REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   George Floyd protests in America (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716936-george-floyd-protests-america.html)

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 03:57 PM

George Floyd protests in America

Yup, it's still 2020 btw.

Everyone knows the deal by now. Cop murders a black person in front of the camera, nothing is done about it until people speak up. Sound familiar? Oh yeah this happened a few weeks ago, only it was an ex cop who chased a man down and gunned him. On camera.

So understandably, people are upset. Kneeling during the anthem wasn't enough (yet it drew a substantial amount of backlash)

People took to the streets, and here we are now. Protests, with the president threatening military action ALREADY.

When one of the world's dimmest minds is president, you get shit like this

The world is broken. Even in a democracy like USA. You'd think "if you don't like it, get out and vote!"

Well guess what - it doesn't matter if you vote. The system is too broken. MN is entirely DEM.

So if voting doesn't work, what do people do?

Cop has been charged with murder

Oh yeah there's an election this November. Good luck with that, America...

Fucking god

Obsideon 05-29-2020 04:28 PM

I'm surprised it took this long for this thread to pop up.

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 04:31 PM

People are reluctant to start new threads here.. Same thing happened with the covid thread, HK thread, etc. For whatever reason, everyone wants to reply, but not start a conversation

DavidNguyen 05-29-2020 04:47 PM

The Fail Button Scares People haha

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 05:01 PM

Obama's statement

underscore 05-29-2020 05:03 PM

What's to discuss? Protests turn into a riot when people wanting to start trashing shit show up (both randoms who don't care about the protest and people wanting to make the protestors look bad), things spiral to where more people end up hurt/killed than there were in the original event. The people on both sides who are full of hate look at the actions of the other side to add to their hate and the people on both sides who profit from the hate use it to make themselves more money. The guy who started it all gets some level of backlash but nobody bothers to look at those in charge that let that guy even be in that position.

In the end nothing ends up changing any faster than it already was and everyone forgets it in a week or two anyways. Repeat until the end of time.

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8988078)
What's to discuss? Protests turn into a riot when people wanting to start trashing shit show up (both randoms who don't care about the protest and people wanting to make the protestors look bad), things spiral to where more people end up hurt/killed than there were in the original event. The people on both sides who are full of hate look at the actions of the other side to add to their hate and the people on both sides who profit from the hate use it to make themselves more money. The guy who started it all gets some level of backlash but nobody bothers to look at those in charge that let that guy even be in that position.

In the end nothing ends up changing any faster than it already was and everyone forgets it in a week or two anyways. Repeat until the end of time.

Why even bother doing or saying anything then?

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 06:58 PM

StylinRed 05-29-2020 07:01 PM

They should target government buildings, not mom n pop shops, etc just so they can steal hookahs, cigs, beer

Even though the officer was charged, I doubt he'd be convicted, the neck pin with his knee is okayed in their state pd playbook

underscore 05-29-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8988080)
Why even bother doing or saying anything then?

To be honest I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do or say to try and help anymore. Unless it's an actual organization involved everyone wants you to do something different, and what some people say is correct others find horribly offensive. Everyone has limited time and resources and before you've even started sorting out what you think is the best thing to do people have dropped it and moved on to something else and now you're starting from scratch. It's exhausting and making me pretty jaded.

Now I can say what I think should be done, but I lack the resources to do it myself. The guy had 17 prior complaints which is apparently much higher than normal, those should be opened up and reviewed along with whatever other files there are on him to see if higher ups were negligent in allowing him to even be employed in the position he was in. If so they should face any applicable charges. That's one way to start making positive change that I can think of but I doubt it will happen.

Hondaracer 05-29-2020 08:02 PM

Loot for justice!

https://i.imgur.com/ObWI89n.jpg

The states is a really ugly place right now, and has been for quite some time. Honestly wife really wants to go to Disneyland as do I but fuck almost have a hard time bringing myself to cross the border.

Not all white people are racist, not all cops are bad, but it’s continually the same stereotype that get caught up in these situations and if anything it should shine a bright spotlight on law enforcement in general and the type of people that are recruited into it.

The looting and whatnot is a terrible byproduct and honestly it probably hurts the cause wayyyy more than it helps.

The states has huge minority population of vastly different races but it’s largely African Americans that are almost always wrapped up in these incidents whether at fault or not. Hard to believe the “hard working” Sikh, Chinese, Mexican, immigrant living in the subburbs or elsewhere looks at the looting and wreckless violence perpetrated by almost all blacks and comes away with a negative perception of them as a whole instead of directing their thoughts at the perpetrators of the crimes that initiated it.

Another somewhat apt meme:

https://i.imgur.com/PzFf4xA.jpg

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8988100)
To be honest I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do or say to try and help anymore. Unless it's an actual organization involved everyone wants you to do something different, and what some people say is correct others find horribly offensive. Everyone has limited time and resources and before you've even started sorting out what you think is the best thing to do people have dropped it and moved on to something else and now you're starting from scratch. It's exhausting and making me pretty jaded.

Now I can say what I think should be done, but I lack the resources to do it myself. The guy had 17 prior complaints which is apparently much higher than normal, those should be opened up and reviewed along with whatever other files there are on him to see if higher ups were negligent in allowing him to even be employed in the position he was in. If so they should face any applicable charges. That's one way to start making positive change that I can think of but I doubt it will happen.

Not saying that we should all sneak across the border into the US and join the protests

But do what it takes to make things better. We were talking about privilege in the Trump thread - that's one thing. Being socially aware is pretty important, because just saying "it'll happen anyway" is how things just stay the same, or in some cases get worse.

Yes if you look at the entire human history, things have been pretty good for the last 70 years or so in comparison. But can't it be better? We're still operating on policies that were infected for hundreds of years. Why not try to change that?

Being able to be so apathetic is a huge privilege in itself. Maybe start with why that is.

MarkyMark 05-29-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8988102)
Not all white people are racist, not all cops are bad, but it’s continually the same stereotype that get caught up in these situations and if anything it should shine a bright spotlight on law enforcement in general and the type of people that are recruited into it.

These "good" cops also turn a blind eye to the shitty ones and back them up when they pull some shady shit.

You'll be fine at Disneyland btw, lol.

Hondaracer 05-29-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8988107)
These "good" cops also turn a blind eye to the shitty ones and back them up when they pull some shady shit.

You'll be fine at Disneyland btw, lol.

I know I’ll be fine but it’s moreso I don’t care to support the country or travel there.

StylinRed 05-29-2020 08:43 PM

Go to Disneyland Japan, it's much nicer

Manic! 05-29-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8988102)
Loot for justice!

The states has huge minority population of vastly different races but it’s largely African Americans that are almost always wrapped up in these incidents whether at fault or not. Hard to believe the “hard working” Sikh, Chinese, Mexican, immigrant living in the subburbs or elsewhere looks at the looting and wreckless violence perpetrated by almost all blacks and comes away with a negative perception of them as a whole instead of directing their thoughts at the perpetrators of the crimes that initiated it.

https://i.redd.it/7y7t6171wp151.jpg

https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...68&oe=5EF93710

All minorities feel the pain of what happened. Many of my friends and family have been posting about this.

underscore 05-29-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8988106)
But do what it takes to make things better. We were talking about privilege in the Trump thread - that's one thing. Being socially aware is pretty important, because just saying "it'll happen anyway" is how things just stay the same, or in some cases get worse.

Being able to be so apathetic is a huge privilege in itself. Maybe start with why that is.

I genuinely don't even know what this is supposed to mean. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just dumb as shit and I honestly don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do to be "socially aware" and I have very little free time to try and figure that out.

SumAznGuy 05-29-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8988107)

It's so retarded. 3 CNN staff members were arrested while reporting the story.

And yes, the officer who was kneeling on the victim's neck had a long history.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...-had-nearly-2/

FailFish

Manic! 05-29-2020 09:29 PM

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8988117)
I genuinely don't even know what this is supposed to mean. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just dumb as shit and I honestly don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do to be "socially aware" and I have very little free time to try and figure that out.

I can't tell you what to do or how to think. All I can say is I think it's not good for everyone to just "put their heads down and live their lives". What you do is up to you. What can you do? What are other people doing? Maybe support them? Financially possibly? Find someone who can make positive changes politically, and support them in some way?

Again not trying to guilt trip you or anything (which brings up - acknowledging privilege should NOT make you feel guilty for something you can't control but I digress). Just saying, "turning a blind eye" is what the fuckheads want. How long did people "turn a blind eye" to this racist cop? Now he's killed someone. And this happens DDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIILYYYYYYYYYY. It's happening in Hong Kong now too. It's how the cycle continues. Some people have no choice but to be in the thick of it, some want no part in it... Just do what you want man. I might post if I think I disagree but I won't say you're a bad person or anything like that.

MarkyMark 05-29-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8988122)
I can't tell you what to do or how to think. All I can say is I think it's not good for everyone to just "put their heads down and live their lives". What you do is up to you. What can you do? What are other people doing? Maybe support them? Financially possibly? Find someone who can make positive changes politically, and support them in some way?

Again not trying to guilt trip you or anything (which brings up - acknowledging privilege should NOT make you feel guilty for something you can't control but I digress). Just saying, "turning a blind eye" is what the fuckheads want. How long did people "turn a blind eye" to this racist cop? Now he's killed someone. And this happens DDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIILYYYYYYYYYY. It's happening in Hong Kong now too. It's how the cycle continues. Some people have no choice but to be in the thick of it, some want no part in it... Just do what you want man. I might post if I think I disagree but I won't say you're a bad person or anything like that.

Do you not think progress is being made in the grand scheme of things though? 50-60 years ago you'd be hard pressed to find a white person who gave a shit about a white cop killing a black person in cold blood. It's coming man, people do care and this bullshit where cops get away with crap like this won't last forever especially now that video evidence is commonplace.

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8988123)
Do you not think progress is being made in the grand scheme of things though? 50-60 years ago you'd be hard pressed to find a white person who gave a shit about a white cop killing a black person in cold blood. It's coming man, people do care and this bullshit where cops get away with crap like this won't last forever especially now that video evidence is commonplace.

I can't say, because I don't have to live their lives. Sure it's "better than it was 50 years ago" but that's still REALLY fucking bad.

With all this coming out, and with (the good part of) social media, we're hearing more about the daily lives of black people in America. It's every little thing they have to do in their daily lives that I think about. It doesn't always result in a cop crushing your neck and killing you, but there are so many little things that they have to deal with, it all must add up. Again all I can do is mentally put myself in their shoes. When I do, I see how bad it really is. No there's not segregated buses and shit like that, but there is so much more. Things on the surface, things buried underneath.

Just look at what happened in NYC last week. A guy who was taking pictures of birds asked a lady to leash her dog, and she went insane. She basically "swatted" him right in front of him (on camera) knowing full well how he will be treated in that situation.

And before you dismiss that as "just a crazy racist white lady" no it's not just that. The fact that she could WEAPONIZE THE POLICE against him shows how broken things still are. The actual police, who are supposed to protect her AND him, are being used as a weapon against HIM. That wouldn't be the case if he was white.

And it goes from there... The guy gunned down going for a jog. The woman who was killed in her bedroom by cops, who performed a no-knock raid on her home, and shot 20 rounds into her bedroom as her BF tried to defend himself thinking they were being robbed.

Oh that's just in the last month or so...

Day to day life is so fucked up when you have to walk on eggshells to just get by normally. I don't even know if we can fully appreciate that.

MarkyMark 05-29-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8988126)
I can't say, because I don't have to live their lives. Sure it's "better than it was 50 years ago" but that's still REALLY fucking bad.

With all this coming out, and with (the good part of) social media, we're hearing more about the daily lives of black people in America. It's every little thing they have to do in their daily lives that I think about. It doesn't always result in a cop crushing your neck and killing you, but there are so many little things that they have to deal with, it all must add up. Again all I can do is mentally put myself in their shoes. When I do, I see how bad it really is. No there's not segregated buses and shit like that, but there is so much more. Things on the surface, things buried underneath.

Just look at what happened in NYC last week. A guy who was taking pictures of birds asked a lady to leash her dog, and she went insane. She basically "swatted" him right in front of him (on camera) knowing full well how he will be treated in that situation.

And before you dismiss that as "just a crazy racist white lady" no it's not just that. The fact that she could WEAPONIZE THE POLICE against him shows how broken things still are. The actual police, who are supposed to protect her AND him, are being used as a weapon against HIM. That wouldn't be the case if he was white.

And it goes from there... The guy gunned down going for a jog. The woman who was killed in her bedroom by cops, who performed a no-knock raid on her home, and shot 20 rounds into her bedroom as her BF tried to defend himself thinking they were being robbed.

Oh that's just in the last month or so...

Day to day life is so fucked up when you have to walk on eggshells to just get by normally. I don't even know if we can fully appreciate that.

I agree, things are fucked. I also maintain the notion that the majority of people think this shit is wrong, and when that is the case change is bound to happen. We live in a world where you can't hide this shit anymore. I don't have to put myself in their shoes to see it's wrong, it's clear as day even as an outsider.

It's a black eye on our generation. We look at slavery and think "wtf was wrong with these people to think that's ok" and 50 years from now that generation will look at us as think "wtf was wrong with them?".

That's my hope at least.

Hondaracer 05-29-2020 10:48 PM

Is it happening more now or is it just filmed more?

I realize that fact that it happens at all is a black eye but you’d have to think things have improved

RiceIntegraRS 05-29-2020 10:56 PM

Im actually kinda glad this shit is happening. It shows that the people are no longer willing to bend over and take it up the ass anymore. You see all those movies where they show the future all being fucked up with cops having very limited to no power. Its where we're headed if they dont smarten up.