REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #651
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
anyone know where I can order some goalie gear online without getting raped by shipping and duty?

Goalie monkey. Google it
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #652
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

There's no avoiding shipping costs and the only guaranteed way to pay no duties is to buy Canadian-made goalie equipment... that being said, Canadian-made is the way to go anyway. I have not found an off-shore goalie product that even comes close to it's Canadian-built counterpart.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #653
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
icewarehouse offers free shipping on orders over 100. but theres still a high chance of being dinged at the border just because of how expensive the stuff costs.
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
There's no avoiding shipping costs and the only guaranteed way to pay no duties is to buy Canadian-made goalie equipment... that being said, Canadian-made is the way to go anyway. I have not found an off-shore goalie product that even comes close to it's Canadian-built counterpart.
Anything North American made is duty exempt, due to the NAFTA agreement.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #655
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
After having used 2 Easton RS's for 2 month's, I am back using my T-one's.
First RS broke in the middle from a slapper and the warranty replacement stick broke in the middle from getting a 2 handed chop.

Putting my 6 lie Backstrom T-one side by side with my 5.5 lie Hall RS, the lie on the T-one is actually lower than the RS. The 6 lie is more like a 5 lie which suits me much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #656

Took a high stick to my face during my div7 ashl game tonight, needed 4 stitches where my brow is right above my eye, got really lucky. So looks like I'll be getting a cage now..ugh(gf is making me). Any suggestions or are they all the same?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #657
RS controls my life!

some cages have flat bars in them so you can see more which is what I use....saved my face like 4 times at least..

http://www.greatskate.com/product/id...-FaceMask.aspx
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #658
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Anything North American made is duty exempt, due to the NAFTA agreement.
Really?
Posted via RS Mobile
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
After having used 2 Easton RS's for 2 month's, I am back using my T-one's.
First RS broke in the middle from a slapper and the warranty replacement stick broke in the middle from getting a 2 handed chop.

Putting my 6 lie Backstrom T-one side by side with my 5.5 lie Hall RS, the lie on the T-one is actually lower than the RS. The 6 lie is more like a 5 lie which suits me much better.
There's no industry standard to measure lie so each company will be different.

Quote:
Took a high stick to my face during my div7 ashl game tonight, needed 4 stitches where my brow is right above my eye, got really lucky. So looks like I'll be getting a cage now..ugh(gf is making me). Any suggestions or are they all the same?
You play on Kelly's team?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renxo View Post
some cages have flat bars in them so you can see more which is what I use....saved my face like 4 times at least..

Bauer - Bauer 9900 Oval FaceMask
I've seen the ones that are painted white on the inside to help blend in with the ice, I think Bauer made it..those any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
Really?
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes. But other than Tackle, I'm not really sure what gear is made in N. America

Quote:
You play on Kelly's team?
Yup. I assume you've played with him before?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #661

We now get the same Tackla pants the US had in retail for many years. Made in Thailand by Montreal Hockey Co

Eagle PPF (Made by Vaughn, they used to make pants under the Tackla name in Canada before the Eagle buyout) and Warrior Hustlers are the only two Canadian made retail player pants I can think of off the top of my head right now.

It's hard to find North American-made player gear nowadays unless you go custom or pro stock.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #662
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,645 Posts
ASHL is going to require mandatory minimum half-visor next year
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
ASHL is going to require mandatory minimum half-visor next year
Posted via RS Mobile
Is this something you know or just basing off what happened to me? I was wearing my visor when this happened, albeit it's the oakley slim aviator(?) The one that Crosby wears. It made me wonder if the other players blade got caught between my face and visor.
I ended up getting 4 stitches between my right eye and brow and a swollen eye as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #664
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,645 Posts
Quote:
Is this something you know or just basing off what happened to me? I was wearing my visor when this happened, albeit it's the oakley slim aviator(?) The one that Crosby wears. It made me wonder if the other players blade got caught between my face and visor.
I ended up getting 4 stitches between my right eye and brow and a swollen eye as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
That's what both the operators of Langley twin and 8 rinks told my buddies who are tight with them, operators went to some big meeting in the states last month
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #665
UFO

I've never had vision issues with wearing a cage, in some cases not having a piece of plastic between my eye and the playing surface is better. The only thing I didn't like with cages was how heavy they were. I got a hold of an Itech Ti cage and its miles better than a traditional cage. The Bauer 9900 is similar in weight to the Itech Ti, and the flat bars supposedly help with vision.

The one downside to playing with a cage, its next to impossible to draw highsticking penalties. I've been whacked multiple times and it usually goes undetected. If you go down holding your face after getting sticked in the cage, its really just a dive. Small price to pay to keep your face intact though, especially teeth.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That's what both the operators of Langley twin and 8 rinks told my buddies who are tight with them, operators went to some big meeting in the states last month
Posted via RS Mobile
Well, if that was to happen, it be pretty interesting, considering so many players don't like visors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I've never had vision issues with wearing a cage, in some cases not having a piece of plastic between my eye and the playing surface is better. The only thing I didn't like with cages was how heavy they were. I got a hold of an Itech Ti cage and its miles better than a traditional cage. The Bauer 9900 is similar in weight to the Itech Ti, and the flat bars supposedly help with vision.

The one downside to playing with a cage, its next to impossible to draw highsticking penalties. I've been whacked multiple times and it usually goes undetected. If you go down holding your face after getting sticked in the cage, its really just a dive. Small price to pay to keep your face intact though, especially teeth.
I don't see the Itech Ti on Cylone's or THS websites. I do see the Bauer 9900 though. I'll need to go and try them on cause cages are generally too big for my face, hence why I switched to a visor. As for drawing penalties, ref's are never on my side for that. I pretty much need to be injured like this to draw a penalty and sometimes I still don't draw one.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #667
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The Itech titanium cage is discontinued. I say wait till the new Bauer cage comes out in the spring/summer...if you can...

Quote:
Well, if that was to happen, it be pretty interesting, considering so many players don't like visors.

I don't see the Itech Ti on Cylone's or THS websites. I do see the Bauer 9900 though. I'll need to go and try them on cause cages are generally too big for my face, hence why I switched to a visor. As for drawing penalties, ref's are never on my side for that. I pretty much need to be injured like this to draw a penalty and sometimes I still don't draw one.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #668
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if it is an insurance issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #669
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

what do you think about the s17 stick? friend of mine said he can sell it to me for cheap brand new
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #670
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
if the s17 still has warranty on it break it. easton will ship you a s19
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #671
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66350...-new-post.html
Posted via RS Mobile
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
what do you think about the s17 stick? friend of mine said he can sell it to me for cheap brand new
I'd stay away from the S17. The listed flexes were way off and durability was laughable. How cheap are we talking about?

What pattern/hand/flex do you use?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #673

So went to Rich Ctr Sport Chek and picked up the Bauer 9900 cage today. Looks like I'll be needing a new helmet as well cause 5 of the major screws I need to take out are all rusted on really good. I don't think I can take them out without breaking anything.

So any reccomendations on helmets?

*edit* Looking at either the S19 or 8K/7K.

Last edited by 6thGear.; 02-26-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #674
RS Veteran

Quote:
I'd stay away from the S17. The listed flexes were way off and durability was laughable. How cheap are we talking about?

What pattern/hand/flex do you use?
Agree, the blade on my S17 split only after a few games.
cdnav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #675

It's too difficult to recommend a helmet online because each company's helmets will have a distinct fit and nobody's heads are the same shape.

But in general I'd get something mid-range with VN foam (ex. Bauer 4500, CCM V08) opposed to the more expensive helmets that use EPP foam. I'm using a CCM V10 with EPP right now and I regret not getting the V08 instead. VN is more comfortable and absorbs sweat better so it doesn't run down my face.