REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #601
G
Banned (BBM)

I checked SportChek Lougheed (Holy shit that place is a complete dump!) and they only had colorways for Blackhawks/Senators, Toronto, Canadians, and random colors that don't even coordinate to a team. Mind you, there were almost no prices on half of them and over 80% were sealed in ziploc bags haha... But, for adults, they were $14.99! That's why I was just wondering if they have Canuck Colors...
Advertisement
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #602
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I checked SportChek Lougheed (Holy shit that place is a complete dump!) and they only had colorways for Blackhawks/Senators, Toronto, Canadians, and random colors that don't even coordinate to a team. Mind you, there were almost no prices on half of them and over 80% were sealed in ziploc bags haha... But, for adults, they were $14.99! That's why I was just wondering if they have Canuck Colors...
Ur best bet is to see if richmond hockey expert can special order it for u, that way u can use ur GC, they might even be able to get the pro stock too.....
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #603
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
How do you neatly tape the toe end of a stick? I find my stick is getting chipped up and want to protect it. Thanks.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #604
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I just did this on my stick for the first time so not sure if it will help.
Take some tape, and run it along the underside of the blade and run it up over the toe of the blade. Take your time to smooth out the tape and then tape the blade like you would normally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #605
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^^ Adding to that suggestion I would just tape the stick like you normally would and then cut the excess tape around the toe of the blade with a pair of scissors.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #606
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
How do you neatly tape the toe end of a stick? I find my stick is getting chipped up and want to protect it. Thanks.
Using a cheap Easton?
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #607
I bringith the lowerballerith

been playing casual roller hockey with friends for a bit now.

wanting to move onto ice

just bought the rbk sc87 5k ultra skates before xmas and did a lot of ice skating.

any place you guys recommend to get gear? i don't need super nice or fancy equipment as I'm just starting.

i already have skates shin pads gloves and stick

so i've compiled a list of things i think i need.

helmet+visor
shoulder pads
elbow pads
jock shorts
hockey pants
hockey socks
hockey bag

any good tips or opinion? should i just get it all at like sportchek or sport mart?

thanks

2005 G35 Coupe - sold

Last edited by kayceeee; 01-03-2012 at 05:07 PM.
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #608
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
sportchek works. i'm not sure about sportmart tho. theres also specialty stores like hockey shop in surrey or cyclones. they'd have everything you need and people who are knowledgeable about the product as well
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #609
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post

wanting to move onto ice

just bought the rbk sc87 5k ultra skates before xmas and did a lot of ice skating.

any place you guys recommend to get gear? i don't need super nice or fancy equipment as I'm just starting.

helmet+visor
shoulder pads
elbow pads
jock shorts
hockey pants
hockey socks
hockey bag

any good tips or opinion? should i just get it all at like sportchek or sport mart?

thanks
Craigslist if you dont mind wearing used gear. Most of a players gear can be put in a front load washing machine, so just give the gear a good wash, or get a spray bottle of oxy clean and bring in the shower. spray the gear with HOT water from the shower until the water goes clear, then spray the oxy clean and let it sit for 10 minutes. After that rinse it off again with hot water until the water goes clear.

Rinse and repeat until satisfied!
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #610

Like ^^^ said, if you don't mind used. I have shoulders and pants, they are in pretty good condition, I was thinking of selling on CL. What's your size? Also have assorted color practice jerseys in good condition as well. All cleaned and no stains or hockey stink from my gear/jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post

wanting to move onto ice

helmet+visor
shoulder pads
elbow pads
jock shorts
hockey pants
hockey socks
hockey bag

thanks
Posted via RS Mobile
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #611

Noob question. I have a pair of hand-me-down used skates (Nike Vapor XVI). Can I get these molded at SportChek/HockeyExperts? If so, how much is it?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #612

Not sure if you can heat mold used skates but I would try using a hair dryer. The skates don't need to be that hot. Just warm them up, then lace them up and walk around with them on to help remold them.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #613
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You can get them molded. Use a normal skate oven. Sportchek wont charge you for baking.

A hair dryer wont be hot enough to heat mold a pair of skates.

And when we do baking you dont walk around in them. At most stand for a few minutes, but no flexing of the skate.

Vapor XVI will soften up and only improve ever so slightly with molding. Since theyre used theyre probably broken in already and molding wont do a whole lot. The difference is much greater in higher end skates.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #614
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
theres also specialty stores like hockey shop in surrey
The hockey shop in Surrey is amazing. The whole bottom floor is goalie gear, and like a candy store to me.

I retired my old Itechs which were too wide for where I play now, and went with some 33+1 Reebok 9000 Senior pads.

Played my first game with them last night, and they're nice. Not as big as my Itechs, so I had to move in net more often, but man, it's nice to be able to move!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
You can get them molded. Use a normal skate oven. Sportchek wont charge you for baking.

A hair dryer wont be hot enough to heat mold a pair of skates.

And when we do baking you dont walk around in them. At most stand for a few minutes, but no flexing of the skate.

Vapor XVI will soften up and only improve ever so slightly with molding. Since theyre used theyre probably broken in already and molding wont do a whole lot. The difference is much greater in higher end skates.
He's not molding a brand new pair of skates, so a good quality hair dryer should make enough heat to heat the material around the ankle area. Now the question is how worn or the skates?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #616

So SportChek will bake worn skates not purchased through them for free?

They fit me pretty well already, just think it wouldn't hurt to get them baked and re-molded a bit for an even better fit.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #617
My homepage has been set to RS

i use my microwave and it works like a charm

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #618
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ LOLWUTERMELON?!

I really really wouldnt recommend that to anyone haha.

Yah we'll bake skates for free regardless. Thinking about changing the policy on that, but as of right now just bring em in.

You CAN do them at home in a normal oven, but you have to be very careful and know exactly what youre doing. So I wouldnt recommend it normally.

Make sure your ovens in convection mode, heat it to 175-200 degrees F. And make sure to keep any of the plastics off any metal. And bake for, on avg, 2-4 minutes, depending on skate.
Then lace up normally, dont need to be super tight, just snug. Then sit in them for about 15-20 minutes. You may stand but dont flex the skate.
afterwards let them cool for at least 2 hours or so before you skate on them. Cooling for 12-24 hours is best though.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #619

Damn 12-24 hours eh? I got a game Sat night was hoping to get it done Saturday morning/noon. I'll just do it Sunday, maybe. Thanks all.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #620
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Take them to the hockey shop
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #621
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Take them to the hockey shop
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm fairly certain they will charge you. Last time I checked it was $50ish for a bake iirc.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
The hockey shop in Surrey is amazing. The whole bottom floor is goalie gear, and like a candy store to me.

I retired my old Itechs which were too wide for where I play now, and went with some 33+1 Reebok 9000 Senior pads.

Played my first game with them last night, and they're nice. Not as big as my Itechs, so I had to move in net more often, but man, it's nice to be able to move!
Ya the bottom floor at the hockey shop is a candy store. The whole place is nice, to bad its out in surrey though. Bought some pro spec 33+1 revoke pads and a Bauer NME7 helmet. Most people were pretty nice to lend a hand and answer questions.

How do you like them so far? I got rid of the stock knee and thigh wraps right away. Still have not found a perfect strapping setup yet but I have only used them twice.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by TjAlmeida; 01-09-2012 at 11:26 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #623

Tj, what pads have you used so far? Which other masks did you consider before settling on the NME7?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #624

I have used a few. these finally fit me the best. Bauer one75 pads and gloves, Bauer rx9 pads with Vaughn gloves and now the revokes. All have been grest but its amazing how much the right fitting pad makes a difference. The one75's were 35"were too tall and my knee sat too low in the craddle. The rx9 are 34+2 they aee for sale right nos. the 2l thigh rise was too tall for me. Bauer definitely makes quality goalie gear. Reebok im still getting used to them.still have not found a perfect strapping setup but the one thing they are missing that I want are a calf wrap. Trying yo get in as much hockey as I can before I go work in northern Alberta. And I based nme7 on reviews and best bang for the buck. Only taken one shot to the mask and it didnt hurt one bit compared to my old mask. For 350 bucks its worth it.
I had a sportmask before it so I wanted to try something different. Going through the middle line goalie masks the nme7 stuck out. I have read good things online and my little cousin uses it and has told me good things. He plays rep hockey in Richmond.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by TjAlmeida; 01-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #625
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj.GSR View Post
Ya the bottom floor at the hockey shop is a candy store. The whole place is nice, to bad its out in surrey though. Bought some pro spec 33+1 revoke pads and a Bauer NME7 helmet. Most people were pretty nice to lend a hand and answer questions.

How do you like them so far? I got rid of the stock knee and thigh wraps right away. Still have not found a perfect strapping setup yet but I have only used them twice.
After playing 150 minutes in a double shift on wednesday night, I fell in love with the new pads. They fit so well, and while they are tiny compared to my old itechs, they allowed for much faster movement around the crease.

Funny thing, I was at the Canucks game last night and took a good look at Lu's pads. He's running 4 of the 5 straps, no calf hold, and his toe ties and ankle straps are so loose, I'm surprised he's not skating over them!

But man, can he lock down flat on the ice. It's impressive to see.

I was so happy with the hockey shop and Reebok gear that I snagged a pair of these in the proper size for me.

My old CCM were size 9.5, these are size 7.5
I can't wait to try them out.

I'm super pleased with this new purchase though.

$56 on sale at Sport's Replay right now. Super light weight compared to my old CCM and Harrow sticks, and a curve that let's me get some serious lift to clear the puck.

I like the Warrior stuff.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote