REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #426
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Has anyone had their skates profiled? I just bought some closeout x60s, and figured I should put the time in and get them contoured.

That being said, I don't know where to start. I have a general idea of what I might want/need, but would like to see if anyone has gotten anything similar to see what the results are.

I'm 5'7, 175, play as a forward. I do appreciate forward lean, but still need to skate backwards without feeling funny.

I was thinking 25/40 profile, 8' radius, neutral or very small forward pitch. Any thoughts?

TIA
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #427
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Did you happen to get your skates at Hockey Experts at richmond center? I recently sold a pair of X60s to someone about your size who didnt get them sharpened.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #428
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Yeah that's me probably LOL. (Monday afternoon)

Still shocked to find the pair that there's no buyer's remorse yet

I almost exclusively get my skates sharpened at The Hockey Shop in Surrey, hence not getting them sharpened.

Have any insight to my issue?
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #429
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Haha, if you had asked, we do profiling and contouring at our location as well. Currently only myself and one other guy(HX manager) does it. BUT unfortunately our crossgrinding stone is too worn to use the profiling jig, and the new one is still in the mail.

While profiling is pretty personal preference, and with no idea what your skating style is like, and having never seen how you skate theres no way i can give you any proper suggestions.

There is no 8' radius, we only have 7,9,11 and 13. And our pitch numbering is the blackstone numbering system (not all brands have same number system that is standard) with 0 being neutral.

I personally use 9' with #4 forward pitch, and i can skate backwards find with it, but to each their own right. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out for you when we get our new stone in, and if we're not too far from your location.

Last edited by SolidPenguin; 10-12-2011 at 06:39 PM.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #430
I don't get it

hey i need some advice on hockey sticks...

currently im using the under 80 flex bentley warrior stick and a OLD RBK shaft and a sakic wood blade

i think ispent at least $300 worth of sticks and i havent found the perfect stick for me.

specs:
5"7 w/o skates
130 pounds

i love taking slapshots and so yea... a sportchek guy recommended bauer one80... 72 flex but going to cut it down to 84flex backstrom curve which is what i want.

just wondering if there any other options...
Helga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #431
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
go set up an appointment with base hockey and they'll get you the stick that's right for you
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #432
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga View Post

currently im using the under 80 flex bentley warrior stick and a OLD RBK shaft and a sakic wood blade

i think ispent at least $300 worth of sticks and i havent found the perfect stick for me.

specs:
5"7 w/o skates
130 pounds

i love taking slapshots and so yea... a sportchek guy recommended bauer one80... 72 flex but going to cut it down to 84flex backstrom curve which is what i want.

rule of thumb is that you should use a flex half your weight.. so for you, a 65 would be ideal.. mind you, this is just a rule of thumb. i am 160 and have used flexes from 75-110. right now i am using bauers 77.. Cut down is about 80ish.

If you are very strong you can get away with using a stiffer stick. I could easily use a 100, but with the 77, I didn;t have to exert as much energy into the shots.

Lastly, you being 5'7, cutting a senior shaft would increase the stiffness drastically. I would go nothing more than an intermediate for your height. A senior 77 cut to the proper height for you will prob make the stick a 90 flex.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #433
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:

specs:
5"7 w/o skates
130 pounds

Pretty much what BlueG2 said. You're exactly the same height and just a few pounds lighter than I am, and I'm using an intermediate stick cut down an inch. Definitely look for a lighter flex- have you been using cut down sticks? If you're saying that you hadn't found a perfect stick that's probably because you've been using too stiff of sticks. Personally I'd recommend grabbing an intermediate shaft and blade and give those a shot. I started out with an Easton Typhoon shaft, which's only 30$ at CT, 70 flex and comes with an end plug. Give that a try if you think you're burning a hole through your wallet with all those sticks.
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #434
I don't get it

lol its actually the opposite im lookin for...

my WARRIOR stick is intermediate and it was 70flex to begin with and it cut it to my chin and i still dont produce a HARD fast slap shot...
i can feel it flexing so much when i slapshot. I've done alot of trials between these two ..

I guess consider that im 5"7 130pounds WITH lots of power...

with the reebok stick-um stick... its a senior but its like 90^flex and its like 3inches under my chin, i can produce a harder slapshot with this stick with out feeling any flex (idk if thats a good thing but it's giving me the results i want)... and its a lightweight stick.But i cant wrist shot cuz the stick is way too short, literally a grandpa trying to do a wrister. FYI, i found the RBK shaft somewhere idk the series of it but i'll prob drop by at sportchek to show them

Its whether im better off with 2 piece or 1 piece (just really tired of wasting money on sticks)...and I dont have time to go to a hockey shop :P
Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #435
RS Veteran

Quote:

my WARRIOR stick is intermediate and it was 70flex to begin with and it cut it to my chin and i still dont produce a HARD fast slap shot...
i can feel it flexing so much when i slapshot. I've done alot of trials between these two ..

with the reebok stick-um stick... its a senior but its like 90^flex and its like 3inches under my chin, i can produce a harder slapshot with this stick with out feeling any flex (idk if thats a good thing but it's giving me the results i want)... and its a lightweight stick.But i cant wrist shot cuz the stick is way too short, literally a grandpa trying to do a wrister. FYI, i found the RBK shaft somewhere idk the series of it but i'll prob drop by at sportchek to show them

Its whether im better off with 2 piece or 1 piece (just really tired of wasting money on sticks)...and I dont have time to go to a hockey shop :P
1)You can't really compare the low end bentley to a high end reebok.
2)you are supposed to feel your stick whip while shooting, and if your slapshot form is correct, then it should benefit from using a whippier stick.
3)the reason you cant wrist it, is because the stiffer your stick is, the harder it is to get a decent wrist shot away. hence use a whippier stick.

Another rule of thumb, you should be able to put about 1-2 inches of bend in your stick just flexing it without trying too hard.

with that said, I have been there and done that. When I used a 100 flex, my slappers felt good but I noticed I had to put a lot of energy into wristers to get them off. With the whippier stick, wrist/snap shots come easy, and slappers just need a bit of an adjustment when taking slappers... Try not to shoot the shit hell out of the puck and focus on proper form, and a good follow through/smooth weight transition. A lot of people slice/ chop at the puck you want a smooth backswing to follow through hitting the ice just behind the puck. The feeling of the whippier stick bending so much it is going to snap will pass, and you will get used to it.

Unless you are a defenceman, you should not worry about evolving your hockey game around a slapshot. It should be the last shot you really should be concerned about. literally, I take maybe 1 slapshot a game/pickup. I hate it when there are guys who just keep wiring slappers during pickup having no consideration of other player's well being..

sorry for the rant at the end lol

Last edited by Spidey; 10-13-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #436
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Helga,

What is your playing level? How strong are you on your skates?

Keep in mind, every brand of stick is going to be different from others, and every model will be different as well. If you can borrow a team mate's stick and play around with it during warmup, it will go a long way to helping you find the stick that you like best.

BlueG2, I agree that too many newbs start off with trying to take slappers. I watch a lot of people during warm up to try to assess who the skilled guys are on the opposing teams and I see the skilled guys taking wrist shots trying to pick the corners or crossbar while the newbs are taking slappers at an open net. As for pickup hockey, I don't like the idea that guys can take slappers. I've played in some where slappers are not allowed and find that much more fun. I like to keep my teeth and go to work the next day too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #437
I don't get it

well i guess im a noob... I can skate fast but cant shave the ice properly, just a shitty stop. I kno i have proper form of takin a slapshot and this is just for stick and puck. I prob wont do it in a game if i had a chance. Its just somethin im good at, my wrister isnt that great even tho i practice, its prob b.c my stick feels too short and im just bending my back alot just to get that lift
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #438
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
1)You can't really compare the low end bentley to a high end reebok.
2)you are supposed to feel your stick whip while shooting, and if your slapshot form is correct, then it should benefit from using a whippier stick.
3)the reason you cant wrist it, is because the stiffer your stick is, the harder it is to get a decent wrist shot away. hence use a whippier stick.

Another rule of thumb, you should be able to put about 1-2 inches of bend in your stick just flexing it without trying too hard.

with that said, I have been there and done that. When I used a 100 flex, my slappers felt good but I noticed I had to put a lot of energy into wristers to get them off. With the whippier stick, wrist/snap shots come easy, and slappers just need a bit of an adjustment when taking slappers... Try not to shoot the shit hell out of the puck and focus on proper form, and a good follow through/smooth weight transition. A lot of people slice/ chop at the puck you want a smooth backswing to follow through hitting the ice just behind the puck. The feeling of the whippier stick bending so much it is going to snap will pass, and you will get used to it.

Unless you are a defenceman, you should not worry about evolving your hockey game around a slapshot. It should be the last shot you really should be concerned about. literally, I take maybe 1 slapshot a game/pickup. I hate it when there are guys who just keep wiring slappers during pickup having no consideration of other player's well being..

sorry for the rant at the end lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Helga,

What is your playing level? How strong are you on your skates?

Keep in mind, every brand of stick is going to be different from others, and every model will be different as well. If you can borrow a team mate's stick and play around with it during warmup, it will go a long way to helping you find the stick that you like best.

BlueG2, I agree that too many newbs start off with trying to take slappers. I watch a lot of people during warm up to try to assess who the skilled guys are on the opposing teams and I see the skilled guys taking wrist shots trying to pick the corners or crossbar while the newbs are taking slappers at an open net. As for pickup hockey, I don't like the idea that guys can take slappers. I've played in some where slappers are not allowed and find that much more fun. I like to keep my teeth and go to work the next day too.
weren't you guys the ones who were cosigning slap shots at the RS drop in?
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #439
Big Drama Show

Quote:
well i guess im a noob... I can skate fast but cant shave the ice properly, just a shitty stop. I kno i have proper form of takin a slapshot and this is just for stick and puck. I prob wont do it in a game if i had a chance. Its just somethin im good at, my wrister isnt that great even tho i practice, its prob b.c my stick feels too short and im just bending my back alot just to get that lift
Posted via RS Mobile
didn't you play zinc 2 with me?

in all honesty, anyone playing in the bottom tiers shouldn't really worry about 'flex' and all that. I use a fairly standard stick cause i know i'm not that good and fancy with that shit
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #440
I don't get it

yes i played zinc 2... Flex does matter alot
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #441
Big Drama Show

I guess im just a harsh nub. Wrist shots are pretty much what i rely on during games
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #442
RS Veteran

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
how do you know your form is proper with slappers? you probably just feel more comfortable with it because you practice it a lot more than wristers... if you practice with improper form, you will feel comfortable with it, and then when you try to break bad habits, it will feel awkward.. if you were on jayare604s team in zinc2, no one had proper form for slappers.. so yea...

your wristers are suffering because of your flex and form. you can practice all you want but you will never be able to get a decent wrister off if you are using something you cannot bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
weren't you guys the ones who were cosigning slap shots at the RS drop in?
yes, what is your point? slapshots are fine in pickup if you are smart about it. i am talking about morons who just skate in and wire it just to make up for their small dick.

Quote:
didn't you play zinc 2 with me?

in all honesty, anyone playing in the bottom tiers shouldn't really worry about 'flex' and all that. I use a fairly standard stick cause i know i'm not that good and fancy with that shit
if you are a noob, it is more important that you get a good flex and proper height stick, or else you will get into bad habits and make life hard as hell for you. would you start out wearing skates 2 sizes too big? gloves one size too big, and a helmet 2 sizes too small? no. end of discussion.

Quote:
I guess im just a harsh nub. Wrist shots are pretty much what i rely on during games
Posted via RS Mobile
you are a harsh noob, and should be reading all the advice given in this thread, rather than giving advice.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #443
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ Hahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
Posted via RS Mobile
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #444
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Hey BlueG2. How are you liking your 2piece Base vs your old OPS Base? I have my analysis at Base this Sat and I don't know which I prefer. I've always used tapered 2piece but this winter I finally started to use OPS. (Warrior DD Dolo and Bauer X60). So far I like it, but I'm just wondering about being able to still salvage a OPS if it breaks....

Quote:

Get a proper flex with a proper length, save your money and work on your form. You don't have a wrist shot now and a $300 stick sure won't give you one either. When your able to pick your shots on net, then look into high end sticks.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #445
Big Drama Show

edit- nvm, blueg2 answered the question in an angry text lolol

should go back to my 70 flex stick

Last edited by spideyv2; 10-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #446
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Hey BlueG2. How are you liking your 2piece Base vs your old OPS Base? I have my analysis at Base this Sat and I don't know which I prefer. I've always used tapered 2piece but this winter I finally started to use OPS. (Warrior DD Dolo and Bauer X60). So far I like it, but I'm just wondering about being able to still salvage a OPS if it breaks....

Get a proper flex with a proper length, save your money and work on your form. You don't have a wrist shot now and a $300 stick sure won't give you one either. When your able to pick your shots on net, then look into high end sticks.
the 2piece is pretty much the same as the base 1 piece. the base ops os a fused 2 piece. i like them both. the reason i got the 2 piece wasso i can test out diff blades and for roller
Quote:
i know about the height thing, but what about the flex? what kinda bad habits?

drop some knowledge on us brah. not everyone has 14+ years experience of rec hockey
i have already tried to explained it to you and im not going to waste my time with you ignorance.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #447
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
my wrister isnt that great even tho i practice, its prob b.c my stick feels too short and im just bending my back alot just to get that lift
Posted via RS Mobile
That's not a wrist shot you're describing, it's more like a lob or a chip.

A proper wrist shot, requires loading the stick and having the stick whip the puck forward and up. The follow through on your wrist shot should have your blade facing down if you are doing it properly, which by the way you are describing it, you are not.

It wasn't til I played a good few years of rec roller that I learned proper shooting and using a good flex and letting the stick do the work. I started off on a 100 flex, and have now moved down into a Bauer 77 which is cut to about and 80'ish. I also have a 65 flex Base which I really like, it is very whippy and great for days where I am feeling a bit lazier and don't take the time to lean and form my shots 100%. When I play roller, I am exclusively in intermediate flexes. For ice, I prefer the low senior flexes.

I'm 175 and 5'8", and have found the sweet spot for my playing style to have the stick up to just below my chin. As a Dman, I initially started with a long stick, up to my nose, but found that the extra reach made me a lazier skater and not as good positionally, and I wasn't able to stick handle anywhere near as well. If I had more skills maybe I could manage the longer stick, but meh.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #448
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Base seems to be pretty popular here, because I also have one too. 65 int flex, with an inch cut off to give it some room under my chin, with a BC02, lie 5 blade. I'm loving it so far for snappers and whatnot, but lately I've been forcing myself to skate lower and lower- I find that it's been helping my snappers even more now that I'm loading it more. Though, my wristers are suffering but I don't think I need to change the stick.

I'm curious if it's a good idea to pull my top hand across my body and back? Kind of like an additional sweep motion during the loading of my stick. Right now my top hand is pretty static at shooting, just following my torso's rotation in front of my chest.
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #449
I don't get it

i do follow through its just not consistent and the sticks are too short. My warrior stick is fine wit wrister but i cant wrist it hard enuf... I dont lob it or chip it in like a noob.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #450
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

^ You can stop defending yourself. Got it, you're confident enough to play in your chosen tier and can shoot the puck with technique suited for your standards.

Be aware that there seems to be room for improvement instead of downplaying what others say.. if it's been repeated, chances are you can try it to improve your shot. I'm 5'7", 150 lbs and use a 77 flex stick on ice and a 52 flex in ball (we have no roller here in Calgary, just Superleagues.) Lean into it, use proper form and let the stick do the work.

That said, why don't you focus instead on stick handling, puck protection and overall gameplay? Shooting is such a one dimensional game.
pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: