REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
RUSSIA - UKRAINE - war or posturing? Definitely war

so what is actually going to happen over there? these 2 have been back and forth for years... are the Russians really going to invade and for what purpose?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...will-pay-high/

WWIII?

U.S. President Joe Biden predicted on Wednesday that Russian President Vladimir Putin will make a move into Ukraine and said Russia would pay dearly for a full-scale invasion, with its businesses possibly losing access to the U.S. dollar.

“My guess is he will move in,” Biden told a news conference. “He has to do something.”

The Kremlin has massed some 100,000 troops near Ukraine’s borders, a buildup that the West says is preparation for a war to prevent Ukraine from ever joining the NATO Western security alliance. Russia denies planning an invasion.

Biden told reporters he believed Putin would test Western leaders and he said that the response to any Russian invasion would depend on the scale of Moscow’s actions and whether U.S. allies squabbled over how to react.

“Russia will be held accountable if it invades - and it depends on what it does. It’s one thing if it’s a minor incursion and we end up having to fight about what to do and what to not do, et cetera,” Biden said.

“But if they actually do what they’re capable of doing ... it is going to be a disaster for Russia if they further invade Ukraine,” Biden added.

Biden and his team have prepared a broad set of sanctions and other economic penalties to impose on Russia in the event of an invasion.

Biden, pressed on what he meant by “minor incursion,” said NATO allies are not united on how to respond depending on what exactly Putin does, saying “there are differences” among them and that he was trying to make sure that “everybody’s on the same page.”

“Big nations can’t bluff, number one. Number two, the idea that we would do anything to split NATO ... would be a big mistake. So the question is, if it’s something significantly short of a significant invasion or ... just major military forces coming across. For example, it’s one thing to determine if they continue to use cyber efforts; well, we can respond the same way,” he said.

U.S. officials reject limiting NATO expansion as a non-starter, but Biden suggested there could be a deal under which the West might not station nuclear forces in Ukraine.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
In Soviet Russia vaccine invades you! Does it even matter? It's not like US can afford to do anything about it. Not their problem.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Ukraines payments to Bidens son sure seems to be paying off though

It doesn't seem like Russia wants to attack, they just don't want NATO in Ukraine

Just like the US doesn't like the idea of Russian forces in Cuba (a point they reiterated last week) they'd literally go ballistic if that happened
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:18 PM   #4
in the butt

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,180 Posts
I'm from Ukraine, and ever since 2014 when this "war" started, it's all blown out of proportion

My grandparents are still there, nothing has changed in the last 8 years

Yes there's tanks rolling thru some streets, and militia groups protecting certain areas. But overall, it's just clickbait news articles

The major change is the grivna (currency) drop, but I don't know if thats related to the "war"

They also spelled Putin wrong in the article, it's Putler

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #5
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
nothing has changed in the last 8 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexa...ian_Federation

Not since the last BIG thing that happened
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Obligatory Hell March
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
I'm from Ukraine, and ever since 2014 when this "war" started, it's all blown out of proportion

Yes there's tanks rolling thru some streets, and militia groups protecting certain areas. But overall, it's just clickbait news articles

The major change is the grivna (currency) drop, but I don't know if thats related to the "war"

I watch a couple YouTubers based in Ukraine and that seems to have been the sentiment there. They have even gone to the streets and interviewed people on the situation and most just shrug their shoulders

Then global news runs some interview of a guy who’s “on the front lines” looking like he’s in a different country saying everyone is scared of the next move etc.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #8

I know a couple guys who just came back from vacation in Ukraine, the atmosphere in the country is completely normal, they didn't even know there was this "impending doom" until they got back here

But that doesn't change the fact that theres issues going on
Old 01-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:

Could you explain why their currency has dropped?
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Average everyday people are going to live their lives like normal, it's always like that. Even during active conflicts, unless their homes are actually being destroyed, people will still work, get groceries, try to find entertainment, etc.

So no matter what is going on at the border, interviewing random people won't tell you anything other than "it's not yet an utter catastrophe"
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
At this point, I think Russia / Putin is neither planning to go to war nor posturing. Instead, it is gauging the international community -- well, mostly the Western World -- 's reaction to its Ukraine ambitions, and trying to determine what their best next step would be. If they think they can "successfully pull the stunt off", then they will take up more drastic action. If the Western World comes back with an over-the-top threat, they will look for some underhanded way to still spin a propaganda / political victory out of a military stay of action.

IMO, Russia will not be deterred if they only get slapped with sanctions. Sanctions and condemnations have been thrown at Russia for the Crimea annexation, but obviously that did not change the annexation plans one bit.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:15 PM   #12
in the butt

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzjr View Post
Could you explain why their currency has dropped?
I'm not smart enough for economics politics etc, ask my CCCP grandparents

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
RUSSIA - UKRAINE - war or posturing?

https://globalnews.ca/news/8517110/c...ne-russia/amp/

JTF2, Joint Task Force 2 is Canada’s Special Forces. Although it is a small contingent of our best soldiers, they are in Ukraine now to provide additional support to the Ukraine army.

In fact, our soldiers have been training the Ukrainian army in the art of war since 2020.

-from the article:

The Canadian Special Operations Forces Command) is part of the broader Armed Forces’ efforts to support Ukraine’s Security Forces,” wrote Maj. Amber Bineau, a spokesperson for special operations command, in a statement to Global News.

Bineau noted that Canadian special forces have been providing training, as well as “instructor and leadership expertise,” to Ukrainian counterparts since 2020 — although sources told Global News the latest special forces contingent, which left for Ukraine around Jan. 9, is not conducting training.

The unit has also been tasked with helping to develop evacuation plans for Canadian diplomatic personnel in the event of a full-scale invasion, sources said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by pastarocket; 01-21-2022 at 06:24 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #14

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Just like corporate media and covid, sponsored by Pfizer, or the media war drum for the Iraq war pt. 2, don't take establishment media at face value. Follow the money. Question everything.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:25 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Nothing is going to happen. Majority of the European Nato countries need Russian gas. Look at how they're having trouble heating their homes this winter.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Nothing is going to happen. Majority of the European Nato countries need Russian gas. Look at how they're having trouble heating their homes this winter.
I hope that you are right about a war that is not going to happen.

Things can change really quickly with geopolitical threats these days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60077776

Several European nations have now moved to bolster Nato's military deployment in eastern Europe. Spain is sending warships to join Nato naval forces in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, and Denmark also said it would send a frigate to the Baltic Sea.

French President Emmanuel Macron has offered to send troops to Romania.

Earlier this week, Britain announced it was supplying Ukraine with extra troops for training and defensive weapons.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/8517110/c...ne-russia/amp/

JTF2, Joint Task Force 2 is Canada’s Special Forces. Although it is a small contingent of our best soldiers, they are in Ukraine now to provide additional support to the Ukraine army.

In fact, our soldiers have been training the Ukrainian army in the art of war since 2020.

-from the article:

The Canadian Special Operations Forces Command) is part of the broader Armed Forces’ efforts to support Ukraine’s Security Forces,” wrote Maj. Amber Bineau, a spokesperson for special operations command, in a statement to Global News.

Bineau noted that Canadian special forces have been providing training, as well as “instructor and leadership expertise,” to Ukrainian counterparts since 2020 — although sources told Global News the latest special forces contingent, which left for Ukraine around Jan. 9, is not conducting training.

The unit has also been tasked with helping to develop evacuation plans for Canadian diplomatic personnel in the event of a full-scale invasion, sources said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Small correction, but it is CSOR units that are deployed to Ukraine not JTF2.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #18
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
What better way to rebound an economy out of Covid than a war effort?
Old 01-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #19
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
What better way to rebound an economy out of Covid than a war effort?
and to divert the Russian public's attention away from Putin's sagging public approval
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #20

Covid recovery and diversion from the source of covid being revealed

Oh damn I thought we had a tinfoil emoji? :/
Old 01-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #21

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/23/polit...aff/index.html

Somethings gonna happen !!!
Old 01-23-2022, 09:59 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:59 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
While I do hope nothing happens, just to give some perspective, nobody thought the North Koreans would actually invade South Korea in 1950, until they did.

Obviously different political/geographical scenarios, but there are similarities with local people ignoring a lot of signs shrugging it off.

Also interesting, Seoul is separated by a river much like Vancouver and the Fraser River. The first president of Korea was retreating south of the river, and he blew up the only bridge (with refugees still on it trying to flee) essentially stranding everyone who was not able to cross the river including civilians and soldiers.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukrain...sion-1.6326392

Nothings gonna happen !!!

Ukraine's leaders sought to reassure the nation that a feared invasion from neighbouring Russia was not imminent, even as they acknowledged the threat is real and prepared to accept a shipment of American military equipment Tuesday to shore up the country's defences.

Russia has denied it is planning an assault, but it has massed an estimated 100,000 troops near Ukraine in recent weeks, leading the United States and its NATO allies to rush to prepare for a possible war.

Several rounds of high stakes diplomacy have failed to yield any breakthroughs, and this week tensions escalated further. NATO said it was bolstering its deterrence in the Baltic Sea region, and the U.S. ordered 8,500 troops on higher alert to potentially deploy to Europe as part of an alliance "response force" if necessary.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #25
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Remember when the US was definitely going to war with Iran in 2020?

Remember when China was definitely going to invade Taiwan every other year in the 90s, 2000s?

Remember when Russia was definitely going to take over Georgia in 2008? and Ukraine in 2014?

Yeah, no one remembers.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote