REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #501
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Yah i got excited earlier when the rep told me there was a 5K helmet. I thought it was the same EU market jofa one. But they were coming out with a brand new 5K for the NA market which is 4K shell but with epp foam and memory foam liner.
Advertisement
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #502
I don't get it

does any1 play goalie here? for goalie sticks.... are foam core sticks lighter than composite? cant find any answers from google. If so... is Itech any good? currently im using a wood rbk 4k luongo stick.... very heavy.
Helga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #503
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I'd skip Itech hockey sticks. You don't see any NHL goalies using them for a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #504
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga View Post
does any1 play goalie here? for goalie sticks.... are foam core sticks lighter than composite? cant find any answers from google. If so... is Itech any good? currently im using a wood rbk 4k luongo stick.... very heavy.
Composites will be lighter but foam core sticks are superior IMO. Foam core is less expensive, they dampen the shots more and have an overall better feel.

Of course it comes down to personal preference but two sticks I would recommend are the Sherwood 9950 and Warrior Swagger. You can save a little bit of money by buying pro stock if the paddle height works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'd skip Itech hockey sticks. You don't see any NHL goalies using them for a reason.
Could also be Itech doesn't exist anymore after the Bauer buy out. I think Brent Johnson and Rick DiPietro were the last couple of guys to use Itech sticks before the Bauer branded ones came out.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #505
I don't get it

im going for this most likely based on what it says "ultra lightweight"
Itech GSPRO Foam Sr. Goalie Stick
yea im not too serious about picking goalie sticks... just want a cheap "ultra" light one for the price, doesnt have to be durable.

but yea i googled about ur recommendations, 9950 and 5030 are good but im cheapin' out :P
Helga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #506
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Does anyone know where to get gear fixed, specifically my goalie pads one of the knee stacks tore at the seem.
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga View Post
im going for this most likely based on what it says "ultra lightweight"
Itech GSPRO Foam Sr. Goalie Stick
yea im not too serious about picking goalie sticks... just want a cheap "ultra" light one for the price, doesnt have to be durable.

but yea i googled about ur recommendations, 9950 and 5030 are good but im cheapin' out :P
I'd much rather spend a little bit more money up front instead of buying something inferior just to end up upgrading it soon after. All said and done that Itech will run you $52 ($40 + $5 oversize + $7 shipping.) This is not including any other fees (assuming you are driving down to Point Roberts and picking it up from there.) At least it's made in Canada so you won't have to pay any duty on it.

I would try calling some local shops first to see what they have in stock for Full Right Pro Returns first before ordering online. I remember Cyclones had a stash of Josh Harding TPS sticks sitting there for the longest time. It'll run you a little bit more but hey, it's a pro grade stick.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #508
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
ice skate guru's, in terms of build quality, which brand ranks best for you and why? prefer to not get any biased responses.

thanks
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #509
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
I have RBK 7K goalie skates and just breaking them in now. Iv heard stories that rbk's break down quicker but we shall see.
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #510

Props to Base hockey. Picked up my Base OPS yesterday, came in 2 weeks, which was the promised time. They were also cool with me hanging around and shooting in their mini rink for an hour. One of the guys even shot around with me. Tip for anyone going onto their synthetic ice, make sure your skates are dull, makes it a lot easier to skate on. I went with sharpened skates for my analysis and almost bailed and cracked my head open..lol. Don't want to forget to mention, the brunette working there is pretty hot! Haha.
Posted via RS Mobile
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #511
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Higher end Bauer skates have been the most durable for me in the past in terms of boot construction but I've since switched for the sake of comfort in RBK, which do tend to break down sooner. Personal preference though.
pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #512
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
ice skate guru's, in terms of build quality, which brand ranks best for you and why? prefer to not get any biased responses.

thanks
There are a lot of factors that attribute to durability: size/weight, how often you play, where you play (i.e. what league), how you treat your skates (during and post games), whether you buy a skate suitable to your skill level, etc.

In my experience, Eastons seem to evaporate. I have teammates who have since switched away from them, and had their 1500c/1200c/any other Easton composite boot disintegrate after a year. Stiching falls apart, toe caps coming off, cracks, you name it. It's really unfortunate since Easton's fit me the best. I've read that their S17s are a huge improvement, but I'm not sure I'm buying into that. Their EQ50s look fairly sturdy too. Oh and the Razor holders- just do a quick search on ModSquadHockey and you'll see what they're all about.

You can never go wrong with Bauers. My original Vapors-turned-inlines are still stiff as hell (after 4 years), and my old Supremes are a bit on the soft side, but still have lots of life in them.

But in my experience it's anything but Easton.

An aside: Although it's good to be concerned with your investment's returns, it's more important to look at fit. You can have the most indestructable skate, but if it doesn't fit you won't be using them. If you fit Bauers, great! Otherwise, don't go looking for skates based on durability instead of fit. (I'm sure you know this already, and this isn't meant to treat you like you're stupid, but needless to say it's still good information).
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #513

Bauer.

Not biased at all...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #514
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
are those all T1s??
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #515
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

just received my mission 120AG. barely cost over $100 with shipping
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #516
My homepage has been set to RS

RBK 8K Pro Elbow Pads SIZE 4 BRAND NEW Reebok Jofa | eBay

8k elbow pads size 4 (small) if anyone wants/and has the money. this is what you see the pros wear on tv lol.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
RBK 8K Pro Elbow Pads SIZE 4 BRAND NEW Reebok Jofa | eBay

8k elbow pads size 4 (small) if anyone wants/and has the money. this is what you see the pros wear on tv lol.
That's too bad. I need new elbow pads since my 6K's are all worn out, but 4's are too small. I need 6's I think.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
are those all T1s??
gearwhoring to the max. If you like something, might as well stock up on it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
gearwhoring to the max. If you like something, might as well stock up on it.

I have a couple more P92 lie 5 on order but they are back ordered till Feb 2012.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 11-07-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #520
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

I have a couple more P92 lie 5 on order but they are back ordered till Feb 2012.
I couldn't deal with the massive back order on p92's so I opted for the p14 instead (Toews). It's basically identical to the p92 ( slightly smaller toe). Check out the p14 as an alternative.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #521
My homepage has been set to RS

lots of love for the totalONE

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #522

I thought I was in love with my P92 Total One, till last night.
I bought an Easton RS 85 flex Hall (old Sakic curve) 5.5 lie and I love this stick. It feels more balanced and lighter than the TO, and is whippier even though it is rated as an 85 flex. Now I know why Bieska and Edler are snapping a stick per game and why Rome has such a booming shot this year.

My only concern now is durability.

After 4 months of use, one of the TO's has lost some of it's snap and so 80% of my shots/passes are knuckle balls.

Now, what do I do with 3 new uncut TO's?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #523
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Give them to me
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #524
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
so.... this is the longest I've ever had a pair of skates for, I tink it's probably 4-5 seasons now. My feet stopped growing so I didn't need to replace them... But now my skates are completely fucked, rivets keep coming out even after replacing with new ones, etc. Currently rocking the first gen 9k pumps. I was thinking about going with the white 9ks because theyre super cheap right now, and I know I'm fine with the weight and feel of my current skates.

buttttt... the 11ks are out as well, I think they're like 500ish? But If they're much different from my 9ks I don't wanna even bother with spending the extra $$ anyone have any experience with them?
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
so.... this is the longest I've ever had a pair of skates for, I tink it's probably 4-5 seasons now. My feet stopped growing so I didn't need to replace them... But now my skates are completely fucked, rivets keep coming out even after replacing with new ones, etc. Currently rocking the first gen 9k pumps. I was thinking about going with the white 9ks because theyre super cheap right now, and I know I'm fine with the weight and feel of my current skates.

buttttt... the 11ks are out as well, I think they're like 500ish? But If they're much different from my 9ks I don't wanna even bother with spending the extra $$ anyone have any experience with them?
The 11K's have the felt tongue. IIRC, the discounted 9K's have that thin poor excuse of a tongue. I kept getting lace burn on my ankles and upgraded to felt tongues.

Besides that, I think the 11K boots are slightly stiffer and marginally lighter.

I know the heel/ankle padding is different. The 11K's look like they have more material.

I'm thinking about getting new skates too, but I think the 9K's will be good enough for me. Not worth the extra couple hundred $$$'s for the 11K's.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing