REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #176
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
if you're getting around Tokyo and going to other cities via shinkensen then get JR pass..it also covers the n'ex from nrt to tokyo.
here's what it covers in Tokyo...but some times it's easier just to take metro and other private lines

http://supermerlion.com/wp-content/u...r_east_map.jpg

if you want pick up the JR voucher same day then silkway
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 AM   #177
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
if you're getting around Tokyo and going to other cities via shinkensen then get JR pass..it also covers the n'ex from nrt to tokyo.
here's what it covers in Tokyo...but some times it's easier just to take metro and other private lines

http://supermerlion.com/wp-content/u...r_east_map.jpg

if you want pick up the JR voucher same day then silkway
As someone who lives in Tokyo, I agree.
It depends on where you want to go... If you're just going to stay in Tokyo, then you can even walk around and still get around to the places you want to go...

But honestly, metro is so much better than JR for getting to the core in Tokyo.
speedyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #178
I don't get it

Just booked my trip to Japan in November. Can anyone recommend any weird places to go to. For example, Monster Cafe, Robot Restaurant etc. places that are not food related.

Thanks!
lilgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #179
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgurl View Post
Just booked my trip to Japan in November. Can anyone recommend any weird places to go to. For example, Monster Cafe, Robot Restaurant etc. places that are not food related.

Thanks!
what the fuk.... 2002 join date and a "gurl"?

hello my friend

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #180
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

Thanks!
Monster cafe and Robot restaurant have food, so they are food related.

I lived in Tohoku (northern Japan) for close to 4 years and highly recommend going there if you'd like an alternative to the big cities that Tokyo and Osaka offer.

If you're willing to go there, I'd highly recommend going to Tashirojima (also known as "Cat Island") in Miyagi prefecture. Another place I'd recommend around that area is the Zao Fox Village in Shiroishi.

I'm not sure if that's "weird" enough for you, but those places definitely gave me memorable and interesting experiences.

Last edited by neggo; 11-16-2016 at 01:22 PM.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #181
My homepage has been set to RS

Man...Osaka looks incredible. I got to visit it now. How much would one budget for Japan for 2 weeks? 1000?

subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #182
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Maria Ozawa @ 12:58
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #183
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
and a "gurl"?
But, little gurl.......... so
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #184
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
Monster cafe and Robot restaurant have food, so they are food related.

I lived in Tohoku (northern Japan) for close to 4 years and highly recommend going there if you'd like an alternative to the big cities that Tokyo and Osaka offer.

If you're willing to go there, I'd highly recommend going to Tashirojima (also known as "Cat Island") in Miyagi prefecture. Another place I'd recommend around that area is the Zao Fox Village in Shiroishi.

I'm not sure if that's "weird" enough for you, but it was definitely an interesting experience.
oops I mean other places that are not food related =p

Yes that is weird enough for me haha if there is anymore recommendations, keep them coming =)
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #185
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
what the fuk.... 2002 join date and a "gurl"?

hello my friend

hahaha hello there
Yup still an LG =p
Old 08-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #186
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:

Thanks!
I just got back this week from Japan.

Robot Restaurant is in Kabukicho (red light ditrict), it's 8000 yen per person (105CAD) plus food/drinks. I skipped out but checked out that area. There's Golden Gai which is pretty cool. Have like 200 puny little bars in a small area. Each have their own theme, but pretty pricey (500-1000 yen entrance then 700-1500 for each drink). Some places don't have cover before 7pm, others don't welcome new people, but still interesting to walk through.

Otherwise there's the Imperial Palace, Temples (Asakusa Disctrict), if you like that sort of stuff.

Tsukiji Market (fish market) is a foodies paradise. Nothing weird other than trying "weird" foods not native to North Americans.

Shibuya is shopping district which is walking distance to Harajuku. Which is more shopping and snacking. Harajuku during the afternoon weekend is kind of when the cosplay people come out.

Akihabara is the Anime/Toy shopping area. Basically shopping and Maid Cafe's.

Odaiba is a man made island with shopping and a Carnival theme (Ferris wheel, etc).

Roppongi is more the clubbing/nightlife district.

I'd suggest to just youtube things to do in Tokyo. Watch the videos and see what floats your boat.

I'd say Tokyo is really more for shopping and eating. Everything is food/drink related (ie. Maid/Monster/Cat/Owl/etc Cafe's, Robot Restaurant, etc).

My suggestion bring a good small sized umbrella with you. When it randomly rains it POURS. Like soak through all your clothes in minutes kind of rain.

