REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #1376
I don't get it

Today was a good day. Hopefully we get some results.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #1377
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I'll be shocked if this makes any difference whatsoever, this season at least
Old 12-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #1378
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
-just listened to Elliott’s Friedman explain to Sportsnet’s anchor woman Martine about why he thinks that Aquaman decided to hire Boudreau.

Friedman said that the best offensive players in the teams that Boudreau coaches thrived under his coaching.

Ovechkin when Boudreau coached the Capitals.

Getzlaf of Anaheim.

Friedman said that Boudreau would give Petey ample ice time in the top line so that he gives Petey plenty of opportunity to find his game again.

If I remember correctly, Green put Petey in the third line for one game. Then he benched Petey in the late stages of a game this season. Petey was furious about the benching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #1379
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
CANUCKS SO GOOD
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #1380
I STILL don't get it

this guy (for the most part) outlines exactly what needs to be done:

1) Tyler Myers, Tanner Pearson, Jason Dickinson, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Travis Hamonic should all be put on the block for literally anything. Late round picks, long-shot prospects, future considerations, whatever. Retain salary for anyone who will take them for anything. Try not to take any cap dumps in return but if it's necessary then at least make it players who have only 1 year left. We need to maximize flexibility 2 seasons from now by dumping as much of these horrific contracts as we can, as early as we can.

2) Motte, Boeser and Miller also need to be put on the block but obviously try to actually get something for them. Focus on picks and prospects. Prefer promising recent draft picks who have not yet been signed, or whose ELC has not yet started. Do not trade away any more picks except in a pick-upgrade scenario (e.g. including a 3rd for a 2nd.) No more "projects" from other teams until we actually have a development program in place that will give us some chance of succeeding with "fixing" such players.

3) Significantly overhaul and modernization of the Player Development department. According to the Canucks website, PD right now consists of Ryan Johnson and Chris Higgins. I don't know what they are doing but whatever it is, the results haven't been there. The size of this team needs to grow, and candidates need to be sourced from outside the pool of "former Canucks players." The data that we can collect on players in terms of their skating ability, their endurance, and so forth is plentiful and can be used to create programs for players to measure their development and help them to improve. Find people who know how to do this. Hire people who are experts in this field and not just former 4th liners from the 2010 Canucks.

4) Increase the size of analytics. Similar to above, find smart people and have them working hand in hand with the PD department and sports science people. Again, we should be collecting data on all of our players and tracking their progress on everything that we can and helping them improve. The focus should be having a program in place where players can be built up (i.e. developed) and regularly promoted into NHL regulars, even late round picks and undrafted players. Every time the GM signs a free agent to plug a hole it should be considered a failure of player development. Convince Aqua that you can get better bang for your buck by spending more on player development and analysis than you can in free agency.

5) Modernize the scouting department. Focus on video collection and scouting as many games as possible using video technology and modern tools. Focus on scouting reports that quantify skills and institute a program of measuring scouting ability and keeping people accountable. The team should be quantifying the performance of the scouts and have systems in place to help scouts improve as well. The days of scouts being crusty men in their 70s who drive between rinks in rural Saskatchewan and fill out scouting reports that say "he's a gamer" are long, long behind us. Or they should be.

6) f***ing figure out what the hell has happened to Elias Pettersson.

7) At the draft, trade down almost everything that isn't a top-15 pick. Just get as many picks as possible. Focus virtually the rest of the season on collecting as many picks as you can and allocating resources to preparing for the draft. Set goals for the team and pathways to achieving those goals. Move away from a culture where scouts advocate for "their picks" and move to a more modern approach to the draft.

8) Improve Player Valuation by bringing in not just one "capologist" but several. Working with the analytics team, build financial models to determine the best ways to allocate salaries and determine the right prices to pay for players. Use these models. Don't sign bottom of the roster players to long-term deals and stop getting tunnel vision on particular guys when there are others who can do virtually the same job and fit within the financial models.

Most of this stuff is pretty obvious and are essentially things that we were on the path to doing 10 years ago with Gillis when we got beaten by the Bruins and decided to go back to the stone age. We used to be at the very front and now we are lagging way behind. Thankfully it shouldn't take more than a year to get us back on track with this stuff if we hire the right person to get it going.

