with around 8000 new cases and 70-80 deaths per day.

I'm just saying, the passport isn't that big of a deal from what I understand. It's just part of managing covid, because you can't get rid of it. There will probably more annoying things you will have to do in the future that you won't like, but will be necessary to live with... This is our life now.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #13060
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
I'm curious to know the reasoning, Ontario has 3 times our population but our case count each day is close to twice their number. Is it because they are more spread apart? I believe we have similar restrictions.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:13 PM   #13061
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

I think the passports were intended to allow those who are vaccinated to get back to some sort of normalcy by being able to do the same things pre-covid. People who aren't vaccinated will still get infected elsewhere besides places that I want to go to.

As a positive side effect, sure it would be great if the passport would motivate some of those who are on the fence to get vaccinated. There will always be the selfish anti-vaxers who will never listen. That's why there will always be covid numbers. They don't agree with taking the vaccine, but also don't care about staying isolated in their own homes.

Anyone have a list of all the big Employers of BC who are now requiring vaccination as a part of their employment? Curious to see what employment opportunities will be available in the future for those who don't have an exemption from being vaccinated.
Vege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #13062

^^ I guess they can be full time protestors
Old 10-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #13063

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I'm curious to know the reasoning, Ontario has 3 times our population but our case count each day is close to twice their number. Is it because they are more spread apart? I believe we have similar restrictions.
They (Ontario) had a mask policy for grade 1 to 12 as soon as the school year started.

In BC, it was only required for grade 5 to 12, until that recently changed on Oct 1.

Not saying this is the single sole reason, but the age group missed by BC are obviously all unvaccinated and now make up the biggest # of cases per capita and are at risk to spreading it to other people

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/worrying-rise-...lyst-1.5600276

My Feedback

Blah™

Last edited by Hakkaboy; 10-19-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #13064
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
Not saying this is the single sole reason, but the age group missed by BC are obviously all unvaccinated and now make up the biggest # of cases per capita and are at risk to spreading it to other people
Angus Reid released a survey result yesterday indicating that 1/2 of the parents (51%) plan to get their children vaccinated as soon as it is approved. But what was interesting -- or perhaps facepalm-worthy -- was, when they looked closer into it, 60-something percent of the university-educated parents were willing to do this, while only 40-something percent of the non-university-educated parents were willing to do the same.

I have been totally supportive of people getting themselves vaccinated, but I gotta admit that when it comes to children, there is a much bigger hesitation to get my kid to do that even though I'm still gonna do it. Esp for parents with boys, the carditis / pericarditis risks are real, although I have not been able to accurately gauge how big of a risk, or how common it really is. The news that I've seen from the medical community seem to suggest that the risks are quite low. But then there are at least several governments around the world who have -- perhaps only for the time being, but perhaps not -- chosen to not vaccinate their younger children yet. Seeing news like that stirs up hesitation and parental anxiety, and is not helpful in the vaccination effort.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #13065
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Don’t children have like a 99.7% recovery rate even when unvaccinated? Someone can correct me on the number cuz I don’t remember. Don’t get me wrong I fully support the school mask mandate since they can still carry/spread it.

But although I’m willing to risk myself for the vaccine, I know what you mean about being more cautious with a child
Old 10-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #13066
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Yeah, I think the vaccine has too little study done (duh!) to show any confidence on the long-term effects of the vaccine, regardless of the brand/type, has on human body.

I'd skip it for now for the kids until a long-term study can be produced and peer-reviewed. Worst case scenario is that kids can't go anywhere public other than parks...
Old 10-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #13067

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I always find it amusing when parents are so concerned about their children's wellbeing but when it comes to their own health they couldn't give a fuck lol. People willingly took a shot without hesitation, in most cases urging other people to do it as well and getting upset if they didn't. Now suddenly it's "well there's not enough data" when it comes to their kids getting it.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #13068

I've heard the risks of not getting vaccinated for kids > than the symptoms of getting the vaccine. As lots of people have very long recovery periods, Corona symptoms, can't smell, weakened lungs. There still hasn't been much clear cut research, I guess it just depends on how it effects the individual.

So yes kids won't die but do you want them to be the new super spreaders and possibly have life long lingering effects if they catch Coronas?

I'm sure we all remember how dirty the playground/ kids are, some literally lick dirt off the ground. All you need is one sick kid and they all get infected, unless you don't send them to school.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #13069
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I always find it amusing when parents are so concerned about their children's wellbeing but when it comes to their own health they couldn't give a fuck lol. People willingly took a shot without hesitation, in most cases urging other people to do it as well and getting upset if they didn't. Now suddenly it's "well there's not enough data" when it comes to their kids getting it.
That's a bit unfair, children are inherently different than adults. As a parent I'd rather have side effects from the shot than my kid, I know I can deal with it and I'm not sure if they can, yet. It stems mostly from the age, not so much because of the hesitancy around the vaccine. I'd still get it for her though if her age group was approved.

Also, this is a bit tangential, but all parents will inherently have a bit of unreasonable illogic when it comes to their kids. There's no reason why I drink the plebian Dairyland milk at home while the baby gets Avalon organic whole milk from a glass bottle, but we do it anyway lol.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #13070

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Don’t children have like a 99.7% recovery rate even when unvaccinated? Someone can correct me on the number cuz I don’t remember. Don’t get me wrong I fully support the school mask mandate since they can still carry/spread it.

But although I’m willing to risk myself for the vaccine, I know what you mean about being more cautious with a child
"Recovery rate" (from COVID) on its own means very little to me because it gives no indication of how the person might still be affected after the initial COVID infection has run its course through the person. There can be post-COVID complications, including long COVID, and those are really the issues of concern for me. This is especially true for children, with MIS-C, COVID toes, etc. being discussed to some extent in the news. But again, I can't seem to get a good grasp on how common they are. Knowing a ballpark percentage figure would be a lot more helpful.

For example, it seems to me that long COVID tends to affect 30 - 40% of people who have had COVID to some extent. That sounds like a really bad percentage to me, so it makes the decision to get vaccinated pretty straightforward. But what do you do when you don't have enough information to make an informed decision?

Quote:
Are you a parent, Mark? If you are, it might be easier to understand why parents behave that way.

Like I've said earlier, the carditis and pericarditis are real because they have been observed among clinical trials in younger children. We know it mostly and disproportionally affect boys. I'd be less concerned and more willing to get my child vaccinated if she is a she. But for parents with boys, I just don't have enough information to make an educated guess on how the risks compared to the benefits.

As for my own decision to get vaccinated, that one is based on scientific evidence. First of all, I trust our scientists and doctors -- most of the time. Secondly, by the time I was eligible for the COVID vaccine, there were literally already millions and billions of people who have already taken it. So I figure my risks of the vaccine going wrong are fairly low lol~
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #13071

Can’t really blame people for being hesitant when 12-16 months into the vaccination program countries are now pulling the vaccines you were told were safe etc.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #13072

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Are you a parent, Mark? If you are, it might be easier to understand why parents behave that way.

Like I've said earlier, the carditis and pericarditis are real because they have been observed among clinical trials in younger children. We know it mostly and disproportionally affect boys. I'd be less concerned and more willing to get my child vaccinated if she is a she. But for parents with boys, I just don't have enough information to make an educated guess on how the risks compared to the benefits.

As for my own decision to get vaccinated, that one is based on scientific evidence. First of all, I trust our scientists and doctors -- most of the time. Secondly, by the time I was eligible for the COVID vaccine, there were literally already millions and billions of people who have already taken it. So I figure my risks of the vaccine going wrong are fairly low lol~
I'm most definitely not, which admittingly gives me a different perspective on the situation. My comment stems deeper than the vaccine though, since most of my friends now have children you tend to notice things. A lot of parents sacrifice their own health (eat like shit, never exercise, always sleep deprived) for the kids. I'm sure once you have kids it's more understandable, but from the outside looking in you think "wouldn't the best thing for the kid be living as long as possible for them by taking care of yourself as well?"

Anyways that's my own selfish childless rant, not looking to start an argument on how people raise their kids.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #13073
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Can’t really blame people for being hesitant when 12-16 months into the vaccination program countries are now pulling the vaccines you were told were safe etc.
Again, misleading. I assume you're referring to Sweden and Denmark, who pulled Moderna out of precaution for young people only and instead giving them Pfizer.

In their statements they say they paused Moderna due to increased risk of heart inflammation shown in young people, but the risk of the same condition is 6x more likely from getting Covid itself, and to get the Pfizer shot.

FWIW this is the same reason Moderna is not approved for <18 in the US.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #13074

Mark,

I am most definitely not looking for an argument either, and it is perfectly reasonable for non-parents to not understand the stuff that parents do to themselves in the name of "caring for their kids".

As a quick little blurb from me being a dad, I (obviously) love my kid, and want to provide the best of what I can to him. And when it comes down to it, there will be times when his well being is more important than mine. And a lot of times, there just isn't enough time, energy, money, or any combination of them to ensure everybody receives the level of care and attention they deserve, so the kid gets the priority.

It is really not that different from going to school full time while trying to balance health, social life, and school work. Or cars -- cheap, fast, reliable -- pick 2! You do the most of what you can with the hand that you've been dealt.
Quote:
I'm most definitely not, which admittingly gives me a different perspective on the situation. My comment stems deeper than the vaccine though, since most of my friends now have children you tend to notice things. A lot of parents sacrifice their own health (eat like shit, never exercise, always sleep deprived) for the kids. I'm sure once you have kids it's more understandable, but from the outside looking in you think "wouldn't the best thing for the kid be living as long as possible for them by taking care of yourself as well?"

Anyways that's my own selfish childless rant, not looking to start an argument on how people raise their kids.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #13075

RS Corona meat?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...r-19-1.6216724

"Hockey games, concerts, movie theatres back to 100% capacity for fully vaccinated people in B.C."