REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #176
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
More than half of Ukraine considers themselves to be Russian, and Russia Considers all Ukrainians to be Russian, they're not going to fk up the people, just the govt.

Zelensky knows he's already lost but now he's trying to drag Ukrainians down with him by forcing them to stay and asking for foreign nationals to come in and fight a dirty urban war, it's chilling that anyone can see Zelensky as brave/heroic, he isn't fighting for his people, he's fighting for himself

Edited for presidents name fk up
Reminder that Ukrainian citizens protested for many months when their government didn't sign for closer ties with the EU, instead choosing closer ties with Russia. That evolved into a full on popular revolution, and the president and his people were ousted (many committed suicide).

This is when Russia started covertly supporting the separatist movement, and then took Crimea

Also anecdotally growing up I had several Ukrainian friends and they'd be very quick to correct you if you called them Russian but everyone is different with this...

I don't know where you get "more than half" whatever, but it must be a weirdly worded poll or only done in the separatist regions or something. Ukraine has spent all this time trying to get out from under Russia's thumb, they finally succeeded, and now you think they all want to go back?
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #177
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
More than half of Ukraine considers themselves to be Russian, and Russia Considers all Ukrainians to be Russian, they're not going to fk up the people, just the govt.

Zelensky knows he's already lost but now he's trying to drag Ukrainians down with him by forcing them to stay and asking for foreign nationals to come in and fight a dirty urban war, it's chilling that anyone can see Zelensky as brave/heroic, he isn't fighting for his people, he's fighting for himself

Edited for presidents name fk up
Definitely one of the stupidest posts I’ve seen on this forum.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #178
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
China has also come out saying Ukraine's sovereignty should be respected.

Swiss banks have started to actually do something with the sanctions.

Russian officials have signed an open letter condemning the invasion.

if the three parties above have turned on you, you done fucked up.
From what I'm observing on China's internet, it seems that China is indeed against this war. Little to no censorship is occurring regardless which stance one's taking on the Russian-Ukraine situation.

I believe the reason is because of the way Russia is starting this whole thing... it's suggesting that Eastern Ukraine (a territory) supports independence from Ukraine. Even though we know it's pure BS by Russia.

This goes against China's claim on Taiwan that it doesn't matter what Taiwan thinks. Should they support Russia's way of doing things, China would look ridiculous to contradict itself to NOT let Taiwan's people decide their own fate should they somehow seek independence.

So, it's interesting how this is panning out.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #179
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts

Kinda felt like that today, felt sad for people while I’m chilling at Deer Lake baked and cruising for a beer. Sucks that people have to go through shit like this

Old 02-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #180

China has restricted its banks from lending to Russia

Trudeau and others calling for revocation of access to SWIFT (international banking)

Switzerland freezing bank accounts

Computer chip industry halting shipments into Russia

Kazakhstan denies Russia's request for troops

You think it's a statement that China is denying any support of Russia - Kazakhstan is their biggest ally and even they want nothing to do with it.

Trump must be so jealous as how successful Putin is at destroying his own country.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:32 PM   #181

Hooooooooooly shit

Old 02-25-2022, 06:05 PM   #182
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Reminder that Ukrainian citizens protested for many months when their government didn't sign for closer ties with the EU, instead choosing closer ties with Russia. That evolved into a full on popular revolution, and the president and his people were ousted (many committed suicide).

This is when Russia started covertly supporting the separatist movement, and then took Crimea

Also anecdotally growing up I had several Ukrainian friends and they'd be very quick to correct you if you called them Russian but everyone is different with this...

I don't know where you get "more than half" whatever, but it must be a weirdly worded poll or only done in the separatist regions or something. Ukraine has spent all this time trying to get out from under Russia's thumb, they finally succeeded, and now you think they all want to go back?
It's from the John Mearsheimer lecture posted

Yes there's a divide between nationalists and those supporting Russia, but again, Russia sees all Ukrainians as Russian so they wouldn't be targeting them en masse/directly as evidenced.

With Zelensky arming citizens and trying to get them to stay and fight he's trying to make Russia target citizens like America does (all of age males are considered enemy combatants) and that will cause the world to act out more against Russia
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:37 PM   #183

Quote:
It's from the John Mearsheimer lecture posted

Yes there's a divide between nationalists and those supporting Russia, but again, Russia sees all Ukrainians as Russian so they wouldn't be targeting them en masse/directly as evidenced.

With Zelensky arming citizens and trying to get them to stay and fight he's trying to make Russia target citizens like America does (all of age males are considered enemy combatants) and that will cause the world to act out more against Russia
You got it backwards I think

Ukraine is lasting as long as it is because people are willing to step up and fight in numbers Russia didn't expect. They are doing this without direct help from NATO or EU (but that may be coming who knows) Their president is still there decked out in military gear, and they're willing to stand with him and fight until they are overwhelmed or Russia gives up. This is an easy one to get people to fight for, because there is a clear right and wrong. This is literally an evil action done by an evil person.

And yes there are Russian backed separatists, but not "over half" obviously, or the invasion would have been over after a few hours.

Even if they do succeed, it will be almost impossible to occupy Ukraine. That's why Zelensky is arming citizens, not to "make civilians into targets".
Old 02-25-2022, 06:40 PM   #184

Good thread here on the actual combat tactics (tweet #8 references what I was talking about above)

Old 02-25-2022, 07:15 PM   #185
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
It's widely believed that the Russia military was not prepared for/lied to by the Russian command regarding the amount of resistance. Perhaps Russian truly believed that it was going to be a walk in the park.

With that being said it's still expected that the Ukraine military won't last more than a month as Russia held the first strike advantage, numbers advantage, and equipment advantage. In the slim slim chance that Ukraine manages to beat Russia back, what happens? Does Putin throw a fit and just nuke Kyiv instead? Or they come back for more?
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #186
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Any country that pulls the nuke card when they think they might not get their way are fucking scum. What a fucked up thing to threaten people with.

As much as I think the USA has been fucked up lately it's times like these I'm glad they blow so much money on national defence.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 07:24 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
It's widely believed that the Russia military was not prepared for/lied to by the Russian command regarding the amount of resistance. Perhaps Russian truly believed that it was going to be a walk in the park.
They believed the same propaganda as Stylin
Old 02-25-2022, 09:12 PM   #188
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Guy, this is just straight up false.

The world is already acting out against Russia, because they invaded a fucking country, not because it's president called its own citizens to defend their home.

You seem to be implying Zelensky has some personal agenda, but the guy is showing tremendous courage and leadership in something that can very well end up with him dying.

You're obviously entitled to think what you want, but your perception here seems insanely skewed.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:21 PM   #189
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,450 Times in 5,113 Posts
Nobody is acting out against Russian people anyway… pretty much the whole world hates Putin… all his political poisoning assassinations and attempts… the public crushing of gay rights with Pussy Riot… his obvious threats to families of famous athletes who don’t tow the party line even when they’re living abroad… living in Immense riches while the country suffers economically.

The guys a Grade A asshole and always has been.

People say Fuck Putin… even when they say Fuck Russia they mean Fuck Putin’s Russia.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:22 PM   #190

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
found a youtube channel with the latest videos coming out of the country.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXZ...qm3GgVA/videos
Old 02-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #191

Zelensky rejects US offer of evacuation, says he needs anti-tank munitions, not a ride.

Russia has brought mobile crematoriums to the front lines, most believe it's to burn their own who die, and to cover up civilian casualties.

Also, Ukraine has held onto Kyiv overnight, incredible.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8645150/u...medium=Twitter
Old 02-25-2022, 11:05 PM   #192
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
From what I am seeing on social media Ukrainian citizens are arming up and are ready to fight. I don't think the Russians have the will to fight. I don't think this is going to end quick.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:05 PM   #193

You think Trudeau is cool for walking across a street? This guy held the line overnight after declining being pulled out to safety. Dude is basically Captain Ukraine. If he dies, which is quite likely, he's going to be a martyr.

Quote:
"There's a lot of fake information online that I call on our army to lay down arms, and that there's evacuation,"

"I'm here. We won't lay down our arms. We will defend our state. Glory to Ukraine."
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 11:16 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You think Trudeau is cool for walking across a street? This guy held the line overnight after declining being pulled out to safety. Dude is basically Captain Ukraine. If he dies, which is quite likely, he's going to be a martyr.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/stat...50853380280320
What's really crazy is that he was a comedian. Everyone was in disbelief when he got elected, and look where we are.

Putin essentially elevated this guy to national hero status.

The mayor of Kyiv is also making headlines for staying to fight, and the guy is a former heavyweight boxing champion.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:19 PM   #195
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Guy, this is just straight up false.

The world is already acting out against Russia, because they invaded a fucking country, not because it's president called its own citizens to defend their home.

You seem to be implying Zelensky has some personal agenda, but the guy is showing tremendous courage and leadership in something that can very well end up with him dying.

Zelensky fighting with the people, while Putin is chilling somewhere safe. Shows how much Ukrainian want freedom, shows a true leader. Sad Russian solider will die in vain for something so evil and twisted.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:34 PM   #196

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...on-of-ukraine/

Quote:
Russian military commits indiscriminate attacks during the invasion of Ukraine
• Amnesty International research verifies violations in international humanitarian law
• Russian attacks could constitute war crimes
• Russian claims to use precision guided weapons are patently false

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has been marked by indiscriminate attacks on civilian areas and strikes on protected objects such as hospitals, Amnesty International said today, after documenting three incidents that it believes to have killed at least six civilians and injured at least 12 more. Indiscriminate attacks violate international humanitarian law (the laws of war) and can constitute war crimes.

“The Russian military has shown a blatant disregard for civilian lives by using ballistic missiles and other explosive weapons with wide area effects in densely populated areas. Some of these attacks may be war crimes. The Russian government, which falsely claims to use only precision-guided weapons, should take responsibility for these acts,” said Agnès Callamard, Amnesty International’s Secretary General.

In the deadliest strike documented by Amnesty International, at approximately 10.30 am local time, a ballistic missile struck near a hospital building in Vuhledar, in Donetsk region, eastern Ukraine, killing four civilians and wounding ten more. According to a local source who spoke to Amnesty International researchers, two women and two men were killed, and six healthcare workers were among the injured. Analyzing photos of the weapon scrap linked to the incident, Amnesty International’s weapons investigator determined that a 9M79 Tochka ballistic missile was used in the attack. These weapons are extremely inaccurate, regularly missing their targets by half a kilometre or more and should never be used in populated areas.

Another of the attacks was carried out at approximately 8 am local time, in the Kharkiv region, northeastern Ukraine. The likely target was the nearby Chuhuiv Air Base, but instead Russian weapon struck a residential block, causing extensive fire damage and apparently killing at least one male civilian and injuring at least two civilian women. A single large crater in the ground between apartment buildings indicates the weapon was most likely a single large missile or rocket.

In another attack occurring at 7 am on the 24 February in Uman, Cherkasy region, a civilian man appears to have been killed by a strike that also damaged a nearby restaurant.
ANYONE defending Russia in this thread is an asshole.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2022, 12:41 AM   #197
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
The mayor of Kyiv is also making headlines for staying to fight, and the guy is a former heavyweight boxing champion.

He and his brother were both world champions and are worth well over 100 million. His brother has a kid with actress Hayden Panettiere. Will all that money they could have just left but they both chose to stay and fight. They both also have PHD's
Old 02-26-2022, 12:50 AM   #198

Yeah the Klitschko brothers aren't just 'former boxers', they are two of the biggest boxing stars ever. Megastars throughout all Europe. Vitali boxed for 10 years after becoming a politician He was one of the leaders of the protests and revolution I posted about earlier.

These guys are the opposite of Canadian truckers.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:31 AM   #199

Old 02-26-2022, 06:08 AM   #200