REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #151
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Ukraine isn’t Afghanistan. These people live normal lives not holed up in some rat cage somewhere.

An AK isn’t much of a match for tanks rolling through town with shells the size of your thigh when push comes to shove.
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #152
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
This already says it Gucci gang > Ukraine. What are you gonna do? fill your gas tank with water? The Western gov already has to deal with the rising fuel prices. = Inflation on everything. Cancelling all those pipelines sure was a good idea wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
I mean Russia's been under sanctions since 2014 and that has achieved...? Has sanctions ever really dissuaded dictatorial regimes? (Iran, North Korea etc.) At best, sanctions work over a long period of time and the brunt of economic harm will be borne on the average citizen.

EU doesn't even want to kick Russia off of SWIFT. Apparently there are also reports that Mario Draghi (former head of European Central Banks) carved out Italian luxury goods from EU's package of economic sanctions to shield their economy and Belgium's diamond industry is also not included in the package of sanctions. So yea... Putin must be really impressed at our resolve in deterring him. https://twitter.com/Barnes_Joe/statu...94009038626842
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #153
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Ukraine isn’t Afghanistan. These people live normal lives not holed up in some rat cage somewhere.

An AK isn’t much of a match for tanks rolling through town with shells the size of your thigh when push comes to shove.
Should tell that to the 'muricans.

Also, real life isn't call of duty either. the 20 year olds driving those tanks are human beings, and when they realize they're part of waging a war by an egomaniac lunatic with nuclear launch codes, they start having fundamental doubts. Some are surrendering.

You can sit there and analyze firepower all you want, but the reality is a majority of Ukrainians have seen and lived through war, and they are a relatively young nation - and they will fight.

If Trudeau asked you to send your family away while you fight off an American invasion, what would you do?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #154
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
What are your thoughts on this article?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=entnewsntp

What is needed now is a policy of containment and the reassurance of NATO and EU members. Russia needs to feel real deterrence against any further military escalation which brings home to Putin the cost of sustaining this adventurism. The latter would involve further increasing sanctions on Russia — including on Putin and his inner circle and their wider families — and everything that will support Ukraine militarily, but, for now at least, short of actual troop deployments by western countries.

It will also be important to co-operate, as much as possible, with China as part of this process. Relations between China and the West may not be at their warmest, but both sides share an interest in stability in the region where China has made significant investments through its Belt and Road Initiative over the past decade. China has repeatedly balanced its support for Russian demands for a new European security order with an emphasis on the importance of respecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of states.

Thus, it is by no means inevitable that China will offer a potential “lifeline” to Russia in terms of economic and financial support once western sanctions begin to bite, as well as by offering Putin political and diplomatic backing at the UN and in other regional and international forums. While it is unlikely that China will openly side with the West against Russia, it could play a vital role of pushing Russia towards a return to diplomacy out of self-interest, given its substantial investments in Ukraine.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #155
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
It may be me getting older or what not.. but this war has kept me up at night two nights in a row already.

One thing is sorrow for Ukraine people, then another feeling of dread.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #156
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
There’s a lot of Canadian connection to Ukraine. Lots of my friends and my wife’s family are from Ukraine. I believe we have the highest Ukrainian population in the world outside Ukraine and Russia.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 10:35 AM   #157
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
It may be me getting older or what not.. but this war has kept me up at night two nights in a row already.

I can feel something as well ... a sense of despair and overall pessimism for the how the world is turning out. I think for many, this International crisis will raise the already heightened stress on our mental and emotional health.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #158
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:

Afghanistan only became a shithole after russia attacked. This is before Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Should tell that to the 'muricans.

Also, real life isn't call of duty either. the 20 year olds driving those tanks are human beings, and when they realize they're part of waging a war by an egomaniac lunatic with nuclear launch codes, they start having fundamental doubts. Some are surrendering.

You can sit there and analyze firepower all you want, but the reality is a majority of Ukrainians have seen and lived through war, and they are a relatively young nation - and they will fight.

If Trudeau asked you to send your family away while you fight off an American invasion, what would you do?
Fight LOL!!!. Honda would be one of the first to help the americans. "I'm so glad you are here now we can get rid of that commie JT and get are freeedumbs back".
Old 02-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #159
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/st...PeCVfar6A&s=19

Ukrainian woman confronts Russian soldiers in Henychesk, Kherson region. Asks them why they came to our land and urges to put sunflower seeds in their pockets [so that flowers would grow when they die on the Ukrainian land]
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #160
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
More than half of Ukraine considers themselves to be Russian, and Russia Considers all Ukrainians to be Russian, they're not going to fk up the people, just the govt.

Zelensky knows he's already lost but now he's trying to drag Ukrainians down with him by forcing them to stay and asking for foreign nationals to come in and fight a dirty urban war, it's chilling that anyone can see Zelensky as brave/heroic, he isn't fighting for his people, he's fighting for himself

Edited for presidents name fk up

Last edited by StylinRed; 02-25-2022 at 11:40 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
More than half of Ukraine considers themselves to be Russian, and Russia Considers all Ukrainians to be Russian, they're not going to fk up the people, just the govt.

