REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #251
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I guess majority of Canadian's are stupid because a majority of them voted left and wanted stricter gun laws.
You must be part of the moron group that doesn’t know what a “majority of Canadians” means. 33% of Canadians that voted, did so for Libtards. Cons got 35%. You’ve been sniffing too much gas at work sonny boy.
Advertisement
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #252
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
You must be part of the moron group that doesn’t know what a “majority of Canadians” means. 33% of Canadians that voted, did so for Libtards. Cons got 35%. You’ve been sniffing too much gas at work sonny boy.
The NDP and Greens are also on the left.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #253
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGN23 View Post
Getting hit by a drunk driver isn't a choice either. Can I assume you'd back a law that bans alcohol as well?
i had a discussion with some friends about his gun ban on friday night (they're in favor, I'm not)

they said why are the guns necessary, i asked why are cars that can go 300km/h hour necessary?

people like those cars for show, sport, the feeling driving etc. i like the guns for sport, skill and enjoyment as well

my argument should have been as mentioned above. WAY more people are killed year by drunk drivers. why doesn't the government ban alcohol or make the penalty for drinking and driving min 1 year sentence or force every car to come fitted with a breathalyzer

i guarantee that would have more of these "gun hatters" out protesting against the government and their loss of rights
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #254
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
i had a discussion with some friends about his gun ban on friday night (they're in favor, I'm not)

they said why are the guns necessary, i asked why are cars that can go 300km/h hour necessary?
Why do we have hobbies at all, why is anything necessary? Lets all sit at home cocooned in bubbles forever so on the off chance we don't die from something random.

gUnS aRe dESiGneD tO kiLl pEoPle
Old 05-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #255

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,225 Posts
The penalties for drinking and driving should absolutely be more stiff, especially to someone who actually kills a person by it. Why not ban alcohol? Because it's sole purpose isn't to kill something.

Guns are in a class of their own, everything else you list wasn't made for the purpose of harming people. Getting enjoyment out of a gun is just a byproduct of it, no one invented a gun thinking "this is going to be fun as fuck to shoot, and I guess if you really wanted you could probably kill someone with it too." It's always the other way around.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #256
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The penalties for drinking and driving should absolutely be more stiff, especially to someone who actually kills a person by it. Why not ban alcohol? Because it's sole purpose isn't to kill something.

Guns are in a class of their own, everything else you list wasn't made for the purpose of harming people. Getting enjoyment out of a gun is just a byproduct of it, no one invented a gun thinking "this is going to be fun as fuck to shoot, and I guess if you really wanted you could probably kill someone with it too." It's always the other way around.
What was the knife created for?
The vast majority of gun use in canada is hunting animals and target shooting, not killing humans. Many guns on that list are created for those specific purposes. Can they be used to kill people? Sure. And so can knives, cars, screwdrivers, baseball bats, etc. That doesn't mean that's what their specific purpose is, why they were purchased, and what they almost certainly are going to be used for.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #257
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
It doesn't matter what the average joe buys a weapon for (self defense/killing animals)

You can't expect a weapon to get the same treatment a vehicle, or beverage gets, due to its inherent nature

You want it to be treated the same? You'll have to move the opinions of society, gl with that, it's not impossible
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #258
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I remember a few years ago on RS, we had a conversation about pitbulls

I (young and dumb) agreed with the "ban on dangerous breeds" in BC
A lot of RS people stood up for pitbulls and their owners
I recognize I was wrong then, in agreeing with banning "dangerous dog breeds"

In a way, it's a similar situation right now, just with guns.
I don't own any guns, and I don't agree with this blanket ban of "assault style" guns. The term is so broad, and they are doing a knee-jerk ban, because "the gun looks scary"

Many of the rifles/guns, as mentioned, can be outfitted to look "scary" but they're the same rifle. This ban of "assault style" guns is pretty uneducated, and is a slippery slope for government enforcement.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #259

A knife has multiple uses, and the longer it's been around the more useful it has become among many industries and our daily lives. How have guns evolved over the years other than just getting better at shooting things? Pretty much everyone uses a knife multiple times in a week. Unless you're in a specific industry how often do you need a gun to accomplish a task?
Old 05-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #260
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Some types of alcohol are banned in Canada. You can't sell pre-packaged drinks with caffeine with alcohol mixed. The Canadian government is not banning all guns just certain types.

https://fourloko.com/faq/q-is-four-l...nned-in-canada

Company pulls products off shelves after a single death.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...old-in-canada/
You're right, they aren't banning all guns. But they have said they plan on banning even more. I believe hand guns are next. But the guns they are banning are the ones they have said are the ones responsible for killing people.

I'm willing to bet that 99 out of 100 of all drunk driving related deaths (maybe even more) in this country can be attributed to the alcohol that is still legally sold and purchased by consumers today. And yet, those all remain on the shelves of stores across the country.

It's interesting that you posted a link about an underage teen who made a choice to consume a beverage illegally to try and build up your argument. Earlier you pointed out that a choice that someone makes that results in their own death and/or hardships doesn't deserve as much sympathy as people who are killed by guns.

Bottom line, she broke the law and choose to get her hands on something that she was not legally allowed to have, much like people who illegally obtain weapons.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #261

Quote:
A knife has multiple uses, and the longer it's been around the more useful it has become among many industries and our daily lives. How have guns evolved over the years other than just getting better at shooting things? Pretty much everyone uses a knife multiple times in a week. Unless you're in a specific industry how often do you need a gun to accomplish a task?
How have knives evolved? They got better at cutting. Because that's what they're supposed to do.
The point i was making is that the guns now being restricted in canada had rarely to never been used to kill people.
They've been used for their intention which is hunting and target shooting.
Fast cars kill people. Lots of them. Even though that's not what they were intended for. It could easily be argued that the harm they cause outweighs any enjoyment people derive from them. Because those that would argue that have no affinity for the hobby/sport/culture.
-Norm Franz
Old 05-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
How have knives evolved? They got better at cutting. Because that's what they're supposed to do.
The point i was making is that the guns now being restricted in canada had rarely to never been used to kill people.
They've been used for their intention which is hunting and target shooting.
Fast cars kill people. Lots of them. Even though that's not what they were intended for. It could easily be argued that the harm they cause outweighs any enjoyment people derive from them. Because those that would argue that have no affinity for the hobby/sport/culture.
The point has been beaten to death, the facts are everything else you list has a better function than killing something. You STILL HAVE your guns for hunting, no one is taking them away. You still have your targets that you can use your hunting guns to practice on. What have you lost?
Old 05-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #263
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
The question is how much longer will you have those guns you can legally use for hunting

How much longer before the govt. essentially makes your possessions worthless proactively.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #264

Quote:
The point has been beaten to death, the facts are everything else you list has a better function than killing something. You STILL HAVE your guns for hunting, no one is taking them away. You still have your targets that you can use your hunting guns to practice on. What have you lost?
I haven't lost anything. I've never even fired a gun in my life let alone owned one. I really don't even have much interest to.
I just think it's pretty shitty that people who've done nothing wrong are having privileges taken away from them without any facts or logic behind it. I think it's unreasonable. And i don't think it's going to result to much of anything that it's intended to do.

If they want to do something that will make a difference, it's pretty simple. enforce the laws that are already in place with stiffer penalties.
Penalize the criminals who commit 95+% of the gun homicides in this country. Not the people who are statistically more likely to obey laws.
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #265

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
If the supporters and authors of this gun ban, with their understanding of firearms, were cops:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #266
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The question is how much longer will you have those guns you can legally use for hunting

How much longer before the govt. essentially makes your possessions worthless proactively.
HoW MuCh LoNgEr BeFoRe CaNaDa BeCoMeS a CoMmUnIsT DiCtAtOrShIp!?@@>!?@#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #267
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
He posed "imagine if you were the family of the slain RCMP officer and the Prime Minister of the country did absolutely nothing to curb these weapons from being on the streets?".
I agree with him, problem with the logic is this order does absolutely nothing to reduce the ability of criminals to get illegal firearms and keep them 'off the streets'. Law enforcement agencies across the country have told the federal government this repeatedly. We should be targeting criminals and their networks, not law-abiding citizens.

Quote:
You can't satisfy both sides to this argument, gun advocates will argue until they turn blue about losing their "rights" (since when did owning an assault rifle become a right anyways), either way, he ran on that promise, he was voted in on that promise, as such he's keeping his word. Isn't that what we want out of our elected officials?
So you're OK with your elected officials copy and pasting a list off the internet with no proofreading and enacting that in to law with no democratic process? Would you accept that for any law related to any property or industry? Is that how low people's bar is for their elected officials these days?

Quote:
The whole "these guns came from across the border" argument is also somewhat asinine to me. It's the same walking while chewing bubblegum argument. Who says the Feds won't attempt to clamp down further on limiting that aspect as well?
Because they've already budgeted a paltry 87 million for border security for the next five years. Meanwhile actual subject matter experts say the cost of buying back all the newly outlawed firearms will be around a billion dollars, not 250 million. Now that's asinine

Quote:
The irony here is if they did, you'll also be complaining, as that would result in deeper screenings and longer border lineups when crossing into Canada.
False hyperbole. No Canadian regardless of political stripe should accept a government copy and pasting laws with no democratic process. It's flat out wrong, not what this country stands for, and the exact opposite of what liberalism preaches: "philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law".

By the way Mike I'm not targeting you, you make clear arguments for your side that are repeated everywhere and I respect your position. I'm just trying to make you understand the other side. This whole situation goes well beyond firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
That doesn't mean that's what their specific purpose is, why they were purchased, and what they almost certainly are going to be used for.
Yup, and by this logic I shouldn't be able to privately own an airplane either.

They're going to ban more, they're going after almost everything. Word has already leaked that sidearms are next as are magazines and even optics. Word is anything over 3x power will be prohibited - which is outrageous and affects everyone who hunts. Unless you're indigenous then you're exempt. Indefensible hypocrisy and racism from our federal government.

Last edited by JD¹³; 05-05-2020 at 01:07 PM.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #268
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
The law is here and the Liberal government is not going to change it. 5 out of the 6 parties with MP's in parliament support it. The conservatives can try to fight it in the next election but is this the hill they want to die on with all the problems we will be having because of cov19? Peter McKay being from Nova Scotia is going to have a hard time trying to push for looser gun laws.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #269
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Unless you are native, then you can keep your traditional way of life, hunting elk with an assault rifle with a 10x scope, like their forefathers before them.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #270
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
Poor natives, everything has gone their way for centuries
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #271

^^another beauty liberal viewpoint. Trillions of dollars down the drain and nobody is any better off.
That's liberal solutions for ya.
-Norm Franz
Old 05-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #272

God damn lib tards
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #273

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Swinging the pendulum in the other direction does not bring equality or justice.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #274

I agree, they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and live just like everyone else!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:15 AM   #275

The soft bigotry of low expectations.
because 'requiring' preferential treatment couldn't possibly infer being less than others.
Let the results to these social policies speak for themselves.
More money, more poverty, more social tension...More lofty liberal solutions
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...scind-approval
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 05-06-2020 at 12:36 AM.
This post FAILED by: