REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #101
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

Most of the friends I've spoken to that own guns agree that being able to purchase an AR-15 or any assault rifle for that matter isn't necessary. Those weapons are designed for killing people, not hunting.
Weapons are only dangerous when someone points it at another person, just like a 5 ton semi truck. If someone lawfully buys an automatic “assault” rifle just to shoot at crap on their property, what business it is of yours?
Advertisement
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #102
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Regardless of which guns were used, left vs right, I think it comes down to the following question:

Do less legal guns = less illegal guns?

Yes or No?

No completely eliminate it, but reduce it. I think that question should first be debated on before moving on to any discussion on any possible next steps.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #103

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Weapons are only dangerous when someone points it at another person, just like a 5 ton semi truck. If someone lawfully buys an automatic “assault” rifle just to shoot at crap on their property, what business it is of yours?
Quit using your "van" or "truck" logic. Vehicles aren't designed to kill people.

Assault rifles are designed to kill people, very different argument here, you're using a straw-man.

Should Bazookas be legal too then? If a line can't be drawn, what's the point of any limits to what we are able to access? I should be able to purchase a fully kitted out Apache too, then.

The people posting in here talking about illegal guns. Lets be real here, the average Tom, dick or Harry does not have the contacts available to purchase an illegal gun.

Don't hit me with the dark web arguments, as I said, most people do not know how to navigate that segment of society.

Criminals will always have access to guns whether illegal or not.

So what is the overall goal here? To arm more legal Canadians with assault rifles? That NRA talking point hasn't worked very well in the US, has it?

I don't understand the obsession and need to own an assault rifle, please explain to me how much a fundamental difference it makes to your daily life?

Someone pose me here some stats. What is the percentage of Canadians that have their PAL? What is the percentage of Canadians that own assault rifles? I guarantee you that number is extremely low.

Should the overall safety of the population be beholden to a small segment of people?

Let's be real here, the majority of mass shootings in the States have been with assault rifles. Canada has not had many, but that's due to our laws, the barrier of entry (background checks, and PAL) is a big reason to that. Perhaps culture is another factor. Either way, wouldn't it make sense to think ahead and begin to limit such access in order to avoid slipping into the environment we're seeing with our neighbors down south?

Last edited by mikemhg; 04-30-2020 at 02:12 PM.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #104
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
belka's consistently posting arguments from 2006, I think he just recently learned how to use the interwebs
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #105
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #106

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
There's no point in trying to control guns, everyone knows a guy, that knows a guy, that knows a crack addict that knows how to get a gun.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #107

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,709 Posts
I'm still laughing at that crackhead comment, come on Honda.

How about you go down to the DTES and do a little test for us. Give a crackhead $1000 and ask him to find you a gun. You'll never see that money again
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #108
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Through like 3 jumps of friends of friends I guarantee you I could get an illegal handgun by Monday. A lot of people probably know people who know people.

Not even 10 years ago I knew of people slightly outside my group of friends who had their little nammer buddies who rolled around with unregistered handguns in the arm rests of their Honda’s.

I would have to put some effort into it but I’m pretty confident I could make it happen.

You don’t think you could get the number to some dial-a-coke dealer, give him $1000 and say there’s another $3000 when you bring me back a gun?

Edit* and that’s just talking about “illegal” guns that are whatever, filed off serials, stolen, etc.

Guaranteed you could try to buy guns privately and eventually Somone would forget to check your PAL and voila! You’ve got a gun. A gun that no one knows you have, and has never been registered anywhere.

And if an illegal gun isn’t good enough for you, spend a quick afternoon to get your PAL, buy a $150 SKS and drill out the pin on your clip and the next thing you know you’re loading 9+ rounds into a gun you can buy 1500 rounds for for $500.

Where do you want to end?

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-30-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #109
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
^
Yah but you're a smart and resourceful guy.

Most people, especially ones with the type of brainpower that go into mass killing, are dumb as fuck or practically autistic from a sociological perspective... they wouldn't know the first thing to do about getting an illegal firearm let alone an automatic weapon.

They might have a crazy idea and then they don't have the stones to get into the criminal world and try to get what they need, so it just ends with them ranting on Facebook or Reddit or the mirror at home. That's why USA has so many mass shooting problems, automatic weapons or otherwise... they can just walk down to Walmart and buy one and immediately acquire the tools they need to enact upon their delusions and visions of grandeur.

That's the block. What other possible reason is there that the USA is such a horrible place for gun violence besides ease of access? It's simple. That is the reason.

I mean, you can't stop every single criminal, this Nova Scotia guy had a certain level of intelligence and fortitude and attention to detail. If someone is really motivated to do something really bad, they're going to do it almost no matter what is in place to potentially stop them. But if you make the process as difficult as reasonably possible, you eliminate all the casual->mildly serious individuals and that's a massive win. The argument here, I suppose, is what level of reasonable is acceptable to everyone?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #110
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE
So edgy.

No one needs assault weapons to inflict mass casualties. So the argument that guns are primarily used to kill people is fucking retarded. I can use an axe as a weapon or use it to chop wood. People are too dumb to realize that it’s the person pulling the trigger. It’s okay, arguing with a bunch of city folk is meaningless anyway.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #111
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Through like 3 jumps of friends of friends I guarantee you I could get an illegal handgun by Monday. A lot of people probably know people who know people.

Not even 10 years ago I knew of people slightly outside my group of friends who had their little nammer buddies who rolled around with unregistered handguns in the arm rests of their Honda’s.

I would have to put some effort into it but I’m pretty confident I could make it happen.

You don’t think you could get the number to some dial-a-coke dealer, give him $1000 and say there’s another $3000 when you bring me back a gun?

Edit* and that’s just talking about “illegal” guns that are whatever, filed off serials, stolen, etc.

Guaranteed you could try to buy guns privately and eventually Somone would forget to check your PAL and voila! You’ve got a gun. A gun that no one knows you have, and has never been registered anywhere.

And if an illegal gun isn’t good enough for you, spend a quick afternoon to get your PAL, buy a $150 SKS and drill out the pin on your clip and the next thing you know you’re loading 9+ rounds into a gun you can buy 1500 rounds for for $500.

Where do you want to end?
Your average dial a dope dealer is not going to sell you a gun.

Also you can get your PAL in a half a day?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #112

Quote:
So edgy.

No one needs assault weapons to inflict mass casualties. So the argument that guns are primarily used to kill people is fucking retarded. I can use an axe as a weapon or use it to chop wood. People are too dumb to realize that it’s the person pulling the trigger. It’s okay, arguing with a bunch of city folk is meaningless anyway.
An axe was invented to chop wood, a gun was invented to kill people and do it efficiently. An axe can be used as a weapon but putting crazy aside, if you really wanted to kill a room full of people are you reaching for your gun or your axe before you leave the house?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #113
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
if they do ban it, I don't know how, but all I'm going to do is surrender the receiver.

Ain't giving them the attachments, mags and any other mods...
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #114

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

<snip>

Sure you can do it, but you're paying 10x the price and putting in a bunch of effort and going through a bunch of people to get a gun that is illegal as soon as you have it, vs the US where you can just go buy one at the store and nobody bats an eye til you use it. I'm not 100% sure what your point is but you're very clearly showing that one is far more complicated than the other.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #115
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Your average dial a dope dealer is not going to sell you a gun.

Also you can get your PAL in a half a day?
Not half a day... half an hour. Not any more though. I had the books and read them at my own pace and challenged the exam. This was 10+ years ago. Did a quick google and found that since 2015 you can no longer challenge the exam. If you've ever used a gun prior to the course and have basic safety knowledge then the exam is pretty simple.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #116
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
An axe was invented to chop wood, a gun was invented to kill people and do it efficiently. An axe can be used as a weapon but putting crazy aside, if you really wanted to kill a room full of people are you reaching for your gun or your axe before you leave the house?
Does it matter? I can grab a knife from the kitchen and slit over a dozen throats in a packed dark movie theatre before someone, maybe, took me down. This mass shooting just proves gun laws don’t work, he used an illegal gun, not a store bought AR-15 that the moronic left are happy to ban while jerking each other off.

Trudeau got exactly what his sheep voted him in for.
World pandemic.
Economy is on cliff of collapse.
Mass shooting with illegal guns.
Perfect time to push the banning of 11+ types of firearms.