Bring comfortable shoes, something you can walk 5+ hours in. It gets painful. You won't have the luxury of driving/cabbing. 5 min cab rides are like $30 bucks. And being stuck in traffic it will add up fast. So walking and public transit are pretty much your only way around unless you're balling.

Make sure to rent a portable wifi (700yen/day), it'll be your lifeline to getting around without wasting too much time with maps. All the airports have booths to rent it from. Make sure to plan out what to do roughly so you're not wasting time going from one side of town to another then back again.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 08-26-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #187
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
oops I mean other places that are not food related =p

Yes that is weird enough for me haha if there is anymore recommendations, keep them coming =)
Thanks!
I live in Tokyo as well and if my family or friends visit, these are the places I'd probably take them.

* Odaiba - my favourite place here in Tokyo. Ppl who think of Tokyo as this pretty and futuristic city, this is what my impression of Odaiba was. Taking the monorail alone into Odaiba gives you a good view/tour of the Rainbow Bridge and the island itself. Bonus: The Gundam Robot statue is there was well.

* Shinjuku & Shibuya (They're only a couple train stations away from each other). These two places are exactly what people see about Japan in movies and TV. ie. Shibuya crossing is pretty iconic. These places have everything: Shopping, Restaurants, Nightlife. IMO, just walk around and get lost and pop into anything you find interesting. The shopping and eating is pretty good everywhere in those areas for the most part.

* Ueno - Has the Ueno Zoo (for Pandas) and also Ueno Park. Both are big crowds draws but honestly, you'll just have to get used to that.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #188

i like the Overnight series on Youtube...looks like it's gaining views fast if he's getting maria ozawa cameo.

OT, I feel Japan is backwards in terms of ccard acceptance. or is everything so advanced that the locals are using NFC?

Even at a large forex place they wouldn't take my RBC debit with Cirrus/Plus...luckily I had USD cash
Old 08-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #189
How I Mod your mother

I can't stress enough on the portable wifi eggs that you can rent.
You can also rent them ahead of time and have them delivered to your hotel which is what we did - it saved us tons of time trying to figure out where to go.

I would definitely visit Shibuya crossing, but I'm biased because that was the highlight of our Japan trip to me.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #190
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Portable Wifi hotspot is the only way to go. Relying on a wifi subscription where supposedly they are all over the city DOES NOT WORK. Reception is always HORRIBLE no matter where you are
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i like the Overnight series on Youtube...looks like it's gaining views fast if he's getting maria ozawa cameo.

OT, I feel Japan is backwards in terms of ccard acceptance. or is everything so advanced that the locals are using NFC?

Even at a large forex place they wouldn't take my RBC debit with Cirrus/Plus...luckily I had USD cash
Japan is still very much a cash based society. Debit cards and credit cards are seldom used, and many shops and restaurants still only accept cash.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #192
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
Japan is still very much a cash based society. Debit cards and credit cards are seldom used, and many shops and restaurants still only accept cash.
That's not true. A lot of the restaurants, shops - including small 'convenience/cosmetic' store all accept credit cards - Amex included. Combined with $ loaded onto a Pasmo/Suica (where a lot of small ramen shops using those "machine" to order is accepted), I barely used much cash during my last trip few months ago. Even taxi's in Toyko accept credit cards...

Most department / clothing stores etc usually give 5% off for using Visa / Union Pay if you meet the minimum spent (usually the same limit as the duty-free).
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #193

taxi, train stations, convenient stores and some random dessert shops...that was it for me in terms of CC acceptance. I saw the Suica sign a few times but they didn't make it very accessible to tourists

yep, public wifi is practically unusable...much better infrastructure in Taiwan/Korea.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #194
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
I just got back this week from Japan.

Robot Restaurant is in Kabukicho (red light ditrict), it's 8000 yen per person (105CAD) plus food/drinks. I skipped out but checked out that area. There's Golden Gai which is pretty cool. Have like 200 puny little bars in a small area. Each have their own theme, but pretty pricey (500-1000 yen entrance then 700-1500 for each drink). Some places don't have cover before 7pm, others don't welcome new people, but still interesting to walk through.

Otherwise there's the Imperial Palace, Temples (Asakusa Disctrict), if you like that sort of stuff.

Tsukiji Market (fish market) is a foodies paradise. Nothing weird other than trying "weird" foods not native to North Americans.

Shibuya is shopping district which is walking distance to Harajuku. Which is more shopping and snacking. Harajuku during the afternoon weekend is kind of when the cosplay people come out.

Akihabara is the Anime/Toy shopping area. Basically shopping and Maid Cafe's.

Odaiba is a man made island with shopping and a Carnival theme (Ferris wheel, etc).

Roppongi is more the clubbing/nightlife district.

I'd suggest to just youtube things to do in Tokyo. Watch the videos and see what floats your boat.

I'd say Tokyo is really more for shopping and eating. Everything is food/drink related (ie. Maid/Monster/Cat/Owl/etc Cafe's, Robot Restaurant, etc).

My suggestion bring a good small sized umbrella with you. When it randomly rains it POURS. Like soak through all your clothes in minutes kind of rain.

Bring comfortable shoes, something you can walk 5+ hours in. It gets painful. You won't have the luxury of driving/cabbing. 5 min cab rides are like $30 bucks. And being stuck in traffic it will add up fast. So walking and public transit are pretty much your only way around unless you're balling.

Make sure to rent a portable wifi (700yen/day), it'll be your lifeline to getting around without wasting too much time with maps. All the airports have booths to rent it from. Make sure to plan out what to do roughly so you're not wasting time going from one side of town to another then back again.
this is awesome!! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #195
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I live in Tokyo as well and if my family or friends visit, these are the places I'd probably take them.

* Odaiba - my favourite place here in Tokyo. Ppl who think of Tokyo as this pretty and futuristic city, this is what my impression of Odaiba was. Taking the monorail alone into Odaiba gives you a good view/tour of the Rainbow Bridge and the island itself. Bonus: The Gundam Robot statue is there was well.

* Shinjuku & Shibuya (They're only a couple train stations away from each other). These two places are exactly what people see about Japan in movies and TV. ie. Shibuya crossing is pretty iconic. These places have everything: Shopping, Restaurants, Nightlife. IMO, just walk around and get lost and pop into anything you find interesting. The shopping and eating is pretty good everywhere in those areas for the most part.

* Ueno - Has the Ueno Zoo (for Pandas) and also Ueno Park. Both are big crowds draws but honestly, you'll just have to get used to that.
Will keep all of this in mind! Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #196
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
I would tend to agree it is more cash based vs. say here.

Really depends on where you are going. If you are going to any small seat eatery/restaurant ie. ramen then they pretty much only take cash. If you plan to eat big chains and stick to big box stores etc...then yes most of those will take CC. I would say bring your food budget/trains in cash and anything else you can most likely get away with CC.

Last edited by Expresso; 08-29-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
That's not true. A lot of the restaurants, shops - including small 'convenience/cosmetic' store all accept credit cards - Amex included. Combined with $ loaded onto a Pasmo/Suica (where a lot of small ramen shops using those "machine" to order is accepted), I barely used much cash during my last trip few months ago. Even taxi's in Toyko accept credit cards...

Most department / clothing stores etc usually give 5% off for using Visa / Union Pay if you meet the minimum spent (usually the same limit as the duty-free).
You're talking specifically about Tokyo, where they have to cater to huge amounts of tourists and foreigners...

Travel an hour outside of Tokyo to neighboring prefectures like Tochigi, Gunma, Ibaraki, etc... and you'll be out of luck without cash in hand. Travel up north to Tohoku and it's even harder.

If you look at Japan as a whole, they are still very much lagging behind in regards to using cards as methods of pay.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #198

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
But, little gurl.......... so
feelsbadman

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #199
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Would staying 10 full days in metro Tokyo considered as overkill? Currently planning my itinerary using this thread and japan-talk site so far.

There's this tax-free system that I read, stating I whip out my passport to places with the tax free logo. Would it be worth the trouble carrying my passport around or do very few places have that logo?

My airbnb is located near Gotanda station (past south of Minato). 20-30 minute train to heart of Tokyo. Is this considered far?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Would staying 10 full days in metro Tokyo considered as overkill? Currently planning my itinerary using this thread and japan-talk site so far.

There's this tax-free system that I read, stating I whip out my passport to places with the tax free logo. Would it be worth the trouble carrying my passport around or do very few places have that logo?

My airbnb is located near Gotanda station (past south of Minato). 20-30 minute train to heart of Tokyo. Is this considered far?
If I could do my trip over again I would do 14 days and go to other parts of Japan as well. I stayed 7 in Tokyo and felt like it was enough. The tax free system is basically for the major chain stores like Bic Camera or Uniqlo but you need to spend a certain amount before you get tax free, usually about 5000 yen.