REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-26-2022, 03:05 PM   #226
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
^ there's news and updates everywhere. Tiktok, youtube, twitch..
Advertisement
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #227
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Here we go

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/sta...10567397765121

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active.. Are you all just watching the news and not posting? Or nobody really cares anymore? Canucks threads are dead but they're more active than this
I'm reading everything posted however I don't know what to say that adds anything of value. I'm Ukrainian, my great Grandpa came here from Kiev and became a farmer in Sask, I have distant relatives still there.

I was reading articles today and watching the news by myself on the couch with tears down my cheeks because the whole situation is just so sad. I'm hoping for the best expecting the worst, nobody can doubt the their heart.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #228
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,053 Posts
just came through town past the march for ukraine

huge props to the many "russian ship - go fuck yourself" signs.

first time I've ever gotten caught in a demonstration and actually been pretty stoked about it.

not much china news today. like many of you, I'm very interested to see how they play all this.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #229
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #230
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
^ there's news and updates everywhere. Tiktok, youtube, twitch..
Not talking about getting news, talking about discussing it...

I know this place isn't as busy as it once was, but this seems more like apathy than people simply moving on to talking about it on reddit and twitter.

Or maybe people just watch tick tock now and don't want to talk about it, it's entertainment for them? I don't understand tick tock that's for sure
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #231
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Here we go

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/sta...10567397765121

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active.. Are you all just watching the news and not posting? Or nobody really cares anymore? Canucks threads are dead but they're more active than this
I'm mainly in this thread for the news. Every now and then throughout the day, I would google "Ukraine" just to see if there's any big breakthrough news.

I'll be honest, besides knowing that war is bad and Putin/Russia basically just pissed off most of the world, I don't really know any more about this war. I was never good at understanding the politics and whenever I try to read up on it, I get this entire backstory that, tbh, is a bit overwhelming to read. Although these kind of situations are complicated, I just don't think I know enough about the situation to be able to add any value in a serious discussion. The most I can do is just share some video clips or news articles.

At the risk of sounding dumb and asking this now at 10 pages deep, why is Putin even evading Ukraine? What's his justification in his perspective? I read he's accusing Ukraine of being Nazi-like or something like that. I don't see how attacking Ukraine resolves this.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:06 PM   #232
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
I scan this thread, the official Ukrainian war reddit page and Ukrainian YouTube channel for vids and updates every few hours. Keeps me more interested than I would be staring at my crypto portfolio
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #233
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,416 Times in 5,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
I scan this thread, the official Ukrainian war reddit page and Ukrainian YouTube channel for vids and updates every few hours. Keeps me more interested than I would be staring at my crypto portfolio
Or watching the Canucks on a Thursday night
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I'm mainly in this thread for the news. Every now and then throughout the day, I would google "Ukraine" just to see if there's any big breakthrough news.

I'll be honest, besides knowing that war is bad and Putin/Russia basically just pissed off most of the world, I don't really know any more about this war. I was never good at understanding the politics and whenever I try to read up on it, I get this entire backstory that, tbh, is a bit overwhelming to read. Although these kind of situations are complicated, I just don't think I know enough about the situation to be able to add any value in a serious discussion. The most I can do is just share some video clips or news articles.

At the risk of sounding dumb and asking this now at 10 pages deep, why is Putin even evading Ukraine? What's his justification in his perspective? I read he's accusing Ukraine of being Nazi-like or something like that. I don't see how attacking Ukraine resolves this.
You can read an explainer on Putin's version of reality that justifies this RT.com

TLDR: Ukraine wanted to go more towards EU than Russia, the revolution happened and pro-Russians got kicked from power. Two separatist factions were set up by Russia in two cities, and Ukraine considers them terrorist groups. Russia considers them territories that want to leave Ukraine and join Russia. And now this.

If you read about the two groups and how they behave, you'll see why it's bullshit. And they are more Nazis than anything since the actual Nazi party.

Quote:
Alleged members of the Donetsk Republic carrying the flag of the Russian Federation, passed out a leaflet to Jews that informed all Jews over the age of 16 that they would have to report to the Commissioner for Nationalities in the Donetsk Regional Administration building and register their property and religion. It also claimed that Jews would be charged a $50 'registration fee'. If they did not comply, they would have their citizenship revoked, face 'forceful expulsion' and see their assets confiscated
Quote:
The News of Donbas reported that members of the Donbas People's Militia engaged in assaults and robbery on the Romani population of Sloviansk. The armed separatists beat women and children, looted homes, and carried off the stolen goods in trucks, according to eyewitnesses. Romani have fled en masse to live with relatives in other parts of the country, fearing ethnic cleansing, displacement and murder.
Quote:
On 8 June 2014, it was reported that armed militants from the Donetsk Republic attacked a gay club in the capital of Donetsk, injuring several. Witnesses said 20 people forced their way into the club, stealing jewellery and other valuables; the assailants fired shots in the club, and several people were hurt.

In July 2015, a DPR Ministry of Information spokeswoman stated "there are no gays in Donetsk, as they all went to Kyiv".

In 2015, the Deputy Minister of Political Affairs of the Donetsk People's Republic stated: "A culture of homosexuality is spreading ... This is why we must kill anyone who is involved in this."
And so on
Old 02-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #235

Swiss people trying to get their government to sanction Russia. Sanctions from them would obviously hold a lot of power

This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2022, 07:55 PM   #236
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Or watching the Canucks on a Thursday night
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:15 PM   #237
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,021 Posts
I don't have anything to add but just watch the news and see if you guys come up with anything that I haven't seen. RS is still pretty up there in terms of finding things and being up to date.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #238
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
"russian ship - go fuck yourself"
I can't even imagine what they must've been going through from the time they sent that message to the time the ship started firing.

Quote:
iirc he was claiming that Ukraine was committing a genocide of the Russians in Ukraine, specifically in the two provinces that Russia has been fiddling with since 2014. Which is bs.

According to Macron (the President of France), the Putin he met in 2021 was "not the man he met 2 years ago." So who knows what's really going on in Putins head.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:02 PM   #239

Oh this is big, Ukraine is forming a Foreign Legion, so people can join the fight under Ukraine rather than their own country.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:16 PM   #240
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
News coming out the Ukrainians killed chechen general tushayev.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:55 PM   #241

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
56 tanks? Holy shit. Obviously the numbers are going to be dodgy at best right now but from the sounds of it the Russians are taking far more casualties than the Ukrainians right now.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:01 PM   #242
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,063 Times in 554 Posts
Quote:

Not saying what Putin is doing is justified... but to make the situation more "understand-able"

Imagine that China has make great efforts and struck a deal with Canada and Mexico, that they can station their troops and tanks there. They tell USA that "there is nothing to worry about". We are just stationing our troops and military in Canada and Mexico for their own defences. Being USA in this position, would you feel threatened?

Ukraine is the Canada/Mexico in this situation, and you guessed it Russia is USA. And the "deal" was that Ukraine is gonna join NATO... paving way for NATO forces to be stationed in Ukraine, and Putin sees NATO is mainly controlled by the US... So yea...

The long explanation is really summed up nicely in this vid, it's a great watch...

Its hard to imagine the vid above is from 2015, but it sums up the current situation perfectly....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier

Last edited by dark0821; 02-27-2022 at 01:35 AM.
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #243
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Ghost of Kiev
SnK1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2022, 12:06 AM   #244

Here's a good video explaining why Putin "might" invade Ukraine (as it came out about 3 weeks before it happened). It explains the situation going all the way back to the empire days.

dark0821 explained it pretty much above. They are worried about being next to a NATO country with no defense. So instead of saying "shit maybe we should make peace with those people so we can live harmoniously without actually having to worry about our border", they just invaded them.

This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #245
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
I'd say I'm also in the group of people who don't have much to add to this conversation. That isn't necessarily as bad thing though because I (and I'm sure many others) first need to learn about what has led to all of this happening. I've watched a few videos on youtube explaining what Putin's motivations might be. Seems like large reserves of natural gas in Ukraine are a likely reason (among many others). This of course, is also related to the take over of Crimea.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:40 AM   #246

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Ukraine has over 20K Indian students studying there. Khalsa Aid who has been there since day 1 is reporting some have had to walk over 30 KM to reach the boarder. Women have been allowed to cross into Poland but it seems some of the males are not allowed to enter.

Video of one of the rest stops set up by locals to help the people walking.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #247
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,563 Times in 1,712 Posts
From what I've been reading it sounds like logistics have been Russia's biggest problem thus far. Hence their tanks being left behind with no fuel, etc.

The intel that Ukraine is getting from NATO has also been a massive factor, they're essentially being fed information in terms of where Russia is moving at any point. It really sounds as though they're taking Russia to task here.

Perhaps we've all been fooled in terms of Russia's actual military strength, from what it looks like, their army is antiquated and underfunded/equipped.

This whole war could end up being one big embarrassment for Russia, showing the world their true weaknesses (outside of nukes of course).
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:42 PM   #248
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
From what I've been reading it sounds like logistics have been Russia's biggest problem thus far. Hence their tanks being left behind with no fuel, etc.

The intel that Ukraine is getting from NATO has also been a massive factor, they're essentially being fed information in terms of where Russia is moving at any point. It really sounds as though they're taking Russia to task here.

Perhaps we've all been fooled in terms of Russia's actual military strength, from what it looks like, their army is antiquated and underfunded/equipped.

This whole war could end up being one big embarrassment for Russia, showing the world their true weaknesses (outside of nukes of course).
It seems that Putin (and his yes men) assumed that they'd be welcomed with open arms so that all they had to do was roll in and depose Zelensky and team. Instead the Ukrainians have been way more courageous than I think anyone expected. They're still outgunned and outmanned but not so much that the Russians will just cruise in - rule of thumb I've read is that you need a 3 to 1 advantage when you're invading to win quickly and right now it's not too far from 1 to 1.

It also seems like the Ukrainian's courage (particularly Zelensky) has caused the Europeans and Americans to be willing to get involved - the EU/US probably assumed that the Ukrainians would get crushed in a few days so they didn't want to throw in with them but now with the line holding the betting changes and next thing you know the sanctions are legit and weapons are headed to Ukraine. NATO may not put troops there but weapons (and supplies) will make a huge difference. NATO probably figures that if this drags out that it's crippling to Putin and they have all the leverage over Putin (whereas they were probably afraid of Putin cutting them off from all the oil and gas).
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #249
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,563 Times in 1,712 Posts
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...ment-1.4813571

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...b2024175.html#

I've heard reports of black students/immigrants being treated poorly and denied entry on trains, border entry in Poland.

Seems as though Eastern Europeans still keep one thing consistent -- their rampant racist bullshit.

I'm not going to lie, I've had some bad experiences with Russians, and Ukrainians, anecdotally (the latter to a lesser degree).

Part of me sympathizes with them, part of me could give a fuck, I'll be honest.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2022, 01:15 PM   #250
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
They understood what Germany & Paris has gone with rampant crimes of ghetto people there.

they are extremely worried about it happening again.

nothing new to be honest.