Yushchenko knows he's already lost but now he's trying to drag Ukrainians down with him by forcing them to stay and asking for foreign nationals to come in and fight a dirty urban war, it's chilling that anyone can see Yushchenko as brave/heroic, he isn't fighting for his people, he's fighting for himself
Uh, so Russians troops are hitting civilian targets (whether ordered to or not, is unknown), so you're wrong there.

Also "more than half of Ukraine...", source? Because literally everything else says otherwise.

Lastly, Yushchenko isn't the president...so not sure where that came from.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #162
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Uhm... in 1991, a full 92.3% of Ukrainians voted for the declaration of independence from Russia... now you're saying more than half the population is sympathetic to Russian interests? I very much doubt that.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #163
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
I obviously harbour no warm feelings towards Communist China, but that is borne out of an understanding of their lying ways.

Communist China is a snake that will back out on their word as soon as it is no longer convenient or beneficial for them to continue with it. Partnering with them now to contain Russia will be identical to the Western Allies back in WW2 to partner with Soviet Union to fight Nazi Germany. Just as USSR's aim was to seek gains for itself back then, Communist China would only have its own interests in mind. Even now, it is establishing more ties with Russia only because China needs them to protect itself against Western isolation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
What are your thoughts on this article?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=entnewsntp

What is needed now is a policy of containment and the reassurance of NATO and EU members. Russia needs to feel real deterrence against any further military escalation which brings home to Putin the cost of sustaining this adventurism. The latter would involve further increasing sanctions on Russia — including on Putin and his inner circle and their wider families — and everything that will support Ukraine militarily, but, for now at least, short of actual troop deployments by western countries.

It will also be important to co-operate, as much as possible, with China as part of this process. Relations between China and the West may not be at their warmest, but both sides share an interest in stability in the region where China has made significant investments through its Belt and Road Initiative over the past decade. China has repeatedly balanced its support for Russian demands for a new European security order with an emphasis on the importance of respecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of states.

Thus, it is by no means inevitable that China will offer a potential “lifeline” to Russia in terms of economic and financial support once western sanctions begin to bite, as well as by offering Putin political and diplomatic backing at the UN and in other regional and international forums. While it is unlikely that China will openly side with the West against Russia, it could play a vital role of pushing Russia towards a return to diplomacy out of self-interest, given its substantial investments in Ukraine.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:16 AM   #164
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Re: Ukrainians who consider themselves Russian

This is mostly anecdotal but there are a number of Ukrainians who grew up under the Soviet Ukraine and there will often be a split/divide of those who consider themselves Russian first, then Ukrainian. I live in a community with a dominant Ukrainian population and "most" of them declare themselves as Russian first and when you peel back the onion, they will say they are Ukrainian. We've had some interesting chats over the past few days, so to say the least.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #165
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Wow.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #166
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I keep hearing random news stories of Russian military troops not fighting, and submitting to Ukraine soldiers.

I guess a lot are realizing they are fighting their own brothers. It's sickening in this day and age.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #167
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Uh, so Russians troops are hitting civilian targets (whether ordered to or not, is unknown), so you're wrong there.

Also "more than half of Ukraine...", source? Because literally everything else says otherwise.

Lastly, Yushchenko isn't the president...so not sure where that came from.
I've posted the source a few times in here it's in the lecture vid, it's covered at the very beginning of the lecture video, slight majority identify as Russian, and even vote/poll on subjects aligned to Russia

Civilian sites aren't being targeted though we see that, sure some may get hit during the battle, as with any invasion

Lmao I don't know why I thought Yushchenko was still president lmao, fucked up there, imma pass it off as morning grogginess tho
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #168

LCBO banning all russian products.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8645861/o...alcohol-vodka/
Old 02-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #169
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts

Guess whos coming to dinner?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...officials.html

https://twitter.com/MuradGazdiev/sta...HNY_K_S3QTNKpA

Some strange, conflicting information. I doubt Kadyrov can be trusted here tho.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #170
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post

I think it's the same feeling as people had during the Cold War, a feeling of uncertainty. We are heading into the second Cold War right now, with a guy at the helm in Russia who might just be crazy enough to fire one off.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #171

Genuine question, because my knowledge of nuclear weapons is limited to what's seen in movies.

If Putin really wants to fire a nuke, he can order it, but are there not human beings between him and the actual launch that could say no? Or does he have his own special button under his desk?
Old 02-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #172
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

Guess whos coming to dinner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmLLIQu13HA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...officials.html

https://twitter.com/MuradGazdiev/sta...HNY_K_S3QTNKpA

Some strange, conflicting information. I doubt Kadyrov can be trusted here tho.
Putin will just some Interior Decorators after them

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #173
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
Holy good god... the Taliban is calling for restraint from both Russia and Ukraine to resolve the crisis through peaceful means... The fxxking Taliban...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ful-means.html

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #174

China has also come out saying Ukraine's sovereignty should be respected.

Swiss banks have started to actually do something with the sanctions.

Russian officials have signed an open letter condemning the invasion.

if the three parties above have turned on you, you done fucked up.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2022, 02:06 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Holy good god... the Taliban is calling for restraint from both Russia and Ukraine to resolve the crisis through peaceful means... The fxxking Taliban...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ful-means.html

Why is that surprising?