I firmly believe that if we actually work on this stuff and stop trying to take short-cuts through free agency and myopic trades, we can be a good team again by 2023-24. Getting a lot of players from the draft and having an effective player development program in place for them could go such a long way.

And for f***s sakes, hire a god damn President to be the liaison between the GM and ownership so that the GM can focus on all of the above and never, ever have to talk to Aquilini except at the annual Xmas party and at the Stanley Cup parade.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #1381
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
never wanted to jump into this thread so quickly ahhhahahha

took a jersey on the ice to drive home the message
Old 12-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #1382
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Official ...both Benning and Green gone.

https://www.tsn.ca/jim-benning-travi...ired-1.1730929
Old 12-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #1383
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Complete trifecta and have ownership sell the team.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #1384
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
not sure if the aquas will ever relinquish ownership of this team... honestly don't know if anything fundamental will ever change about this organization with them as owners. who knows though, maybe they'll finally admit to mistakes and listen to experts in the league rather than try to drive their own agenda on this team.
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #1385
MG1

or team continues to do poorly translating into massive revenue losses........... business is business. New ownership turns the organization around and.............. smiles all around.

Jim Pattison? He can play his cornet at the games, lol. Just like he did at Expo 86, his baby. He has more sense than investing in something like a hockey team. Wishful thinking, I know.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #1386

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
As bad as aquaman is in meddling with the team. Gotta give him credit to spend up to the cap every year.

Out of the entire league, he’s not a bad owner. Ottawa’s good example lol
Old 12-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #1387
MG1

Spending money is not the issue. Maybe he'll get the message and stop the meddling. It's his team and he can do whatever he wants, I guess.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #1388
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

granted, spending hasn't been an issue but at the same time it's part of the problem. spending all the way to the cap is only useful when you're a contender. with the moves made during the summer, we're hamstrung again and have nothing to show for it (overall). i said it during the summer already that this was benning's all-in move; playoffs or bust.

smart management knows when to spend the max and when to hold back. benning clearly had no damn idea what he was doing. actually, i'll give him some credit and criticize aqualini for NOT hiring a team president and dumping those extra responsibilities on benning who clearly could not handle more than just his job as GM.
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #1389
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Oh and let's not forget, we also lost Bracket because of Benning/Weisbrod.
Spoiler!
Old 12-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #1390

Canucks lost alot cause of DimJim. How long will it take to undo all the shit he's leaving?
Old 12-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #1391
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If we're lucky I'd say 3 years.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #1392

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
Oh and let's not forget, we also lost Bracket because of Benning/Weisbrod.
I feel bracket is overrated. Fuck the entire “scouting” staff is too.

None of the guys really pan out. Oh look! We got gaudette…hobey baker etc etc. Now on his 3rd team.

Our 2nd rounders aside from hoglander provided zero contribution.

The day benning was hired, I was surprised there was no overhaul on the scouting department.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #1393

Brock Boeser - 23rd
Thatcher Demko - 36th
Will Lockwood - 64th
Tyler Madden - 68th
Jack Rathbone - 95th
Adam Gaudette - 149th
Aidan Mcdonough - 195th

Brackets supposed contribution. He mainly focused on USHL/NCAA

But now with Benning gone how shitty will our drafting be moving forward?
Old 12-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #1394
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2021, 09:36 PM   #1395
I STILL don't get it

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/can...nja4RQbrJuy90s

General Manager Jim Benning, Assistant GM John Weisbrod, Head Coach Travis Green and Assistant Coach Nolan Baumgartner have been relieved of their duties.

Bruce Boudreau has been named the 20th Head Coach in Vancouver Canucks history and Scott Walker has been named Assistant Coach. Stan Smyl has been named Interim General Manager and Ryan Johnson has been named Interim Assistant GM while the search for new Hockey Operations leadership has begun.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #1396
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Irony of all ironies ...AV is fired from Philly Flyers!

Old 12-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #1397
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

AV is still the coach with the most wins in our history lol. Green finishes #5.
Spoiler!
Old 12-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #1398
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Irony of all ironies ...AV is fired from Philly Flyers!

Which is why I think the Canucks acted yesterday since the Flyers wanted Bruce as well.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #1399

Wonder if Boudreau kicking himself for not waiting the extra day lol. Good luck BB. (Or should we adopt his nickname now aka Gabby?)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #1400
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Bring back AV and MG

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Closed Thread