Never let a crisis/pandemic go to waste eh?
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #117

Quote:
Does it matter? I can grab a knife from the kitchen and slit over a dozen throats in a packed dark movie theatre before someone, maybe, took me down. This mass shooting just proves gun laws don’t work, he used an illegal gun, not a store bought AR-15 that the moronic left are happy to ban while jerking each other off.

World pandemic.

You think you could kill a dozen people with a kitchen knife? LOL you have been watching too many movies. People are not just going to sit there and let you grab them and slit their throats.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #118

Quote:

World pandemic.

Yeah ok I'm sure you'd be a ninja and just slit over 12 peoples throats before anyone had a clue what was going on. My guess was you'd get two or three people before you're tackled or people just ran away from you. Then you get to chase the poor fat guy that can't out run you while everyone else gets away. With a gun you could just stand there and keep firing. These guns sure do sound a lot more effective don't they?

For what the common person can get their hands on, guns are the best weapon to kill, and every gun owner knows that. They can bring up knives, baseball bats, cars, whatever they want to try and make everything sound dangerous, but when you want to kill as much as possible just admit the gun is your first choice.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #119
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post

For what the common person can get their hands on, guns are the best weapon to kill, and every gun owner knows that. They can bring up knives, baseball bats, cars, whatever they want to try and make everything sound dangerous, but when you want to kill as much as possible just admit the gun is your first choice.
You can make e.coli pretty easily. Cyanide. A gram of botulinum can kill up to 80,000 people quietly.
Or you can make yourself one of these

But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:21 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
You can make e.coli pretty easily. Cyanide. A gram of botulinum can kill up to 80,000 people quietly.
Or you can make yourself one of these

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmr6jIpXSmg
How are you going to spread e.coli to 80000 people?
Old 04-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #121
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

As a gun owner who recently purchased one of the guns on the ban list, I could care less if they they it back as long as they pay me what I purchased it for.

BUT, to think this makes our country any safer from gun violence is laughable
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
As a gun owner who recently purchased one of the guns on the ban list, I could care less if they they it back as long as they pay me what I purchased it for.

BUT, to think this makes our country any safer from gun violence is laughable
It's laughable you think the number of guns/types in Canada will make absolutely no difference either way.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #123

Quote:
How are you going to spread e.coli to 80000 people?
Water reservoir, large scale bakery, meat processing plant, etc, etc.
You could probably make a deadly toxin out of household items and spread it through an hvac system.
The materials are readily available. not that complicated. Would take more will than brains.
-Norm Franz
Old 04-30-2020, 11:13 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Water reservoir, large scale bakery, meat processing plant, etc, etc.
You could probably make a deadly toxin out of household items and spread it through an hvac system.
The materials are readily available. not that complicated. Would take more will than brains.
All those places have safeguards in place. Also e.cole mainly kills the old and the young. You are not going to kill 80k people with e.coli not even close. Keep dreaming.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372058

Quote:
Overview

Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria normally live in the intestines of healthy people and animals. Most varieties of E. coli are harmless or cause relatively brief diarrhea. But a few particularly nasty strains, such as E. coli O157:H7, can cause severe abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

You may be exposed to E. coli from contaminated water or food — especially raw vegetables and undercooked ground beef. Healthy adults usually recover from infection with E. coli O157:H7 within a week, but young children and older adults have a greater risk of developing a life-threatening form of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome.
Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection typically begin three or four days after exposure to the bacteria, though you may become ill as soon as one day after to more than a week later. Signs and symptoms include:

Diarrhea, which may range from mild and watery to severe and bloody
Abdominal cramping, pain or tenderness
Nausea and vomiting, in some people
Old 04-30-2020, 11:44 PM   #125

Quote:
All those places have safeguards in place. Also e.cole mainly kills the old and the young. You are not going to kill 80k people with e.coli not even close. Keep dreaming.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372058
Are those safeguards going to stop someone who works there?
And does it need to kill 80000 people before you find it dangerous? What about 30? 20? 15?
The point is we live in a world largely based on trust. There is absolutely no law that is going to prevent an average Joe, who isn't on anyone's radar, from carrying out what he wills himself to do. Regardless of how prohibitive your laws are, the police will always be there after the fact because up until that point, he was a law abiding citizen.
It may be unsettling to realize you have no control over that. But it's the truth nonetheless.
-Norm Franz