REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #1301
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Aquaman is just calling around to see who might be avail as GM before he drops the axe, right?

Aqualini, "Hey Mike G, what are you up to lately?'
Mike G ... hangs up.

Aqualini, "Hey Trevor, .... click"

Aqualini, "Hey Burke, ... "you have reached the voicemail of Brian Burke, he is not taking calls from Aqualini".
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #1302
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,853 Times in 889 Posts
Old 11-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #1303
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Aquaman looking to find someone to replace Benning with before he replaces Green I think.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #1304
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
This is pretty rare, and pretty cool on both sides - reporter and athlete just wanting to clear things up. Canucks have been very upfront with shutting down all these rumors you guys keep posting here, on TV and in print

Unfortunately, no matter what is going on behind the scenes, they still suck and keep losing
Old 11-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #1305
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I wish it was as simple as just hitting on a couple draft picks............

It's a top to bottom organization thing... I can't remember what I was watching, and it was obviously biased being, most likely, produced BY the Bruins organization... but saw a clip of what it's like to be a new draft pick in Boston and they work so had at instilling a pride and hard work thing and reinforcing if not flat out brainwashing them into believing they're playing for the best sports franchise on this earth... and I guess they have the history to back it up to a certain extent, being an original 6 team and having championships.

What do we have to point at to anyone... oh yah legacy... I mean we retired Stan Smyl's jersey ffs... guy would have been a 3rd line plug on most other teams of the era. Not exactly the kind of stuff that makes a kid go wowwwww I'm so lucky to be here.

More like "Okay... cool... so where's the best sushi place and night spot?" "Does it always rain this much here?"

Ugh........ even newer orgs like Tampa Bay... they found success bringing in proven winners like Yzerman... somehow they got massive buy-in from all their players culture wise AND drafted/traded/signed well even without having all the nostalgia to bank on or reinforce their rhetoric...

Canucks have Benning, an AHL defenceman and a gritty ex-power forward with a limited skillset.
This is a great post and exactly what I was eluding to earlier. I fundamentally think a root issue is Vancouver Canucks and perhaps the city itself in general.

Vancouver sports has always been pure ass for the most part, it'll take a lot more than a new GM and Head Office to fix that for athletes coming here.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #1306

Quote:
I wish it was as simple as just hitting on a couple draft picks............

It's a top to bottom organization thing... I can't remember what I was watching, and it was obviously biased being, most likely, produced BY the Bruins organization... but saw a clip of what it's like to be a new draft pick in Boston and they work so had at instilling a pride and hard work thing and reinforcing if not flat out brainwashing them into believing they're playing for the best sports franchise on this earth... and I guess they have the history to back it up to a certain extent, being an original 6 team and having championships.

What do we have to point at to anyone... oh yah legacy... I mean we retired Stan Smyl's jersey ffs... guy would have been a 3rd line plug on most other teams of the era. Not exactly the kind of stuff that makes a kid go wowwwww I'm so lucky to be here.

More like "Okay... cool... so where's the best sushi place and night spot?" "Does it always rain this much here?"

Ugh........ even newer orgs like Tampa Bay... they found success bringing in proven winners like Yzerman... somehow they got massive buy-in from all their players culture wise AND drafted/traded/signed well even without having all the nostalgia to bank on or reinforce their rhetoric...

Canucks have Benning, an AHL defenceman and a gritty ex-power forward with a limited skillset.
Yup, being a fan of one of the best run NFL teams and the worst run NHL teams, it's quite a contrast in how they operate.

Maybe I have to find a new NHL team?

I had several in the 90's, my #1 was the Nordiques, #2 was Bruins.. But it would feel so weird now
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #1307
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
good lawd, we won a game!
Spoiler!
Old 11-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #1308

Should have watched that instead of the Seahawks sucking

This might be where the Canucks' easy schedule comes into play.. Best possible chance for a turnaround
Old 11-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #1309
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It seems it was the first time in many years we beat MTL
Old 11-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #1310

How the hell did MTL get to the finals last year ... ?? Price makes THAT much of a difference?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #1311
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
Montreal started pretty abysmal last year too up until about this portion of the season... but somehow they figured out how to play the only other few teams they played. Carried their momentum into the playoffs and their younger players rejuvenated everyone so they flew really high until they ran into some American teams.

Price is a huge factor though... it wouldn't be so noticeable if they had good goaltending... but Allen is absolutely terrible as a starter and has been for many years now and Montembeault is just warming a seat.

I really do think the Canadiens are nothing without Price in net... Weber is missed on the defence too even in his declined state, but he's a steadying presence much like a certain Canuck we've all been talking about. There's also bound to be some hangover, you make it to the finals and then the next year some players are hungry, some are depressed... I think you can say the same for the 2012 Canucks too, they had a great regular season record but don't forget back then they played a HUGE number of games within their own division and our division was super weak in those years... once playoffs started they played like a depressed team that expected success would just be given to them and got bounced by the Kings in 5 games.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #1312

MTL was Cinderella that's why

Quote:
Montreal started pretty abysmal last year too up until about this portion of the season... but somehow they figured out how to play the only other few teams they played. Carried their momentum into the playoffs and their younger players rejuvenated everyone so they flew really high until they ran into some American teams.

Price is a huge factor though... it wouldn't be so noticeable if they had good goaltending... but Allen is absolutely terrible as a starter and has been for many years now and Montembeault is just warming a seat.

I really do think the Canadiens are nothing without Price in net... Weber is missed on the defence too even in his declined state, but he's a steadying presence much like a certain Canuck we've all been talking about. There's also bound to be some hangover, you make it to the finals and then the next year some players are hungry, some are depressed... I think you can say the same for the 2012 Canucks too, they played like a depressed team not one that was hungry to try again.
Add injuries to heal, possible surgeries and players leaving the team. In recent memory I can only think of Pittsburgh going to back to back finals twice. Other than Tampa of course, if that even counts
Old 11-29-2021, 08:49 PM   #1313
Performance Moderator

Players sometimes burn so bright for a very short time... look at Matt Murray... fuckin guy won 2 cups in a row in 16/17 and now he's heading to the AHL at 27 years old. Did he just forget how to play goal? Seems like he might have some personal/possible substance abuse issues (just my guess based on some leave of absence moments) but STILL... crazy...
Old 11-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #1314

Second guessed himself when Boeser kept lighting him up LOL
Old 11-30-2021, 01:46 AM   #1315
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I think winning the cup back to back in your first two seasons fucks with you. Some players just lose motivation once they win a championship and work becomes a paycheque to them.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2021, 06:50 AM   #1316
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
i think with murray it went to his head. thought he was king shit when it was mostly the team around him that made him look great out there. without them, he's the giver of hat tricks lol. i'd say poor guy but he's been an arrogant prick all along.
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #1317

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
MTL was Cinderella that's why

Add injuries to heal, possible surgeries and players leaving the team. In recent memory I can only think of Pittsburgh going to back to back finals twice. Other than Tampa of course, if that even counts
MTL basically lost 3 players that plays the most important minutes for them and wasn't able to replace them properly.

Centre - Danault / JK
Defence - Weber
Goalie - Price

Danault played the match ups etc...Dvorak as good as a replacement he can be, just not enough?

Same with Canucks I guess? Unable to replace Suter / Beagle on the PK. Hell even Louie helped in that department.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #1318

Which of the three would you pin on Bergervin? Danault ... not signing him? The others are not on him, I think ... but maybe the chemistry was really affected with those 3 gone.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #1319
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Honestly with Bergevin I could kinda live with him as he is kinda the cool muscle guy, charismatic, he can at least explain his moves

Dim Jim is just a complete fucking dud
Old 11-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #1320
Performance Moderator

They didn't have cap room for Danault... nevermind the fact, yes, Danault has certain intangibles.............. but do you sign a 24 point guy to $5M a season because he's good defensively?

Dvorak is a suitable replacement, and they acted instantly to get him.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #1321
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Holy cow 8mil @ 8 years for Jack Hughes.

Massive overpayment
Old 11-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #1322

Old 11-30-2021, 02:01 PM   #1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Holy cow 8mil @ 8 years for Jack Hughes.

Massive overpayment
That's ridiculous. He's got a total of 52 points in his first 2 seasons, has played 2 games this season, and is on the IR.... What the hell are they smoking??

If that gets you $8mil for 8 years, Brock and Petey are going to be fucking PAID on their next contract.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #1324
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
That's ridiculous. He's got a total of 52 points in his first 2 seasons, has played 2 games this season, and is on the IR.... What the hell are they smoking??

If that gets you $8mil for 8 years, Brock and Petey are going to be fucking PAID on their next contract.
If Brock and Petey keep playing the way they are, they will not be getting PAID on their next contract
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #1325
Performance Moderator

Refs and players swear at each other all the time.

Fleury said "It's such a bad fucking call" before he went in the box...

I've heard the players swearing at refs in Canucks games this season too...
Closed Thread