REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #376
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I find that when I play with my \gloves Bauer Vapor X20, they get really wet and moist. That wetness stays in the gloves and 3/4 into the game it feels pretty nasty.

If I go with higher end gloves does it have better ventilation/moisture wicking?
Advertisement
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #377
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
I find that when I play with my \gloves Bauer Vapor X20, they get really wet and moist. That wetness stays in the gloves and 3/4 into the game it feels pretty nasty.

If I go with higher end gloves does it have better ventilation/moisture wicking?
depends.. if you get the gimmicky bauer gloves with dri fit etc it will wick moisture away, but think about how bad your dri fit shirts smell if you don't wash them after every wear.

goatskin is supposed to be pretty good at preventing bacteria from accumulating, but in time, they prob will start to smell. I like pro gloves where the palms are either nash, or some kind of leather. I will wash my gloves about 1-2 times a year without any issues... soak in bucket of water, aggravated for 5 mins.. then shove them in my front load washer... doesn't seem to damage the fabrics at all. I will generally go through gloves every 2-3 years max
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #378
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETIGER View Post
i guess that means you're not a accustomed to spreading your legs haha

what set did u get?
Posted via RS Mobile
I got myself some RBK discontinued pads at Cyclones for cheap dont remember the model, how did your sale go?
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
depends.. if you get the gimmicky bauer gloves with dri fit etc it will wick moisture away, but think about how bad your dri fit shirts smell if you don't wash them after every wear.

goatskin is supposed to be pretty good at preventing bacteria from accumulating, but in time, they prob will start to smell. I like pro gloves where the palms are either nash, or some kind of leather. I will wash my gloves about 1-2 times a year without any issues... soak in bucket of water, aggravated for 5 mins.. then shove them in my front load washer... doesn't seem to damage the fabrics at all. I will generally go through gloves every 2-3 years max
so I can throw my gloves into the washing machine then? Can I also throw the rest of my gear in there too?

As for the moisture wicking, which gloves have that feature? I want to try it out and see if it's for me or not.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #380
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
so I can throw my gloves into the washing machine then? Can I also throw the rest of my gear in there too?

As for the moisture wicking, which gloves have that feature? I want to try it out and see if it's for me or not.

You will know if they gloves have dri fit in them.. most if not all bauer's have them since it is a product of Nike. Even their shoulder pads, elbows etc have have dri fit technology in them, which I am not a huge fan of.

I have thrown every piece of gear (expet helmet and skates) into my waser without any issues... Mind you, I have a front loader. If you think about it, it shouldn't ruin things like elbows and gloves. Top loaders may be a big harsher due to the agitator, but it all should be fine... With hockey gloves, you are better off just soaking and washing by hand, since just washing it in the wash isn't thorough enough. I just throw it in the wash jur for added cleanliness/the spin cycle to get the glove dryer
Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #381
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If you wanna see how gross your gloves/gear is. Fill your bath tub or whatever with scalding hot water, and dump your gloves in. After about 5 minutes, there will be brown/black/whatever crap floating in the water.

Just soaking in hot water cleans it SOMEWHAT, because it does kill some bacteria. But it will likely still smell a little bit. Dont forget to hang dry them thoroughly in a cool ventilated area, otherwise mold and bacteria will just grow in them again right away.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #382
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
whos got these hockey shooting pads and can give me insight if u ever shot on one?
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #383
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Got a Getzlaf blade, switching from an Iginla, and maaaan I'm shooting flutter pucks all day long, although it's considerably faster and straighter for some reason. I wonder what should I change in the shooting form to use a heel wedge properly?

darthchilli, I happen to have a big sheet of plastic in my garage for shooting practice, and it's pretty good depending on the friction on it. Obviously it won't be ever as smooth as real ice and if you're shooting with shoes on the ground, there'll be some height difference from skates but worth the practices in my opinion. Taken 1000's of shots on it and it's helped me immensely on the ice so far, great time killer if your wrists ain't killing you or anything. If it's big enough you can practice some stickhandling drills too.
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #384
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYClovis View Post
Got a Getzlaf blade, switching from an Iginla, and maaaan I'm shooting flutter pucks all day long, although it's considerably faster and straighter for some reason. I wonder what should I change in the shooting form to use a heel wedge properly?

darthchilli, I happen to have a big sheet of plastic in my garage for shooting practice, and it's pretty good depending on the friction on it. Obviously it won't be ever as smooth as real ice and if you're shooting with shoes on the ground, there'll be some height difference from skates but worth the practices in my opinion. Taken 1000's of shots on it and it's helped me immensely on the ice so far, great time killer if your wrists ain't killing you or anything. If it's big enough you can practice some stickhandling drills too.
how is it possible you are shooting straighter and faster when you also said you are shooting flutter pucks. you just need to adjust.. i am not a big fan of heel curves at all, even though i never really used them i cant imagine using one.. i like mid-toe curves since i take a lot of wristers and not really a snap shot kinda guy...
Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #385

The puck itself is travelling faster and straighter, but it's just flipping end over end where as when I was shooting with the Iginla blade, it was spinning as flat as a frisbee but moving as slow as molasses in air. I was looking into heel curves since that I find that I prefer handling the puck closer to the heel of my blade and shoot from there even with a mid curve. It felt more comfortable to stick handle and shoot so far on the shooting pad, I'll try shooting in a stick and puck later in the week.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #386
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:

need to find myself this plastic piece
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #387
RS Veteran

Quote:
The puck itself is travelling faster and straighter, but it's just flipping end over end where as when I was shooting with the Iginla blade, it was spinning as flat as a frisbee but moving as slow as molasses in air. I was looking into heel curves since that I find that I prefer handling the puck closer to the heel of my blade and shoot from there even with a mid curve. It felt more comfortable to stick handle and shoot so far on the shooting pad, I'll try shooting in a stick and puck later in the week.
that is weird how it is going faster even when the puck is fluttering... are you using a different flex? you need to change your form a bit between diff types of blades... you need to practice and see what works and get used to it.. when i used a toe curve for the first time, i had to get used to letting the stick do the work and just slinging the puck off the toe... and accept the fact that my backhand will suffer.. i have since gone back to my bread and butter p88.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #388
Banned By Establishment

Bauer Total One or Easton S19?
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #389

darthchilli: Depends on the size you're looking for. I splurged and went with a hockeyshot.com roll up shooting pad that's big enough to practice stickhandling but if you're purely shooting you could go with a Viceroy shooting pad that's a lot smaller and cheaper. Should able to find them online.

BlueG2: Same flex, I just swapped the blades. I think it has mainly to do with the fact that I was switching from a closed blade to an open blade that's causing the fluttering, while the heel curve itself's more intuitive to my current form, I'll just experiment with it.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #390

Quote:
darthchilli: Depends on the size you're looking for. I splurged and went with a hockeyshot.com roll up shooting pad that's big enough to practice stickhandling but if you're purely shooting you could go with a Viceroy shooting pad that's a lot smaller and cheaper. Should able to find them online.
You can find those viceroy pads at sportchek for about $25 I think.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #391
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

A bit OT, but I remember hearing about a hockey forum that's the shits when it comes to anythng about gear, would that be modsquad?
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #392
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
A bit OT, but I remember hearing about a hockey forum that's the shits when it comes to anythng about gear, would that be modsquad?
Seems to be. They have a ton of info.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #393
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Can anyone chime in on the Easton Stealth S999? I don't recall hearing this before. It's on sale at THS, both SR and INT.

Easton Stealth S999 Intermediate Composite Stick - The Hockey Shop Source for Sports | Bauer, CCM, Warrior, Reebok, Vaughn, Brians, Gongshow, NHL, Goalie

I broke most of my main sticks and blades/shafts and I'm down to my backups, so I would like some new sticks, but haven't bought any in the past 3 yrs, so some help would be greatly appreciated!
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #394
My homepage has been set to RS

Goalie position

Helmet: Bauer NME9
Skates: Reebok 4K
Pants: Reebok SR-S
chest: Reebok 11K
Leg pads: Vaughn V4 7450
Glove: Vaughn Epic T-8800
Blocker: Vaughn 7070
Stick: Bauer Supreme One 100
Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #395
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Has anyone tried the one60 skates? And what do you think of them?
Posted via RS Mobile
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #396
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartone View Post
Has anyone tried the one60 skates? And what do you think of them?
Posted via RS Mobile
I am not bashing you personally, but people who ask "how is this" for certain equipment need to realize that it is all personal preference and how much you want to spend. For me, I would not get anything lower then the 2nd down from the top of the line products for skates. I can tell the difference, and I like a firm boot. The mid-lower end models generally have cheaper materials and are not as supportive for players who play more than once a week, therefore will probably break down faster.

You should put down your skill level, how often you play, and what you expect from your skates, and people can generally give you better info on products.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #397
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Oh okay. Well I'm just starting out hockey and I plan to join a beginners league later this year. I play stick and puck about once a week or so.
I'm currently using ccm v04 but I'm finding that I don't get enough ankle support out of it. I've tried on the one 60s and one70s but I didn't notice a big difference or any between the two. So I'm not sure if I should just dump the extra $100 for the one70s if I don't feel a difference.
Posted via RS Mobile
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #398
G
Banned (BBM)

^ @bartone

I am currently using the one60's and I think they are not bad. When I was trying on skates with SolidPenguin I really loved the Vapor's a lot more (I forgot what model, but it was more expensive). I would have bought the vapor's if I had the cash, but since I didn't really want to spend that much and since I am not playing in the NHL or anything, I just got the one60's.

They are not bad all around, but in terms of comfyness, I really liked the vapors more. Just my 0.02.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #399
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartone View Post
Oh okay. Well I'm just starting out hockey and I plan to join a beginners league later this year. I play stick and puck about once a week or so.
I'm currently using ccm v04 but I'm finding that I don't get enough ankle support out of it. I've tried on the one 60s and one70s but I didn't notice a big difference or any between the two. So I'm not sure if I should just dump the extra $100 for the one70s if I don't feel a difference.
Posted via RS Mobile
The biggest differance between the One60 and One70 is that the One60 is a traditionally lasted boot with a plastic heel counter, what this means is that while the One60 can be heated in the oven, the skate itself will not really mold as the shape is already pre-dictated by the heel counter.

The One70 on the other hand uses the Bauer Supreme Anatomical fit system where the skate is built without a heel counter, this allows the skate to be molded much closer to your heel/ankle giving you more customization/support.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #400
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

anybody using the mission axiom skates? i'm looking at the t8, but they only come in D's and EE's. i'm currently using missions in a 10E.
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote