REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #501
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
You shouldn't have any issues because your parents are there for 48+ hours. I often come back with a bottle of wine or a 6 pack after getting gas/package from PR and I've never had an issue.
Posted via RS Mobile
Normally if under 48 hours, alcohol are not exempt under your exemption as per cbsa website. For my parents and my aunt/uncle (they are going too), it shouldn't be an issue. However if I'm driving them back, I hope the guard is able to separate my parents/aunt/uncle from me, that we are 3 separate families (live at different addresses), and they can apply the correct exemption to the right families.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #502
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
Does anybody know or experienced the following:

My parents, also nexus members, are going on a Alaska cruise and then arriving in Seattle. They will be away for more than 48 hours. My parents want me to pick them up and they also want to buy a case of beer. If I'm going down on a one-day trip using the Nexus card, and we are coming back together in the Nexus lane, will the Nexus guard hassle us for the alcohol because I'm going down for the day?
Posted via RS Mobile
I would guess no... but personally I'd just use the regular lane to be safe. Not worth the possible hassle over a case of beer.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #503
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I would guess no... but personally I'd just use the regular lane to be safe. Not worth the possible hassle over a case of beer.
Wouldn't taking a regular lane when everyone is a Nexus member come off kinda suspicious?
Posted via RS Mobile
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #504
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
Does anybody know or experienced the following:

My parents, also nexus members, are going on a Alaska cruise and then arriving in Seattle. They will be away for more than 48 hours. My parents want me to pick them up and they also want to buy a case of beer. If I'm going down on a one-day trip using the Nexus card, and we are coming back together in the Nexus lane, will the Nexus guard hassle us for the alcohol because I'm going down for the day?
Posted via RS Mobile
As long as your parents are the ones who bought the alcohol during their 48 hour stay then they are fine. Within their exemption of course.

If you go buy a 24case of beer and expect to get let through its not going to happen.

The guard won't hassle you, let them know your parents have been gone for 48 hours, they are bringing back some alcohol and goods within their allowance and you just went to go pick them up...no need to use the regular lane.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #505
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Wouldn't taking a regular lane when everyone is a Nexus member come off kinda suspicious?
Posted via RS Mobile
not at all. nexus users use the regular lanes all the time for a variety of reasons.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #506
FB6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Nope, you could be taking the regular lane because the Nexus lineup is longer, etc.. I never had any problems taking the regular lanes when everyone in my car had a Nexus card.
FB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #507
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Does anyone know how to update employment status info on the GOES site?
there's no button to update it, last time I crossed with my Nexus the US guard asked me where I worked (Different from where I worked when I applied a year and a half ago). He was nice about it and didn't tell me it didn't match or anything. I didn't have any difficulties crossing so maybe it doesn't matter what it says in the system?

Also does anyone know where you can find the rule book for the Nexus online? (The one that was given to you before you left the enrolment center) I'm struggling to find online.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #508
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
there's no button to update it, last time I crossed with my Nexus the US guard asked me where I worked (Different from where I worked when I applied a year and a half ago). He was nice about it and didn't tell me it didn't match or anything. I didn't have any difficulties crossing so maybe it doesn't matter what it says in the system?

Also does anyone know where you can find the rule book for the Nexus online? (The one that was given to you before you left the enrolment center) I'm struggling to find online.
I'm pretty certain that the rule book has nothing on updating employment, but I'll check again when I get home.

Perhaps a trip to the NEXUS office is the only way to do it? There is a 1800 number that you can call for inquiries.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #509
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post

You'll need to walk in and do it in person.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #510
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Heads up for anyone that has Nexus but requires a I-94W to cross into the states.

When we had our Nexus interview in Janurary, the US Nexus officer told us that if we do not have a valid I-94W, then we can not use the Nexus lane.

This is not true. We crossed through into the US using the regular lane yesterday and were sent inside to get the I-94W. The US border officers were asking us why we were using the regular lane. They said we can use the Nexus lane even without a valid I-94W. You still have to go inside, but at least it beats waiting in the regular lanes.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #511
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Heads up for anyone that has Nexus but requires a I-94W to cross into the states.

When we had our Nexus interview in Janurary, the US Nexus officer told us that if we do not have a valid I-94W, then we can not use the Nexus lane.

This is not true. We crossed through into the US using the regular lane yesterday and were sent inside to get the I-94W. The US border officers were asking us why we were using the regular lane. They said we can use the Nexus lane even without a valid I-94W. You still have to go inside, but at least it beats waiting in the regular lanes.
What's an I-94W?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #512
I'm invisible

Is that the permit slip from the US border if your not a Canadian resident or something. Before we crossed the border with the wife, nobody asked or told us that we needed a valid I94 for her. Finally one time later, they looked at her passport and said she needed the slip even if we are Nexus members. So now every 6 months when we cross we need to get her a new slip. You can add the i94 to the Nexus file. Now even if we add the I94 info to her Nexus file, the US border guard always ask for her passport.
Posted via RS Mobile

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/internatio...4-instructions

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 04-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #513
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
What's an I-94W?
Seriously

Let me google that for you
Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #514
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

nexus noob here. my passports going in for a week to the consulate for visa stuff. can i get through point roberts with just my nexus card and no passport? the only time i've used my nexus, they never asked me to provide my passport. they just asked the standard questions after i scanned my card and i was on my way.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #515
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
For land crossings, you do not need to have your passport at all -- just having your Nexus card suffice. As a matter of fact, it is possible for people to have a Nexus card, but no valid passport.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #516
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
For land crossings, you do not need to have your passport at all -- just having your Nexus card suffice. As a matter of fact, it is possible for people to have a Nexus card, but no valid passport.
Hmmm interesting,
When I went into the interview, they said that I always need a valid passport, if it's expired, I have to renew it right away and notify the goes program that the passport expired and is being renewed, but yes, you do not need to carry your passport for the land crossing, just for air travel and sea travel
Posted via RS Mobile
kkthind is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #517

I think the guy meant that for air and sea travel, you must absolutely be ready to produce your valid passport when you are asked to do so. Having just the Nexus card is not enough for that.

But for land crossings, valid passport is not necessary. At least, that has always been my understanding of the Nexus rules.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #518
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^I don't think this is true. FWIW, my friend crossed via the Peace Arch and the border guard reemed her out for not updating her passport info and said he could deny her entry and have her nexus card revoked.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #519

There are at least 2 separate issues here. Which one are you saying it is not true?

- whether a person must have a valid passport along with his Nexus card during air, sea, or land crossing
- whether a person needs to update his passport info with GOES

Obviously for #2, a person must always maintain passport info with GOES. I never deny that.

All I'm saying is, you don't need to have your passport with you during land crossings. As a matter of fact, you don't even need to have a passport to get a Nexus card. But you do have to maintain your current and up-to-date info with GOES.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #520
My homepage has been set to RS

u can connect ur nexus card to citizenship card. (so passport exp. doesn't matter ) was told when i was travelling with my nexus and passport number had changed

flew to usa (nyc) and back without passport (carried only nexus card)
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #521
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
u can connect ur nexus card to citizenship card. (so passport exp. doesn't matter ) was told when i was travelling with my nexus and passport number had changed

flew to usa (nyc) and back without passport (carried only nexus card)
now how you manage to do that?
Posted via RS Mobile
kkthind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
Didn't know about this -- I am definitely gonna look into it.

But yes, it sounds absolutely nuts that you didn't have a passport and still flew to NYC...
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #523
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
it states when ur info changes u gotta update ur GOES , so when her passport expired she had to change all that and thats prob why she got reamed

edit : didnt see someone already stated that ^^^^

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #524
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkthind View Post
now how you manage to do that?
Posted via RS Mobile

it was only an issue when AC was issueing me a boarding pass. it took them a few min. but they managed.... but of course it would have been easier w/ passport (had flight booked in j , so they were willing to go extra mile). didnt have any problems in US either/ or on the way back.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #525
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I applied for Nexus on March 31 and I have my interview on Apr 30!

I got approved for conditional acceptance this morning and lucked out with this appointment. All the other openings were in July.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote