REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:28 AM   #551
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
The above picture of GVRD is something you would see in a clickbait YouTube video "MUST WATCH GLOBAL WARMING"

This ain't no Florida
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #552
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Not gonna pretend to be any sort of expert in anything, but from my rudimentary understanding of city planning, most sensible local governments have or follow some sort of civic development guidelines where they are required to build a school, a hospital, a community center or something when the population reaches a certain point. The same thing can be done to relocate climate refugees. You define 3 ranges where:

1) below this population size, the whole place is getting bought out and relocated

2) within this middle range, you get some civic planning expert to do the math on a case by case basis, taking resident wishes into account. You try to get the local population to move if it is cheaper and they are willing.

3) beyond this population size, the local government hunkers down with help from the province / feds to build something that is resilient enough to withstand XXX type of climate disaster.

Lytton would without a doubt fall into category 1. Princeton has a 3000-ish population. If I have to guess, it would probably fall into category 1 as well? Richmond would probably stay, unless we see a forecast so disastrous that would wipe out everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Well where do you draw the line? Because you will have to set it somewhere or idiots will be whining and suing the gov't for ages because Lytton was bought out and they weren't. You cannot just do it once and then leave it open to interpretation. There's a bunch of projection maps like this out out there.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #553
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Tell that to a native and see how he responds
Lol.. the most eye opening contrast I’ve ever seen in terms of how irrelevant the North American natives were in the global history (I’m using irrelevant in an greater sense) is at the London national museum I believe it was

You go through these exhibits showing the wonders of the world and see the Pantheon was built in 120 AD. An engineering marvel even today. then you’re funneled into an exhibit that has some Canadian aboriginal artifacts and timelines and people are rubbing sticks together to make fire 1500 years later.. lol
Old 05-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #554
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Well, when you don't have a written language and things are passed down from generation to generation by stories, you can't expect much. Science and technology was not even in their culture. Think of the wheel. They were dragging stuff around behind horses without wheels (no axles or friction to deal with, lol). Weird things is, it is believed they came across the now Berring Sea from Asia where science and technology was revered and respected. Perhaps too worried about the harsh climate and other natural dangers than to develop weapons to fend off enemies of the human variety. No time to build permanent castles and shit. Nomads they were, in the beginning. Once they settled, they settled. Stretch a net across a river or stream for food. Once the euros arrived, game over.

It looks like in recent history, they have developed written language........... a little too late? Where's Native Russ?

Great inventors throughout history took detailed notes of their findings in hopes that others will use them to take their ideas further. Communication. So freaking important.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #555
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
That’s a 66 metre rise, or 6,600cm

From 1901 to 2018, global seal levels have risen 24cm.

As measured between 2006-2015 the average global increase is 3.6mm a year.

Predicted in North America the average coastal increase will be 3.9m by 2150. Far short of the 66m projected on that map.

Not saying you’re wrong, it’s an interesting topic of debate. But by that math it would be another 2,200 years before we reach that map. I highly doubt our society will last anywhere that long haha. poisoning of the planet will kill us long before

I'll freely admit that map may be complete crap, my point is that you need to think ahead and come up with something that covers other scenarios (like Traum did below) or it just creates a mess in the future. Kinda like how now we have a bunch of headaches from people not planning ahead a couple hundred years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Not gonna pretend to be any sort of expert in anything, but from my rudimentary understanding of city planning, most sensible local governments have or follow some sort of civic development guidelines where they are required to build a school, a hospital, a community center or something when the population reaches a certain point. The same thing can be done to relocate climate refugees. You define 3 ranges where:

1) below this population size, the whole place is getting bought out and relocated

2) within this middle range, you get some civic planning expert to do the math on a case by case basis, taking resident wishes into account. You try to get the local population to move if it is cheaper and they are willing.

3) beyond this population size, the local government hunkers down with help from the province / feds to build something that is resilient enough to withstand XXX type of climate disaster.

Lytton would without a doubt fall into category 1. Princeton has a 3000-ish population. If I have to guess, it would probably fall into category 1 as well? Richmond would probably stay, unless we see a forecast so disastrous that would wipe out everything.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #556
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol.. the most eye opening contrast I’ve ever seen in terms of how irrelevant the North American natives were in the global history (I’m using irrelevant in an greater sense) is at the London national museum I believe it was

You go through these exhibits showing the wonders of the world and see the Pantheon was built in 120 AD. An engineering marvel even today. then you’re funneled into an exhibit that has some Canadian aboriginal artifacts and timelines and people are rubbing sticks together to make fire 1500 years later.. lol
LOL, might want to delete this before you get cancelled by the PC police

Anyways, people develop technology because of hardship and scarcity. Why bother building a proper house when you're going to have to move the next season. When there's too many people you need to settle down, plant shit and then build walls so other people won't steal your stuff. Now all of a sudden you have kings, politicians, religion, and a 40-hour work week all up in your shit telling you what to do.

Why do all that when you can follow the buffalo with the seasons, pick and eat berries, fish for salmon, sleep whenever you want, fuck whenever you want, etc. I'm not entirely sure the best side won w.r.t. to "colonization".

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 02:39 PM   #557
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,441 Times in 5,113 Posts
Yah I used to be 100% in the camp of like Euros had tech everything is better... and then I read some books on the industrial revolution/saw some videos on native culture... and I was like you know... maybe they were on to something... just being in nature and having a civilization not based on money and possessions and constant... "progress"... isn't so bad lol
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #558
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Tell them to go back to China

https://thecanadaguide.com/basics/ab...o%20continents

"Everyone has to come from somewhere, and most archaeologists believe the first peoples of Canada, who belong to what is sometimes called the Amerindian race, migrated to western North America from east Asia sometime between 21,000 and 10,000 B.C. (approximately 23,000 to 12,000 years ago), back when the two continents "

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Tell that to a native and see how he responds
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
LOL, might want to delete this before you get cancelled by the PC police

Anyways, people develop technology because of hardship and scarcity. Why bother building a proper house when you're going to have to move the next season. When there's too many people you need to settle down, plant shit and then build walls so other people won't steal your stuff. Now all of a sudden you have kings, politicians, religion, and a 40-hour work week all up in your shit telling you what to do.

Why do all that when you can follow the buffalo with the seasons, pick and eat berries, fish for salmon, sleep whenever you want, fuck whenever you want, etc. I'm not entirely sure the best side won w.r.t. to "colonization".
I think your post actually jogged my memory either from those exhibits or documentaries I’ve watched which basically explained that hunter gatherer society VS industrialization etc. lol

It’s the same thing monkey societies though I believe, once they get to a certain number society basically crumbles because you can no longer rely on other members of your pack. So eventually in that hunter gatherer society you get wars or somthing that either controls population growth, or you become industrialized

The excuse of not having a written language isn’t exactly a solid defense when you’re basically playing a game of telephone at that point. Hence all these land claims in Canada that have 4-5 different tribes claiming it’s theirs. Doesn’t really work when one guy holds the knowledge gets delirious with a fever lol
Old 05-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #560
linguistic ninja

Also not all native societies were hunter-gatherers. I mean the Inca, Aztec, Mayans were all bronze age civilizations and had massive cities. They could have easily driven the Spanish back into the sea even though they were up against a small number of gunpowder and horse mounted Conquistadors. They just had the unfortunate fate of having less immunity to the diseases Europeans had which is what really took them out of the game.

If they did have immunity, who knows what could have happened. North America colonization may have followed similar patterns in Asia and Africa, where they eventually won their independence and kicking out whitey.

THere's a famous book called Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond which posits that Geography is Destiny. An East-West orientated continent like Eurasia had the ability to cross-pollinate different crops, animals, (and diseases) setting civilizations there up for success in the future with agriculture and industrialization.

Whereas continents that are North-South orientated like Africa and the Americas, there's less compatibility in biomes and diversity in domesticated animals. You can't ride a Zebra or Llama into battle, for instance. You can't really grow corn and cassava to the same quantities of wheat and rice to feed hungry civilizations and empires.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 05-17-2022 at 03:21 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #561
Performance Moderator

Geez, this thread + the RE thread aren't a good look today gaiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
THere's a famous book called Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond which posits that Geography is Destiny. An East-West orientated continent like Eurasia had the ability to cross-pollinate different crops, animals, (and diseases) setting them up for success in the future with agriculture and industrialization.
This is exactly the book I was referencing above as having read lol
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #562
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
LOL at Strathcona Abyss............ that's what it is now and was, a thousand years ago. Looks like much doesn't change in the future, either.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #563

Yea I’ve actually got that book sitting on my pile of to-reads.

My lack of attention span and ADD prevents me from getting too far in any book I’m not completely enthralled in though lol
Old 05-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #564
linguistic ninja

I picked it up at an airport gift shop many moons ago and probably read half of it on the 4 hour plane ride back home. It's a pretty good read, so much so that other serious academics try and knock it down due to it's popularity.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #565
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
I actually read that book in January when I was in Puerto Vallarta.

It's a good book, Jared loves to smell his own farts, so expect A LOT of repetition of ideas. You can get away with reading half of the book and pretty much have an understanding of what he's attempting to establish.

Fertile Crescent above the hemisphere in Euro/Asia = Amazing crop and livestock diversity = Stationary towns/cities = Technology = Colonization of worlds

Hunters and gathers = Move around too much = No tech/writing = Get fucked by the above

Some of his ideas have been challenged by modern archeologists, but for the most part I agree with his assessments.

A very dry book up until the latter chapters though.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:18 AM   #566
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

So is spring here now....

Did I just jinx it by posting.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2022, 11:45 AM   #567
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Any thoughts on this one?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...t-buy/13341964

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #568
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i'd buy it from somewhere that has good returns.. costco, PA etc.

new builds will require AC
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/air-cnditionin...uver-1.5912453
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:21 PM   #569
Performance Moderator

All cars electric, all housing requires AC... power grid stresssssssss
Old 05-20-2022, 02:26 PM   #570

Gas heat my entire home for a year - $500

Hydro, run AC in the summer - $1500

HeATpUmPS!!!! ��
Old 05-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #571
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i'd buy it from somewhere that has good returns.. costco, PA etc.

new builds will require AC
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/air-cnditionin...uver-1.5912453
what's wrong with bestbuy's return policy? i don't think i've ever had an issue
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #572
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Walmart also has a good return policy, 2 months from purchase. Just received my RCA 12000btu portable ac which I still have to set up. Hoping its slightly better than my old Danby 11000btu.
tegra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2022, 01:51 PM   #573
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Hmm. This article in the Daily Shit is interesting:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wett...uwTacHDy7i9D54

Vancouver could be in for a much rainier summer than last year as La Niña funnels moisture over the southern half of the province, a new long-range weather forecast predicts.

La Niña is a phenomenon over the Pacific Ocean that can influence weather patterns far away by affecting the jet stream position over North America. La Niña has already made Vancouver’s spring cooler and wetter than normal, and its influence may last into the summer, according to AccuWeather senior meteorologist Brett Anderson.

“It’ll be wetter than normal across the northern part of the province with near-normal rainfall expected in the southern portion,” he said. “We may see a reduction in fire activity this year, especially when compared to last summer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #574

I feel like as a life long Vancouverite, meteorologists don’t know shit lol
Old 05-24-2022, 02:28 PM   #575
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I feel like as a life long Vancouverite, meteorologists don’t know shit lol
Seems like more so in the last few years they've been wrong on high occasion in their forecasts. IIRC, we've never really experienced back to back super hot summers, so I'm still on the fence on buying an AC